Jedi Academy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SuperHiro

Jedi Academy

Post by SuperHiro »

Well it's been over a year... this still any good?

Multiplayer? Is it fun? Can you use your custom jedi in multiplayer?
Koz

Post by Koz »

Multiplayer is almost identical to Jedi Outcast. The single player is really the same game with some more saber styles and a bunch of missions. A fun game, but if you played Outcast you aren't missing much gameplay-wise.
Massena

Post by Massena »

Less plot than Outcast, better saber combat and force powers. If you can find it cheap it'd be a good deal. I still break it out occaisionaly.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Force Lightning is fun. Get that, and make Stormtroopers feel your wrath.

In other words, pretty much what others have said: not exactly deep, and not innovative over the previous JK games, but it's still entertaining, in a mindless kinda way.

- Ash
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

Asharak wrote:Force Lightning is fun. Get that, and make Stormtroopers feel your wrath.

- Ash
My favorite was the force grip. Just pick them up and sling them off of cliffs or bang them up against the side of the wall. Classic! :lol:
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

MY GOD MAN! A year?!?
What have I done with my life since then?!?
A year?!

Also a year for Nosferatu...
I very vividly remember the forum effect discussions when that game came out. Sure doesn't seem like a year...

JA was okay. Jedi Knight blew me away though. This one didn't...Just didn't have the same....magic or whatever...atmosphere maybe...?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I think we were just used to it after JK2. I mean, JK2 blew me away on so many levels, that more of the same would just seem redundant.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Crux

Post by Crux »

I enjoyed the single player of Academy much more than Outcast. That said, multiplayer is completely screwed up and all the skill has gone out of the game :P Used to be a lot of strategy involved in saber combat but with the dual sabers and saber-staff it is just a click-fest now.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I'm gonna go with aussie. Although JK2:JO was amazing you had to wait till almost halfway through to get fullfledged powers. JA is 'Full Jedi Powers' from the beginning and a very enjoyable SP experience, with some added variations to spice things up.
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

The worst part of Outcast was not having force powers. I almost quit on the level just before getting them; that was was too f'ing hard, and so was the level just after you get them: they are so weak.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Well the force bits were certainly the highlight of Jedi Outcast (made it my GOTY for 2002) but I wonder if I didn't appreciate them more for having to *earn* them through those early levels. :wink: I didn't mind the pre-saber parts although the level with the Rodian snipers was annoying as all get-out.

I will have to snap up Jedi Academy one of these days. If it's got more good Jedi Outcast action and a pounding Star Wars score, what more could you want...?
Jag

Post by Jag »

Definitely worth picking up. It has some of the best lightsaber action yet. Go watch the SW DVDs and see if you can resist the temptation to pick it up. The OO effect is working, it is...
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

Thought it was lots of fun and well done. A worthy addition to my Star Wars collection.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

There's an absolutely fantastic level where you lose your lightsaber, but still have all your force powers, and have to break out of a prison. I almost felt bad for the guards.
Koz

Post by Koz »

I have to say the speeder level is one the coolest, most fun levels I've played in a computer game in quite some time. You basically race through this valley on a speeder, going ridiculously fast. You've got blasters on the speeder, but it's so much more fun to whip out your saber and slice the guys as you fly by them. Make sure you don't miss it if you end up getting the game.
Sniffdude

Post by Sniffdude »

I loved JA - reminded me so much of the earlier SW games, had the same sound, feel, etc. I played it through as a good guy but I'm thinking I'm going to replay it as a bad guy, I had that much fun.

As I've gotten a bit older and have become distracted by other things (like golf), I find I just cannot get into games for hours at a shot, and I don't want to. I've played more than a few games in the last year or so thinking I would get into them and they just fell flat for me. Except JA, which I played incessantly for a while. I just love the SW theme, it works for me.

The speeder level is fun but make sure you don't miss a certain turn when you're running around, or else you'll end up in the area where the bikers spawn wondering how to get out of the level, and about a thousand riderless speeder bikes all parked next to the building you're hiding in/on. Um, don't ask.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Forgot about the speeder level. That was fun, almost like jousting with the saber.