Re: Crusader Kings II

Post by El Guapo »

Lagom Lite wrote:He passed the Pants Act
Tyranny!
Black Lives Matter.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lagom Lite wrote:The Emperor in those screenshots (top left portrait) later went mad. He passed the Pants Act and appointed his favorite horse Glitterhoof as Chancellor. It's been a weird game.
I found it...

http://kotaku.com/that-time-a-horse-con ... 1757913762

And a Norse horse story...

http://imgur.com/a/K1utf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

baelthazar wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:The Emperor in those screenshots (top left portrait) later went mad. He passed the Pants Act and appointed his favorite horse Glitterhoof as Chancellor. It's been a weird game.
I found it...

http://kotaku.com/that-time-a-horse-con ... 1757913762

And a Norse horse story...

http://imgur.com/a/K1utf
:lol:

That's awesome.
Black Lives Matter.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I broke down and bought "The Reaper's Due" DLC because it was on sale and even though I haven't played the game in months, I'm looking to have a lot of free time this January and start up again with the game. I have all the previous DLC and have PDFs for several of them, which I *think* I got through the Steam page. There is no manual on the Store page for The Reaper's Due, so is there just not one, or are they now located somewhere else?

By the way, I'm planning on having all the DLC enabled for my next play-through, although I'm not sure about Sunset Invasion. Should I disable that one? I remember some folks thinking it was a bit bogus.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

I went looking a few weeks back and couldn't find a mini-manual for The Reaper's Due either. But it's not hard to read the feature list on the announcement and guess how it all goes. The only mystery for me was hospitals, which (it turns out) are managed from a small tab on the right edge of the window where you normally select your holdings (castles, towns, churches) within a province.

I highly recommend trying the Historical Improvement Project mod. It adds a ton of content and flavor, and it's been around long enough that it's very mature and balanced.

If you like GRRM, the Game of Thrones mod is also very impressive as an absurdly lore-heavy sandbox.

I think I would skip Sunset Invasion unless you really want it to happen, although I've heard the GoT mod uses its mechanics in interesting ways...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for the reply, I'll be looking out for those hospitals.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

There are no manuals, but wikis for paradox games are pretty good.
As to Sunset, it's up to you if you would find an Aztec invasion fun or not. It's recommended to play after you played the normal game, at least.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm seriously tempted to blow $40 USD and pick up all the DLC I don't currently have, since individually they are 66% off but if I bundle it the discount bumps up to 75%. This is stuff I normally wouldn't consider getting, but the Steam Sale has been such a disappointment I feel like I owe myself something :angelic-cyan:
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

So I started playing this last night, and I noticed a couple of annoying little icons hovering over the interface in the minimap area. A microphone, and a weird circle thingy. I looked through all the settings I could find, and I see no way to disable these irritating little things. Am I wrong? Is there a way to get rid of them?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Doesn't sound familiar. Screenshot?
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Hi,

I also came back to CK2 after a (longer) pause and while I'm not seeing much of the Monks expansion (yet) in my current game, I'm also new to the latest two expansions (Conclave and The Reaper's Due). Reaper seems to be pretty straightforward but Conclave but A LOT of changes and I'm looking for a link to a good explanation/instruction on how to best deal with the changes to the council. It looks much more difficult now but so far I like it (the way the council worked before was a bit arbitrary in parts) but I'm now seeing all these icons and I'm not sure what some mean (for example, some council members have a little red ribbon wrapped around their lower-right icon for their orientation (loyal, glory-hound etc.) and I'm not sure what this means). I also tried to buy some favors to have my council vote for my war declaration but while it stated that the council member owed my a favor, I'm not sure how to get him to vote in my favor
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

jztemple2 wrote:Doesn't sound familiar. Screenshot?
Weirdly they don't show up in Steam screenshots, and I can't seem to make my computer do a manual screen dump. I thought maybe it was because I was "logged in" on paradox while playing, but they are there even when I am "logged out".
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PrtScr - Paint - Ctrl-V
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Well, I figured it out. When I started Warhammer tonight, a popup appeared from the Nvidia Experience, which I guess is some kind of program that got installed when I updated my drivers last time, and allows me to record and upload videos of my amazing gaming skilz.

I disabled it, and the problem is solved!

I just wonder why there was no popup about it when I started any other games...
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Thanks for sharing your experience with Nvidia Experience. The information may be useful in the future since I also have Nvidia Experience installed on my PC.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You can uninstall it and manually download drivers from the nvidia.com website. Which if they keep this up I'll probably be doing.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My Radon did similar things out of the box. I had to go in to the system tray crap that got set up by default to turn it off.

I saw CKII with all of the bells an whistles is $39.99, only when I went to go look at all of the bells and whistles it's actually only 43 of the 64 bells and whistles and mainly they are things like picture and sound packs.

