Batman: Arkham City

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: Batman: Arkham City

Post by Lordnine »

I'm assuming the difference is that with a controller holding the analog stick in a direction makes the object continue to turn or move in that direction. With a mouse you can only move it so far in one direction before you run out of mouse pad, at which point you have to pick it up and move it back to the top.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Really impressed with what they have done for some of the lesser known Batman villains. I just ran into the Mad Hatter and they turned him amazingly creepy. Make sure to listen to his audio logs with Strange if you find him!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I'm trying to play this game with a controller, but for some reason they don't disable the mouse pointer when you do so. Instead they center it on the screen every time you change to a different menu, which means it's always in the way and I have to move it to a corner manually if I want to see what I'm doing. Is there some way to get rid of the pointer in this game that I'm missing?
Insert witty comment here.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Just a little warning: Make sure you're actually running Games for Windows Live before you start this game. I had mine disabled since it takes an average of 45 seconds to load during the Windows 7 boot, and didn't remember to turn it back on for Batman. The game didn't give me a single warning (though I did wonder why I couldn't bring up the Live interface) and let me play as normal. Played for about 2 hours then called it a night. Started it up again this morning and... there was no evidence I had ever played the game. No saved games whatsoever. All my progress lost.

If you're not seeing the GFWL interface, quit the game and make sure you're actually running the application first.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been having a time with the Origin install. Apparently the installer doesn't do a good disk space check before installing and takes up like 30GB of space just to extract everything. First time I installed it went ahead and acted like it finished, but only a few files were actually there. When I tried to run it, it gave a weird error and wouldn't launch.

The sucky thing is when I tried to go back into Origin and start over, it made me download the entire game again. So I didn't get to play at all last night. :grund:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve heard other people mention that the game will save without GFWL as long as you stick with an offline account and don't ever try login. No personal experience though.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Lordnine wrote:I’ve heard other people mention that the game will save without GFWL as long as you stick with an offline account and don't ever try login. No personal experience though.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with my problem. To login with an offline account you must still have GFWL running in the background. If you don't, you can't do anything that has to do with GFWL, and you'll not be warned by the game.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finished the main plot storyline tonight. 20 hour play time having done about 2/3 of the side missions. Two missions and two weapons/items never even became revealed so I'm interested to find out what I missed. Very happy with the ending and in spite of a few problems the game would rank very highly on my best of the year list.

A word of warning for those who want to complete everything, the main story missions escalate very quickly towards the end of the main plotline and while you probably could collect everything still it’s going to become extremely difficult. Considering you need items late in the game to solve all the Riddler challenges I don’t think you’re intended to.

Also, after you finish the game you get a new Catwoman mission and it looks like you can complete everything you missed after you finish with that.

Lastly, watch at least the first half of the credits.

Ending Spoiler Warning Don’t Read Unless You Finished The Game!!!!
Spoiler:
Really surprised they killed off so many villains in this one, by my count five went down at two can’t be brought back easily. In a way I think it’s fitting that they chose to have Joker die in the end since Mark Hammill chose this to be his final outing in the role.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Post-Ending Spoiler Don't Read Unless You Finished the Game and Watched the Credits!
Spoiler:
If I remember right, the Joker sings a song about midway through the credits, leaving his demise comic-style open ended.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

wonderpug wrote:Post-Ending Spoiler Don't Read Unless You Finished the Game and Watched the Credits!
Spoiler:
If I remember right, the Joker sings a song about midway through the credits, leaving his demise comic-style open ended.
Spoiler:
Actually, before the song starts text appears on the screen saying that you received the message 3 hours ago. Pretty similar to the hilarious voice mails Joker sent you throughout the game.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Anyone get the Robin and/or Nightwing DLC and have an opinion on them? Are they just characters to play in the challenge rooms or is it more to it?

I've finished it, actually twice (New Game+ as well). Great game, but probably not as good as the first. I think the open world actually detracted from the game. It made the pacing off or something. Possibly due to me running all over trying to find Riddler trophies. Still, really fun game and I'm still not really finished. Some of these side missions are not easy to find it seems.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife just bought this for me on Steam. Downloading now. Wasn't interested in playing it till I actually got around to playing the first one and finishing it a few weeks ago. She also tossed in $30 more bucks for me to use when the Steam Christmas sale starts....what a woman!! Thanks dear!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I've been hamstrung by SecuROM. Whenever I try and boot the game, I get SecuROM telling me it failed with error 9000. The only solutions I've found are reinstall (did that), disable any drive emulators (don't have those), or don't pirate the game (bought from Origin).

