If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: Mechwarrior Online coming 2012 and it's free

Post by Paingod »

3 free days of Premium MWO, courtesy of Piranha and Harebrained Schemes:

MechWarriorOnline_Gift_2016
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Posting this here since we're probably the only group on the board that would care.
We will regularly offer a small selection of super cool stuff. For each item, we will set a minimum order quantity and only manufacture exactly what you
collectively order – this means that every item is a Limited Edition and will never be produced again.

Items that don’t meet the minimum order quantity won’t get made.

You will only be charged once an item meets its minimum order quantity and it’s campaign has ended.

Come back regularly to see the new offerings – and grab yourself some cool gear!
Enlarge Image

They have Clan and IS banner sets and hoodie and such. Seems pretty cool.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Infortunately, it seems they've basically set themselves up for failure.

They *might* make 1000 Atlas resin figures for $200 each - but first they need the order of 1000. I can't see anyway they can get their minimum order numbers by January 17th. While I'm sure there are a lot of devoted people for MechWarrior, it seems that rare few are willing to drop hundreds on merchandise that isn't actually a game they can play.

I'd probably sign up for that Atlas if I thought there was a chance in hell of it being made. As it is, I'm going to end up waiting three years for this to get made. Supposedly to be released Q2, 2017 - but it's been pushed back three times so far.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That thing is over $800.

I like this one.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's over $800 by itself - and they're making it to accomodate stuffing the Iron Man Mk XLIII suit inside, which is another $350 if you want to spend it. I'd love to - but it's out of production, and up to $500 for a new one.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Recently PGI shifted around MechWarrior's "Skill" tree and Mech mastery. Read their release here.

It looks like you're now able to master a single chassis without needing to buy three of them and play them to death - which is awesome. They basically took all the perks (Mech and Pilot skills) and turned them into point values. A fully "Mastered" Mech has 91 points to allot out of a possible 237 skills. The skills are cumulative and set up in a grid. It lets you fine-tune your preferences on a Mech to a better extent than before, but it also means you don't simply get "All The Best" on a Mastered Mech.

There are several different skill grids. Weapons, Chassis, Jump Jets, Piloting, Sensors, Consumables. I think it's impossible to make any Mech as good as it was before this change - but that also means that Mechs are going to be a little different between pilots based on their choices. Additionally, all those multi-million dollar modules (Advanced Zoom, Seismic Sensors, etc) have been rolled into skills - so you don't spend cash to install them, but rather points.

When I logged in, I had 217,000 General XP converted to the new system and my previously Mastered Mechs had 91 skill points to spend (basically, my Ravens and Hunchbacks and one Atlas). I also had 89 "General Skill Points" to allocate - which could be used to essentially insta-master a single new chassis (I'm thinking of grabbing the Cyclops hero Mech). I even got a small cash refund on modules I had purchased.

Acquiring skill points is done by spending Experience and C-Bills. 800XP (plus 45,000 C-Bills) buys you a skill point on a Mech. That's a single good round of play, meaning a good pilot could master a Mech in 91 combat missions or less. You can keep buying skills on a Mech until you own them all and then can shift around your bonuses on a whim (400xp, no cash, to re-buy an already owned skill you de-selected) - it would just take a long time and be a substantial investment.

So now if you want the Speed Tweaks, you'll need to invest heavily in Piloting. If you want the biggest Laser duration reduction, you'll need to invest heavily in Weapons. If you want all the Internal, Armor, and Critical resistance available, you'll want every single one of the 27 Chassis skills.

A downside to this is that each chassis has it's own skill tree. If you've got three Raven 4X's (because you just love them and can't play anything else for 10 minutes), then you've got three different skill trees to work on - not just one big one that covers every Raven 4X you might ever own.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I had forgotten how to play.

For my first match (after something like a 18 month absence) I opted for my Raven 3L, figuring the ECM would give me good survivability. I should have just painted "Stomp Me" and run straight at the enemy force. I was worse than useless and was knocked out of the match before anyone else, delivering a staggering 50 damage. The map and game mode were completely unknown to me, and I was so focused on trying to line up shots that I failed to notice that my entire team had moved on and I was caught in the open with no escape as the enemies flanked.

