"Throne of Darkness" -- Gah! I bought the wrong ga

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Giles Habibula

"Throne of Darkness" -- Gah! I bought the wrong ga

Post by Giles Habibula »

I was at Big Lots this morning and saw one lone pristine and shrinkwrapped "Throne of Darkness" for $3.99. I remembered reading on the GG forums how everybody loved this game and that it was getting difficult to find, so I quickly snapped it up, feeling triumphant in my finding of treasure.

It wasn't until I got home and was going to put it away that I noticed another box on my bookshelf. "Blade of Darkness". Shit. Not only did I buy the wrong game, but it turns out I already had the one that I thought I was buying.

So...um....How is "Throne of Darkness"?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
B Dog

Post by B Dog »

If I remember correctly, it's a Samurai-themed Diablo-clone. I actually played the demo, thought there was some neat stuff in it (formations, special attacks, good atmosphere), and bought the game.

Got about 5 hours into it and hit the proverbial wall. It became extremely repetitive--in a bad way--and there was really no reason to keeping pushing on.

That said, I probably got 6 total hours of gaming goodness out of it, which makes it definitely worth the $3.99 you paid.
Beergut

Post by Beergut »

A game I tried hard to get into on several occasions and just couldn't.
Made by some former Blizzard employees who worked on the original Diablo (if memory serves...)
rrmorton

Re: "Throne of Darkness" -- Gah! I bought the wron

Post by rrmorton »

Giles Habibula wrote:It wasn't until I got home and was going to put it away that I noticed another box on my bookshelf. "Blade of Darkness". Shit. Not only did I buy the wrong game, but it turns out I already had the one that I thought I was buying.
Wow. That's funny. :D
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I've gotten those two mixed up in the past, don't feel bad :)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

At first, looking at the thread title, I was like, "'Blade of Darkness,' wrong game? Huh?"

So, I just made the same error too.

And plus, for 4 bucks, how can you go wrong? I mean, I'd pick up Mortyr for 4 bucks just to say I had it.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Massena

Post by Massena »

B Dog has the way of it. It's got great atmosphere, good items, good classes, good mixing, lotsa goodness. But there are four castles you need to clear out, and somewhere between the third castle and the four I just found myself asking, "why?" Between each castle you have a LOT of traveling to do. Not fun, see-new-lands, talk-to-interesting-people traveling, but boring kill-another-wave-of-those-bird-guys-again traveling. And it stops being worth the effort.

Still, I think the Japanese theme has a lot left in it wth the pc. Really wish they'd do something good.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Well, especially when you consider that it was the crew that worked on D1, not D2, which is FAR superior, IMO.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Eel Snave wrote: And plus, for 4 bucks, how can you go wrong? I mean, I'd pick up Mortyr for 4 bucks just to say I had it.
Mortyr.
Hell, I was so damn sure that was gonna be a collectors' item, that I paid extra to pre-order and overnight the thing, PLUS I bought a cardboard store display box (huge! - and one of only 500 made!) from somebody on eBay for $15 before the game was released so I could proudly display that huge box in my office!

The display box is broken down and still in the paper he shipped it in up against a wall behind a door. Like new! WOOT

edit: actually, I didn't think the game was that bad. But not that great either. I made it about halfway through before I got bored and finally gave up on it. And it was at least stable.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Odin

Post by Odin »

Eel Snave wrote:I mean, I'd pick up Mortyr for 4 bucks just to say I had it.
Hah!
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

There's a reason why I have a sealed copy of Daikatana. I saw it on sale for something ridiculously cheap (a dollar?) and just bought it so that I could say I had a copy.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

ChrisGwinn wrote:There's a reason why I have a sealed copy of Daikatana. I saw it on sale for something ridiculously cheap (a dollar?) and just bought it so that I could say I had a copy.
Don't feel bad.
I actually opened and played mine for a while.

Mortyr was much better.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

ChrisGwinn wrote:There's a reason why I have a sealed copy of Daikatana. I saw it on sale for something ridiculously cheap (a dollar?) and just bought it so that I could say I had a copy.
I got it for free from someone who had tossed it in the trash.

Yeah I actually grabbed it from a trash pile but figured I may give it a try just to see what was so wrong about it.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Napoleon

Post by Napoleon »

I can remember it being semi-decent, but not worth anywhere near full price. At $4 you can't really go wrong though, I think.

As for the buying something you already own...one of my favorite online dvd retailers is having a sale right now. I had already put Fargo in my shopping basket, and was ready to click to checkout when my eye caught the Fargo DVD standing in my DVD cabinet. Oops :D
Where Cows Congregate - The Bovine Conspiracy