Titan Quest gold...should I.............

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lee

Re: Titan Quest gold...should I.............

Post by Lee »

I don't remember my first play through being that difficult (I wouldn't be surprised to hear my memory is faulty though), but on the next difficulty up, I couldn't beat the 3 medusa bosses for the life of me. I assume my character build was broken. Grim Dawn is the same way, the higher difficulties really test your build and can be quite unforgiving.

Going to give it a shot once I am done with the Witcher 3.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you're planning on moving up to higher difficulty levels, then yes, min/maxing is going to become more and more important.
Lee

Post by Lee »

GreenGoo wrote:If you're planning on moving up to higher difficulty levels, then yes, min/maxing is going to become more and more important.
You have to play the higher difficulties in Titan Quest, that is where all the cool equipment is! That's one of my fondest memories from the game, starting over at the next higher difficulty and all the equipment (shields) look much cooler. Something they failed to do in Grim Dawn, but as much I love that game, I really don't like the art style much.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I may start over with min/maxing in mind, because I definitely want to play through all the difficulties this time around. Better to do it now while I'm not very far in. I don't think I ever did the harder difficulties originally.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lee wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:If you're planning on moving up to higher difficulty levels, then yes, min/maxing is going to become more and more important.
You have to play the higher difficulties in Titan Quest, that is where all the cool equipment is!
I used to be of this opinion, having found it impossible to imagine someone just playing through normal Diablo, but if a game doesn't grab me enough that grinding is fun, then I say do what is fun and stop when it's not fun.

I had so many alts for Titan Quest there was zero chance I could get through all the difficulty levels with each of them, although I did make it with quite a few of them.

For a game that is 10 years old that many people are playing again for nostalgia, I'm not sure how many people are going to stick with it through all the difficulty levels, but that might just be my own feelings on the matter getting in the way.

YK, I can't remember if you can respec or not. It's possible a mod put that functionality in.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

YK, I can't remember if you can respec or not. It's possible a mod put that functionality in.
Looked it up. Sounds like you can.....for a price. First respecc-er is in Delphi, which I just so happen to have hit last night. :horse:

[Edit] And..... you can't undo a Mastery selection. So I may have to restart anyway.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Downloading anniversary addition now... They completely revamped the entire game it looks like. Change log is worth breezing through; at least if were as into this game as I was :). I haven't fired it up yet but I can see why some are thinking it is more difficult based on the changes. This is a seriously impressive free update to a ten year old game.
Tao

Post by Tao »

As mentioned you can respec in the latter part of the game which was originally the expansion.

You can respec skill points but not mastery points.

Spirit can be very solid as a support class, try pairing with Dream.

Higher difficulty tiers will require TONS of pierce resist, lots of poison resist as well.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

In case no one found this thread somehow.

I can't speak for it's value, although the memory vault says I think I used this once upon a time.

class build collection

edit: ok, that's not the one I thought it was. Might still be useful.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I want to give the updates a whirl, but I'm going to wait. I bought two extra copies for the kids during the Steam summer sale (so we all have Anniversary now.) We'll all be playing it together at some point in the near future. Right now we're neck deep in Torchlight 2, though, so it will probably be a couple of games from now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey look, an OO build thread.

I was playing WoW at the time and didn't get into TQ until later.

http://titancalc.com/ still exists. Found in the thread linked in this post.

edit: Now this is the thread I used for some of my builds, pretty sure.

edit2: Some quick reading has reminded me that Dream was added in the expansion and is generally recognized as one of the stronger classes. So Dream + anything tends to be awesome.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started over with Warfare as my primary and it's been much easier. Normal still is not a cakewalk though - they definitely upped the difficulty. I haven't died, but there have been some close calls and I've had to chug some potions.

Warfare/Defense, from my reading, is supposedly a kick-ass build, but it's also kind of boring. I like the dual wield of Warfare though, so I may see what happens when I pair it with Dream.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

According to the Steam store page, they did do a re-balancing pass over all the skills for the anniversary release, so some of those old paradigms might be different now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Warfare and defense are awesome, but like you said, pretty straightforward and boring, depending on what you want. Melee attacks and a zillion procs (which I love, actually). Some builds are high maintenance/high reward, and others, like the aura builds, just have you run around collecting loot.

I did find quite a few posts of my own in this thread. It's clear that I have forgotten a LOT about the game. The game mechanics are quite detailed and things are pretty interesting under the hood. I also spent most of my time on the normal difficulty, with it seems, almost every combo of classes possible.

It looks like I spent a lot of time with the Bone Charmer, but I don't have much recollection of that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What a pleasant surprise this was. I saw it advertised on greenmangaming and almost bought it...only to find out I got it for free on Steam. It still looks and plays better than many current games too.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Looks like they improved multiplayer support. You guys should check it out.