My second match was using my fancy new Cyclops with a pair of Gauss rifles and 4 Medium lasers. I managed a single kill and 358 damage overall and survived the match. I still have absolutely no idea what the game mode was about, but I was able to at least keep up with my team this time and not be a statistic.

Back on the Cyclops, I had an amazing round of landing Gauss shot after Gauss shot, but scored no kills. It was an intense battle of back and forth where I helped hold the line with my team, but we ultimately died after the opposing force flanked on both sides and we couldn't seem to commit to one way or another. I thought that all things considered, I fought pretty damn well and smartly. After I died, I was informed that I did a whopping 90 damage before dying. I did a double-take and found that my ping was through the roof and I was on a European server. No wonder. The vast majority of my "hits" were complete misses. I had used up almost all of my ammo and only "missed" a few times on my own screen. :hawk: Turns out my preferences about "NA Servers Only" were lost and had to be reset.

I look forward to trying out the other Cyclops models. Dual Gauss is cute, but I've always been partial to big lasers. The Cyclops, overall, feels really solid. I always enjoyed my Atlas roster, but felt they were just too ponderous - often dragging up the tail end of any fight and unable to stay with a flowing battle. The Cyclops pulls up the rear, but no absurdly so, and it has the "Reach Out and Touch You" needed to make that work. It's also smaller and more nimble than the Atlas, only sacrificing a small percentage of armor and damage for all that mobility. One poster called it "like the Atlas, but with better hit boxes" and I'd kind of agree. The giant eye in the middle of my head hasn't caused any problems with head shots yet.

Elder Scrolls Online has been moved to the back seat. I'll still be logging in to check emails and move research forward, but may not play it every night for a while yet.

I won't keep bumping the thread with updates on my performance, but will add a few here and there to this post.

