X-Com: Enemy Unknown

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got 10 satellites deployed, will make it 14 if I get to build the satellite nexus. Just got hyperwave decoder started building, expect problems soon. Already got two firestorms build, one with emp, other with plasma, and rest of interceptors are at least armed with laser cannon, if not plasma. Need to capture more UFOs and need more weapon fragments. Actually ran out of stuff to research becasue I ran out of fragments. But at least I got plasma sniper and plasma rifle researched and built.

Suffered my first two casualties. First one, I rushed a downed UFO door wrong. My guy got mind-controlled, but I was able to shoot the sectoid commander dead. However, that left the shooter vulnerable to Mutons that popped up behind him when I was trying to rush in some folks for follow-up shots. And that was the guy from the Slingshot mission too, "Chilong".

In the second case, my interceptor shot down an Abductor class UFO and my guy got shot down. I sent in medic to revive. Right after revive, another Muton hit him with a plasma burst and there's no saving the poor guy this time. This is just a corporal though. Unfortunately, the rest of my crew are mostly squaddies, so bad that I am taking 4 veterans, 1 rookie, and 1 SHIV on my next mission. My squaddies keep panicking. *sigh* Probably should just fire him.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Out of my original squad only 3 had the psi gift, and 3 did not. Had to go through 2 dozen rookies to find 3 with any talent. Managed to get one of them promoted. Guess I'll be saving her some kills.

Constructed 4 sets of psi-armor, but I'll need to make some psi-shields to go with all that.

Did a Terror mission in Brazil, in a military base? It's full of tanks and whatnot, but civilians are everywhere. Actually lost EIGHT civilians, as I'm in the middle of floaters and chrysallids, but I guess I got lucky... not too many were killed or turned into zombies as I managed to corner the aliens instead of finding all the civies.

Did a council mission (find the VIP and save him), and those are pretty easy if you got PSI, as you can just mind-fray them if they just send thin man after you.

Gollop chamber is being built, Sat Nexus is done and 2 out of 4 satellites ready

Just shot down a cargo UFO and captured it after taking out multiple mutons, berserkers, and a few thin men.

I'd imagine when I got Gollop chamber ready and I got my squad trained up it's time to do the big finale mission.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got the Gollop Chamber built, but I don't have a psi-squad to send.

Somehow, Ethereal always managed to mind control one of my squad, either that person's psi-active or not, and will is pretty high, 70's to 80's. I may have to go another month or two and fight some battles to train them up. I found enough rookies to field such a squad, but they're green as grass. When I accidentally killed one of my psi-rookies, I decided to reload a save game instead. I need to bring SHIVs and use them to kill Ethereals. More mindshields, darn it.

I don't have enough mindshields to go around, darn it. And I ran out of things to research as I don't have enough weapon fragments.

EDIT: And I can't find a working savegame editor. The old Toolboks editor doesn't work in Win10 latest patch, even with compat settings.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just survived my most intense combat ever. Ouch.

As I said, I managed to get my psy-rookie killed, and I reloaded the previous savegame. This time, I brought along a SHIV... reguarl SHIV w/ Plasma cannon. It proved to be useful when I assaulted the UFO. Sent the SHIV in first, which, unfortunately, flushed out the muton elite guard AND the ethereal. OH ****! One of my psy guys panicked the elite. The sniper took a shot and the shot got debounced. But the rest of the shots connected, then the SHIV opened up and finally, it's dead. Next turn we blasted the quivering muton and let the rookie got the coup de grace. Finally did get my mind shield, but I can use a couple more.

Took out a havester UFO on a ground assault. I deployed, and I was rushed by practically EVERY bad guy almost immediately. I was going OH ****! I mean, I'm facing like 2 groups of mutons, 1 group of elites, AND a group of heavy floaters... all at the same time! I somehow survived that by panicking the elites, blast the rest. Took a few hits, but everybody survived. Though two ended up in the hospital.

Went after a cargo UFO on another ground assault. Deployed, and I blasted one of the mutons that came out. And MC'ed the other. Then something started going off-script... The Ethereal just went off the side exit and is now outside the ship with its muton guard! Now what? I sent the MC'ed muton off as a scout, but he can't spot the Eth. Darn it! I send three to the outside "balcony" on the cargo ship, and 3 inside. They were supposed to assault into the cargo area, when Eth jumped back into view... First shot by the sniper bounced. Ouch. Then the sniper took a bad hit. THEN additional 3 muton elites showed up. I rushed the other three back, and it became a desperate fight on the balcony. A berserker rushed me, but SHIV and the rookie blasted it, and sniper took out the Eth on the next turn (it did not run). And the others running back was able to meet the attacking mutons when I was able to panic one and blasted another. Third one just went into hiding. Hoping that was most of the fight, I decided to go high/low. Three on top with the ladder, three on ground level. Which is when I found two MORE mutons hiding INSIDE the ship and they blasted a good chunk off the SHIV. Fortunately, I was able to panic one and use sniper to kill both. I was lined up for the next phase when the REALLY bad thing happened... a Sectopod and two drones showed up. OH ****! I have a rookie, a SHIV, and the heavy at ground level, the sniper sitting way back as she's down to 3 HP. Two are on the roof, but no grenades. THEN the muton that hid? He showed up too. WTF! But I toughed it out. Sniper took out one of the drones, but had no angle on the rest. one on the roof cast kinetic shield, the other panic the muton. Rookie got a lucky shot on the drone. So it's basically all about surviving the sectopod. But Sectopod has a mortar in addition to the cannon, and it proceed to blast both folks on the roof, even as I managed to miss shot after shot, yet hit enough to matter. Eventually sectopod went down after eating multiple grenades and plasma hits, and I know 3 guys will need hospital stay afterwards. Finally, with maybe 2 enemies left, I found one scared muton cowering in the cargo area, and another wandering near the outside of the ship. I sent the rookie up to the roof to shoot down at the guy after making sure it was in panic mode, and chased down the other and nailed it with overwatch. Then it's a matter of letting the rookie plink the last muton to death.

This leaves me with TWO psi-effectives, NO SHIV (that was my only one) and I just got hit with a council mission that apparently is about dead people coming alive, but it's classified as "asset recovery". At least I was able to sell off much of the loot and buy another psi-shield, but the Hover SHIV I ordered need a few more days, both snipers are out of commission, and I wonder how long can I blow off a council mission?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Not very long. It's like the other missions, you either do it right then and there or it goes away.

The good part about council missions is that they're trivial in the end game because the opposition isn't scaled to the aliens' overall progress. I had a couple of council missions pop last time I played where I was in powered armor with plasma guns all around and the opfor was a bunch of snake... er... thin men. Great opportunities to give rookies some kills.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It seems I only have 20-30 hours to respond to the mission, not enough for anyone to come back on duty. And I'm near endgame with Gollop Chamber built, but no volunteer designated yet. I'd LOVE to only see thinman... but I seriously doubt my luck is like that. It'd be Floaters and Mutons at least. And I'm not sure who to send. I think I have ONE psi-veteran a couple non-psi veterans, and 2-3 psi-rookies. Darn it.

I have ONE item left to research, and just a few more items in the Foundry. If I can last until end of the month... I'll build a few ghost suits and just do the final battle for the heck of it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Phew, turns out that council mission really *did* only have Thinman in it, lucky me. I have 2 psi-active veterans, 2 non-psi vets (no snipers), and 2 rookies, took them all, and turns out I just need mindfray to get all of them. The trick basically is keep everything in cover, and sweep carefully.

I researched the heck out of everything, but I missed a few foundry stuff as I don't want to wait any more. Assaulting the temple ship wasn't as hard as I thought, but then I was doing it on EASY.

The only time it got a bit dicey was no less than TWO sectopods showed up. Two snipers was able to take down ONE of them, but the other took a big chunk out of the others. Fortunately, next turn it's dead, and we got enough to finish the job.

For the final chamber, it was way too easy. One sniper sitting in the back, one heavy forward with blaster launcher. Others are spread out. The Uber-Eth started blabbing, and the guards teleported in. Okay, no problem. Sniper in the back (who's not psi-active) double-shot the Eth, then the heavy in front fired off the blaster launcher. And that's the endgame.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Speaking of which... Having finish Enemy Unknown (I play, to finish, but I don't do ironman or such), should I play Enemy Within?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 am Speaking of which... Having finish Enemy Unknown (I play, to finish, but I don't do ironman or such), should I play Enemy Within?
Depends on your tolerance for replaying something so soon, but it adds some great new mechanics.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Hell, I'd have probably just started with the expansion included. It integrated seamlessly into the main campaign (mostly into the early-mid game) and gives it some much-needed variety.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I started a new game, and had to verify cache as apparently I had an old install that Steam never refreshed. It runs EU fine, but not EW. After redownloading 200+ MB EW worked.

Just did the "enhanced tutorial", where I did the meld "sole survivor" tutorial, plus meld capture, terror site, and downed UFO. I just got Arc thrower researched and I'm going for captures soon. It's interesting so far, with the minor interface tweaks. Interested to see how the rest of the game stacks up.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You should try to capture one of the uh... new enemy guys... with the arc thrower.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I know, I know. :) First time I deployed arc thrower, I captured an Outsider, which didn't count! :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Captured Thin Man, Sectoid, and Floater. Last time I took down an UFO, the Arc Throwers weren't ready. Now that they're ready, I don't have an UFO to assault! :-P

Got an MEC trooper, and while minigun is fun, it's also a PITA as you can only shoot it twice before you need reload, or just once if you use "Collateral Damage". But then, I found 3 sectoids huddled around a car, which is the perfect time to blast that cover into pieces, taking all the sectoids with it.

I'm putting gene mods on a couple more. I think I'll also convert a few more onto MEC troopers so I can field squads of 3 each.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 am I'm putting gene mods on a couple more. I think I'll also convert a few more onto MEC troopers so I can field squads of 3 each.
Careful deploying too many mec troopers... they're strong, but the later upgrades to the suits are very expensive.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

:naughty:

Must. Tell. Self. No.
Don't. Open. X-Com.
Too. Much. Work. To. Do.

:cry:
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:32 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 am I'm putting gene mods on a couple more. I think I'll also convert a few more onto MEC troopers so I can field squads of 3 each.
Careful deploying too many mec troopers... they're strong, but the later upgrades to the suits are very expensive.
The other thing about mec troopers is that their stats are highly dependent on the starting trooper's stats. So, turning a rookie into a mec you're going to get a mec who can't hit the broad side of a barn, but turn a colonel into a mec, now you're cooking with gas. Of course, you're also losing a colonel so, it's a tradeoff.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

In that case, I think I'll wait. I converted my best guy at the time, but he's only like 3 ranks in, Sergeant, I think. It's early in the game. I'm getting a couple guys gene mods though, like auto-heal and improved sight.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ouch. Had a terror mission, and my squaddie got nailed by a zombie fist. One Punch indeed! Fortunately, that's like the last dead.

EDIT: Had the special mission about investigating a silent fishing village. OMG, that chrysallid surprise was too much. I failed to make the deadline, probably stayed back too far to make it to the evac zone. Lost all five, my best squad. RELOAD!
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I turn a heavy into a mec asap. They're not the best later on, but rule in early to mid game! If possible, try to get one with better than average aim though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I spread my gene mod and MEC out too much... I ran out of MELD. And I captured all except one container of MELD.

Just got my first EXALT mission, and finished it. While killing EXALT is not part of objective, it's good for the rookies, right? Seems you can send the gene mod folks undercover. Zapped EXALT with arc thrower, he killed himself. Special achievement!

I did build a second MEC trooper, but I don't have enough MELD to get her 2nd tier upgrade.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just enjoyed my first "repel invaders" at the base. Man, that was a load of fun, esp. when they threw in multiple mechtoids AND cyberdiscs and come at you from all directions. And I don't have ANY of my snipers! (Apparently they're stuck in a different part of the base) Who'd knew that you're supposed to outfit everybody with better weapons too, huh? Lost like 4 rookies and a major, but I probably got off easy as I killed 22 aliens, with like 6-8 of them heavies (mechtoids and cyberdiscs). I basically use rookies to rain grenades from up above as they can't hit anything anyway.

OTOH, I finally got enough meld to get my 2nd MEC trooper to Tier 2, and may have just unlocked Tier 3 after researching Mechtoids, but I'm out of MELD again to actually do the Tier 3 upgrade. Hahaha. I also need to save up some MELD to give my gene troopers further upgrades.

Did a couple more covert ops and those weren't that hard, actually, just kinda tedious. Accused the wrong country so it's reload savegame time. :)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I found that those enemy within guys start out being a challenge but then once you get to tier 2 and tier 3 equipment, they're basically pushovers. Which is a shame, I'd rather have seen something that adds a little more challenge to the end game than something to make the already difficult beginning of the game more difficult.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

MEC troopers are powerful in early and mid-game, but since you can't give them mind-shields and psi-armor, they are worthless when Ethereals and sectoid commanders are on every ship and you're under constant psi-attack.

Raided the Overseer UFO, and it basically went down exactly as expected. Lined up everybody at the door for breach. Nailed one Muton Elite, then the Ethereal MC'ed my most senior guy the MEC Trooper colonel. F***. Fortunately, I have enough men lined up outside that I was able to kill the Ethereal that turn (but it was CLOSE, as I had to run snipers and everybody inside, no cover, just to get a shot off), so the MC'ed MEC trooper had no chance to inflict any fratricide damage. And that caused the surviving Muton Elite to run into a corner, then back out. I killed it next turn and that's that.

I got enough MELD accumulated after multiple missions to add 3rd tier weapon to my senior MEC trooper, but I'm started to regret it. That's 100 MELD I could have used on gene mods, but I guess I need MEC trooper to counter the Mechtoids, esp. if they get psi-shields. On the other hand, sending a MEC trooper with flamethrower to cook sectoids and EXALT troops is fun. :)

I am down to only a few countries left as possible EXALT base. AND I just retrieved Annette in that special dam mission. That was certainly interesting.

I ran out of weapon fragments that I can't research the good plasma weapons. Darn it. At least I got plasma pistol, rifle, and heavy researched. I need plasma sniper ASAP.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Had to hold off the Gollop Chamber as I needed to build up all the weapons. I got 4 psi folks now, including Annette. I may be able to field a 5th one as I just found a rookie who's psi-active. I have one MEC-3 and one MEC-2. I used my meld on the gene upgrades instead, as 3 of my folks have all 5 upgrades. Though some of the abilities weren't quite as useful as I thought. :) The one about jumping to high places? Not useful in UFOs or alien ships except the cargo hauler.

Took out EXALT HQ after pinpointing the country. That's like 7 or 8 covert missions. It wasn't that hard, just a bit tedious as those EXALT guys with laser weapons can hurt you... a bit. Fortunately, I'm all plasma now.

I thought I'm all researched up but the achievement didn't kick in.

I haven't encountered Sectopods except for ONE in a cargo ship. I need another wreckage for advanced construction or something.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I just ran into a bug, or at least I think it's a bug.

I'm assaulting the temple ship with 1 MEC, 3 PSI in psi-armor, and 2 snipers in archangel amror.

I fought my way through the ship so far, and I've just gotten past the 2 sectopods. They took a good chunk out of my MEC trooper (he's down to 8 HP) but they are toast. Several of my guys have taken hits (one of my snipers is down to 3HP) but everybody's alive so far.

Walked up to the bridge, and there's this 1 space wide chokepoint.

Except it's "closed". I walk up to it, and there's nowhere to go from there.

I thought I need to put the Volunteer first, but that didn't help.

WTF?!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I had this happen once, and I think it was an issue with Mind Controlling one of the Muton Elites in there. That whole last mission is a sequence of scripted events, and it's possible to break scripting with Mind Control (an enemy doesn't die or doesn't spawn as scripted).

If any enemy is left alive, the door won't open. If you've got one under control, you could try killing it with grenades/rift?

If you're on Ironman ... :grund:

If you're not, reload?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 am I thought I'm all researched up but the achievement didn't kick in.
I have finished this game probably 8 times now, and I still don't have that achievement. I'm not sure about this, but the only thing I can think of is you have to capture every type of alien and research them all in one game. Never bothered to go online and see if that's true or not.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 am I had this happen once, and I think it was an issue with Mind Controlling one of the Muton Elites in there. That whole last mission is a sequence of scripted events, and it's possible to break scripting with Mind Control (an enemy doesn't die or doesn't spawn as scripted).

If any enemy is left alive, the door won't open. If you've got one under control, you could try killing it with grenades/rift?
I didn't MC any one, but I did cast panic on several so I have time to deal with the rest. it's possible they ran off to somewhere I can't find them but I doubt it. *sigh*
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Found the "problem". I went down one 'side' of the map and the enemy (a floater) was kinda alone on the other "side". ARGH!

For the finale, I sent in ONE sniper with Archangel armor, and a sacrificial scout (he'll get MC'ed, but before he does, he'll give squadsight to the sniper). Two shots, and it's all over.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Sometimes, it just takes a couple of flushes. </poop joke>

But yeah, in that last chamber, I've found it a lot easier to just pop that Ethereal from long range with snipers than to try to fight it out with all his Muton buddies. I guess it says something about how much I've played this game that I've got a go-to strategy for the final boss.
Black Lives Matter