WoW questions for beta testers

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sam Hell

WoW questions for beta testers

Post by Sam Hell »

Having just preordered World of Warcraft (WOOHOO!) I have a couple questions that I can't readily find answers to.

Can you have multiple characters on one server? Say one horde and one alliance? I hope not.

How does the skill system work? Are there "skill points" of some sort?

Thats all for now. Thanks
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

Ive only played in the stress test and I know they were tweaking the skill system in the closed beta after that but in the test you gained a point for every 300 experience points or thereabouts. You then use those points to buy skills like mining, alchemy etc..

You also could have multiple characters on one server, doesnt matter what race/side they're on. I had about 6 characters on one server, 4 alliance and 2 horde and 2-3 more characters on other servers.
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

They have recently changed the horde/alliance character creation process I believe; if you have a Horde character on a server you can't create an Alliance guy on that server and vice versa - or at least that'll be the behavior when the game launches (people have characters on both sides now but these characters were created before this rule was put into place).

As for tradeskills, they just reworked it recently. You are now allowed to take up to two "major" tradeskills and any "minor" ones you want. Major ones are blacksmithing, leatherworking, tailoring, enchanting, alchemy, mining, skinning, herbalism, and engineering. Minor tradeskills are cooking, first aid, and fishing. This change was to prevent capped characters from picking up all the tradeskills.

Note that blacksmithing, tailoring, engineering and leatherworking all have sub-specializations (for instance, I believe blacksmiths can specialize in weapon or armor, and I know there are 3 types of leatherworking specializations).

Note also that people think the gathering skills (herbalism, mining, skinning) should NOT count as a main tradeskill, but they do. I don't think that's going to change between now and release.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Sam Hell

Post by Sam Hell »

if you have a Horde character on a server you can't create an Alliance guy on that server and vice versa
Excellent. It would be real, real dumb to be able to have both on the same server for obvious PvP reasons.

Thanks for the answers guys, I guess thats why it's not readily available on the WoW site, because it's in flux as of now.

One more question, have they set a monthly price point? I heard rumors of $13.99, which would be OK. I paid $14.99 for SWG for a year :?