2017-05-24
Spoiler:
Last night's play was fun and frustrating. I think I've got my Cyclops builds ironed out. I have three I'm working with right now. On the whole, the Cyclops feels like a really nice mix of speed, firepower, and damage. The CT is a big target and the arms are smaller. I seem to be able to get CT-damaged even when I turn away from the fight and try to use my arms as shields - though in hindsight, it's entirely possible that I'm turning too far and exposing my back.
  • CP-10-Q: 1 Kill, 8 Deaths, 3 Wins, 6 Losses, 2,177 Damage. This one is a missile boat, and I run with 2x ERLL and 6x Aretemis SRM6, and an XL375 engine. It packs a whollup up close, and needs to get in to do that - despite that, I've had a number of bad rounds and a lot of deaths. Currently, I stand at 1 kill with 8 deaths. In 9 rounds, I've done about 2,200 damage. Somehow, even late in a match, when I belch a full compliment of 6 SRM's into someone's face, I still don't get a kill. I've had a couple rounds with 450+ damage done and no kills, and a few rounds where I was just floundering.
  • CP-11-P: 1 Kill, 1 Death, 2 Wins, 1 Loss, 951 Damage. This one is a tactical build. Each arm has 2x LPL with an SRM6 in the CT and ECM. I'm currently using a STD320 engine, which has me pulling up the rear in fights - but being first doesn't mean Fortune and Glory in this game; often it means a brutal death. Each of the arms is linked to a mouse button, so I don't waste heat firing a side that might still be covered by a building or hill. It also lets me toggle and not incur the massive heat penalty for firing all four LPL's at once. I like this build for feeling like there's a specific purpose to it.
  • SLEIPNIR: 1 Kill, 3 Deaths, 3 Wins, 3 Losses, 2,038 Damage. Basically still stock with dual Guass Rifles, 4x ML's, and an XL360 engine. I admit that I like the Gauss Rifles, but find they can be tricky to work with and am adjusting. I've had many instances where I'm trying to line up a shot and an ally runs out in front of me. With other guns, not an issue - I fire as soon as they're clear or before they get there - but with Gauss, I have a charge time and a window of opportunity. Having someone walk in front of me while charging means I have to let the rifle overload and then waste the next 4 seconds reloading and recharging.
Overall, I'm undecided about XL engines in a Cyclops. In my Atlas builds, plodding along at 48kph is painful and having a 90-ton Mech moving at 71kph is awesome. On the other hand, when my sides go, so do I. I generally pack enough firepower on both sides that I could keep fighting one-handed to some degree. It's a hard call. My slower, more "tactical" Cyclops is shining right now while my faster ones aren't. A lot of my deaths are due to LT or RT breakages, but generally I'm pretty badly messed up everywhere and would go soon regardless - I always try to spread damage around by turning left and right while recharging guns/missiles/lasers. One thing that stands out is how tall the Cyclops is; I tower over a lot of other Mechs, and it makes for interesting times when I can shoot over them. More data needed.
2017-05-25
Spoiler:
While I really want to like the Cyclops mechs I spent $70 acquiring, I'm just not performing as well in them as I can. I spent more time last night in my Raven 2X and Raven 3L than in the Cyclops Mechs. I've also moved up to Combat Tier III from IV. Now all the people around me seem competent in combat and not just some of them, but "we" still make mistakes, oh yes we do...
  • The Raven-2X (48 Kills, 35 Deaths, 30 Wins, 22 Losses, 17,225 Damage) is a vicious little monster. I've got a XL210 engine and 2 Large Pulse Lasers in it. That's it. It doesn't sound like much, but that's 22 points of pinpoint damage on a Mech that can hide 95% of it's body behind a hill, building, or other Mech. I'm always just behind the front line taking shots of opportunity and re-positioning. That second part is essential as often enemies are expecting me to peek-a-boo right where I was, and I'm never there twice. Being a runt without ECM means I'm not a priority target when I lurk behind an Atlas or even a Hunchback. It lets me line up good shots, and lots of them. One round last night achieved 690 damage and 2 kills. I actually had someone pick on my 2X for being too slow in one round, but at the end my match score was higher than his, so I think we settled it.
  • The Raven-3L (50 Kills, 45 Deaths, 38 Wins, 36 Losses, 15,494 Damage) holds its own as well. With ECM, 2 ER Large Lasers, and a NARC Beacon (1 Ton Ammo) it proves a very capable flanking Mech. The ECM means it's rarely noticed when I crest a hill and line up a shot, and it's only after the ER Lasers have burned down that most people get a chance to reply. The NARC is awesome on some open maps for sliding around a hill and giving LRM carriers a clear and open target - or just providing intel on enemy movement out of sight. I try to stick near the bigger Mechs (like I do in the Raven-2X), but don't limit myself since I know I'm virtually invisible in some areas unless I'm careless.
  • CP-11-P: I found that I wasn't using the SRM6 as well as I could, and shifted it to a NARC with 1t of ammo. This allowed me to stuff in another Heat Sink as well. This Mech continues to be my stand-out winner in the Cyclops line. It has a methodical style of play and ECM keeps me from lighting up like Christmas for my enemies when I come around a hill to take a shot. Basically, this Mech is what I'd get if I took the Raven-3L and stuffed a Raven-2X inside it, plus 20 tons of armor. It's still slow, but I maintain that being first isn't a great thing.
  • I have to better figure out how to play the SLEIPNIR and CP-10-Q. On the Hero, I've recently retrofitted to 4x LBX-10's. They have long range capability, low heat, and good damage, but it's a spread. My first (and only) round out of the gate with this build, I did exactly 110 damage and died to a CT rupture because I was too eager to see what my guns could do and led a non-existent charge over a hill into 4 opposing Heavies. I think the CP-10-Q needs to spend some time as an LRM carrier. It's got good missile launching ports (I think I can launch 4 LRM20's without a ripple effect - just a giant belch of damage). It's going to mean downshifting to a STD engine and dawdling, though. The XL375 engine I bought for this one wasn't cheap and I'm not sure what else I'm going to stick it in. I may try and keep it for mobility and simply run fewer Artemis LRM's.
2017-05-26
Spoiler:
The CP-10-Q has come home in a big way. A couple times last night I placed as the 1st or 2nd spot on combat score. Tip: it's not a brawler, it's an LRM carrier. No Artemis required (since it only helps when you have direct line of sight). With LRM20's being tonnage-inefficient (4x LRM15 = 60 missiles for 28 tons, 3x LRM20 = 60 missiles for 30 tons), I've outfitted this Cyclops with 4 LRM15's (2 in each side) and one LRM10 (CT) as well as the XL375 engine I had purchased. This Mech bops along at 68.4kph and lays down a thunderous barrage of pain with 1728 total missiles (2 Missile Rack skills required).

