Eador: Master of the Broken World (new 4X fantasy TBS)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Eador: Master of the Broken World (new 4X fantasy TBS)

Post by ColdSteel »

Pyperkub wrote:So... this is on steam sale, how many tentacles if anyone is still playing?
I give it 9 tentacles. The key for this game is to play the scenarios first before you try the campaign. In most games it's the other way around with the campaign being played first but not with this one. The campaign is so long, and what you can do at first in it is so limited, that it gives a very poor first impression of the game. It is far (far) better to play the scenarios first and only go to the campaign if you start getting bored with those. And as for why:

1. Scenario shards are randomly generated and you can set the size/parameters to anything you'd like (for a quick or long game).
2. Scenarios are not limited at all on what you can research and build.
3. You can play as an evil or as good character as you like with no consequences beyond that scenario. This opens up some of the most fun aspects of the game.
4. Each and every scenario is different to play since they're randomly generated.
5. Since you can do everything right from the start, you actually learn how to play the game.

I personally have not completed the campaign and really don't feel the desire to at this point. The scenarios are really the meat of the game in my opinion and it is a fantastic game if played this way. One of the very best of this genre.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Em-boughten. I still have great memories of an old fantasy novel called The Shattered World, and this kind of reminds me of it.

Of course, now I have the following in the queue:

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (game in progress)
Warlock: Master of the Arcane (with the Armageddon DLC to try)
Eador: Masters of the Broken World

Good thing I like these games, having been a big Warlords 2/Warlords 3/Warlords DLR player...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote:Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (game in progress)
Of those three I liked Eador the best, though I thought Warlock had more potential to be a better game than it was.

I am told Warlock's been patched a bit and I need to get back to it.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

I also picked this up while on sale. Playing through the campaign as a wizard/necromancer. I got some spider eggs, how do I use them?
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Arkon wrote:I also picked this up while on sale. Playing through the campaign as a wizard/necromancer. I got some spider eggs, how do I use them?
You have to have both a fort that supports level three troops and one of the buildings in the lower left corner of the tree. Then I believe you just go to an outpost and drag them to a level three troop slot and they become a spider.

They're more fun to watch grow than they are actually useful, IMO.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pyperkub wrote:Em-boughten. I still have great memories of an old fantasy novel called The Shattered World, and this kind of reminds me of it.

Of course, now I have the following in the queue:

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (game in progress)

Good thing I like these games, having been a big Warlords 2/Warlords 3/Warlords DLR player...
I enjoyed FE:LH. But like all of these games, it's generally a matter of surviving long enough to develop the units/strategy that the AI can't handle. The AI never seems to recognize and adapt. It's also easy to find the one or two combinations that make the game easy. I forced myself to play every hero. Some are definitely easier than others.

I would highly recommend Armageddon over the regular. It adds a level of difficulty and largely removes the other warlocks/diplomacy, which mostly amounted to them randomly declaring war on me for no reason.

Eador is still on my list. I dabbled briefly in the beta and couldn't get a handle on it. I guess I need to go back since so many OO'ers seem to like it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Pyperkub wrote:I still have great memories of an old fantasy novel called The Shattered World, and this kind of reminds me of it.
I loved it too and also The Burning Realm, which was the second book in Michael J. Reaves' planned 'Shattered World' trilogy. To this day those are still some of my very favorite books and It pissed me off to no end that he never finished the trilogy and just left it hanging there like he did. If you liked those, also try his Darkworld Detective. Way ahead of it's time as far as genre mashups go and fun to read if you like similar stuff written much, much later by Jim Butcher and Glen Cook.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ColdSteel wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:I still have great memories of an old fantasy novel called The Shattered World, and this kind of reminds me of it.
I loved it too and also The Burning Realm, which was the second book in Michael J. Reaves' planned 'Shattered World' trilogy. To this day those are still some of my very favorite books and It pissed me off to no end that he never finished the trilogy and just left it hanging there like he did. If you liked those, also try his Darkworld Detective. Way ahead of it's time as far as genre mashups go and fun to read if you like similar stuff written much, much later by Jim Butcher and Glen Cook.
I read The Burning Realm back in the day as well, and it was good, but not as good. The werebear thief was such a great protagonist...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well, I got an hour or two in - decided to start with a small shard, 2 opponents (one beginner, one skilled - playing on skilled).

