Mechwarrior Online coming 2012 and it's free

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

morlac

Re: Mechwarrior Online coming 2012 and it's free

Post by morlac »

I don't mind spending money on this game but most of the stuff seems way too expensive. I have already spent about $45 and have only one premium mech to show for it and 4 additional bays. The rest was spent on going premium for the exp/CC boost. I can't seem to justify buying anything else except new mechs and bays as the custom paint jobs and other stuff cost way too much imo.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I've spent far too much money on the game. But then I talk to friends who have put over 500 bucks into World of Tanks and I feel a helluva lot better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I put over $500 into WoT back when it was new and I was flush with cash...never again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They've got all the 'right' money sinks, but they play them wrong.

Paint is about 5x more expensive than it should be.
Camo is 2x as expensive as it should be, and should always be an 'unlock' and never one-use.
You can use your favorite Mech and convert all excess experience into General XP, but the experience system is all repetitive dead ends.
A $50 Lowe in World of Tanks got you quick access to upper-tier fights and lots of income; a $30 Highlander gets you 30% extra C-Bills.
'Premium' consumables are identical to regular ones after the right upgrades (I admit that this doesn't bother me)
Lower-tier Premium mechs are solid alternate choices. Top-Tier premiums are unworthy (Pretty Baby is a mess both paint-wise and hardpoint-wise; Heavy Metal plays annoying music and screams "shoot me" from across the map).

I'll be curious to see how the new Premium Stalker plays out. I'm already okay with the paint job.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lately it is taking my game longer and longer to start. I click the desktop icon and it takes more and more time for my launcher to pop up. this time it took around 2 minutes. U started up Windows update to pass time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I wanted a Cataphract cause they just look so damn cool and tough. but that doesn't keep me alive on the battlefield never mind get me wins and money. So now I think I want a Jagermech. Would that be my best option or should I get a Stalker? I like to hit hard. I have 11 million saved up...and I think all my Founders money which i think is 20k. Would a Jager suit me well?

I do also want a light ...Ill most likely get the light mech first and it will be a Commando. Ill kite it out in lasers probably.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In my Founder Hunchback I've learned to stop following the big mechs and follow any other Hunchbacks. 2 AC20's hitting someone ruins their day. Even better if there are 3 of us.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Another update regarding recommended mechs. Today I'm focusing not on the specific models, but more the group as a whole. I've managed to elite quite a few different groups now, so I can tell you which ones suck and which ones don't.

From lightest to heaviest:

Spiders - While very fun to run, they earn so little XP that it takes forever to do anything with them. Combine that with the problem of only one of the models is actually decent (the 5D) and you have a rather painful line to work with. I do not recommend.

Commando - At least you have 5 options instead of 3 in this line. I rarely play them, so honestly I have no opinion.

Jenner - The hardest hitting light mech. Just FYI, people have calculated the MC cost of the Jenner-F(C) and it's actually a good deal. Again, I don't play these much, no opinion.

Raven - The Raven 3L continues to be one of the best mechs in the game. The 2X and 4X are mostly garbage. Not a line I'd focus on unless you are obsessive. (Oh, and right now I'm focused on eliting the Raven line.)

Cicada - For all intents, these are just bigger Jenners. I like them due to their oddities during building, but they tend to not hit very hard versus their normal weight class.

Trebuchet - Haven't play a single round in them. No opinion.

Hunchback - The advantage of this line is that many of them play very different from each other. That means you can have fun with very different playstyles. However, they all feel paper-thin to me, so be careful on the battlefield in them.

Centurion - Underpowered unless you like wandering around as a zombie-mech with no arms. Centurions are a curious lot in that they are very easy to rip apart, but very hard to kill. Biggest problem is that they generally focus on ballistics but don't have the weight to allow much use of them.

Blackjack - New mech, no opinion.

Dragon - What a hunk of junk! The Dragon is hampered by it's need to be built as a fast mech, otherwise it's pointless. You can get it working well, but it ain't easy. I do not recommend this mech unless you have more money than sense.

Jagermech - The awesomeness of the A and S models is hampered by the awfulness of the DD model. I'd wait on this line until they have a hero mech that you can use instead of the DD crap.

Catapult - Versatile, jump jets, fun! The K2 is one of the more fun mechs in the game as well, even with Jags in play. Just remember that missiles are much harder to use than you'd expect.

Cataphract - So much versatility and effectiveness. This is one of the best lines in the game. Load up some mix of PPC's, UAC's, Large lasers, etc, and go to town.