If the fight comes to me, I still have 3x ML's to fire off for 15 points of damage. It's not much, but makes a difference when someone is charging me like a bull to get inside 90m and brawl with me to stop the missile spam. Even on maps where I get bad angles and poor locks, I still pull in 350+ damage. Its new combat stats are: 7 Kills, 13 Deaths, 10 wins, 9 losses, 7,069 damage - a drastic improvement from 1 Kill, 8 Deaths, 3 Wins, 6 Losses, 2,177 Damage two days ago. I plan to tune the engines down to maybe an XL350 or so, and take the extra tonnage (and a little armor) to install the Command Module to improve my lock-on speeds. I think it will improve the Mech's overall performance enough to warrant the change. Need to research best options for LRM boats.

When it doesn't perform well, it's due to three things: AMS or ECM heavy opposing teams, or city maps. In open terrain, it's absolutely brutal. In a city, it's very hard to get a good shot. Against AMS-heavy teams, I've watched my entire salvo evaporate before it hits, and I suppose that's why I have 1,728 missiles. Against ECM, locks are rare and take forever and are lost quickly. Last night I ran into both an AMS-heavy team, and an ECM-heavy team and both were abysmal performances.

I've used LRM Boats before, but found them very lackluster. You're either slow or nearly immobile and painfully drifting behind the team so you're easy prey for Lights - or you're just not packing a big punch and just watch your few missiles you get out evaporate to AMS easily. Having 70 missile tubes, 1,728 missiles, and 68kph speed means I'm always near the front and raining hell down on anyone I see light up. I've been on the receiving end of a brutal rain, and I *almost* feel bad for someone I catch out in the open. It really, really sucks to just continually get that missile warning and be pulverized and shaken to death.

The SLEIPNIR using quad LBX-10's is a good damage dealer, but I burn through ammo at an alarming rate and need to measure my shots. I used it once last night after adjusting it, and with 120 ammo, I was completely out with 4 enemies left to kill. Thankfully I still had a team to rely on and we won, but all I could do was dance around and soak damage. Once the hostiles realized I was out of weapons, I was ignored. What I did wrong was to take pot-shots at distant targets. While I get to rack up some good damage numbers, I'm not doing much more than turning an entire enemy chassis yellow, and I'm burning options later to do more concentrated damage. I need to either find a way to stick in a pair of ML's or be more careful. Footnote: One ally in voice chat was very displeased with me when I wanted to retreat back into the tunnel after I ran out of ammo. He wouldn't move so I could back up and started swearing at me to get out of his way. Sorry bub. Not quite interested in stepping out in front of 4 hostile Mechs with no armor, a yellow CT, and zero firepower. Beside that, my being a "f##king idiot" probably saved his life, too. I doubt he could have taken on all four, and by the time we untangled, there was only one out there.

My Raven-2X is almost fine-tuned. I want to bump the XL engine up slightly and call it done, but it's an expensive project for a minimal gain so it's not high priority.

