If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Hard Reset...PC only story shooter ---video up

Post by Daehawk »

A teaser trailer for it

PC only so Im feeling good on it. Strikes me as a Bladerunner meets Terminators
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: Hard Reset...PC only story shooter ---video up

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Demo is out now. It's fun but could get tired of it quick. not sure it's worth $25. Ill wait and see.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

For a shooter aspiring to be old school, there's nothing old school about the demo. It took me less than 15 minutes, and I'm a slow gamer.

It was fun while it lasted. The environments are nice. Takes you back to the days when it took more than two shots to down an enemy. But it seems rather bland, and there's nothing novel about the whole "interact with the environment thing". You shoot barrels or consoles. They explode. Explosions hurt stuff. They had that in, like, Pong.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I picked this up. I'm having fun, but I like old school shooters. You really need to use the environment for kills (barrels, electricity), because otherwise, you'll just have trouble. I imagine the harder the difficulty the more important that becomes. Lots of secrets, most of them pretty easy to find so far, but I've only completed the first two levels. Still using the two starter guns, so I can't comment on the others yet. I've put upgrades into general combat stuff instead of getting different guns.

They have some type of scoring system and leaderboards. I don't know what matters for the score yet, though I'm not sure I'll be motivated enough to try to get perfect scores on levels.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Not really my type of game by the looks but Total Biscuit has a playthrough up of the prerelease build here. In short he seemed to like it but didn't love it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Seems a bit expensive for only 4 hours of gameplay that I've read about. And what's a "story" shooter - doesn't seem to have much story from what I've read.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I'll let you guys know how long it takes me to finish it. I'm playing on Insane and basically have to find every secret/NANO, so we'll see. I'm already at 3.7 hours after level 2, but it took me an hour to finish the second level, and I replayed it because I missed some NANO (I think 70 minutes the first time and 45 the second time).

No idea why it would be a story shooter. The story is entirely skipable.

One other note. It uses checkpoints for saves. So far, the checkpoints have been entirely reasonable. Every time I've died the checkpoint has been right outside the room I died in.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Effidian wrote:No idea why it would be a story shooter. The story is entirely skipable.
I think every game needs some kind of story, no matter how rudementary; even if they just leave you to concoct your own story. They can't just give you a gun and say "Kill Everything" and keep people going.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Paingod wrote:
Effidian wrote:No idea why it would be a story shooter. The story is entirely skipable.
I think every game needs some kind of story, no matter how rudementary; even if they just leave you to concoct your own story. They can't just give you a gun and say "Kill Everything" and keep people going.
I agree, I think Grifman was talking about the title of the thread calling it a "story shooter" and I was just saying it didn't have much of a story.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Effidian wrote:
Paingod wrote:
I agree, I think Grifman was talking about the title of the thread calling it a "story shooter" and I was just saying it didn't have much of a story.
Yeah, that's my point. I've seen people saying touting this being set in a Bladerunner or cyberpunk world but there's not all that much to that "world".
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I got frustrated on Insane (good frustrated, the kind I expect from it) and so decided to try a Normal game to see how long the game was. If you don't search for secrets or explore for NANO, then 4 hours is about right on Normal. Hard or Insane are going to take longer and getting all the NANO will also take you longer. So basically, it will depend on how you play this type of game.

There is new game+, that lets you keep all your nano. No changing difficulty though.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Effidian wrote:There is new game+, that lets you keep all your nano. No changing difficulty though.
I was mistaken, you can do a new game+ at a different difficulty.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Hard Reset Redux was recently released:
The acclaimed First-Person Shooter returns fully upgraded, and more beautifully challenging than ever. Hard Reset Redux is a brand new version of the cyberpunk classic that includes all the content of previous editions, and adds new improved gameplay, enhanced visuals and additional content to make this the Definitive Edition of Hard Reset.
Hard Reset Redux is an action-packed and hardcore single-player shooter which embraces the best qualities that the genre has it offer. It includes over-the-top destruction, loads of enemies, great weapon variety, a challenging campaign and a beautifully realized cyberpunk setting. Having been originally developed to shake-up the shooter scene on PC, Hard Reset now returns to do it again on a new generation of hardware.

* Brand New Cyber-Katana Weapon: A powerful new weapon which provides an effective close range combat option
* Brand New Enemy Type: Various variants of a threatening new Cyborg Zombie now lie in wait for unsuspecting players
* New Quick Dash Move: Provides players with a new movement option in battle to help avoid incoming attacks and enemies
* Enhanced Visuals: The game has been updated to the newest version of the RoadHog engine and includes improved lightning and effects
* Improved Performance: Enjoy faster Load times, a new Quicksave feature and full joypad support
* Rebalanced Gameplay: The game now includes improved difficulty levels and better pacing
* Different Enemy Placement: Enemies are introduced differently throughout the game, and provide a new challenge for even the most seasoned Hard Reset veteran
also, 85% off if you own the original Hard Reset or Shadow Warrior [2013] - this makes the final cost $3:
All owners of any digital version of the original Hard Reset will receive an 85% discount on Hard Reset Redux. This discount will go into effect today, and will last for the lifetime of the game. Please note that this discount is non-stackable though, so it cannot increase in combination with other promotions of the game.

You don’t have to do anything: This discount will show up automatically when you purchase Hard Reset Redux, so you don’t have to do anything to get as long as you’ve purchased some version of Hard Reset in the past with the same Steam Account that you’re using to purchase Hard Reset Redux.

Fun for Shadow Warrior Fans too!: All owners of Flying Wild Hog’s epic rebirth of Shadow Warrior (2013) will also receive this discount, and everything above applies to them as well.
i did read one review that said the new sword weapon and dash movements makes the game significantly easier.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate how companies have the nerve to call their game 'acclaimed '. Ya right.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I remember that game being really flippin' hard, so the twitch crowd should be all over it. Hooray for different tastes!
There is no hug button. Sad!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I played it. I beat it. I don't actually recall much about it. There was some fun stuff, obviously. I did finish it. I don't remember it being that hard. Maybe in a couple of the fights. Of course, I don't play any of these on hard difficulty any more.

I'm mostly ambivalent on this news. It's unlikely that I would replay the game. Maybe. Some day. If I run out of other games to play (HA!).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote:I hate how companies have the nerve to call their game 'acclaimed '. Ya right.
I hate when they call them "story shooters" myself :lol:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote:I played it. I beat it. I don't actually recall much about it.
That was how I felt about the original; I never actually got around to finishing it. It was fairly forgettable, but mechanically a fair 'shooter' - so I'm pretty ambivalent about a second one.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Hard Reset Redux is $1 right now on Fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/hard-reset-redux