LA Noire PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

LA Noire PC

Post by Daehawk »

Picked this up during the Steam Holiday sale. I own it on Xbox but never play it. I've done the first few missions and became a traffic detective. It looks sharp and is easy to control. Much better in both respects to the 360 version.

I find myself wanting to be a plain old beat cop a while longer. 3 Missions seems rushed...badly rushed. At least 10 missions would be better. heck a whole game as a simple police officer would be great. But I've moved on and here I am in traffic. Getting the hang of the car physics. It grips well and i am getting good at power sliding around corners. If light poles would stop running out in front of me and people on sidewalks would move. Clearly they should not be there and I should ticket them :)

Me and my pard on the way to check a gun at the nearest gun shop.
Enlarge Image

Me giving chase to a baddie.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Re: LA Noire PC

Post by tgb »

Why are your graphics so much better than mine?

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Just be sure to walk around your car before getting in it.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

triggercut wrote:Just be sure to walk around your car before getting in it.
Never get out of the car!
Insert witty comment here.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

tgb wrote:Why are your graphics so much better than mine?
Sadly, it bears a resemblance to those great games only in subject matter. I'm playing through Noire on the 360 now (providing we strip the word "playing" down to its most literal interpretation) and there's very little game to it. It's an adventure with no wrong answers.

I'm thinking I should have bought the Sherlock Holmes game instead.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I just started playing this on PC as well. It does seem rather linear. Not a big fan of the "no matter where you come from you get cutscene predetermined start when you get to the location in your car" effect. How did they end up with that?
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I have it on my PS3 but I don't really like gaming on the couch. I have been conditioned to game in an office chair.

Can the game be played with a keyboard and mouse?????
AKA: Dajjer
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its what Im using. I got it for $12 during the sale :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My latest assignment had me doing one thing when i got involved in a street race. I was after the red suped up Ford. his buddies didn't take kind to that and tried to run me off the road. but they soon got involved in a wreck or two :) In the end i caught him when we both tried to jump a moving train and he didn't make it :)

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One quirk with this game is you push M to open the map but a 2nd push of M does not close the map. To close it you hit esc which takes you to the menu then esc again to get back in game. That is pretty silly . it's also time consuming when you look at the map as much as me when Im driving.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Yeah, not the best UI I've seen. Worse then Skyrim, IMHO.

Also, its somewhat unstable on my rig. Had it crash tonight in the middle of a lengthy case and am guessing I lost a bit of time.

Its also inconsistent on how it handles some things and doesn't give you much feedback. For example, I kept screwing up questioning a witness to the point where she refused to talk to me again. I kept reloading, which made me sit through the whole intro to the case. Later, on the same case, I was suposed to get a confession from the guy I'd nabbed. First time I blew it and get the cutscene of walking out and getting yelled at by the detective. I tried to reload, but it wasn't an option. The guy tells you to go back in and beat a confession out of the guy, but then when you go in it actually resets him so you can start from scratch. Not sure how I'm supposed to know which situations are which.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I got the $12 sale, too. When I first started the game as the patrol cop I was feeling that the game was pure badassery cool. I'm now working a Homocide desk and the rails of the game are pretty clear and I'm not feeling the urge to even play anymore. An open world sandbox city as a patrol cop would be awesome - modern day or any era, actually. LA Noire was fun and worth the $12. Funnny thing is that Steams shows me with 12 hours of game time. A buck an hour is fair, but anything more for this game is a rip off.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I'm fine with a game making me go from A to B, but there needs to be some thing, some game between points A and B. Not just click-any-button-for-any-result-to-continue. Lego Star Wars is more complex than L.A. Noire.

Though I too would love a sandbox game where I could be on patrol. Or a sandbox detective game. Think of the possibilities of downloading new cases periodically (granted, they'd need to load the game with hundreds of cases to keep it interesting). You rise through the ranks, from petty crime to narcotics to homicide. You build your cop (detective) however you like, with a set amount of points. Maybe throw 5 points towards observation, which then means you don't have enough points for paperwork. Or you increase your calming influence stat but unfortunately, you should have thrown more points towards avoiding alcoholism. At the end of twenty game years you go out with a pension and the game finishes like Pirates, with various ratings based on what you've become. Mall Security, Bartender, Celebrity Body Guard, Cable News Pundit, Movie Adviser.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You could also choose your side arm.

I think I had more fun as just the starting beat cop than once i was promoted. I enjoyed getting orders and then working them out on my own. i wasn't responsible for interviews and such. Just chasing and arresting fools. Foiling bank robberies. Im quiet happy as a flatfoot.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

.....and before you start your career as a patrol cop - you start the game in the academy that doubles as a tutorial. At the end of the tutorial (the academy) you get your academy ranking, which determines your starting beat and (for the rpg element) how the NPC cops perceive you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok we should just make this ourselves because no one else is and this sounds cool. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not bein g able to skip cut scenes is really crappy in this day and age.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife has the uncanny ability to only need my assistance at the exact moment a lengthy, important cut scene starts. Drives me INSANE!
tgb

Post by tgb »

YellowKing wrote:
My wife has the uncanny ability to only need my assistance at the exact moment a lengthy, important cut scene starts. Drives me INSANE!
Mine waits until I'm getting a quest in Skyrim. But god forbid I should interrupt her hidden-object Facebook game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I think I'm throwing in the towel with this game and thereby ending a long streak of completing every game I start. I'm not sure what the developer's intent was, but it's lost on me. Things that really bug me include (besides the ones I've mentioned in previous posts)

- Everyone is lying. Even the kid and the woman with no reason to lie. Which is stupid. I suppose because it's the only game-like mechanic that actually exists in the game. And it's a poorly done one at that.
- The chase scenes on foot. You don't need to catch the guy, just keep running until eventually your partner shows up to stop him. This game redefines the term "on rails".
- The lead character. I hate everything about him. I now hate the actor, irrationally, because I hate this character so much. The lines are delivered wrong, the facial expressions are wrong, and he (the character) is just a cock.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I myself have been asking myself why is everyone lying to me...even kids.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I also dont care for the foot chases. It seems scripted to never actually catch them until it wants you to.

But lordy am I AWFUL at reading people in interrogations. The first one I did I hit LIE and she was telling them truth. The only reason I got the next one right was because story wise I knew he committed the murder. But if it comes to normal questioning I NEVER get it right. I think its one of the main reasons Ive given up on this game twice over the years. Heres hoping I do better this go.

i really really wanted to play Mafia 3 more but I cannot bind controls to the way I play so its a total no go from the start.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Awww shat. I f'd up talking to a witness.....of course!....and simply wanted to restart the mission there at the train yard so I click restart mission. It started me all the way back at the police station with full briefing and all. I quit out. Not sure on this one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here's a re two tips for someone who with mild prosopagnosia (face blindness) and a genetic inability to read body language (related to autism) who had a great deal of fun with the game.

Go read an article on lying cues. Here's one - Here's another. Write them down. The game uses these, and often exaggerates them. For people with trouble instinctively reading faces, you have to play the game like a JRPG boss fight. You learn what the boss's openings (cues) look like, wait for them, then pounce.

Second, pay extremely close attention to your evidence. More often than not, there will be questions to which you already know the answers. It's written right there in your handy-dandy notebook. When you ask them a question to which you know an answer and they lie, you can call them on it and they get flustered.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)