Overall, I think the new skill (customization) system is actually better than what we had. Where before you had to buy three chassis and Master them so they could be just like every other Mech of that type that was mastered, people now have choices. Buy one chassis and master it completely. Fine-tune damage, speed, armor, etc. to your preference. Personally, I go in heavier for speed and damage and skip the Armor lines completely. A 5% armor gain on 100-point component stops a single Medium laser from killing you; that's it. I'll try armor-heavy builds on my Atlas Mechs and see how they feel, but probably nothing else.
2017-05-30
Spoiler:
Play over Memorial Day weekend went well. My Combat Rank is slowly climbing, now at something like a 3.2. They don't make it easy to level up. What I find striking in my Statistic profile is that even though I'm not feeling it, I'm still essentially deadlocked in overall Wins/Losses and Kills/Deaths. 555 Kills, 551 Deaths. 381 Wins, 385 Losses. Part of my "problem" may be that I'm not focused on a single chassis yet since I returned. I'm still trying to level things, even ones I'm not a super fan of - just because I have them. Like the new Linebacker I got for the Memorial Day weekend. Statistically, it's weaker than my Jester and handles almost as well in terms of speed - but the Jester has Jump Jets and higher-mounted Energy points for better sniping. So why play the Linebacker? I dunno -
I did, and I died twice without scoring a kill. I should just settle into a couple I like and enjoy them, be damned the overflow of XP I get with them.

I'm hamstrung by all the expenses of the new skill trees. Since I don't have a focus, all my money is being spent to convert Experience to Skill Points and sometimes I save enough to buy a few guns. Cash has dribbled through my hands like sand. I started with over 15,000,000 C-Bills in my pocket when I got back, and after a few upgrades and a couple XL Engines, I'm back to 16,000 in the bank.

I played my Founder's Atlas over the weekend a couple times, and the Skill Spec I use has full armor on him. His CT is 149 points of damage soaking, and that's where you have to hit home to make the kill. He's remarkably hard to take down - with my biggest enemy being terrain. All of his low-mounted weapons mean I can't peek over a kill and shoot. I have to climb the whole way up and wave a red flag over my head before I can fire. The alternative is to wait for everyone else on my team to push over the hill and follow them.

A lot of fights I've been in have been "Peeking" fights. It seems the maps and players have turned the game into a random shuffle. Either you're on an open map where LRM's and Peeking will rule the day, or you're on an Urban map where brawling rules. A lot of times, even in Urban maps, the game comes down to two sides exchanging fire across a bay. I've had to remap weapons so I control which side of my Mech fires to avoid wasting heat and ammo on buildings since it's death to stand out and try to get both arms in range.

I'm considering picking up another high-mounted Mech, like the Hunchback IIC, Blackjack, Jagermech, or Rifleman. I seem to perform best when weapons mounted at or above my cockpit line of sight. I waste a lot of shots hitting the crest of hills, just a hair below where they need to go.

I continue to be baffled by my good work in Grid Iron, the Hunchback Hero. I've never loved the chassis and play it because I have it sometimes. I've got an LBX-10, 3 Medium Pulse Lasers, and an SRM6 on that one. It only moves at like 72kph - as fast as my best Cyclops goes. It's not a staggering amount of damage, but I'm rarely the center of attention and I have enough armor to absorb a few hits when I am. Current stats: 29 Wins, 19 Losses, 40 Kills, 27 Deaths, 15,722 Damage total. It's 'effin wierd.
2017-05-31
Spoiler:
So I was grumbling yesterday about wanting to find a Mech with higher hardpoints for attacking without exposing myself completely. I spent time last night thumbing through the Jagermech - which looks like a wall with guns on top - very wide target zone, maybe too easy to hit. Then I looked over the Rifleman, which seemed nice - but light for a Heavy (60 tons). Then I had an epiphany. I already own two solid high-point Heavies. The Catapult K2 and Catapult Jester. I've had them forever, but have neglected them. With the way the game plays now for me, they seem ideal - especially the Jester.

I played the Jester (code named Cheshire Cat in my bay) almost exclusively last night. I managed to avoid dying in the majority of rounds, and never left the field before doing at least 300 damage. I had forgotten the joys of Jump Jets and getting into places normally locked off. It makes for opening a lot of other tactical opportunities in some maps, particularly urban ones.