Awesome - Probably takes the cake for worst mech line in the entire game. Easy to kill, doesn't hit hard enough, not fast enough, the list goes on.

Highlander - Poptarts. As in, you attach jump jets, jump up from behind a hill, and then fire all your PPCs and AC weapons at an enemy while you fall back down. This tactic is going to be nerfed in 3 weeks, and I'm not sure what advantages the mech line will have at that point.

Stalker - The hardest hitting mech in the game. You want 4 PPCs and 5 Streak SRMs? Easy. You want to launch an LRM 60? Can do. The biggest issue with this line is that many of the mechs are VERY similar, but owning even one is pretty fun.

Atlas - The big daddy of the battlefield. It's almost required to use an AC/20 on them, just so you know. Don't put a Gauss Rifle on them, as it's suicide. The line is quite fun, but be aware that the K model has that designation because it's overexpensive Krap. The D-DC is still, after all these patches, one of the best mechs in the game.

TL;DR SUMMARY

If you're looking to get into the game, your best bet is to start at Hunchback. Determine if you like slow or fast play. If you like fast, go Jenner or Cicada. If you like slow, go Jagermech or Cataphract . If you want even slower play after that, go Stalker or Atlas.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good write up..thank you. Im a founder and am STILL just using my Hunchback it came with. I have everything else still all saved up for idea reason.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've begun to notice that the enemy team aims for me first a lot of times...or kills me pretty quickly. My guess is because Im a Hunchback Im an easier kill than the mostly heavy and assault mechs around me. Im only not much faster than one . Also Im very dangerous with my AC20 which is easy to see on me and then 3 mLasers.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Daehawk wrote:I've begun to notice that the enemy team aims for me first a lot of times...or kills me pretty quickly. My guess is because Im a Hunchback Im an easier kill than the mostly heavy and assault mechs around me. Im only not much faster than one . Also Im very dangerous with my AC20 which is easy to see on me and then 3 mLasers.
Hunchies are easy to incapacitate by aiming for the hump. So yes, you are a priority target.

Want to be super annoying? Build a Centurion Zombie. People will aim at you only long enough to take out the arm, then you can continue to wreck their day as they ignore the poor armless zombie.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I've been on an MWO break but started playing a little again today.

Just wish they would hurry up with 12-vs-12.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote:I've been on an MWO break but started playing a little again today.

Will that mean people may break into squads of 5-7 and split up to flank their enemies, or will it mean a mass of 12 slogging across the landscape - popping any poor sucker that sticks their head up in front of them?
Black Lives Matter

Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote:
Rip wrote:I've been on an MWO break but started playing a little again today.

Will that mean people may break into squads of 5-7 and split up to flank their enemies, or will it mean a mass of 12 slogging across the landscape - popping any poor sucker that sticks their head up in front of them?
It should mean three properly structured lances of four. Hard to say though until they are finished balancing stuff. Things like the new screen shake when jumping have a MAJOR effect on tactics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still waiting on my Axman mech.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Just heard on NGNG podcast 12-v-12 first patch in July!

WOOT!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

NGNG podcast? What's the full name so I can add it to my list?

Any word on better, more interesting missions? Really tired of the basic world of tanks style slogs, no better than deathmatch.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Turtle wrote:NGNG podcast? What's the full name so I can add it to my list?

Any word on better, more interesting missions? Really tired of the basic world of tanks style slogs, no better than deathmatch.
No Guts No Galaxy
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get random trial mechs in my garage.. I guess thats normal?

Anyways for a couple days Ive had an Atlas and a Phract. I got killed by a little bitty guy that stayed out of my sight in the Atlas so screw that one. Too slow. The Phract though i've had fun with all night tonight. It has 1 large laser, 2 AC5 and a single LRM5. Not well armed by any means but those LRMs are deadly or at least make a mess. The LL gives me some line of sight reach out and touch and the double AC5's really shatter nerves on enemies.

Im considering buying a Phract now but still not sure. I would not use this wep load out thats for sure. But having some LRMs would be a definite now where in the old days I wouldn't touch them. All this ECM these days though is crazy good compared to the old days.

Still think I want a fast little light mech for fun first though. Maybe that zombie Commando. Either the zombie or the energy heavy other little mech.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Trial mechs change every patch.

Raven 3L FTW!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Turn speed is dictated by current movement speed, and usually you can weather the fire of a light in an Atlas enough to just stand still and blast the guy, or just use his momentum against you and turn the other way if he's circling you and let him run into your crosshairs.

