Torchlight 2, pre- and post-release discussion & impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

silverjon

Re: Torchlight 2, pre- and post-release discussion & impress

Post by silverjon »

But feeding fish will have the same effect on every pet, no matter what you pick at character creation.

If you want a permanent fish-pet transformation, then yes, it makes a difference what fish you choose. But there aren't a lot of significant differences between the default pets.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
theohall

Post by theohall »

Steam Workshop for TL II released today. If anyone is achievement hunting, the "mod" achievements should work now.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Runic finally released their GUTS mod editor suite of tools today. This is the Torchlight 2 version of the TorchED editor from the first game. Can't wait to play with it at last.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Really loving the Synergies Mod! Also the LurkerHUD ^^

Check it out!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Late to the party, but I just picked this up on a whim a few days ago when it was on sale at Steam.

What a fun game. I've been playing a Beserker on Normal difficulty. It's been pretty easy so far (Lvl 18, just saved the Guardian). For the past few levels, I've been using two one-handed swords, each of which restore about 30 hit points of health when they hit. I can stand toe-to-toe with anything, bash them to death, and my guy is still at full health.

I think if it doesn't get more challenging in the next area, I'll restart on Veteran difficulty. Invincibility is only fun for so long.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

LOVING this game again thanks to the Synergies II mod and a few other minor mods, especially the Diablo font mod :D This game has an incredible shelf life and will just keep getting better thanks to the modding community.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reinstalled this last night. Not sure if I want to start over or continue with my characters.

Any mod recommendations? Character recommendations?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Daehawk wrote:Reinstalled this last night. Not sure if I want to start over or continue with my characters.

Any mod recommendations? Character recommendations?
My personal choices are SynergiesMOD, Golden Chest With Uniques, Extra Chunky, D2-like Font, Blanks Landmarks, Enchanters Stay Put, Minimalistic Loot Borders and Respec / Restat Potions

:)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Torchlight 1 is free from GOG for the next 48 hours (they've started their summer sale).
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Zenn7 wrote:Torchlight 1 is free from GOG for the next 48 hours (they've started their summer sale).
I grabbed this (I ma now up to like 125 games on GOG!) only because it was free and did not expect to like it much. But it is actually pretty fun as a sort of coffee break game you can play for 20-30 minutes while waiting for the laundry to finish. I went with a dual wielding Destroyer with Dog pet to learn the game and am now on level 6 of the mines, looking for some "Overseer" or his library. Hate the anime influence but it is tolerable.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Nothing about the game struck me as anime influence, but I suppose any fantasy art that isn't dark and gritty or Greek goddess could be interpreted that way.
I have but one advocate.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

JetFred wrote:Nothing about the game struck me as anime influence, but I suppose any fantasy art that isn't dark and gritty or Greek goddess could be interpreted that way.
Then you must have somehow skipped past the title screen every time you played. Because there are three anime characters right on that screen. Also, while I may have been lazy saying "anime" when I should have said "Japanese/console styled games", the whole game is VERY Japanese Console styled in it's concepts from the bizarre character classes ("Destroyer"?) to the fighting game styled skills and such.

You are barking up the wrong tree with your rant against "dark and gritty" and such. I could not care less whether a game is "dark", bright, colorful etc. so long as whatever style fits the game well. For example I prefer the Heroes of Might and Magic 2 graphics over the more subdued palette of Heroes 3 for those types of games.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I always took the style as something they consciously did to make sure they could differentiate themselves from Diablo, but it was also apparently related to working within the game engine's capabilities. From an old Gamasutra article about the original Torchlight:
When describing the visual style we're pursuing we often talk about "chunky" details: using simplified shapes, streamlined, bold features, and giving things a sense of weight. We also talk about "clean" versus "loose", and how you can create separation between elements that are both aesthetically pleasing and also improve gameplay.
Regarding the goal to get it on as many computers as possible:
One of our goals for the game was to have an incredibly low minimum spec so that we could reach a very broad audience.

One of the results of that decision was to do everything without shaders; we didn't want a small subset of our users to be seeing the game as intended and the majority of users getting something else.

When we opted to go totally fixed-function, we began exploring a more "artistic" take on texture styles, to not just differentiate our look, but also to try and keep things visually interesting in a hand-painted sort of way. We worked primarily with diffuse maps with spec and self-illumination options.

This choice also contributed to our straightforward art pipeline and allowed us to create a tremendous amount of assets and in a relatively short amount of time.
and:
The number one question we get asked regarding our art style is "why did you decide to go this route instead of something more realistic, dark, and gritty?" The answer is pretty simple but there are a few considerations.

The simple answer is that we're making a fun adventure game, not a bleak, gore-filled, depressing one. We want to present an inviting world that is fun and thrilling and create sections that are more grim and sinister in contrast to that. If the entire world is bleak and grim, it starts feeling samey and the impact lessens over time. We want to present interesting areas, creatures, characters, and storylines that support a fun adventure world first, and sprinkle in tonal changes in a more calculated manner for dramatic effect.
I would definitely agree it is cartoony, but I'm not quite sure I would describe either game as "Anime", though in full disclosure I have little to no experience with JRPGs or kancho.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Re: Torchlight 2, pre- and post-release discussion & impressions

Post by Daehawk »

Im back to TL2 again. I always go guns but this time trying a necro. Seems fun so far. Just done the first dungeon. Plan to play online with friends.

Im only using 2 mods. I know right...must have a headache :)

More Pet Skins FINAL
SynergiesMOD (v.1337)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"