So I fell in love with it all over again. After running up my skills to grab every Laser boost in Weapons (as well as all but one -Heat bonus) I added in a full side of the Agility tree to get +4.5% speed, then three Jump Jet skills, and a host of Sensor skills and Engine skills. I know - an XL in a Heavy is asking to it, but the Catapult has always had tiny side hitboxes. It's extremely rare to die to a side torso shot since I'm so maneuverable and quick. The end result is a 65 ton Heavy with Jump jets that runs at 92kph and has a 38-point Alpha that's infinitely reusable and can fire over the top of a hill with ease.

I even painted the whole thing drab green so it would look like a starter K2 and maybe psych my opponents out. I keep most of my Mechs in inconspicuous colors. The last thing I need is to be a highly visible target in a large melee. "Hey, there's that bright red bastard that annoyed me so much before! (Pewpewpew)" - I prefer Obsidian Black or Drab Green across my entire Mech. Obsidian is great in a number of maps when I play an ECM Mech like my Raven 3L. I blend into the walls and can take potshots to confuse the enemy without being clearly visible unless I move. Even on a snow map, the small corner of me that's visible could be mistaken for a rock or shadow.

The Jester's scoring is: 52 Wins, 68 Losses, 111 Kills, 89 Deaths. Most of that is from 'way back when' and honestly, the Jester fits the game better now than before (at least for me). My total scoring is now 566 Kills, 555 Deaths, 388 Wins, 389 Losses - an improvement over yesterday. I'm still Rank 3, and still climbing. I average somewhere between 3rd and 5th "Best" score each round on my team's side. I'll never be "#1" except for rare instances, and that's okay with me.
2017-06-01
Spoiler:
Last night was a lesson in humility. My teams, for whatever reason, were repeatedly steamrolled - crushing defeats of like 12-1 and 12-0. I generally died late and did hundreds of damage, but I'm not enough. I'd say it was a rough night; I haven't had the matchmaker so deliberately crush me since the last time I played regularly. I don't know if this was groups of 12 Tier 1 people against a group of Tier 4 people or what.

Overall, I'm 576 Kills to 565 deaths, and 393 Wins to 396 Losses. With the Jester, which I spent most of my time in, I'm at 56 Wins, 71 Losses, 118 Kills, 94 Deaths.

I kind of see why people are complaining about LRM's - but the problem isn't the missiles themselves. The problem is that players aren't adapting to LRM's being good again and very few people are taking AMS skills or systems. Everyone in PUG groups seems to be operating under the assumption that everyone else will equip it, and it's more like 10% that are. When an opposing team has more than two LRM carriers, there's no counter except hiding. It becomes a hellish rain of pain the second you crest a hill. If 50% of builds included AMS, LRM's would be moot.

Side note: When everyone is dead on my side except me, and I'm in slower support-spec Raven 3L with a dark orange CT while being chased by a 50-ton Mech with a Yellow CT that's hammering me with PPC's, please don't shout into the mic that I need to turn around and fight.

Given recent experiences, I think I want to try out a different Raven build. I'll call it Raving Mad. ERPPC for a nice little "reach out and touch you" without having to stay exposed - also disrupts ECM for 6 seconds. 2xML's for closer fights. Hopefully it won't run too hot. I just need to buy the XL engine - which will take a couple days of fighting. I've never been much good with fast lights, instead I work in the mid-range as a support Mech. I'd like to try more speed.
2017-06-02
Spoiler:
Dear diary, we had an absolutely abysmal night. We were soundly hammered a few times, barely getting off a single shot before being cored. Other times we were on teams that just didn't stand a chance and were rolled over with impunity. Thankfully, there were a rare few rounds that salvaged the evening to a degree.