Many a light has fallen to my AC20 thinking they could circle strafe me, and it's a required skill to learn if you pilot any of the assaults. Having some weapon that will quickly deter or kill a light is a must unless you have a really good team. This is why I usually run as my Anti-Light Commando.

Funny thing is, all these mechs really should have had a pilot and gunner setup from the very beginning. Even with that fancy neurohelmet I wonder how they could ever justify running these giant machines with only one pilot handling everything. I know in the fiction that they introduced double cockpits again. Ah well, it's a game.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

80bit, on the MWO forums, has posted a complete review of every single mech in the game to date.

I read through the list, and he's accurate on all counts. I would bookmark this and refer to it before purchasing any mech.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Awww, he named my spider the worst mech in the game.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You just have terrible taste in mechs. Admit it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ChrisGrenard wrote:80bit, on the MWO forums, has posted a complete review of every single mech in the game to date.

I read through the list, and he's accurate on all counts. I would bookmark this and refer to it before purchasing any mech.
I agree with it all as well, but I love my Founder's Atlas-D and while my D-DC does better, I don't feel as "manly" in it as I do the other. Can't explain why. I'm looking forward to getting the RS and rounding off to three so I can finally push into Elite with them.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I've bought a Raven 3L. Ive set it up with 2 mlas, 2 ssrm, 1 bap, 1 ecm, 2 tons of ammo, xl295 and the rest armor. Im wondering if I should lose some armor in my legs..its 35 each...and add a 3rd mlaser?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Ok I've bought a Raven 3L. Ive set it up with 2 mlas, 2 ssrm, 1 bap, 1 ecm, 2 tons of ammo, xl295 and the rest armor. Im wondering if I should lose some armor in my legs..its 35 each...and add a 3rd mlaser?
Don't think BAP will help you much since the functionality is disabled for mechs covered by ECM which you always are. I use it on my non ECM mechs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well thats weird..It's supposed to help me see those with ecm and target them. Why would it not work just because I myself have ecm?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Well thats weird..It's supposed to help me see those with ecm and target them. Why would it not work just because I myself have ecm?
Beagle Active Probe

- Now counters ECM within 150m.
- BAP will only counter 1 enemy ECM 'Mech within its range
- A Mech that equips both ECM and BAP will only receive the sensor range bonus and the ability to detect powered down Mechs from BAP. Other BAP features gets overridden by the active ECM.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/118563 ... -may-2013/

Not only that but although I can't find where I read it right now but if you have BAP but are covered by ECM from another mech on your team the BAP will not jam opposing ECM. :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm may replace it with a TAG then or something. Maybe remove it and stick that mlas in :)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Hmmm may replace it with a TAG then or something. Maybe remove it and stick that mlas in :)
TAG is pretty effective right now. Range kicked up to 750m and there seems to be more LRMs around than there has been in some time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im replacing the SSRMs with normals SRMs too. Just now I had another light circle me to death and the whole battle..,aybe 1 min....my SSRMs would not lock..they woudn't do a damn thing but beep at me when I tried to fire...not once did the locking circles show up. the yworked fine just the battle before. I had this guy target locked and all...fuck'm. Ill put some in thats'll fire no matter what.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I've yanked all the missiles and the BAP. But it seems the only place I can place a TAG is the right arm. I have 2 mlas there. I'd have to move one to use a TAG. Is it worth it? I was hoping to add a 3rd mlas to the setup.

Found a spot on the right torso.

Still leaves out that 3rd mlas. I dont need ammo to a TAG right? Is it auto use...Or do I fire it somehow in game?
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

The state of the Grenard as of yesterday.

Enlarge Image

Total time played (At Lordnine's request): 92 hours. :cry:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:Ok I've yanked all the missiles and the BAP. But it seems the only place I can place a TAG is the right arm. I have 2 mlas there. I'd have to move one to use a TAG. Is it worth it? I was hoping to add a 3rd mlas to the setup.

Found a spot on the right torso.

Still leaves out that 3rd mlas. I dont need ammo to a TAG right? Is it auto use...Or do I fire it somehow in game?
Doesn't need ammo but you do need to assign it to a fire group and "fire" it at your target.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

this bot is about to explode. I suggest we toss it before it goes and takes us with it.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It's main reactor has gone critical!
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Alpha Strike!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im looking to get a 3rd mech to play. I have my founders Hunchback with AC20 and I have a fast little Raven. Im looking for something in a heavy or assault size that is ballistics based. I dotn care for missiles on it and energy weps would be considered for sniping only. I want some good old kenetic weapons on something.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Alas, I most recommend the Firebrand, but it costs real money. On sale at least.