It seems to start a bit slowly - rapid expansion is tough, as my basic armies are pretty weak. I like the exploring of your provinces, and the construction tree isn't too bad. Battles aren't super fast either, but I'm kind of liking the leisurely pace so far. I'm only up to 4 provinces so far, and none is fully explored. My heroes keep telling me that they can't beat some forces, and so far, I still tend to lose a militiaman or slinger every battle that we are supposed to walk over them (first hero scout, second warrior).

Not bad so far. Maybe I should have followed the earlier advice to plunder first, but I'm too nice when I'm building my empires to start... I'm always afraid I'll lose something. Next one will be put to the torch however...

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Barbarians. They are cheap and the best early game unit by far. True that they aren't "good" units but they aren't evil and shouldn't affect your karma much. They can also throw axes (once per battle). Also, get a healer as fast as you can. For your scout, try to pump all the abilities that increase your ranged attack and research the store that lets you upgrade your bow and arrows. A few ranged units and a healer is all your warrior will need at first as long as he has halfway decent equipment and after he gets a few levels and perks/skills/spells (+movement is needed) he'll be able to effectively operate solo.

Also, don't forget to visit the crystal in your capital province and get some easy quests there to get extra gold and item rewards early on.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I thought I had this game. I know I played a bit. Perhaps it was on a colleague's PC. Anyhow, Steam doesn't show it for me.

I know it'll be on Steam Sale again so I'll wait. I promise I won't just buy it and not play it!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

JonathanStrange wrote:I thought I had this game. I know I played a bit. Perhaps it was on a colleague's PC. Anyhow, Steam doesn't show it for me.
Maybe you got the GOG version instead? That's the version I have.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

any guides, wikis or anything to help explain the mechanics of the game?

Like'
1- how can you find out if your province produces a resource? I see on the province list a log icon, but even though my province is fully explored cant find the resource.

2. Build orders? Any tips. been focusing on mainly economic so far, at the expense of troop upgrades. Of course this is just to get started.

I did glance through the manual, but wish it described more. Intriguing so far.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Newcastle wrote:any guides, wikis or anything to help explain the mechanics of the game?

Like'
1- how can you find out if your province produces a resource? I see on the province list a log icon, but even though my province is fully explored cant find the resource.

2. Build orders? Any tips. been focusing on mainly economic so far, at the expense of troop upgrades. Of course this is just to get started.

I did glance through the manual, but wish it described more. Intriguing so far.
1 - you'll see the picture in the province (logs, iron bars, etc.) You'll need to build the corresponding building (e.g. Sawmill or the like for forests) in your capitol before you can build the corresponding item in your provinces.

I think.

I've been getting a lot of my gold from fights. There's also something in the tech tree that lets you turn gems into gold, which for me would be good as I'm loaded with Gems currently.

I did have an unhappy capital - it actually had a big exclamation point over it, but I built a pub, and maybe a brewery as well as a theater, and that helped. It was a bit tricky to figure out what I needed to build tho...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I also finally looked at the manual... I'll be speeding up the combat animations ASAP.

Hopefully the manual gets updated again with better explanations of province and city management. It would be nice to have some sort of province history showing what caused the unrest, etc...

Really enjoying so far tho

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ok, exclamation point means I have a quest from that province.

I've also found that my Warrior is a BEAST! He was my second hero (started with a Scout - big mistake). Scout is stuck trying to find 1 more Slinger to kill (stuck on 8/9 - ack!).

I wish there were a way to rotate the camera POV around. Either the main map of the shard or the combat maps.