My Jester had a few good rounds, as did my Raven 3L. Both work by keeping the majority of my chassis behind heavy cover. Comically, the Jester at 65 Tons is more maneuverable than the Raven - though the handling is extremely similar. Where the Jester lacks ECM, it has jump jets, extreme torso twist, and more damage. Where the Raven lacks brawling power, it has stealth and the ability to fire with only 20% of my body exposed. Nothing helps when I turn a corner into three Heavies and they pop my CT in a heartbeat, though. I had a round last night where I managed a staggering 38 damage (my alpha on the Jester) before dying; on another round, I did 750 damage and was the second-to-last to die after my team failed to remain cohesive.

I'm still struggling to find a good place for my non-LRM Cyclops Mechs. They have relatively good, high LT/RT but I still have to go head, shoulders, and chest over a hill to fire - but at least I don't need to get my hips up there. My arms are kept in reserve for close fights. I've got the Cyclops Slepnir currently outfitted with quad Ultra AC5's. While this does let me pour on damage (having a 20-point alpha is deceptive when you can fire it rapidly), it still makes for a poor ranged fighter where you crest a hill or turn a corner, fire, and retreat. The damage done just isn't worth the damage taken.

On one hand, I'm glad there isn't a single "best" Mech that combines lean profile, high hardpoints, ECM, speed, Jump Jets, and armor. On the other hand, it makes it hard to find a sweet spot. I've been eyeing the Griffin 2N. While it lacks high fire, it's got reasonable speed, armor, Jump, and ECM. Being highly mobile in my Jester has spurred me to look for ECM with JJ's.

It was a night of getting nowhere on ranking. Currently at 581 Kills, 575 Deaths, 396 Wins, 404 Losses. I really wish I could do better than breaking even constantly.
2017-06-05
Spoiler:
Current overall scores: 616 Kills, 601 Deaths, 417 Wins, 423 Losses.

My best rounds involved the Jester, which is a very agile and very cool-running Mech capable of getting into a fight and laying down damage for a prolonged period of time. A couple times I managed to crack 900 damage with it, and *almost* won a round as the last man standing against a Grasshopper with one leg left - but I couldn't get in behind him and all he had to do was hit me once.

I did buy a Hunchback IIC-A after watching someone rack up 1,500 damage with it one round. It's a solid contender that will need a lot of work. It has Jump Jets and 6 relatively high mounted Energy hardpoints in the LT/RT. I want to drop in a better engine (Maybe an XL255?) and think the speed will make it basically on par with the Jester (if a little slower) but in a lighter weight class.

The Cyclops Sleipnir is doing okay using qaud Ultra AC5's. I've arranged it to use a MPL in the head slot and it has no other backup weapons; once the ammo runs dry, that's it. Still, it can be fierce and seems to startle people when they get knocked around by AC5's firing out of sync, so it's a lot of jostling in rapid succession. The saving grace remains the relatively high-mounted slotting on the LT/RT - my arms on this one are just useless. The same goes for a lot of Mechs. It's just too dangerous to plod out and expose 50% of your body to make a single shot.
2017-06-08
Spoiler:
Current Standing: 632 Kills, 612 Deaths, 423 Wins, 431 Losses.

I've been sticking more to my comfort zones and playing the Mechs I like most while letting others sit on the sideline. That's mostly the Catapult Jester & Cyclops Sleipnir. My last big project is to dress up the Raven 3L with an XL255 engine so it moves at 118kph instead of 97kph. I think it needs the speed boost, even at the cost of some firepower. After that, I suppose I'll just keep tweaking builds to try and make all of my Mechs more functional. They're all in a generally good place, though, from prior play.

When I get into a groove with the Sleipnir, it's lethal. Quad Ultra-AC5's pack a whollup in rapid fashion and don't generate much heat - so I can pour on the pain and keep it rolling. I had one round last night where I racked up just over 1000 damage and scored 6 kills. I'm using the Cyclops war horn, and at one point I was leading a push into an urban area and ran into a badly damaged group - and that war horn played three times in rapid succession. It was beautiful. The biggest drawback to this Mech is that pouring on the pain means taking a CT beating. I have to face my enemies unflinchingly, which is generally ill-advised.

