Amalur: Destiny and Fate(Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning now

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

triggercut

Re: Amalur: Destiny and Fate(Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning no

Post by triggercut »

GreenGoo and Lorini, you have PM's.

Please don't repost that article elsewhere. Thanks!
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

...and new story just went live as well:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/0 ... 8-studios/" target="_blank
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

triggercut wrote:GreenGoo and Lorini, you have PM's.

Hey, no worries. I definitely do not want you doing something you are not comfortable with. That said, I didn't receive a pm. Now, that said, I went and used our ultra super special only by request internet room to view te article, which was thorough and informative. Thanks for writing it!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

triggercut wrote:GreenGoo and Lorini, you have PM's.

No PM yet, but thanks much for the thought!!!
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

For those who aren't afraid to delve into that wretched hive of scum and villainy known as Quarter to Three, Trig can be heard on this week's podcast.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So, has there been any discussion on if anyone would pick up the KoA IP/assets if they can be purchased after bankruptcy? I'd hate to see the game totally die with just v1.0 of the game.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lorini wrote:
silverjon wrote:I understand being blocked by work, but I don't understand "I don't go there either" as a reason for requesting a re-post here.

Even if you avoid Qt3's forums, viewing an article on the domain doesn't take you anywhere near the forums. So unless you're boycotting the Qt3 domain to keep Tom from getting page-view ad money... ?
Absolutely. No way am I giving him any page views. TC you are certainly free to do as you wish, but I don't recall any TOS that says that Tom owns anything you publish there.

Not a big deal, but I'm always interested in your point of view TC.
I do miss you in the NBA thread though ;)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Buatha wrote:So, has there been any discussion on if anyone would pick up the KoA IP/assets if they can be purchased after bankruptcy? I'd hate to see the game totally die with just v1.0 of the game.
I would tend to doubt that there's much interest in ever doing another single player game on this IP. The folks who coded that engine, designed the assets, and incorporated the lore are gone. Epic Baltimore is going to be doing an action-y RPG, and any publisher interested in "Reckoning II" is likely to shy away from that competition.

I would think that a few publishers are going to kick the tires on Copernicus, but I'd expect that the buyer will likely be looking for something that can be launched quickly as free to play, and from all accounts I've gotten, the move to switch Copernicus from a subscription model to an FTP one had just begun in March, so they may not have gotten far at all with that. Whomever buys it has to have folks who can backwards engineer the code, lore, and everything else, too.
astyanax

Post by astyanax »

A bit of old news that I didn't see posted anywhere, but it looks like the talent from BHG will remain somewhat intact:

Epic Games Saves Kingdoms of Amalur Developer

Might be just me, but lots of games seem to have "gimmicks" that I tire of long before the endgame. However, KoA retained a sense of freshness- there was generally more fun than tedium, more "I'm awesome" moments than frustrating ones... Though likely not with the KoA IP, I'm glad that the devs will get another chance.

EDIT- another link with slightly more info.
Last edited by astyanax on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What a nice ending, I really enjoyed the game as well.
Black Lives Matter
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

astyanax wrote:there was generally more fun than tedium, more "I'm awesome" moments than frustrating ones...
Except that EA is going to leave it broken. BHG was working on the patch and EA has been stalling it. Now EA is going to use the 38 drama as cover for the fact that they are screwing their customers again. I wish the BHG guys luck though and I really did like the game (I put close to 80 hours in it).
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

That's what chaps me the most about the whole situation. I haven't seriously started playing since I hope someone puts together a list of quests/situations to avoid due to bugs.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

No need not to dive in, imo. This is the game I'm playing right now and I've only run across on NPC that won't talk to me. That's the extent of bugs for me so far.
Between the main, faction and side quests, and tasks (repeatable quests) you'll have lots to keep you going for as many hours as you want.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I never saw any bugs on the PC version. My understanding is the the PS3 version was the one with problems (but then again maybe I'm thinking of Skyrim).
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Same here, I completed the main campaign and all of the faction quests + Dead Kel and never encountered any real problems. I think the game crashed once in 52 hours of play.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I was reading there were some items that were impossible to remove from inventory (and maybe can't be junked). I didn't get the feeling it was horribly buggy, but I've been burned by not being able to finish games due to bugs. I don't get much time to game, so a loss of what would be hours for you might be a month for me ;)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Certainly haven't run into that on PC. This game is definitely a highlight for me this year and I am really disappointed to see the team go under.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

