If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Peacedog

X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Post by Peacedog »

Sepiche

Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Post by Sepiche »

There's so many ways that could go wrong I'll reserve judgement, but allow me to give a tentative: woot.

Edit: I think the only thing that worries me in that article is this:
Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place
Hopefully the interface won't be too console-ized and the game not too dumbed down.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Interested, of course.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Sepiche wrote:
Firaxis Games' XCOM: Enemy Unknown introduces a wider console audience to what made the storied franchise great in the first place
Hopefully the interface won't be too console-ized and the game not too dumbed down.
From where I am standing, Firaxis have earned the benefit of a doubt. We'll learn more in Feb of course.

X-com's interface is inadequate. IMO, it's possible to clean it up and making it more accessible without losing the complexity involved in the mechanics. Can Firaxis do it? Hope so.

Also. . .
The huge feature in February's Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM's destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Peacedog wrote:X-com's interface is inadequate. IMO, it's possible to clean it up and making it more accessible without losing the complexity involved in the mechanics.
Without doubt, but as a primarily PC gamer nothing makes me cringe more than seeing an otherwise great game with an interface designed for a controller. Not a deal breaker by any means, but something worth considering.

In other news over at Qt3 the guy that wrote the article for GI posted this:
Adam B wrote: You guys are going to freaking love it, if you have the same reaction to the details as I did while I was writing the GI feature. As soon as the cover story actually hits (probably meaning our digital issue launch on the 10th), I'll answer whatever questions I can.

In the meantime, yeah, it's a re-imagining. Same core ideas and gameplay concepts, but not a literal translation of the underlying math or anything.
Edit: Also, apparently this has been in the works since '09 and is due out this fall.
Last edited by Sepiche on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Now this is interesting. Turn-based combat in particular. That Firaxis is making it is no big surprise, but also very nice.
Insert witty comment here.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

A good company to do it.

Now we get two X-COMs in the future, a tactical shooter, and a more classic version.

The Xenonauts guys are probably a bit scared now. They'll have to actually differentiate their product more now.

There have been some good turn based strategy games on the system in the past. Honestly I could see a pretty simple TBS control scheme where you basically use the shoulder buttons to quicky tab between soldiers, then move the left stick to go between tiles.

Although I wonder if they'll go turn based or try something closer to Apocalypse's real-time mode, one of the best real-time tactical modes yet.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Just saw this over the lunch break. I pretty much agree with what's already been said. I'm tentatively excited about this. Plenty of good games from Firaxis with a few disappointments. But hopefully they deliver. Nothing I hate more than a console port situation, but hopefully, that won't be the case here. Looking forward to more info soon. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Take original and add today's graphics tech and physics and there ya go. Why do they always fail at this???
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Turtle wrote:The Xenonauts guys are probably a bit scared now. They'll have to actually differentiate their product more now.
That's exactly what they shouldn't do. The Firaxis version is probably going to change quite a bit from the old formula, so Xenonauts will probably be closer to the original experience, which should be their selling point.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You had me at "turn based".

:pop:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

After so long out in the cold I'm more than willing to drop money on two well done (non-FPS) X-Com re-imaginings in one year. :P
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Now to play the waiting game.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Turtle wrote:The Xenonauts guys are probably a bit scared now.
This was my first thought. Of the poor main dev who quit his day job and pumped his entire life savings into Xenonauts for a one shot roll of the dice. No guts no glory. Then he wakes up today to read about this. The poor bastard.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He must be programming like mad to get it out soon.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

That brings us up to three potential X-COM successors:

1) X-COM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis
2) UFO 2: Shadows over Earth by Chaos Concepts
3) Xenonauts by Goldhawk Interactive

With all of this competition someone must be able to match or exceed the original formula! :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Turtle wrote:A good company to do it.

Now we get two X-COMs in the future, a tactical shooter, and a more classic version.

The Xenonauts guys are probably a bit scared now. They'll have to actually differentiate their product more now.
I actually pre-ordered Xenonauts because I thought a true successor would never materialize. With Firaxis actually doing it I am giddy with anticipation!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Personally, I think a move to the console is not a bad idea. There really weren't that many controls in original XCOM that couldn't be easily done with a modern controller.

The idea of playing XCOM with more polished graphics while sitting in my recliner makes me smile.
JonathanStrange

ColdSteel wrote:
Turtle wrote:The Xenonauts guys are probably a bit scared now.
This was my first thought. Of the poor main dev who quit his day job and pumped his entire life savings into Xenonauts for a one shot roll of the dice. No guts no glory. Then he wakes up today to read about this. The poor bastard.
OTOH, the Firaxis game could generate much more buzz for this type of game/gaming than an indie release. If Xenonauts is a solid design, then it might benefit from "collateral advertising" awareness of a cool alternative version to the Firaxis product.