So far, I've sent emails to WB and SecuROM support, but I'm frankly not optimistic. I suppose I haven't tried disabling my antivirus, though I can't imagine the MSE would cause that error. Really frustrating, and kind of a reminder of the advantages of console gaming. Also annoyed if I can't get it working and the money's flushed down the toilet.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Did you try their diagnostic tool to see if it could help shed anymore light? Doubtful, but here's a link:
https://support.securom.com/analysis.php" target="_blank
Last edited by IceBear on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Did that, and it basically said "yeah, I dunno, contact support". :horse:
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Do you have GameJackal? I know I've had games yell about DRM issues just by having GameJackal running
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I've got no GameJackal, Alcohol, or anything else that I'd think would piss off the DRM. I even disabled my media server program just in case.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You're a much more patient man than I am. At about the first time DRM starts bullshitting me, I go for the no-CD crack, and, failing that, I download the game via torrent.
Black Lives Matter
Jow

Post by Jow »

Playing this is bringing back all the joy I had playing Arkham Asylum and then some. They do such a phenomenal job at making you feel like Batman.

The only complaint I have is that there's so much to do control-wise that trying to map it out on a keyboard in a way that I can easily bring it all to bear is a pain. :) I like that they have "tutorial" modes for some of the moves, but the problem there is that they always display the original key bindings and don't take remappings into account. I still can't figure out how to do the damn "beat down" move, though I did it once or twice accidentally fumbling around.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

NickAragua wrote:You're a much more patient man than I am. At about the first time DRM starts bullshitting me, I go for the no-CD crack, and, failing that, I download the game via torrent.
If I don't get a resolution by tomorrow, I'll be pursuing that route. Haven't had to since college, so I'm hoping I don't catch a disease as a search through unsavory sites for it.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Jow wrote:Playing this is bringing back all the joy I had playing Arkham Asylum and then some. They do such a phenomenal job at making you feel like Batman.

The only complaint I have is that there's so much to do control-wise that trying to map it out on a keyboard in a way that I can easily bring it all to bear is a pain. :) I like that they have "tutorial" modes for some of the moves, but the problem there is that they always display the original key bindings and don't take remappings into account. I still can't figure out how to do the damn "beat down" move, though I did it once or twice accidentally fumbling around.
You may want to reconsider remapping that middle mouse button if you cant find where you placed it. From about the halfway point onward almost every fight involves an enemy that you need to do the "beat down" move on or enemies that require a similar attack.
Jow

Post by Jow »

ah boy. *sigh* I considered setting everything back to default, writing down all the default mappings, and then setting everything back up, but I'm so tired of the process of rebinding keys in games lately. What I'd like to try first is jumping into a challenge map and fiddling around until I can figure out which key it wants. The tutorial says it's side mouse button followed by left mouse button for 'beat down'.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You actually hold down the first button while clicking the second. You also get a super stun where you click the middle mouse button three times fast and a jump stomp that uses the middle mouse button in a way I can't remember off hand.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im having a little difficulty. The first game gave me no troubles at all. It ran fine. This one though is like Im playing in molasses My movements are slow and a tad twitchy too. I have a top end system and play everything maxed. But this is different. Is there a setting that is not working quiet right that i should tweak?

Also I seem to have no LOOK key like the first game. this one tells me to look but shows a mouse with no key highlighted and it's not in the settings either.

I see a lot of green ? marks and figure like the first game they are Riddler icons but when I got to one it was just an unusable lighted up mark on the wall.

My worst problem though is the slowness of the game. I need to look for a tweaker or something cause it feels a little rushed and unoptimized..
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I only remapped one key, but it did show me the new key in the hints. One weird thing I ran into is that for the 5 button mouse, it shows the 4th and 5th buttons reversed.

Beat down is a cape stun and then just punch them a lot. For me, it is mouse button 4 (side mouse button closest to me) and then LMB repeatedly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I noticed the thumb reverse button. I knew I set it differently. I use thumb one as grapple.

I use middle mouse for cape swipe. Something still feels wrong though compared to the first game. maybe Im just out of practice . I am going to have to tweak my game though before playing. It just runs like crap.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Daehawk wrote:Ya I noticed the thumb reverse button. I knew I set it differently. I use thumb one as grapple.

I use middle mouse for cape swipe. Something still feels wrong though compared to the first game. maybe Im just out of practice . I am going to have to tweak my game though before playing. It just runs like crap.
Did you enable DX11? If so, disable it. That makes performance horrible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes I did. Was so glad to have a DX11 card I wanted to see what it looked like. So DX11 is the problem?..Great. There goes the cool effects. Thanks for the info. ill giver her a go without it.

EDIT: Well great now it wont show me the graphics setting screen and it's not under options. Now I gotta dig around and find it. Also im gonna look for a way to disable those startup movies. I've heard "NVidiaaaaa" too many times over the years.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daehawk wrote:Im having a little difficulty. The first game gave me no troubles at all. It ran fine. This one though is like Im playing in molasses My movements are slow and a tad twitchy too. I have a top end system and play everything maxed. But this is different. Is there a setting that is not working quiet right that i should tweak?