I managed to scrape together the funds to shift my Hunchback IIC-A into an XL255 engine, and it goes a more workable 86kph now. The single round I played with it afterwards was worth 2 kills and about 500 damage - so that works. I can be okay with the speed, since it's got jump jets to go with it. The problem is heat. 2xC-LPL alone generate 30% of my total heat, and I've got another 4x C-ERML's. As a Medium, trying to work as a support fire Mech, I actually had someone complain in voice chat that I was stealing kills. I don't go out of my way to do that - I just unload on the nearest red dot that I can see and hit without making myself too much of a target. Despite my good work, we did lose (badly).
2017-06-09
Spoiler:
Current Standing: 641 Kills, 618 Deaths, 427 Wins, 437 Losses.

I lost more than I won last night, and killed more than I died. There wasn't any real change in Mech layouts, and I pretty much stuck to the Sleipnir, Jester, and Hunchback IIC-A. Sleipnir was my salvation with a 4-kill round. The night was a complete mess of chaotic teams and frustrating fights. After only an hour, I was annoyed enough that I wanted to call it quits - but I hung on and finished on a high note with that 4-kill round. The icing on that one was that my quad Ultra-AC5's ran out of ammo at exactly the same time as I killed the last enemy - so I had exactly the right amount of ammo. :lol:

Teamwork in PUG's is really hit or miss. It's obvious when it's there, and it's obvious when it's not. For my part, I try and stick in the middle of our cluster and move back and forth between the edges of the fight to support wherever I can without standing in one spot as a target. I think I've learned that when I press "R" to target someone, I often take the opportunity to shoot them immediately if they pop back up. I assume others do too. If I move around a lot, it means I'm not always the immediate target.

For the life of me, I don't get why people complain about someone's Mech layout. I was in my Jester and was the second-to-last man standing when I was killed by a RT shot that wiped my engine out. I did over 650 damage, scored two kills, and was almost the last person alive. In Voice Chat, the second I died, I hear "Really? You're using an XL?" like I had made a poor choice. I had outlived almost my entire team, and out-damaged everyone except a couple people on the enemy team - and I'm getting guff for having a weak spot? FU, dude. FU.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is this new CivilWar addon free or is a pack you pay for? Someone was telling me I could redo my Jager mech with rotory canons and a light fusion engine. if so Ill re download and install again to try ti all out. But not if it costs money.

I keep seeing pre order civil war..but no price. Is that just for new Mechs?
KDH

Post by KDH »

... FREE SOLARIS 7 CHAMPION 'MECH JUST FOR LOGGING IN!
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Greetings MechWarriors!

We hope you're enjoying all the new features and content included in the Solaris 7 Game Update! To celebrate this game update we wanted to do something extra special, so from April 19th 5:00 PM PST (00:00 UTC) to May 1st 00:00 PST (7 AM UTC) we're giving you a free Solaris 7 Champion 'Mech [Uziel UZL-3P(C)] and 'Mechbay just for patching up and logging into the MechWarrior Online Solaris 7 Game Client!

Read below for all the details.

- The MechWarrior Online Team
DETAILS:

How to get your Free Solaris 7 Division 7 Champion 'Mech!

Patch your game to the latest version of MechWarrior Online Solaris 7
The Content will be added to your account!

NOTES:
Get the Installer here: https://mwomercs.com/game/download
or install on Steam:

The Uziel Champion 'Mech will be added to your account shortly!
NOTES:
The content injection script is run every hour on the hour Starting at 6PM PST If you miss the hour window please be patient!

To qualify you must have logged into the game client between the promotions start and end times
STARTS: April 19th 5:00 PM PST (00:00 UTC)
ENDS: May 1st 00:00 PST (7 AM UTC)
STARTS: April 19th 5:00 PM PST (00:00 UTC)
ENDS: May 1st 00:00 PST (7 AM UTC)
Last edited by KDH on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you! Will have to download and install and log again. Uziel is one of my favorite mechs ever.