Kerbal Space Program

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Kerbal Space Progam

Post by jztemple2 »

What's the "big helper mod"?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote:What's the "big helper mod"?
Probably the MechJeb autopilot mod:
http://kerbalspaceport.com/mechjeb/" target="_blank

For people that mostly like the piloting the mod might be a bit of a cop out, but even with it there are plenty of tasks that are still difficult, and for those of us that really enjoy the design portions of the game it saves a lot of failed launches when testing out new ships. :P

I'm also using the KW Rocketry mod that adds an assortment of new engines, fuel tanks, covers, etc.
http://kerbalspaceport.com/0-18-1-kw-ro ... verhauled/" target="_blank

And I've been experimenting with the Home mod a bit to try and setup a Munbase:
http://kerbalspaceport.com/0-18-1-h-o-m-e-start-kit/" target="_blank
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I guess vanilla? The only mod I have is KSP Rocketry which adds some equipment I think.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just curious thanks. I am jealous.

I have a ship chasing Duna... missed by 20 million meters. Oops.
I was going for Minmus, but ended up with my orbit way off axis so I just hit the gas and headed for Duna. :lol:

My biggest problem is work. I get a perfect launch, make the gravity turn then get an email and deal with that. While I am dealing with that I miss apoapsis and the opportunity to establish orbit.... again! One of these days I will learn to save while I am coasting to apoapsis.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Finally Mun successfully with the two stage lander!! Now to get back to earth orbit, and build a space station so the lander can dock :)

Using MechJeb while I get my ship builds sorted.
landed by peldor_au, on Flickr
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote:Using MechJeb while I get my ship builds sorted.
Yup, MechJeb seems pretty awesome and I've just begun using it. If I had known there was something like MechJeb out there I might have picked up KSP a while ago. I'm a pretty awful throttle jockey and much prefer to design and build. Using the auto ascent function lets me experiment with different configurations without messing up my data with poor piloting.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote:Don't know if this was highlighted before, but over on the KSP forum there's a thread called Beginner's Guide which has a link to a pretty nice 31 page PDF guide for the beginner. It probably goes beyond what a beginner needs, but it's a good overview of what you can do in the game.
So, despite posting that the my computer doesn't meet the game's specs, I downloaded the demo and gave it a try. It seems to run fine, so off we go.

I tried to build a few things on my own, which failed spectacularly. So, I opened up the beginner guide and built something like the first orbital ship. I managed to get it into orbit, even if it was on some arbitrary inclination due to my terrific piloting skills. Unfortunately for pilot "Bill", when I tried to end my orbit circularization burn, instead of pressing X to cut throttle I pressed space, which separated the engine and fuel from the command module. So, the first Kerbal in orbit will end up staying there far longer than expected.

After that, I just played around with a few sub-orbital hops to get used to the controls. A couple of highlights:

* One rocket started heading back toward ground, and the pilot just kept grinning away. This guy actually survived, after shutting down the throttle and performing a couple of quick emergency stage separations. I was surprised he didn't get crushed by his own booster while under parachute.

* Another I flew straight up from the pad, and performed stage separations before the gravity turn. The CM came successfully landed maybe 100 meters from the tower, punctuated by the explosions from the first-stage boosters coming home. The VIP viewing stands were not amused by this.

In any event, it's time to get out the credit card.
Conform or be cast out!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I made it! I made it to the Mun... and on my next try I made it to the Mun and back home!!!

On the first attempt I waited too long to slow my descent and match lateral movement. Lost the motor, fuel, landing struts... but the command pod survived!

The second attempt went much better. I tried to run one of the stranded guys over to ride the ladder back to earth, but I forgot a ladder... and landed too far away anyway.

Here's my ship. There may be an inefficiency or two, but it is completely my own design. :twisted:

I'm not sure you can see all the fuel, there are 10 of those big orange tanks... :shock: plus the 3 half tanks on the lander. The 10 orange tanks got me into earth orbit. The little tanks got me to the Mun and back. It's amazing how easy it is to get off the Mun.

