If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Saints Row The Third...Saints go all Tron

Post by Daehawk »

Taking on the Deckers..

VIDEO
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
baelthazar

Re: Saints Row The Third...Saints go all Tron

Post by baelthazar »

You know, the second one didn't wow me... but this does look like idiotic over-the-top fun.
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

I had issues with the second one, as I couldn't find an obvious way to invert the mouse.

Hopefully that is resolved with this one, as I would like to play one of these at some point without requiring a console.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ive been playing this for 2 days now. I had skipped it since owning it because I just didn't think there was anything to do other than run over people and do the missions.

Boy was I WRONG. Theres WAY too much stuff to do lol. I'm having a blast. So far I've ran some kinda weird ass kill or be killed obstacle course, stolen a car with a passenger and had to scare them so much they jumped out, ran some missions which are a great amount of fun, changed my gang to reflect my style, took over a penthouse.....you name it you can do it.

The most fun I have though is stealing a car, putting the radio on the MIX station which is music of the 80's and some 90's maybe and just cruising around. Or I just sit and listen. That music station is AWESOME. Takes me back to being a teen with my first car. I cant explain how fun it is to listen to Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax and having 12 cop cars chasing me :)

Only down side is I saw 4 Lambos when I didn't want one and now that I do I cant find one. :)

So much fun...too fun.
jnecros

Post by jnecros »

Thinking about picking this up, but am wondering: how hard is this game? I am still stuck in SR 2 at The Brotherhood missions, wiped out 2 of the gangs, but then it just got too difficult for me.

I just suck at these sorts of games I guess, but I never beat GTA 3 or 4 due to difficulty as well. Plus I dislike having to dive to the mission start area over and over after getting killed during them.

So, is this harder, the same or easier than SR2 or GTA 4?
We need about 3/4 less human ape on the planet..come on apocalypse
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im just 3 missions in and it feels really easy.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

jnecros wrote:Thinking about picking this up, but am wondering: how hard is this game? I am still stuck in SR 2 at The Brotherhood missions, wiped out 2 of the gangs, but then it just got too difficult for me.

I just suck at these sorts of games I guess, but I never beat GTA 3 or 4 due to difficulty as well. Plus I dislike having to dive to the mission start area over and over after getting killed during them.

So, is this harder, the same or easier than SR2 or GTA 4?
I've gone through it twice. There's some challenging missions but I wouldn't call it hard. I'd put it on the same level as gta4 but I never played SR1 or 2.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, it's pretty easy. I don't think I had to retry any of the storyline missions more than once. Some of the challenges though were pretty tough.
Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The difficulty can reduced greatly, by buying the right upgrades in-game, and making good use of all the silly toys you have, including calling in homies and other generic gang members to help you in fights.

It's something I don't see enough people use, whenever I got into a big fight in the game, I always called up more help.

There's upgrades that straight up make you impossible to kill in game, but available only later.
jnecros

Post by jnecros »

Cool, I ordered it for the console so I can play from the couch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jnecros wrote:So, is this (SR3) harder, the same or easier than SR2 or GTA 4?
This is easier than SR2. I tried SR2 and I can't get close to finish as I'm very bad at doing the graffiti takeover missions. You can even buy upgrades (through respect points) to make things even easier. I think by the end of the game you're practically bulletproof, car collision proof, flame-proof, and almost explosion proof, and infinite ammo on all your weapons (which can be "upgraded" as well).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Daehawk wrote:Im just 3 missions in and it feels really easy.
It gets harder, particularly the optional missions.

But you have to remember SR3 is not about challenge, it is about style. Like Kasey said, by the end of the game you are a walking God, able to shoot explosive death from your tank or jet, wielding deadly guns with almost unlimited shots, nearly invincible to single bullets. So the challenge does not come from the single cop car that comes to stop you, but the entire SWAT team combined with members of this special military task force using missiles against you on foot. When you get to that point, you revel in glee at the sheer insanity of it all.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Just make sure you play the game with style. Do the crazy things you've always wanted to do in other games but couldn't. Don't try to just shoot enemies down like any other shooter. Call in those crazy fun things. In trouble? Call in a homie with a tank. Doing a side mission? Call in some named characters and listen to their crazy banter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Or do the crazy challenges... Mow down pedestrians, streaking (yes, you can do that in this game) esp. scaring little old ladies, and more.