Hey! Steam achievements! Normally I don't care much for these but it's still cool. And cards. Smoove/Jetfred, are you listening?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I've decided to start up a ritualist, starting with dream. The game is as good as ever, but I've played it so many freakin' times I'm not sure I've got one more in me.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I shouldn't have started this again but I have. Corsair started (as well as 4 other alts that have reached Megara). I've just passed the Gorgons and am cruising. TQ Vault works just fine with the new version (after you edit the config file) so I did twink him a little when he hit 12th level by giving him a blue shield. The crazy thing is that I didn't expect to still have anything stored but I guess I never went and trashed the vault files even though I haven't had Titan Quest on my computer for 3 or 4 years.

I ended up picking Corsair due to the changes; I'm going almost all Dex now that poison scales with Dex.So far he's great but I haven't taken very many characters past Athens in the past so I really have no idea if he's going to turn out to be ok in the long run.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I blew over 100k gold and got an butt-kicking bow (it's blue). I have a relic (the god buff things) for "all weapons" and bat fangs for "all weapons" and no enhancement on the thing currently. It will not let me put either on this bow. I can put them on the staff I have in my weapon swap spot, but not the bow.

Any idea why?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I believe one class of item can not be buffed with those. Think "uniques" from DIablo II. I'm not sure which class it is, but it sounds like blues. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe you cant if its equipped? I cant remember now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Blues can not be enchanted.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm happily playing this with my 20-year old son. Its been a lot of fun. So far, we have just arrived in Athens and haven't done the maze yet. I'm Running a Corsair that is almost entirely bow right now. He is running an Assassin.

Good times..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Man, I loved this game. I loved the paladin, but then when I picked up IT, Dream became my favorite by FAR. There is a level one skill, Dreamwave, I think it's called, that I usually dump the first 12 points into, and basically, it is a wave of destruction that emanates from you in a cone. At 12 points (which you can hit by level 4, I think), the wave does insane amounts of damage; enough to one-shot pretty much anything except bosses up through the centaur guy. And by then, you should be around lvl 10-12, and you can have all sorts of other skills pumped up. I usually stay away from the master (besides the requirements) until I've upped the lower level skills to max. It makes you a bit squishy, but the amount of offense you are putting out doesn't let anything get near you.

I also liked keeping one mastery until much later in the game, sometimes until after I'd finished the first Act, to get to the higher level skills quicker. Dream is a great one to do this with, as it ups all your stats somewhat, and you can either be a caster OR melee focused character with it, depending on where you put your skills.

Of course, it's been years since I played, and it sounds like they may have done some fixes/nerfs, so I'm not sure if that's still the case with Dream. It was, in some ways, so completely overpowered that there wasn't much of a challenge. But then again, I like seeing the ragdoll bodies flying all over the screen with my wave of destruction, so it fit in perfect with my gaming style. :mrgreen: :horse:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
morlac

Post by morlac »

So, 11 years later after launch a new expansion is out, Ragnorak. Norse mythology this time, new class the Runemaster. Total stealth release. Awesome.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ragnarok is still $20 on GOG, 2 years later, for an antique game. I wish digital prices sometimes did better at curving down like physical copies used to. I'm still waiting on it, but honestly could have missed it on sale for $5 3 or 4 times by now. I didn't have it on any lists.

I recently started playing TQ: Anniversary Edition with my 11 year old. He's really getting into it. I thought about Grim Dawn, but reflected that it's pretty damn dark, and so is Path of Exile (aside from being insanely complex). Titan Quest seemed like a solid intro, and I wasn't wrong. I'll have to keep an eye out for GOG's next sale and get a couple copies of Ragnarok & Atlantis.

Side note: When my PC went bust on me a few weeks back, my old TQ Vault data was something I was able to salvage, along with my characters. Sadly, the characters didn't hold up - every single one has zero skill points and no skills - but the items seem to have, so I've offloaded all of my saved items into the vault for storage and get to start my characters over.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:01 am Ragnarok is still $20 on GOG, 2 years later, for an antique game. I wish digital prices sometimes did better at curving down like physical copies used to. I'm still waiting on it, but honestly could have missed it on sale for $5 3 or 4 times by now. I didn't have it on any lists.
ITAD says $6.59 on the Humble Store.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
morlac

Post by morlac »

Don't think i've seen it cheaper. I still don't have it and haven't finished with Ragnorak content.

Incidentally I also found Torchlight 1/2 to be great intro to action RPG games if you are trying to get a youngin into the genre. a Little less complicated builds and little more fishing :)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Anyone else running into lauch issues with this? Can't create new heroes.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Jolor wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:13 pm Anyone else running into lauch issues with this? Can't create new heroes.
If you're using the Steam version, this might help:

Unable to Create Character
steamcommunity.com wrote:...as the title says, I can't create a character.
I've tried running TQ:AE as Admin, tried deleting my old saves, tried deleting the settings files, tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I've even tried running the old versions of TQ and TQ:IT.

Nothing seems to work - I can't create characters anywhere.
Oddly, when I try to create one, no avatar appears. I'm fairly sure in the past when I clicked "male" or "female", they'd appear, and I could change their tunic colour. Now, I have all of those option, but no character appears - then when I click "create", nothing happens at all.