PS speeding up the combat animations really helps.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ColdSteel wrote:I give it 9 tentacles. The key for this game is to play the scenarios first before you try the campaign. In most games it's the other way around with the campaign being played first but not with this one. The campaign is so long, and what you can do at first in it is so limited, that it gives a very poor first impression of the game. It is far (far) better to play the scenarios first and only go to the campaign if you start getting bored with those.
Interesting. I have about 2 hours into the campaign at this point and while I'm enjoying it, numerous times I've tried to build things or do something and I cannot. I actually enjoy the game very much so far (and would rank its peers similar to Lord Mortis) so maybe I'll try the scenario route for a few hours and see what changes.

But yeah, for a game I picked up during the summer sale, it's quite enjoyable so far. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure how many people noticed, but as part of the sale today, they also released some free DLC:
Our studio will never forget the release of Eador. It was a complete chaotic mess in the best of Russian traditions.

Emergency patching helped the game to stay alive but it wasn't us who truly saved Eador. First and foremost the game survived thanks to the players, their patience, critique and understanding of the situation.

This is why we decided to celebrate the one year anniversary of Eador. MotBW with a free content update humbly named 'Sacred Gift'. The DLC adds the long awaited shard multiplayer — now you can challenge your friend over the shard's reign, against each other only or with AI Masters.

Besides, we've added a set of 17 new units:

- Ice Demon
- Black Widow
- Fire Giant
- White Wizard
- Black Wizard
- Fire Dragon
- Cursed Dragon
- Storm Dragon
- Succubus
- Tainted Unicorn
- Dark Treant
- Desert Troll
- Clay Golem
- Crystal Golem
- Obsidian Golem
- Crystal Gargoyle
- Obsidian Gargoyle

These units are based on the old ones but with new abilities. For example, Black widow can lay eggs in dead bodies of fallen enemies, letting it create new spiders; and Succubus gains a 'Mental slave' spell at level 10.

Looking back at our experience, it's quite risky to state that the game is completely bug free. But we hope that today's Eador can be considered beatable, playable and stable.

Thanks for being with us this year!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Maybe it's time to fire it up again.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

The sale is on Steam for 75% off at $4.99. With the free DLC content pack and sale, if you haven't tried this yet, now would be an excellent time.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Hotseat :wub:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I fired it up for a while for the first time in about a year. It's certainly a lot more stable, not to mention looking and running better. I never played the campaign, so I may just give that a shot.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I tried to play some this morning, first time in 5 months. I have really enjoyed this game, bugs and all, but there's a game stopper for me atm. Sometimes in combat an enemy unit will be reduced to zero hit points but still be alive. I cannot attack the unit on my turn but they can still attack me. I'll wait for a fix before I try to play again.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Dramatist wrote:I tried to play some this morning, first time in 5 months. I have really enjoyed this game, bugs and all, but there's a game stopper for me atm. Sometimes in combat an enemy unit will be reduced to zero hit points but still be alive. I cannot attack the unit on my turn but they can still attack me. I'll wait for a fix before I try to play again.
I just got the game. And I already ran into some of that. I've had units drop to zero health (it seems to happen when they attack me and I counterattack). They don't attack me, but I can't attack them. I have to just keep hitting the end turn button. Eventually combat ends. And I suffer a defeat (so no loot). But the enemy are gone. So I can't try again. Kind of annoying.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's apparently a beta hotfix ready to go right now for the 0hp unit issue, but you need to enable beta installations under the game options. Unfortunately by doing so you remove the ability for internet multiplayer, but it does seem they are at least aware of the issue and are working to address it behind the scenes.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

At $4.99, I might bite - but I would primarily be interested in multiplayer with my son so I can start educating him on the fun of turn based strategy games.

So the question is how does multiplayer work - from what I could tell on the website, it does allow multiplayer at the strategic level but details were scarce.

Basically, I want to play a LAN game (or private game on internet) with him at his computer (he has his own steam account so we would buy 2x copies) and then we could informally or formally ally to co-op versus AI players while he learns. Similar to how Sword of the Stars I worked in this regard.