Here we are on the Mun:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote:but I forgot a ladder...
Well, at least your intentions were good :roll:
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jztemple2 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:but I forgot a ladder...
Well, at least your intentions were good :roll:
It was still leaning up against the side of the VAB. :)
Conform or be cast out!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm very excited about this. Using the Mechjeb mod, I've been flying orbital missions while trying out new configurations. In this last one I added legs to my command module stack and managed to land right at the space port :D . Mind you, I did run out of fuel just as I touched down, but I can work on that.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Those screenshots have persuaded me to download the demo. I played a very early version of this game and found it too fussy -- I could never get a rocket into orbit and gave up after a few tries.

Is the demo a fair representation of the current game?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kraken wrote:Those screenshots have persuaded me to download the demo. I played a very early version of this game and found it too fussy -- I could never get a rocket into orbit and gave up after a few tries.

Mostly. I think the demo is mainly just missing a bunch of new parts that are available in the full version, and I don't think mods will work with the demo, but I've never tried.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes, the demo is a good representation of the current state of the game. The only difference I noticed was the number of parts available.

If the fiddliness you are referring to is about the flight perhaps that Mechjeb mod could be helpful. I haven't used it myself, but I hear it's nifty.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote:If the fiddliness you are referring to is about the flight perhaps that Mechjeb mod could be helpful. I haven't used it myself, but I hear it's nifty.
I was thinking the same actually. I don't think I would enjoy the game all that much without Mechjeb to do the tedious stuff.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Kraken wrote:Those screenshots have persuaded me to download the demo. I played a very early version of this game and found it too fussy -- I could never get a rocket into orbit and gave up after a few tries.

The demo is based on a very recent build, so yes. I actually found it easier to get into orbit in the demo than with the full game, because I didn't have access to the massive fuel tanks and giant engines that have caused so many of my recent creations to go ka-blooey.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

coopasonic wrote:If the fiddliness you are referring to is about the flight perhaps that Mechjeb mod could be helpful. I haven't used it myself, but I hear it's nifty.
Several folks above said that the mods don't work with the demo, only the full version. Too bad, really.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote:
I was thinking the same actually. I don't think I would enjoy the game all that much without Mechjeb to do the tedious stuff.
You say tedious, I say fun and interesting. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote:I'm currently trying to dock a lander stage and propulsion stage that I launched separately. Will try to post a picture tonight, presuming I don't fail spectacularly. I am very bad at both orbital rendezvous and docking maneuvering.
Last night's docking excursion ended in failure due to human error. Twice. The first time, I discovered that I accidentally had a spent decoupler ring blocking one of the docking ports. The second time, I got confused and rendezvoused with the wrong object in orbit. :grund:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote:
AWS260 wrote:The second time, I got confused and rendezvoused with the wrong object in orbit. :grund:
I can certainly sewe how that would happen. My orbit is full of spent stage 2s and various craft I decided to leave there.

Actually before bed I killed a bunch of orbiting ships but don't have a way to deal with the debris. I guess it would be good rendezvous practice to go up there and knock it all out of the sky. :doh:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

coopasonic wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
You say tedious, I say fun and interesting. :)
I want to design and manage a program, not babysit missions. The demo should tell me whether there's enough of a strategy layer to interest me. I will bear in mind that there's a mod to automate the touchy stuff.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The current alpha game doesn't have a strategy layer. It looks like there is going to be something of the sort, but right now you have a sandbox for building and launching/flying space craft and nothing else.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote:The current alpha game doesn't have a strategy layer. It looks like there is going to be something of the sort, but right now you have a sandbox for building and launching/flying space craft and nothing else.
Yeah, as I understand it there will eventually be a Buzz Aldrin style campaign where you complete goals for money and manage your program, but none of that has been implemented yet.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Kraken wrote:I want to design and manage a program, not babysit missions. The demo should tell me whether there's enough of a strategy layer to interest me. I will bear in mind that there's a mod to automate the touchy stuff.
Probably not yet. The list of planned features includes several items that are probably up your alley, but not implemented yet; e.g.:
Crew Tasks: Have the crew take charge of controlling the ship

Astronaut Complex : Hire and train kerbonauts

Research and Development : Discover and Improve Parts (from a tech tree)