The missions get crazier and crazier, and many of them are about the crazy scores you need to make while under a time limit, but some of the missions are crazy, like... use a "honey wagon" to deface the evil corporation's properties, or learn prat fall and score huge insurance scam damages from car vs. you collisions...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

what is the name of the song that plays during the mission where you jump out of the helicoptor and parachute onto the rooftop (where the party is at)?
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

MythicalMino wrote:what is the name of the song that plays during the mission where you jump out of the helicoptor and parachute onto the rooftop (where the party is at)?
Kanye West - Power
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

awesome...really like that mission because of that song...

I thought it was Kanye West, but wasn't sure.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
jnecros

Post by jnecros »

I bought the full package, and it is completely unhinged. I suspect the game designers experimented with LSD when coming up with some of the content. I am having fun though, but some of the missions are very difficult
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Grind a bit to upgrade and it becomes very easy. You can unlock invulnerability a bit at a time.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zarathud wrote:Grind a bit to upgrade and it becomes very easy. You can unlock invulnerability a bit at a time.
You either have to do a LOT of grinding, or essentially beat the game to get full invulnerability. The top upgrades generally cost quite a bit and require a minimum "level". The invulnerability ones are going to require you be at least mid-40's. And you are going to need to have control over the majority of the areas in order to have the income necessary. Though I suppose you could just leave the game running for hours and every few minutes go in to transfer the accumulated money to your account.

Probably easier to just play.

Actually... just realized I misread Zarathud as "You can unlock invulnerability in a bit of time". He is correct, you can pick up some damage reduction much earlier. But the initial reductions are in the realm of 5-10%; it's likely you won't really notice.

What you WILL notice is when you are able to upgrade some of the weapons to better versions. I love my smgs that set enemies on fire. Weapon upgrades get costly, but don't have level restrictions.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jnecros wrote:I bought the full package, and it is completely unhinged. I suspect the game designers experimented with LSD when coming up with some of the content. I am having fun though, but some of the missions are very difficult
Yes they are. Pick the easier ones, go try something else, THEN come back for the rest, if you can't get past a particular mission. Many require a lot of practice, or some special upgrades would make it easier, and such. Rampage mission, for example, becomes easy when you get infinite rounds. Use the rocket launcher and put one into every car you come across, esp. any incoming reinforcements.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, and don't forget that the mini-missions (repeatable location missions? mini-games?) are rated. If you are early in the game, don't try tackling one that is rated Hard. And you might want to stay away from Mediums too - though that will likely depend on the mission type.

There should be plenty of other stuff to do. Once you level a bit and get more 'perks', you can move up the difficult later.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jnecros

Post by jnecros »

OMG, the super powers in the DLC are the best part of the game so far. Seems like the fourth game will be an instant buy for me.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I am struggling to get started with this game. I finished the intro and character design. After leaving my apartment there doesn't seem to be any direction about what to do next. No missions or pointers. I drive around randomly shooting rival gang members and am bored after 5 minutes. How do you get this thing going?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Moliere wrote:I am struggling to get started with this game. I finished the intro and character design. After leaving my apartment there doesn't seem to be any direction about what to do next. No missions or pointers. I drive around randomly shooting rival gang members and am bored after 5 minutes. How do you get this thing going?
Open up your phone. Tab key, maybe? There should be 2-3 people that you can talk to. One will have main storyline quests. The other will have some side quests - assassination, stealing cars, etc.

Black Lives Matter

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

You don't call people to start quests anymore, just hit tab and open up the Missions/Quests tab and choose. It's broken up by story missions or side missions and (I think) loyalty missions that pop up later).

Most of the side missions are just collections of side missions with a bit of dialog between them, but the rewards are fun.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You will run into locations where there are mission events. You can pick up the main missions by phone, or at least select them on the map.

If you need something to do, strip naked and run around. Streaking around displaying your naughty bits is a mission on its own.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was having some fun with this game but got sidetracked and decided to delete it. maybe Ill go back one day if you guys think it's worth my time.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Last time I ventured onto multiplayer, Rip and I were tearing through the challenges and I was laughing so hard I cried. He was wearing a Cowboy hat, and I was wearing chaps. It's worth your time for the juvenile insanity alone.