So has anyone tried multiplayer?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Dramatist wrote:I tried to play some this morning, first time in 5 months. I have really enjoyed this game, bugs and all, but there's a game stopper for me atm. Sometimes in combat an enemy unit will be reduced to zero hit points but still be alive. I cannot attack the unit on my turn but they can still attack me. I'll wait for a fix before I try to play again.
I've run into that as well, and the way around it is to bring up the menu and auto-resolve the battle. You guys will wail away on the 0-hitpoint guys a couple of turns and then the battle will come to an end.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

tgb wrote:
I've run into that as well, and the way around it is to bring up the menu and auto-resolve the battle. You guys will wail away on the 0-hitpoint guys a couple of turns and then the battle will come to an end.
Thanks, tgb. I'll try that. Do you know if you get credit for a win? Or is it still considered a defeat (i.e. like what happens if you just spam end of turn until the number of turns runs out)?

Black Lives Matter

Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Smoove_B wrote:There's apparently a beta hotfix ready to go right now for the 0hp unit issue, but you need to enable beta installations under the game options. Unfortunately by doing so you remove the ability for internet multiplayer, but it does seem they are at least aware of the issue and are working to address it behind the scenes.
I did this and now things are working fine. Thanks!
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
tgb

Post by tgb »

TheMix wrote:
tgb wrote:
Thanks, tgb. I'll try that. Do you know if you get credit for a win? Or is it still considered a defeat (i.e. like what happens if you just spam end of turn until the number of turns runs out)?
I had to do it 2 or 3 times this morning and got a win every time.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Dramatist wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:There's apparently a beta hotfix ready to go right now for the 0hp unit issue, but you need to enable beta installations under the game options. Unfortunately by doing so you remove the ability for internet multiplayer, but it does seem they are at least aware of the issue and are working to address it behind the scenes.
I did this and now things are working fine. Thanks!
No betas are showing up for me :(
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Try this:
In Steam games library, you should choose Eador, click on 'Properties', go to 'Betas' tab, select 'eador_beta' and, finally, 'Check code'.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Smoove_B wrote:Try this:
In Steam games library, you should choose Eador, click on 'Properties', go to 'Betas' tab, select 'eador_beta' and, finally, 'Check code'.
There's no eador_beta showing. All it says is NONE-Opt out of all beta programs. I can't choose anything else.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh...that's strange as I see a drop-down arrow for that box that lets me pick "eadorbeta - Eador Beta".

The only thing I can figure is that maybe you're not up to date on the game? I don't recall ever needed to set a global flag or something for being able to participate in beta patches. I always thought it was set at the publisher/game level.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

After re-booting my computer, it finally worked and I'm on the beta. Thanks Smoove.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I bit on the sale. Unfortunately I don't get screen updates without changing options in the video section.

What I mean is that the game started with the world completely black (I could see my hero icon). Then I toggled something in my video options and I could see this beautiful world rendered. I moved the appropriate province and eventually found myself in combat. But where the pop-up message referred to hexes, I was still only seeing the rendered overworld (non-battle screen). Toggle a setting in the options and I could see the battlefield. As the battle progressed, I couldn't see my hero (or my enemies) moving across the screen without a toggle.

I can review the appropriate support site this weekend, but have any OOers run into this bug report and/or would you have advice or a pointer to where I could get this fixed? TIA.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yikes.

That would be ... unpleasant.

I have not run into that. However, I'm running in windowed mode. It defaults to what is basically full screen, and then I manually adjust the window size (I probably should adjust the settings I'm using to be smaller). So I don't know if that would help.

Black Lives Matter

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I spent all of 30 minutes playing (to see what the game was about). I did nothing to toggle settings (such as windowed mode) to see if something would work, but that seems like a good suggestion. I'll play around with it more this weekend.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Glad I kept playing with things. Ended up fixing everything with a 59Hz resolution (rather than the 60Hz version), so I am up and running. Played through a few of the campaign shards and am having a good time with things. I understand that I should set up a huge shard in the non-campaign game when I'm ready to enjoy the full set of features, but for now I'm still getting my sea-legs on the scaled-down (campaign) version of things.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thought I'd get back to this after all of these years and wow. It's completely unplayable. What a buggy mess. I think I'm going to go back to Genesis' GOG version and see if it's any better.