Buatha wrote:I was reading there were some items that were impossible to remove from inventory (and maybe can't be junked).
This, and a couple of game-stopping bugs in Dead Kel. Just save a lot towards the end of the DLC (you'll know when you are getting close). I had one where I got locked in a boss fight and the boss fell through the world or something. Backtracked about two hours, got through with the boss intact, and then the next boss bugged out the same way.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If anybody's still interested, I ran across a new post mortem in Boston magazine.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

It's on steam for 49.99 € while on Origin it's only 19.99 €

So if anyone still wants it I would steer clear of steam. it also didn't go on sale during the summer sale.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I'm revisiting this and enjoying it way more than I did the first time.

Except I've managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle. I'm playing on normal and haven't exactly been min-maxing my skills. I'm mostly might but with a smattering of Finesse for the bow and a few wasted points in Sorcery for increased staff damage (plus special moves).

My last 2 save games both have me committed to the Lady Windemere quest line. I'm level 16 or 17 or something. Well, the fight is a joke. Even with gulping potions she eventually gets so many adds out that I can't move. Sprites are generally annoying but when there are 10 of them thrown in with some heavy hitters, they are a nightmare.

So I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. I get too frustrated to try the fight many times in a row, but I'm stuck with save games that go too far back to be comfortable with.

Anyone have any hits about how to take her out? I watched a couple of youtube videos but they were finesse builds.

It would suck to abandon the game now, I've been really enjoying myself otherwise and am motivated to finish it, despite it having so many hours of gameplay through side quests.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

You can lower the difficulty level to Casual for the fight, you just won't get any achievements while playing at that level. I remember some fights being really, really annoying and usually skipped them till I gained a few levels since the game with the DLC's is massive.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, if I realized I was getting in over my head I would have just gone and done something else until I was higher level. It's not like I don't have 40 other quests in my log.

I'm a little grumpy at this point. I don't like games that let you paint yourself into a corner, especially if there is no real way to judge the difficulty of what you're taking on.

Ah well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't remember any fight being difficult in that game - actually, quite the opposite. But that was because I did every.single. side-quest available before tackling the main story -- I was ridiculously over-leveled. I just looked up a video as I didn't even remember the part you're referring to, and it didn't help. I do remember there were some fights where drinking the right combination of potions was critically important, but it sounds like you already tried that. There were also boss fights where I stunned the ever loving crap out of them and it took like a minute to win. Wish I could help here, but I'm drawing a blank. Loved this game, FWIW.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

If you've been saving gear, then I'd suggest taking a look at switching to magic. I've found that it is insanely powerful. I haven't gone back to melee, but I don't think that it is even in the same ballpark. Especially once you are throwing around the meteors and other AoE.

I think I remember the fight you are talking about. But I don't think I had trouble with the adds because I did so much damage.

For trying to stick with melee, I don't know what options are there. I'm assuming you already know what skills you have.

So you could try going away and coming back. And hoping that she doesn't level up with you.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No, I haven't been saving gear. Only recently got my house with stash and inventory is always a problem in this game if you carry around all the consumables you find (I'm in the middle of thinning that out a bit).

I just buffed the hell outta myself, backed her into a corner and pounded her into the ground while everything else tried to stun lock me. I chugged health potions and after about 9 attempts (just tonight) I managed to kill her off.

Got zero loot, but about 1/2 a bar of experience.

Now I'm both Sagrell and king of the House of Ballads. Go me.

Me and the tree had a chat and now I'm having a word with a matriarchal Troll with dreams of conquest.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Congratulations.

You might want to think about collecting some caster gear...

I know gilraen was having some issues until she switched over to magic. It'll make some of the later fights MUCH easier.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finished the damn thing. Finally. Probably 120 hours or so. I'm not much for finishing RPG's, and certainly not for putting in over 100 hours into them (although I often put much more into other types of games).

Tirnoch has been defeated. And I hope to never see this game ever again.

It was good. It had to be to keep me playing. But I had had enough about 20 hours ago.

edit: Apparently I was playing on hard difficulty. Who knew? Outside of the battle I was complaining about above, I never got stuck again, that I can remember anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any help for a noob on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I have just exited the dwarf well area cave and have made 1 lvl. I am a human fighter type. I like daggers and swords although from my skill points it appears I should pick one or the other and not try to do too much with my points.

So I plan to be a fighter with swords. Well unless thats a bad idea...let me know. I put a point into alchemy so as to loot good regents. I plan to do alchemy and blacksmithing and use swords and wear metal armor.

Anything I really should know before moving on with my plan?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I can barely remember anything about the game. I'll give it some thought. I don't recall the game punishing any particular build, and I'm fairly sure I chose to be a jack of all trades across the 3 trees (there are bonuses associated with how many skill points you put in each tree/combination of trees). This is exactly as it sounds, I was good at most things but not great at anything.

So do what you want, it will work.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you can be a jack of all trades this must be the first game where it would work well :) Im at the spot where the seer guy lets me choose my own fate..brawler for melee, rogue or caster...but with those giving big bonuses to attack and guard and such I could also pick JoaT the jack path and get like 7% in everything. Its tempting as Im having fun sneaking and backstabbing and using a bow and magic and lock picking...hmmmm...maybe I will do a JAck build.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I don't really remember much other than it's very action-y and I did quite well as someone that was primarily a fighter. The other thing is that it was never balanced. Essentially, if you like doing side quests and exploring, you're going to quickly out-level the main story and combat should mostly be easy. IIRC, it was something they never really thought about -- players (like me) that do every single side quest available. For most of the game I really remember just ripping through everything.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... I never played all of them, so I don't know how useful this will be. But, being a caster makes the game pretty easy. Maybe high level fighters and thieves also have it easy, but it didn't seem that way. At higher levels you can get some devastating AoE spells. I'm sure you can still melee the group fights, but I'm betting you really have to have the moves down pat (blocks, dodges, etc). Magic takes the skill out? Maybe? So I guess it depends on whether you want a more challenging game, or just want to experience the content.

As for being a Jack of All Trades, I think you will be seriously hamstringing yourself. Mostly because the gear that you find will have bonuses that benefit only one of the builds. Especially the really nice gear that has set bonuses.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not far in but Im having a lot of fun with it to have cost me only $4.02. Not sure why I passed it up when it was new.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chakras were my weapon of choice. Great fun.

I’m going to repeat my recommendation that I think I gave earlier in this thread; stick to the main story and Faction quest. You can, and should, pretty much avoid all side quests or you will burn out on the game very fast. The Faction quests are all well done and satisfying but most of the standard side quests are straight up MMO fetch quests. It’s not even possible to do them all because some just get randomized and reseeded after you complete them the first time.

Keep that in mind and it’s a highly enjoyable game.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've burned out twice. I've got 107 hours and am probably 2/3rds of the way through. I know I'll go back and finish, because it really is good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I burned out twice early on, and am currently trying a third playthrough. I've gotten further than ever before.

Some tips:

~Don't invest in Lockpicking. The lockpicking minigame is dead easy without any points.
~Invest a few points in both Dispelling (enough to get the second try) and Detect Hidden. Detect hidden was the first skill I maxed.
~You absolutely can Jack of All Trades, but it is also wise to have a main focus with the rest there for support (I'm currently playing straight Finesse
~Read up on the training and skill book system. Quick hint: Your race got +2 to one thing. Don't read any skill books in that thing until you've visited all of the trainers that do up to +3 for it.
~Don't do every side quest. Just don't. This coming from a completionist. They usually aren't that imaginative, and will quickly make you both burned out and insanely overpowered. Do the main and faction quests until things get hard, then do a few side quests to boost yourself a bit.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I only have one play through. But it is seriously stalled. I think I was nearing the end of the first continent. And I am/did doing/did all of the side quests. So, yeah, it's pretty easy. Towards the end I was really only doing it for the story. And the satisfaction of utterly destroying masses of foes.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Re: Amalur: Destiny and Fate(Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning now

Post by Smoove_B »

Never thought I'd see this: THQ Nordic now owns Kingdom of Amalur IP.

We are beyond proud to announce that THQ Nordic has acquired the "Kingdoms of Amalur" IP, among other assets, from 38 Studios.
Skinypupy

Re: Amalur: Destiny and Fate(Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning now

Post by Skinypupy »

Interesting.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of that world, although they seriously need to cut down on the sidequest hell for the next game. Tried KoA twice, and got burned out by the absolutely absurd number of quests both times.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.