Also I seem to have no LOOK key like the first game. this one tells me to look but shows a mouse with no key highlighted and it's not in the settings either.

I see a lot of green ? marks and figure like the first game they are Riddler icons but when I got to one it was just an unusable lighted up mark on the wall.

My worst problem though is the slowness of the game. I need to look for a tweaker or something cause it feels a little rushed and unoptimized..
You may also have physics enabled. It looks cool but even on my pretty high end system it causes lag so I just turned it off.

As for the green marks there are a couple different types of Riddler challenges this time around. They are actually worth collecting this time around too, one of best quest lines in my opinion. The trophies from the original game are back but you often need to finish a challenge to make them unlock.

If you see multiple round green pressure plates you need to stand on all of them without touching the ground.

Green question marks on surfaces need you to throw a Batarang at the bottom button or place explosive gel on them.

Pink trophies can only be picked up by Cat Woman HOWEVER Cat Woman CAN pick up green ones as-well; something the game never actually tells you.

You can also use grappling hook to grab trophies that are hard to reach.

Lastly, it’s not possible to get all trophies until you unlock certain equipment so don’t kill yourself trying to get one; if it seems impossible it might be!
Last edited by Lordnine on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks again. So I need to batarang it ...doh. I was standing at it trying to USE it lol. Kinda silly.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

Daehawk wrote:Yes I did. Was so glad to have a DX11 card I wanted to see what it looked like. So DX11 is the problem?..Great. There goes the cool effects. Thanks for the info. ill giver her a go without it.
If you bought this through steam, just right click on the title and select "Configure PC Options". If not, then I dunno.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Turned it off. just went to the dir it is in and used the launcher. Runs perfect now. Damn DX11.

WOW! I was not looking forward to playing Catwoman but now that I have I can honestly say I'd like to get behind that...err hehehe. It's fun to just watch her walk. Anyways I think she fights better than Batman and the way she gets around buildings is even cooler too. I'm surprised but glad I am. I no longer dread her. She is damn fun.
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

She is certainly fun, and at first she does feel better in combat than Batman. I think maybe her animations are quicker or something, I'm not really sure why she feels better. However, since she does not get the disarm & destroy skill it makes some of the challenge rooms a bit more challenging.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm enjoying the game, and appreciate them packing more of everything into it, but I do kind of miss starting with nothing but your fists and having to unlock gadgets as you go. The number of starting upgrades you have is almost a little overwhelming. I also think the game loses a lot of narrative focus by going open world.

On the plus side, it does feel like they are giving those who beat the original game a greater challenge. No real hand-holding - they assume you know the basics and let you loose. Having just finished Arkham Asylum for the first time a few weeks ago, it was kind of nice to be able to just jump right in and not have to sit through a bunch of tutorials.

Those damned advanced AR training exercises are giving me fits though. :D
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Amazingly, SecuROM tech support fixed my issue. They had me delete a folder in the Users directory of Windows, and that fixed it. Sweet. Now I just have to decide if I want to finish my replay of Arkham Asylum before starting this one. I'm pretty close to done (finished the Poison Ivy fight), so I might just do that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The thing about these auto save games is I'm never comfortable when I quit to play something else that it's going to save right where I am.

Maybe Im doing it wrong this time but I've found one of those hidden question marks where you line up the dot with it and take a pic. I swear Im lining it up right and Im holding down X to take the pic but it keeps saying no subject or something. Is there another key I should be using to take the pic?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Break time. I'm working on the Riddler's hostages and I'm right at the spot it says a hostage is yet there isn't one there. It even said I had reached the spot. it's a street so there no building or room below me. So now I'm stumped.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:The thing about these auto save games is I'm never comfortable when I quit to play something else that it's going to save right where I am.

Maybe Im doing it wrong this time but I've found one of those hidden question marks where you line up the dot with it and take a pic. I swear Im lining it up right and Im holding down X to take the pic but it keeps saying no subject or something. Is there another key I should be using to take the pic?
If you're getting the no subject message you are hitting the right key. It can be finicky sometimes
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Break time. I'm working on the Riddler's hostages and I'm right at the spot it says a hostage is yet there isn't one there. It even said I had reached the spot. it's a street so there no building or room below me. So now I'm stumped.
I don't remember one in the street. I remember the first one gave me trouble too. I was at the spot and I could see the Riddler's mark on the wall of a building but couldn't see where to go from there. Eventually I either got a message or I just hit the action key when standing in front of the question mark and Batman just smashed through the wall
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like where I am. I tried explosive gel there and nothing. Detective Mode also shows nothing. Ill try to punch it next time. It it's going to be that way i may have a lot of problems lol.