I see myself buying both if they're good; they could easily have some sufficient distinguishing areas of emphasis that it might be a reasonable choice to have the two.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Having played Xenonauts and watched its development. It's not going to be ready by the time X-COM comes out.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I saw a video with the developers and immediately went and re-purchased the original (and a bundle of others - only $3.74 at gamesgate right now!). Having a blast playing it again - finally a game worthy of hooking my computer up to my new 37" tv. :P
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Some new screens and info:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... known.aspx" target="_blank

That second screenshot that shows a base in particular looks pretty awesome.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The angle of those lines in the ground screenshot seems to show they're using hexes now.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Turtle wrote:seems to show they're using hexes now.
Which should be pretty good until I round a corner and encounter gang of chrysalids.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Shinjin wrote:
Which should be pretty good until I round a corner and encounter gang of chrysalids.
From reading that guy's interview, it doesn't look like they'll have Chrysalids, they'll be following XCOM the first-person shooter, which means they'll have such exciting enemies as "black blob" and "floating geometric shape". Then again, the original wasn't terribly imaginative either: "Snakeman", "Floating Man", "Big Headed Naked Man", "Green Jump Suit Man" and "Emaciated Man in Orange Robe".
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

NickAragua wrote:
Shinjin wrote:
From reading that guy's interview, it doesn't look like they'll have Chrysalids, they'll be following XCOM the first-person shooter, which means they'll have such exciting enemies as "black blob" and "floating geometric shape".
Where are you getting that info from? I don't see any references to enemy types in the interview.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Interview wrote:Wasn't there another XCOM game?
Yes, 2K Marin is developing a previously announced first-person shooter, simply called XCOM. That game was originally scheduled to come out last year, but has since been delayed out of 2011.

How do those games relate to each other?
The shooter takes place earlier in the fiction, chronicling the aliens' first attacks in the United States. The strategy game we're talking about here deals with the global response to the later full-blown alien invasion of Earth.
Since the interviewee says that this is in the same storyline, it's reasonable to conclude that we'll be seeing our buddy the "floating geometric object".
Black Lives Matter
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Shinjin wrote:
From reading that guy's interview, it doesn't look like they'll have Chrysalids, they'll be following XCOM the first-person shooter, which means they'll have such exciting enemies as "black blob" and "floating geometric shape".
Where are you getting that info from? I don't see any references to enemy types in the interview.
There have been some statements that both new games are in the same XCom universe, so that's where the implication that they will share enemy types comes from. Also, the Firaxis guys have used "reimagining" a few times, so this is not like Pirates! or Colonization, which were old games with a new coat of paint and a new game engine.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

NickAragua wrote:
Interview wrote:Wasn't there another XCOM game?
Yes, 2K Marin is developing a previously announced first-person shooter, simply called XCOM. That game was originally scheduled to come out last year, but has since been delayed out of 2011.

How do those games relate to each other?
The shooter takes place earlier in the fiction, chronicling the aliens' first attacks in the United States. The strategy game we're talking about here deals with the global response to the later full-blown alien invasion of Earth.
Since the interviewee says that this is in the same storyline, it's reasonable to conclude that we'll be seeing our buddy the "floating geometric object".
That's quite a stretch. You can bet your ass that the interviewee (is that even a word?) says that these are set in the same setting only because people above him in the hierarchy (the publisher) have told them to create links between the two games to strengthen both in relation to each other. In reality the enemies are probably going to be quite different with some kind of explanation why, as Firaxis is quite aware of the controversy with the other game (even if they might not say so in public). Sure, they'll get rid of some enemies and introduce others, but that's mostly because having us play through the same story from the first game with the same enemies would be quite disappointing for a reimagining.

Let's put it like this: Why do you think the very first screen we saw from this game featured a Sectoid? It's Firaxis making sure we know damn well from the very beginning that they're not trying to upset what we know and love about X-Com. 2k Marin couldn't even be bothered to go that far.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I like the graphics of Xenonauts better. :?

I’ve never been a fan of making realistic graphics in complex strategy games; it just clutters up the display. For this reason I still prefer the older Total War games.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lordnine wrote:I’ve never been a fan of making realistic graphics in complex strategy games; it just clutters up the display.
From the tactical screenshot it doesn't seem like they are going for an overly realistic look... looks fairly cartoony to me.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Quote:
Is this going to be dumbed down for the "wider console audience"?
Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement
The Xenonauts devs just started breathing again. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

ColdSteel wrote:
Quote:
Is this going to be dumbed down for the "wider console audience"?
Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement
The Xenonauts devs just started breathing again. :D
Well, except they are doing the same thing.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I find killer black goo and really alien morphing geometric shapes to be scarier than the enemies in the original. Heck, I'd find them scarier than all the Covenant wannabe's that are in games these days.

It's all in how they're presented.

I mean, back in the 90s, I bet you thought the black goo in X Files was creepy.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What made X-com scary was not the portrayal of the aliens so much as the creepy music and sound f/x, combined with the anxiety of not knowing what type of opponents you were facing at each crash site.

I really hope they can replicate that aural environment.
JonathanStrange

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree. I remember many a late night mission to get some snacks at an isolated Circle K that was eerily similar to an X-Com raid. You never knew if you were going to wind up being mind-controlled and shoot the night clerk or get stopped by a Chryssalid/state trooper on your way back to HQ. Good times.

Books Read 2013
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

The use of sound is pretty important in the more immersive games that I have experienced - Thief, System Shock, many visual novels, and X-COM itself would not have been nearly as interesting. The 1st UFO game by ChaosConcepts attempted to replicate the X-COM experience, but failed due to non-random battlefields and the battlefield largely being silent, which drained a fair bit of tension. There was also something up with the lighting system and fog which didn't work, either.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

New article with new screenshots that look considerably better than the previous ones. Makes me wonder why they just didn't start out with these.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

those screenies look great!
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

Looks like it's gonna be a pretty good game! I don't think it's going to compete much with Xenonauts as they seem to be going in a bit of a different direction. I'll probably get both.