Help!

Okay, so I managed to get this fixed.

I'm not sure which was the solution, so I'll just post all of the steps I took:
  1. Set TQ.exe as "Run as Administrator" for all users.
  2. Enter the folder "My Games/Titan Quest - Immortal Throne and delete ALL of the content (this will remove all of your existing characters, so if you had any carried over from the original TQ, back them up)
  3. Disable cloud saves in the TQ Properties in Steam.
After doing all of these, the game opened up in 1024 x 768, and I was able to create a character in that resolution. I then quit and restart the game in my normal resolution (2560 x 1440) and everything worked fine.

Hope it helps for some of you.
Or if you have third-party antivirus software blocking the game's executable:

Titan Quest - Game does not start / Cannot create characters / Can't change resolution settings [Solved]
steamcommunity.com wrote:Usually, I don't create discussions but some of the payers of Titan Quest - Anniversary Edition (including me) are experiencing a persistent problem where you cannot start the game, create a new character, nor change the resolution.
Common problems
  1. Game does not start
  2. Screen resolution won't change
  3. Cannot create new character
The problem comes from the anti-virus BitDefender (or at least in my case) which blocks the game executable file to make any changes in your C/username/documents/mygames/titan quest folder.

To solve that:
  1. Open BitDefender
  2. Click on the Bell icon (located at the left of the program)
  3. Find the notification that reads "Application access blocked"
  4. Expand and click on View Application
  5. On the newly open screen "allow" tq.exe to make change to your computer.
  6. Profit.
I hope that helps, enjoy your game :)

Update 23/04/19
As confirmed by Mc Fly, other anti-virus software might block tq.exe from modifying files on the C:/ Drive.
Mc Fly wrote: ... there is a feature protecting against ransoware.
It restricts access to some folders (like documents)
you need to authorize tq.exe process there...
P.S.
If the guide does not help, try the following:
  1. Re-install the game
  2. Verify the game files (redundant but sometimes files get corrupted)
  3. Open your game installation folder "Titan Quest Anniversary Edition\_CommonRedist\vcredist"
  4. Uninstall & Install the VCREDIST version
  5. Go to your Titan Quest installation folder and right click on the tq.exe opening the file Properties
  6. Navigate to the Compatibility tab and change the "Compatibility mode" to run as Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
  7. Do the BitDefender steps above
Hope that was helpful.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Thanks. I am using Steam and will try again. Much appreciated!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

One of these days I will have to try again, but I'm the kind who use a tank, aggroed a tiny crowd, kite them away and beat them, go back for a little more, so I basically GRIND the game. Probably NOT the way it was meant to be played. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:39 amProbably NOT the way it was meant to be played. :D
That depends entirely on your build and items. Eventually a combat build can basically rush in and hammer down large groups of enemies without falling back. I recall eventually making a challenge out of seeing just how big a furball I could put together and beat down.

At the beginning, though, you absolutely dart in and back.
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Damnit, stop with this. Now I'm going to have to go start this up again. Although Valheim is taking up most of my gaming time recently, Titan Quest is probably the only game that would pull me out of there. I haven't played any of the Atlantis stuff, is it worth the purchase? I have a TQ vault packed to the gills with nearly every major set and specialty weapon, so burning through the early levels won't be an issue. As much as I hate to start yet ANOTHER dream character, I just love that class too much.

Might try to pair it with an unconventional one this time, just for the helluvit.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Followed the (run as admin) tips and starting a new game as Popsycles. Let's see how the nostalgia holds up as this was one of my favourite hack/slash/loot games.

To stir it up a bit, my Top 5 order would be:

GD>TQ>D2>D>D3
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jolor wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:59 pmTo stir it up a bit, my Top 5 order would be:

GD>TQ>D2>D>D3
I hadn't even thought of it before, but heard that GD ran on the same engine as TQ. Makes perfect sense.

I don't think I've ever explored all of the content in TQ myself, either. I had characters pass through the entire game before, but haven't gone back with determination since Ragnarok or Atlantis, though I own both.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 am
Jolor wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:59 pmTo stir it up a bit, my Top 5 order would be:

GD>TQ>D2>D>D3
I hadn't even thought of it before, but heard that GD ran on the same engine as TQ. Makes perfect sense.
It's a lot of the same people on both teams, is it not? (TQ and GD)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:28 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:40 am

GD>TQ>D2>D>D3
It's a lot of the same people on both teams, is it not? (TQ and GD)
Yeah, I think they splintered off to form a new studio. I really like both, but TQ shines so much brighter for me than GD. I love the historical areas visited, even though they are obviously mythologized. (Is that a word? Must be, I didn't get a red misspelled line...) This game also really exposed my altolholism in a nasty way.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:40 pmThis game also really exposed my altolholism in a nasty way.
Smeared mine right across a truck stop bathroom wall. "For a good alt, call 555-124-5425"
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Available for the low, low price of free for the next few days.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch