Eador: Master of the Broken World (new 4X fantasy TBS)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Eador: Master of the Broken World (new 4X fantasy TBS)

Post by ColdSteel »

The Genesis version should work fine. It's really the best version. I love the Genesis version graphics and music too.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote:Thought I'd get back to this after all of these years and wow. It's completely unplayable. What a buggy mess. I think I'm going to go back to Genesis' GOG version and see if it's any better.
Is this the latest version (Eador: Imperium), or still MotBW?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Freyland wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Thought I'd get back to this after all of these years and wow. It's completely unplayable. What a buggy mess. I think I'm going to go back to Genesis' GOG version and see if it's any better.
Is this the latest version (Eador: Imperium), or still MotBW?
I never bought Imperium and there is no way I will with MotBW in the shape it is in, especially after reading the reviews. What is sad, is that when I played Genesis originally, I did not even think about the graphics and UI but now that I've played with MofBW, I don't want to go back.

Still, I'm back on Genesis for now because it's scratching an itch.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Allegedly, they changed developer teams for Imperium and people are much happier. I think the Steam reviews are in the 80's presently. I have it, haven't had time to play with it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Really? What kind of bugs? I'm still working my way through the campaign. Every so often I fire it up and play through another shard. But I don't recall ever experiencing any bugs.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Freyland wrote:Allegedly, they changed developer teams for Imperium and people are much happier. I think the Steam reviews are in the 80's presently. I have it, haven't had time to play with it.
I await your review. :D
TheMix wrote:Really? What kind of bugs? I'm still working my way through the campaign. Every so often I fire it up and play through another shard. But I don't recall ever experiencing any bugs.

Access violation and out of memory errors.

Genesis feels much better than MotBW, so I'm kinda glad I reverted, even if the UI is way worse.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I like Imperium way better than both the previous Eadors. The UI is now very intuitive and toggling the terrain off is an excellent tactical option.
Like its predecessors, Imperium is a difficult game, but I'm gonna keep at it until I can win the tutorial. :grund:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dave Allen wrote:I like Imperium way better than both the previous Eadors. The UI is now very intuitive and toggling the terrain off is an excellent tactical option.
Like its predecessors, Imperium is a difficult game, but I'm gonna keep at it until I can win the tutorial. :grund:
I'm not sure how cheap Imperium will have to be after my experience with MotBW.

Now that I've settled back in to Genesis, I think I will like it better, though it's much harder. Things are spelled out for you pretty well in MotBW, whereas in Genesis, you have to know or feel much better. I like that it makes me more cautious, only my memory for what is challenge is not is not so good and I've trusted my heroes zealous judgement too much already. To the point I lost a shard. I debated starting over but the game takes too long to reset over a lost shard.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

LordMortis wrote: ...and I've trusted my heroes zealous judgement too much already. To the point I lost a shard. I debated starting over but the game takes too long to reset over a lost shard.
Yeah, I resorted to occasionally saving files outside of Genesis - especially at those "full steam ahead" junctures. :horse:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well, I can't fault you for moving on with errors like those.

I don't recall a single bug or error. At least definitely nothing like those. That's a bummer.

I just knocked out a couple of Warlock games. Maybe it's time to fire up another MotBW game.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jag

Post by Jag »

ColdSteel wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 am The Genesis version should work fine. It's really the best version. I love the Genesis version graphics and music too.
Genesis is currently .59 cents on Steam.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I need an @chaosraven tag so he sees this.

I am really enjoying Genesis again. Maybe this time I'll complete it. I think I got about 15 shards or more into the game last time. This time I'm on like Shard 5 so far and I wish I had more time to play.\

Maybe when Imperium comes down in price, I'll give it a try but MotBW really rubbed me the wrong way.

... Imperium is $8 as well. That's tempting....
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Still poking along on this in my free time. Still really enjoy it.

I just discovered there a huge mod for Genesis called New Horizons. I don't know how good it is and I'm wondering if I want to finish a campaign, even on basic, before playing a huge mod. The mod goes gonzo, taking troops leveling from 1 to 30 to 1 to 100 and allows for class upgrades and all kinds of things. I'm curious, but again, just playing Genesis is such a massive undertaking for someone who works full time, where I might play a shard a week and I've yet to figure out how many shards will see me with a full build much a victory in game.

I'm currently 11 shards in on beginner and the game has taken nearly 100% of my video gaming time since early October or possibly late September.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I wonder if this thread is why I'm seeing Steam friends purchasing the game in my Steam activity thread lately?
LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:39 pm I'm curious, but again, just playing Genesis is such a massive undertaking for someone who works full time, where I might play a shard a week and I've yet to figure out how many shards will see me with a full build much a victory in game.

I'm currently 11 shards in on beginner and the game has taken nearly 100% of my video gaming time since early October or possibly late September.
This was what stopped me when I started playing Masters of the Broken World a few years ago. I tend to play games slowly, but even with that in mind I'm fine with really long games that might take 100 hours or so. But Eador seemed to be in a league of its own. I remember doing some math after playing for a few hours to get an idea on how long it might take me to finish the game and the result was frightening. Although I was enjoying it, I wasn't something that I wanted to put that much time into.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Coincidentally, as much as I have been enjoying the game, I'm about 13 or 14 shards in and my focus has wandered and my urge to play has dropped. I've set it aside but hope to get back to it. I may try to play a single scenario where I can see the entire build. We'll see.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Some brilliant son-of-a-gun has put out a mod (read unofficial patch) for this game.

I'm four shards into the campaign and consider this an extraordinary game for a couple of reasons:
The strategy layer has a huge, variable tech tree that will evolve over the 100+ hour campaign.
The tactical layer HAS NO RNG. :o

If you like TB at all, it should hurt you to ignore this game now.

MOD NOTES > > > >

Changes to hero classes:
• Recruiting a hero class you have already is only twice as expensive, down from 10x.
• Combined hero classes can learn skills of both classes up to Mastery Level 5 after reaching level 20.

Pure Warrior
• Berserker gains Round Attack (Stamina Cost: 7).
• Chieftain gains Battlecry ability — Neighboring ally units gain +1 speed until the end of turn and up to 6 morale. Neighboring enemy units lose 2 morale. Does not expend turn but is deactivated until next melee attack.

Warrior / Scout
• Slayer gains the skills First Strike and Slayer (30) — Has 30% more attack against heroes and rank 4 units. 15% more against rank 3 units.
• Master Slayer gains Precise Shot (3) and Slayer (60).

Warrior / Commander
• Holy Knight gains 1 Resistance, Regeneration (1), Aura of Healing (2), Aura of Resistance (2) and Smite Evil value is now 2. In addition, he gains Faithful (3) — 3 extra Resistance against Sacred spells and they benefit from 3 extra spell power, duration and summoning power.
• Champion gains 2 Resistance, Regeneration (2), Aura of Healing (4), Aura of Resistance (3) and Smite Evil value is now 4.
Warrior / Wizard
• Dark Knight Soul Steal value is now 5, and he gains Madness (3) — 3 extra resistance against Chaos spells and they benefit from 3 extra spell power, duration and summoning power. In addition, every mortal unit in his army start battles with Dark Pact binding them — A demon of the same rank is summoned in their place when they die.
• Death Knight gains Master of the Undead — Units slain by him (excluding spells) are raised as undead. In addition, he gains Undead Summoning Power (8) — Raised undead are 8 levels higher.

Pure Scout
• Sharpshooter gains Precise Shot (5) and has its stamina cost reduction of Double Shot removed.

Scout / Warrior
• Adventurer gains 30% more experience and gains the skill Adventurous (15) — Morale lifted when clearing province locations. Can spread to other units in the army and reduces upkeep with mercenaries.
• Mercenary speed bonus reduced to 1 and he gains Agility — Enemies can't counterattack against him.

Scout / Commander
• Ringleader can plunder provinces after conquering them without spending an additional turn, and gains Infamous (1) — Reduces the morale of enemy defenders and lifts the morale of allied evil units when attacking provinces. Infamy increases by plundering provinces.
• Raider grants all units in the army +1 speed.

Scout / Wizard
• Ranger gains 3x random Terrain Knowledge (8), Stealth ability and grants temporary Stealth to all army units at the start of a battle unless he has lower initiative and is the defending party — The temporary Stealth wears off from all units without Stealth ability when they move on the battlefield.
• Ranger and Pathfinder province exploration bonus increased 15. Ranger gains Spiritual (2) and Pathfinder gains Spiritual (4) — Extra resistance against Elemental spells and they benefit from extra spell power, duration and summoning power.
• Sabotage bonus (which Ranger and Pathfinder have) is twice as effective with False Alarm and Raise Panic.

Pure Commander
• General and Marshal have their attack and counter-attack bonus removed.
• General gains Authority (50) — Medal upkeep cost of the army units is reduced by 50%.
• Units under Marshal gain 25% more experience.
Commander / Warrior
• Warlord gains Parry (2) and Battlecry ability — Neighboring ally units gain +1 speed until the end of turn and up to 6 morale. Neighboring enemy units lose 2 morale. Does not expend turn but is deactivated until next melee attack.
• Warlord grants 3 Attack and 2 Counter-Attack to all units in the army instead of 1 Defence/Ranged Defence.
• Battlemaster gains Parry (4) and grants Recuperation (2) and 2 Defence and Ranged Defence to all units in the army, and has its regeneration bonus removed.

Commander / Scout
• Tactician and Strategist ranged attack bonus for units removed.
• Tactician gains Volley ability — All ranged units fire simultaneously at a 7-hex area damaging all units within and gaining bonuses depending on how many units are in the area and how many shots are fired.
• Strategist gains +15 Siege and grants +1 Ammo to all units that use any type of ammo, excluding summoned units.

Commander / Wizard
• Priest bestows Smite Evil (1) on non-evil units and Regeneration (1) upon living units in the army, and gains Faithful (2) — 2 extra Resistance against Sacred spells and they benefit from 2 extra spell power, duration and summoning power.
• High Priest gains Faithful (4) and bestows Regeneration (2) upon living units in the army.
Pure Wizard
• When recruiting a new wizard he gains random spell school expertise — 1 extra resistance against spells from that school and they benefit from 1 extra spell power, duration and summoning power.
• Mage gains three randomly distributed spell school expertise points.
• Archmage's second cast gem cost is multiplied by the spell level of the first cast. Furthermore, the combined levels of both spells cannot exceed 6.

Wizard / Warrior
• Battlemage gains Spell Imbuement ability — Can imbue melee weapon and armor of himself and allied units with spells that are unleashed every time the unit attacks or takes damage until the spell is worn out.

Wizard / Scout
• Necromancer reduces undead upkeep cost by 1 gem per unit rank, heals undead 10% per turn outside combat and gains Magic Shot. In addition, he gains Occultism (2) — 2 extra resistance against Necromancy spells and they benefit from 2 extra spell power, duration and summoning power.
• Master Necromancer reduces undead upkeep cost by 2 gems per unit rank, heals undead 20% per turn outside combat, gains Occultism (4) and inflicts Disease on melee and ranged attack.
• Spell cost reduction removed from Necromancer and Master Necromancer.

Wizard / Commander
• Enchanter gains the skill Group Enchanter — Enchantment spells are cast on 7-hex area where the perimeter targets get half the duration of the spell. Gem cost is increased based on the number of targets.
• Enchanter's spell duration bonus reduced to 2 and Master Enchanter's spell duration bonus reduced to 4.

Skill changes:
• Precise Strike no longer affects Round Attack.
• Round Attack now requires full movement points.
• Precise Shot no longer affects Double Shot.
• Double Shot has its range reduced by 2.
• Master of the Undead now raises slain rank 3 and 4 units as Ghouls instead of Skeletons.
• Stealth mode no longer depletes 5 Stamina at the start of every turn.
• Attacks and spells ignore the respective enemy defence/resistance by 3 when done from stealth mode.
• Stealth is revealed and cannot be reactivated if there are enemies in neigbouring hex cells at the start of turn.
• AI seeks stealthed units only if there are no visible units present on the battlefield.
• Marauder now takes a fixed amount of looting gold and no gems.
• Web (Giant Spider skill) duration now depends entirely on the target's attack, stamina and morale. Furthermore, Web now exhausts 1 stamina every turn and no longer grants extra defense.
• Entanglement (Centaur Huntsman skill) no longer works on units with Entanglement Immunity and its duration is reduced on units with over 20 attack or 50 hit points.

Hero perk changes:
• Combat (Warrior) no longer grants Round Attack and instead gives +2 Parry at level 5.
• Constitution (Warrior) grants 1 more Hit Point at level 1, 2 and 4. In addition, 1 more Stamina at level 2 and 1 less Stamina at level 5. Furthermore, 1 extra Regeneration at level 5.
• Willpower (Warrior) grants 1 more Morale every level.
• Scouting (Scout) now grants +10 Province Exploration at every level. Scouting cost reduced to 10 gold. Poison water supplies default poison strength is now 2 damage per turn for 3 turns.
• Diplomacy (Scout) now grants +20% reward bonus at every level.
• Discipline (Commander) grants 1 more Hit Point at level 2.
• Concentration (Wizard) grants 1 more First Aid at level 3 and 5.
• Necromancy (Wizard) undead summoning power bonus at level 5 reduced to 1.

• Ballista gains Tireless and its Range is increased to 6.
• Catapult gains Tireless and its Range is increased to 7.
• Skeletons are unaffected by armor-piercing shots.
• Ghost now has 100 Defence and Ranged Defence making it actually immune to physical attacks.
• Vampire gem upkeep increased to 20.

• Web spell's duration now depends on the target's resistance, attack, stamina and morale. Furthermore, Web now exhausts 1 stamina every turn and no longer grants extra defense.
• Information about the magnitude of non-damage non-duration spells is now given when hovering over the spell target.
• Area spell highlighting now differentiates between empty space, immune targets and potential targets.

Other changes:
• Resurrecting heroes is 30% cheaper.
• Mercenaries are now only 50% more expensive, don't require extra resources and their price is unaffected by stronghold buildings.

Bug fixes:
• Guards will now resurrect over time at a maximum rate of one unit per turn per squad.
The chance to resurrect is the inverse of current HP% of the squad + 10% (e.g. 20% hp squad has 90% chance to resurrect a unit while 70% HP squad has 40% chance and so on.)
If the guard squad consists of different ranks of units lower ranks have a higher chance of resurrection.
• Swiftness ability no more allows casting spells after attacking.
• Battlecry now correctly depletes stamina.
• Foreign Quarter building descriptions corrected.
• Medal of Resilience description corrected.
Report any bugs, although for people who experience invalid access errors, the root cause is somewhere in the game engine so on script level which all these changes are, there is little do about that. It's been said that it's more prevalent for computers with an Nvidia graphics card.
Also, this mod was created and tested for latest Steam version with Allied Forced DLC. How it behaves with other versions is unknown to me.

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:23 pm If you like TB at all, it should hurt you to ignore this game now.
So... are you recommending the game in its current state or only with the addition of the mod?
-mf
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Granted I only skimmed, but can this be applied to an existing game? I'm ~15 shards into a campaign. But I probably need to take a break from Deity Empires after my current game. This might scratch the itch.

Black Lives Matter

Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:48 am So... are you recommending the game in its current state or only with the addition of the mod?
Since it fixes broken bits I would urge use of the patch.
TheMix wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:04 pm Granted I only skimmed, but can this be applied to an existing game?
Yes. He says you can apply it to your current campaign.

I'm really interested in how karma affects the inter-shard strategy of the campaign as it accumulates from one shard to the next. There are supposedly 12 different endings, and there are like 16 karmic levels.

TheMix, have you been making event decisions and hiring troops in a shard to reflect a good or evil campaign direction?
I've tried to be as kind, protective and generous as possible to my provinces, and not use any evil mercenaries (in taverns,etc.), or the evil portion of the spell-building tree, or any rituals that increase negative karma.
Last edited by Dave Allen on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is only $4 on Steam right now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Dave Allen wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:16 pm TheMix, have you been making event decisions and hiring troops in a shard to reflect a good or evil campaign direction?
I've tried to be as kind, protective and generous as possible to my provinces, and not use any evil mercenaries (in taverns,etc.), or the evil portion of the spell-building tree, or any rituals that increase negative karma.
I tried using evil units once or twice... I think. But I don't like them. I don't believe I ever went truly evil on a shard. These days my goal is to find a place to purchase mercs and then grab some neutral units. The lizard folk are extremely powerful early on.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm getting the every five year itch to start and not finish Genesis again. I reset my last attempt last night because I had not idea what picking up from 2017 would do when I barely remember the game.

I might finish a game of this before I die.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I keep eyeing this. I've needed something turn based to play during slow times while I'm working. Oddly enough, VR games don't really work well for that.

I actually am still running through the campaign. I'm pretty sure there are buildings and units that I haven't seen yet since I haven't "unlocked" them.

I should fire it up again.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Played for far too much of the weekend and I now I remember clearly how slow the game is and how slow I am at playing it. After far too much time, I finished two tiny shards barely scratching the surface of the campaign and not even meeting another astral (master?). If I spend a lot of time playing, I might tackle one shard a week once I get past the first few introductory shard. My memory is the game starts to get very strategic and tactical about the time I open up Pegasus, which makes the Commander more viable than the Scout and in competition with the Warrior.

Still, I do like the game. It really was the spiritual successor to HoMMIII and I haven't seen the next in line. Maybe one day I'll break down and get Imperium to see if it adds anything. I also see the dev is working on another iteration.

The last time I picked this up, I tried a fan mod that had bunches of new units and changed the leveling system from 1-30 to 1-100. I found it to be just too much. More more more did no equal better.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I thought you only did sandbox?

But, yeah, the campaign is wicked slow.

I started a new game. I haven't played in like a year and half. Last night I restarted the shard. Apparently I've gotten rusty.

I find all the heroes have strengths. I can never decide which one is best. I'm trying a commander this time. I think that commanders fair against opponent heroes best. But I love a full scout for killing dragons. And a fully leveled warrior is absolutely brutal. He can solo most fights. High level wizards with the top tier spells are absolutely brutal. I think I'm going to try and get the commander going first this time. Then grab a scout for exploration. Hopefully later I'll be able to get a wizard leveled for late game destruction.

Have you tried dual-classing? I never found it worth it.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I only play the campaign. I've never done the sandbox. I think a majority of the fun for me is deciding how you will reward your self and choose how to advance the game in the Astral level. That third layer to the game is what really make it "grand" strategy for me.

A also am, ummm.... Rusty... but I'm getting better and the time to be rusty is relearning the game on the first three shards... so far.

I use my warrior for killing dragons so far. I've not got my scout in to a strong enough position yet.

I'm still on first level spells, so my wizard is only for exploring and 1st level troop killing.

I don't remember what I used to do, but right now I prioritize early game with getting all four heroes. I start with the Warrior and the missile spells to try and get him to level 10 or 12 with the first level plate stuff to start soloing fairly quickly. I also tend to get the Scout on turn 1 to go exploration mode. I can get the commander fairly quickly to also start exploring. Then I hold off on non cash building upgrades until I can get the wizard... also exploring. When I can warrant it, I tend to get the commander combat ready before they scout. I find I am better fighting mobs with him than I am with the scout and that I've been working on maxing the scouts scouting ability rather than its fighting.

I always think about mixing classes but then I don't do it because I like the level 10 single class bonus and I like concentrating skills. I really should expand my style of play.... One day...
I think that commanders fair against opponent heroes best.
This is also my experience and why I tend to level them up second. I think of the Warrior as my cash and settlement generating machine and he does it solo so there is no troop replacement cost, so I prioritize him first.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I still haven't grabbed the 4th hero in my current game. I'm not actually sold that it's worth it. Usually by the time I get the 4th one, it's hard to find sufficiently easy mobs to level with. And by that time I'm often at war. So I have less time to explore.

If you can get a good weapon, a Scout can take a dragon out in 1-2 turns with double-shot. Sadly, I'm still waiting on a sufficiently good weapon before trying that.

I was just reading about soloing with the Warrior. I never tried it before. My current Warrior has a weapon now with soul-steal(5). And over 100hp. He's still got a couple healers in toe, but I think he's at the stage of being able to solo. I just need to figure out what he can and can't handle. And probably get his spell resistance up a bit.

But my Commander is handling most of my combat with enemy heroes. I've taken out 2 of his heroes and am about to tackle his main (also a Commander). I figure if I take him down, then I have this shard in the bag.

One thing that I've started doing is making an end save right before winning. Then I wait and see what happens on the Astral level. I've been burned a couple of times by having an enemy attack my shard. I've found that going back and spending resources to port one of my heroes makes all the difference. I'm actually thinking of doing that this time and going after the shard of one of the evil gods (the prick I'm currently fighting looks like a likely target).

Black Lives Matter

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I played this a lot years ago (maybe genesis? That was different right?) and enjoyed it. Tried it again within the last year or so and bounced off it (though it might have been Imperium).

Because of the thread bump and discussion - I re-installed and am having lots of fun with it. Raced through the tutorial and I vaguely feel like that's where I got bogged down last time and lost interest, so that's a good sign. I think speeding up the combat speed helped a lot, as it was soooo slow last time I tried (and didn't know how or that I could bump up the speed).

Starting with a scout, as I generally enjoy that. We'll see how many shards I get through this time around. I think I only took out 3-5 shards on my first run.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One thing that keeps biting me... The last game I would have to double-click to attack. I keep doing that now and find instead that I've committed 2 units to attack the target (if they can - it mostly impacts my ranged units). :D

I gotta work on unlearning that.

Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I am unclear if you guys are playing Genesis or Imperium.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Pretty sure neither. Masters of the Broken World. But I was also about to ask why not Imperium.
I have but one advocate.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Correct. Masters of the Broken World.

As for "why", because it's the one that I have. :) It never made sense to pick up Imperium when I still haven't beaten MotBW.

Black Lives Matter

JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Some strategy games are like that for me and some are not. It depends on whether I see it more as a story or as a set of rules in a setting. If it's a story, I start with the earlier game. If it's just an update to the same approach, I jump to the latest.
I have but one advocate.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:07 pm I am unclear if you guys are playing Genesis or Imperium.
I'm playing Master of the Broken World on Steam, which is apparently the same (or mostly the same?) as Eador Genesis. I have Genesis on GOG, and I have Imperium on Steam, but I have neither installed. Freyland - do you have a preference?

So I started with a scout hero on my first shard, and starting building/exploring. I quickly ran into gold issues and was running a double-digit deficit for about a half dozen turns. It took awhile for me to start making a profit each turn, mainly from conquering the territories surrounding my castle. Any advice on how to make more gold? (I've already built the pottery/inn/etc.)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

JetFred wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:37 pm Some strategy games are like that for me and some are not. It depends on whether I see it more as a story or as a set of rules in a setting. If it's a story, I start with the earlier game. If it's just an update to the same approach, I jump to the latest.
That's true if I'm debating which one to pick up. But in this case I bought MotBW when Imperium was still a twinkle in the developer's eye. And I never saw a reason to stop playing the current game in order to jump to the new one.

I also just did a quick search online, and it confirmed my vague memory - Imperium brings a few new things to the table, but yanked the epic campaign/story. Since I'm in the middle of the campaign, it hasn't made sense to switch. Now, if someday down the road I finish the campaign, then I will be more likely to buy Imperium than to replay MotBW.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Sadly, I don't have any advice about making gold. Taking provinces will get you small bumps in the constant stream, but fighting battles is where the big bucks are. Especially in the 3rd tier provinces. Of course, it takes a ton of gold to be able to field an army capable of winning those fights. And losing units can be extremely costly. (As a side note, if you can ally with the lizardmen, they have super cheap base units that upgrade. And the price doesn't go up as you buy more of them.)

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:07 pm I am unclear if you guys are playing Genesis or Imperium.
I am playing Genesis. I own MoBW but I found that it didn't add anything but bugs for my play through. I never bought Imperium. As I understand it Imperium is not Grand Strategy, ie no Astral level with a long term decision on how to advance the game. I also see there is a new game in the works. Depending on what it adds, I may move forward but Genesis is still a great game for my money/expereince. Only the Grand strategy part is so grand that I've never finished it. I think my longest play through might have been 13 shards (rounds... advancements) and that happens over months of play. I have read you can finish in about 20 rounds or you could go as many as 90 before the game ends whether you end it or not.
Baroquen wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm So I started with a scout hero on my first shard, and starting building/exploring. I quickly ran into gold issues and was running a double-digit deficit for about a half dozen turns. It took awhile for me to start making a profit each turn, mainly from conquering the territories surrounding my castle. Any advice on how to make more gold? (I've already built the pottery/inn/etc.)
For me that is part of the fun. You are either blitzing with so much power that you generate cash or you are collecting income and exploring to make room for growth. You can also plunder your own land but I play for good karma.

I'm not yet to the point in the campaign where I have to worry income. I'm still on tier 1 troops excluding mercenaries but I remember the balancing act. My memory was that early in a shard I'd blitz for money, allowing me better troops and city build and then settling in to explore before my need to blitz became unsustainable. Ask me again in a few weeks, when I'm trying to build my Commander full of Elf allies, monks, and Pegasus. Or maybe a few months... Looks like I've been playing for six days (one weekend) and I'm still on the 3rd shard and don't really have plan for moving forward, other than laying ground work for you concerns. I've picked up pub upgrade.

Oh, I almost forgot. Not only does population growth affect income, but so does morale. Content/Happy population are productive population.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:54 pm I also just did a quick search online, and it confirmed my vague memory - Imperium brings a few new things to the table, but yanked the epic campaign/story. Since I'm in the middle of the campaign, it hasn't made sense to switch. Now, if someday down the road I finish the campaign, then I will be more likely to buy Imperium than to replay MotBW.
That makes sense, so much so that I'm switching back to MotBW before I get into it.
I have but one advocate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Two weekends in and I'm already at my 5th shard. Part of that is is because I rushed the 3rd shard when the beginning Lord opened up a whole with no defense, so I took him out on turn 23. That rush only netted 21 Glory. Of course, I have no idea what Glory will eventually be used for, if anything and yet still I try to efficiently drain each shard to get a good glory score.

My vague memory is Pegasus early is a good thing. Them + initiative = powerful commander as far as I've ever made it in to the game. So I may or may not have the stables available on the 6th shard. I'll have the pre-requisite buildings when I eventually finish the 5th. I may go another direction though as I managing mood is already becoming troublesome and my guard guards, I think, are starting to become less meaningful. (Though I don't know what next tier of guards to pursue)

Anyhoo, I have no life and this is scratching the HoMM tactical/strategic TBS stack attack itch nicely again. This time, I may even finish.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The two ways I manage province unhappiness:
1. Get Healers at Tier 1, then grab the Abbey at Tier 2. Brethren of the Light aren't very powerful, but they'll stop undead invasions. And they boost the happiness of the province.
2. Tier 2 Theater will allow your Pub in the provinces to offset unhappiness.

Of course, at your stage, the buildings may not be available yet.

I've also focused on getting Karma whenever possible. Apparently some of it carries over to the strategic level. And it's "good" somehow.

As for pegasi, I was using them, but I found they don't hold up too well at higher levels. They die really easy. I think the Horsemen tend to be a bit more useful.

As for guards, grab the Swordsmen and the Crossbowmen. Then, from the 2nd Tier you'll be able to grab the Lookout Tower. The Watchmen guards are pretty decent.

Though.... I think you said you were still playing Genesis. I'm not sure how much of that translates to the earlier game.

Black Lives Matter