And, well, it has all the perversity that is Zimos. I bought my mom's new boyfriend a copy because I knew he'd get in trouble and play anyway. And he didn't even get to the pony chase scene.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, normally I don't reopen seven year old threads, but this is Saints Row The Third, so anything goes. In this case, Saints Row: The Third Remastered Preview – The Best Returns, but Fancier
Well, Saints Row: The Third being the best is certainly subjective. I personally prefer 4 for just how completely out-there the game went. I know a lot of people prefer the second and others the third. This is quite plainly a philosophical debate that will only be resolved when the likes of Plato, Aristotle, Marx and Nietzche are reborn and make the call for us. Until that point, we know precisely what the team at Volition believe is the best, Saints Row: The Third.

Nine years after the original release, it's time for Saints Row: The Third to get the remaster treatment and what a makeover it is, with massive improvements to the aesthetical quality of the game. More than that, the game will contain each and every single piece of DLC that was released for the original title. That's over thirty pieces of DLC, for those who are counting.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cool. Volition has been teasing a project on their Twitch channel for quite a while now, but not providing any details. I was hoping for a brand new SR title, but a remaster is fine if the price is right (although I'd prefer remasters of SR and SR2).

Note that this is a timed (1-year) Epic Games Store exclusive. It'll be heading to Steam in 2021, for those who have strong feelings about platform exclusivity.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I originally played (and finished) this game on the Xbox360 and enjoyed it tremendously. I tried playing it on PC a few years ago (2017) but it just kept crashing to desktop. After trying to troubleshoot, apparently it was (is?) a known problem. I was excited to see this until it was revealed that it's an Epic exclusive for a year (on Epic in May); the remastered version isn't coming to STEAM until 2021. Makes sense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 am (although I'd prefer remasters of SR and SR2).
It's odd, but can't quite remember if it was SR or SR2 that I enjoyed the most. I do know it never was on the PC, so I think it was SR. Anyway it began with you, the player, being chased and then caught by someone who was about to kill you, when someone else kills the first guy. This second guy is then about to kill you anyway when he is killed by a new guy who turns out to be one of the Saints and that's where the story begins. I seem to recall that it was a more serious take than the later Saints game but I enjoyed the leveling up activities as well as the main line missions. Shame there was never a PC port.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That would have to be the original Saints Row. SR2 was released for Windows, and it starts with you in prison, having just awoken from a coma.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I finished this game on my PC and I think I'll buy it again for the PS4 so I can relive on my large TV memories of running around in my chaps as I give people a beat down with a large purple dildo. Ahh, good times...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:24 pm SR2 was released for Windows, and it starts with you in prison, having just awoken from a coma.
Steam
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:01 pm I seem to recall that it was a more serious take than the later Saints game
I'll admit I've never played a Saints game because of exactly this. They just seem silly? Running around beating people with a dildo just isn't the kind of storytelling I find appealing.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

gbasden wrote:
jztemple2 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:01 pm I seem to recall that it was a more serious take than the later Saints game
I'll admit I've never played a Saints game because of exactly this. They just seem silly? Running around beating people with a dildo just isn't the kind of storytelling I find appealing.
You don't necessarily have to wield a large purple dildo but the game does tend towards the ridiculous.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep. Think of GTA. It's a serious game where you can, if you choose, do absurd things and just cause absurd mayhem - or you can play it seriously. To one side of GTA is something like Mafia which uses the same basic model but is a serious story. Saint's Row is on the opposite side of GTA, integrating the absurd into the basic setting. It's hilarious if you go in expecting an over-the-top comedic action romp, but would never scratch the 'serious story' itch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gbasden wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:32 amI'll admit I've never played a Saints game because of exactly this. They just seem silly? Running around beating people with a dildo just isn't the kind of storytelling I find appealing.
But then (in SR IV) you get a scene where an old friend visits Vice President Keith David and suddenly it's one of the greatest gaming experiences you've ever had. It's an extremely silly self-referential B-Movie tongue in cheek form of entertainment. Every time you think it can't get more ridiculous, it does. At some point, clobbering luchadores with a 6' dong just makes sense.
Maybe next year, maybe no go