GTA Vice City: PC or Xbox?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freezer-TPF-

GTA Vice City: PC or Xbox?

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I am way overdue for trying a GTA game, and Vice City is now a nice bargain bin catch. So the choice is: PC or Xbox version?

I am thinking the controls and graphics should be better on the PC. The gamepad might be nice for driving, but the mouse/kb would be much easier for gunfights. I guess I could also hook up my PC gamepad for driving, but I'd probably just stick with the keyboard as long as the controls are decent (I did fine playing Mafia that way).

So, PC or Xbox? I hesitate to buy the PC version of a console port, but from the reviews it sounds like they did a good job with minimal bugs and glitches.
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

I've got the xbox version. Its got nice controls and graphics. The gamepad plays great, but the pc version has mouse aiming. I don't think that you can lose either way. But I will say that you can get the double-pack for xbox at gamestop for the same price as the PC version of vice city ($19.99). So that would be 2 games vs. 1 game (and GTA3 is still a very good game).
Raug

Post by Raug »

I played GTA 3 on the PS2 and Vice City on the PC. I liked Vice City quite a bit more than GTA 3. The PC is a more immersive platform to me, you can get higher resolutions, and I just don't like non-gamers watching me play GTA games for some reason. I guess it's the over the top violence, heh. Plus being able to play your own MP3s in the game cinched it for me. I also thought it was much easier to control. The PC controls made the combat MUCH easier for me, and while the driving controls weren't quite as great they were still not that bad.

Anyway, yeah, I agree it's a win win situation and that double pack for 20 bucks is a good deal.
knob

Post by knob »

I vote PC.

Higher resolution, play your own MP3s, put your own skins in the game, so you can play as yourself. And the controls (Gamepad vs Mouse and Keyboard) are much better on the PC, in my opinion anyways.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Having only played the PC versions of both, all I can add to this that I had an absolute blast with both games on the PC. I can't imagine trying to play it with a gamepad, though apparently they did a nice job with that too. So I guess I'd go with the PC version, mostly based on (possibly) superior controls and the better graphics. Though that 2 for 1 deal on the XBox version would make that pretty damn tempting. Glad I don't have to make this choice!
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Austin

Post by Austin »

I also am looking to check these games out. I just tried True Crime on the PC and I hate it. It just seems like it would play so much better on a console. Now, it could just be that True Crimes is not a very good game so...? Anyway, has anyone tried GTA Vice City on PC and True Crimes that can let me know if this is just a style of game I would prefer on console or if True Crimes just sucks as a port (or as a game :P)
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

I like it on the pc for mouse controls when in person mode. For driving I use my xbox controller. I bought a cable extender and modded it with a usb end so that it would work on the pc. It doesnt work as well as on an xbox (throttle is all or nothing) but it steers better than the keyboard.
portnoy

preferred xbox

Post by portnoy »

There's just something about sitting back on the sofa and knocking off 20 gang members that just brings a smile to my face.

PC version does have the cool save a replay (read about it, never acttually seen it) there have been moments where I would love to save what happened on the screen (PGR2, thanks for that!) but I would have to agree that either version you will be getting a quality gaming experience.
raydude

Post by raydude »

If it's a bargain-basement game you want, then get the PC version cause its cheaper than the Xbox version. At least according to EBGames, where the Xbox version is still $10 more than the PC.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Well just to update, I bought GTA Vice City for the PC. I really enjoy it so far! Seeing as I couldn't stand playing True Crimes on the PC I am going with either: A) It's a crappy port or B) It's a crappy game. Just my experience.

Only problem with GTA VC so far is the damn er.... SPOILERS... EARLY GAME SPOILERS.

oh wait... don't need dots on this forum...

The damn remote helicopter mission. It has number pad cotrols and my laptop doesn't have a number pad. When I enable the make-shift number pad using the letter keys, the keys don't line up right for intuitive controls. How important is it to pass all the cowboy guy's missions?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Cool, thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should go with the PC version. About how much time do you spend driving vs. out-of-vehicle play? Half and half?
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Cool, thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should go with the PC version. About how much time do you spend driving vs. out-of-vehicle play? Half and half?
I would say about 80-90% driving/flying/boating and 10-20% walking/running/gunning.
Padre

Post by Padre »

I wouldn't go quite that far - it depends a lot on what mission you're undertaking. You're more likely to be in a vehicle than out, I would say.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Austin wrote:Well just to update, I bought GTA Vice City for the PC. I really enjoy it so far! Seeing as I couldn't stand playing True Crimes on the PC I am going with either: A) It's a crappy port or B) It's a crappy game. Just my experience.

Only problem with GTA VC so far is the damn er.... SPOILERS... EARLY GAME SPOILERS.

oh wait... don't need dots on this forum...

The damn remote helicopter mission. It has number pad cotrols and my laptop doesn't have a number pad. When I enable the make-shift number pad using the letter keys, the keys don't line up right for intuitive controls. How important is it to pass all the cowboy guy's missions?
Another option if you already have a PS2 controller or an Xbox one is to buy a USB converter that would allow you to use your controller on your PC. I have the Radio Shack one for a PS2 Dual Shock and it's brilliant, especially for driving around in Vice City and the remote helicopter mission that is driving you nuts. I still use the keyboard controls in the game quite bit, but mostly only on foot. Oh and the PS2 controller works great for Madden on the PC and other sports titles if you get into that sort of thing. Hope that helps! 8)
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

raydude wrote:If it's a bargain-basement game you want, then get the PC version cause its cheaper than the Xbox version. At least according to EBGames, where the Xbox version is still $10 more than the PC.
The dual pack (GTAIII and GTA Vice City) is $20 for the Xbox at Gamestop, according to a post in the Bargain Bin.

EDIT: [urlhttp://www.pcgamesforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=758]Link to post.[/url]
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noun

Post by noun »

You can remap the keys on the PC version, which is how I managed to complete the helicopter missions.

SPOILER TIP (highlight to see):
Fly your remote helicopter into the building and kill everyone before you pick up the first explosive. This has two benefits: 1) It leaves you unmolested for the rest of the mission, and 2) gives you a chance to memorize where the drop points are before you start.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

Another vote for PC.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Enough wrote:
Another option if you already have a PS2 controller or an Xbox one is to buy a USB converter that would allow you to use your controller on your PC. I have the Radio Shack one for a PS2 Dual Shock and it's brilliant, especially for driving around in Vice City and the remote helicopter mission that is driving you nuts. I still use the keyboard controls in the game quite bit, but mostly only on foot. Oh and the PS2 controller works great for Madden on the PC and other sports titles if you get into that sort of thing. Hope that helps! 8)
I'll check that out! Thanks!