Mission Control Room : Create flight plans and take on missions and challenges
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sepiche wrote:
coopasonic wrote:The current alpha game doesn't have a strategy layer. It looks like there is going to be something of the sort, but right now you have a sandbox for building and launching/flying space craft and nothing else.
Yeah, as I understand it there will eventually be a Buzz Aldrin style campaign where you complete goals for money and manage your program, but none of that has been implemented yet.
Bummer. I'll have a look at it anyway since I went ahead and snagged the demo.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote:I want to design and manage a program, not babysit missions.
Yeah, this game (at this point) isn't any of that at all. It's all rocket design and the rodeo that follows. I got so into that part - that I worry I'll be burdened by any 'space program'/finance wrapper they ultimately slap onto it.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote:
AWS260 wrote:I'm currently trying to dock a lander stage and propulsion stage that I launched separately. Will try to post a picture tonight, presuming I don't fail spectacularly. I am very bad at both orbital rendezvous and docking maneuvering.
Last night's docking excursion ended in failure due to human error. Twice. The first time, I discovered that I accidentally had a spent decoupler ring blocking one of the docking ports. The second time, I got confused and rendezvoused with the wrong object in orbit. :grund:
Success!

Launched separately:

Image Image

Docked in orbit:

Now, where to go?
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

AWS260 wrote: Success!
Wow, those are very nice designs
Stefan Stirzaker

Nice work, I'm trying to get my space station hooked up, got a fuel cargo ship that will take fuel up to refuel my inter planetary ships. Cutting down weight on the exploration modules.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sheesh, I just don't think I have the patience for rendezvous much less docking. Too bad Mechjeb doesn't have an auto-docker, I'd be all over that in a second.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

jztemple2 wrote:Sheesh, I just don't think I have the patience for rendezvous much less docking. Too bad Mechjeb doesn't have an auto-docker, I'd be all over that in a second.
Yeah, after devoting the last couple of nights to just getting these things docked, I think that I need a few days off from the game. On the other hand, I'd love to see this in orbit around another planet...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

After an hour with the demo I can appreciate the complexity of the missions you guys are describing. Are you playing scenarios with some structure, or are you figuring all this out entirely on your own?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote:After an hour with the demo I can appreciate the complexity of the missions you guys are describing. Are you playing scenarios with some structure, or are you figuring all this out entirely on your own?
The latter, very much so.
Stefan Stirzaker

After 10 tries at intercepting into space, using a mod to reach orbital rendevous.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/sho ... 1-0-3-ORDA" target="_blank
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Stefan Stirzaker wrote:After 10 tries at intercepting into space, using a mod to reach orbital rendevous.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/sho ... 1-0-3-ORDA" target="_blank
Holy crap, this is what I was looking for. It's not easy :roll: but I've run through the tutorials and I think I understand it better.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This the orbital rendezvous and docking tutorial that I found most helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkY3FusJIQ.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Made my first couple of successful dockings with Mechjeb and ORDA. Very happy :mrgreen:
Stefan Stirzaker

Ditto. I'm still trying rendevous and docking myself, getting closer. I will get there :) But for now ORDA has allowed ISS Stirz to be possible

docking by peldor_au, on Flickr

docked ISS Stirz by peldor_au, on Flickr

3500 delta v goodness to resupply the interplanetary landing fleet. Now to build them!! oh and get them to orbit.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

AWS260 wrote:This the orbital rendezvous and docking tutorial that I found most helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHkY3FusJIQ.
I also thought that the Phoenix Project videos were quite good.
Conform or be cast out!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Plotting a course to the gas giant Jool. I'm currently in the light blue orbit (technically, in orbit around the planet that is in the light blue orbit), and I want to go to the green orbit. The curving dotted line shows my intercept course:

Conducting the transfer burn:

Success! I'm carrying a ton of velocity as I head toward Jool, so I aerobrake in the upper atmosphere to avoid shooting overshooting the planet:

I'm in a highly eccentric orbit now, but I think I have enough fuel left to straighten things out and pick a Joolian moon to land on.