How disappointing. Some other time, maybe.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

You don't need the 9 million expansions to have fun with the game and they go on sale like all the time. I just wish I had time to get into it. It's so much fun when I forget all the processes and just get into the game, but man it's like ramming my head against a wall to get going. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

You really only need Conclave, Way of Life, the Republic, and Reaper's Due in my opinion. The rest of the stuff is either purely aesthetic, music, or different maps and scenarios. Definitely skip Sunset Invasion.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

ChuckB wrote: It looks much more difficult now but so far I like it (the way the council worked before was a bit arbitrary in parts)
Sadly, there's still a bug in that the council only pushes for election in succession matters.
ChuckB wrote: but I'm now seeing all these icons and I'm not sure what some mean (for example, some council members have a little red ribbon wrapped around their lower-right icon for their orientation (loyal, glory-hound etc.) and I'm not sure what this means).
It's in the tooltips. Glory hounds like to fight hard opponents and don't like fighting weak ones, as well as like having big vassals. Others (who name escapes me) are the opposite, zealous wants you to fight/punish heretics and infidels and loyals support you no matter what.
ChuckB wrote: I also tried to buy some favors to have my council vote for my war declaration but while it stated that the council member owed my a favor, I'm not sure how to get him to vote in my favor
Right click on his portrait and call it in.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

This baby's free on steam until Sunday.

I'm thinking first run-through on Vanilla, and if I like it then I'll consider tossing some expansions into the mix?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Free to play, right?

Edit. Nope. Thanks for the heads up. I never bought CK II because I bought a lot of CK and IMO, it was too buggy to through even more money at the franchise.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 pm Edit. Nope. Thanks for the heads up. I never bought CK II because I bought a lot of CK and IMO, it was too buggy to through even more money at the franchise.
If you thought the core of CK was good, you're in for a treat. CKII really does a great job of fixing all of CK's issues and building from there.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I thought it was pretty cool that you can snag a permanent copy of the base game for free. I guess all the money comes from the DLC at this point? I'd definitely grab it if I didn't have it. It was tough to get into, and that's why I haven't played recently, but it was definitely fun.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 pm I guess all the money comes from the DLC at this point?
Yep, they're like a drug dealer on the playground. "Yeah, kiddies, the first hit's on me, won't cost you a thing, just try it".

I picked it up. It'll be interesting to see if I can figure out how to play it. I'm seen a lot of folks say they just bounced right off it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The original was pretty intuitive. It was long and in depth but intuitive. I really loved it short of the bugs the made so I could never complete a game.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm not sure "intuitive" is what I'd use to describe the UI in this game. It appears to be a giant blob of multi-colored icons (to the point where my eyes glaze over), and the tutorial text isn't really any help. I'll have to take a more in-depth look at it later on.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:10 am I'm not sure "intuitive" is what I'd use to describe the UI in this game. It appears to be a giant blob of multi-colored icons (to the point where my eyes glaze over), and the tutorial text isn't really any help. I'll have to take a more in-depth look at it later on.
It's been awhile since I played CKII, but my experience with most of the Paradox games is that I just try stuff and see what works (OOPS! Conquered again) until I know more or less what I'm doing. My favorite thing to do in the CK games is to start as a small county / duchy in northeast Sweden and expand by making war on the pagan tribes to the east, until I'm big enough to contend for the throne of Sweden, and then greater Scandinavia, and whatnot. And on that, if you're starting as a smaller state (not a king), then you need to rely heavily on mercenaries at the outset, which works pretty well for fighting the pagan tribes.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You want hard mode? Start on Iceland.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I always like starting as one of the Irish petty kingdoms. It gives you a fun, early goal of uniting Ireland, and lets you learn the ropes of the game without being in the viper pit that is mainland Europe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:10 am I'm not sure "intuitive" is what I'd use to describe the UI in this game. It appears to be a giant blob of multi-colored icons (to the point where my eyes glaze over), and the tutorial text isn't really any help. I'll have to take a more in-depth look at it later on.
I haven't tried 2, so I don't know what's changed. The only think I remember getting confused was in the original was when the cursades get going, you have responsibilities and objectives that I couldn't find ways to force my kingdom to do and I would annoy me.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am I always like starting as one of the Irish petty kingdoms. It gives you a fun, early goal of uniting Ireland, and lets you learn the ropes of the game without being in the viper pit that is mainland Europe.
Who was it that wrote that awesome and hilarious AAR starting as one of the Irish petty kingdoms? Was that you?
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:20 am
Sepiche wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:33 am I always like starting as one of the Irish petty kingdoms. It gives you a fun, early goal of uniting Ireland, and lets you learn the ropes of the game without being in the viper pit that is mainland Europe.
Who was it that wrote that awesome and hilarious AAR starting as one of the Irish petty kingdoms? Was that you?
No, I vaguely remember that, but it wasn't me.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Yeah, Ireland is a great starting spot for that. Graduating to Britain afterward ramps up the difficulty a lot but still keeps things manageable later on.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... [CK2] Crusader Kings 2 Tutorial for New Players Lets Play Part 1

:horse: ... a 22 episode tutorial, starting in Ireland .. each episode seems to be 18 minutes long
Ain't nobody got time for that
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I miss text.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 pmI miss text.
Me too. I hate having to learn new CKII DLC features via videos. And I barely even know what Twitch is, much less use it.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I bought this game on release and ponied up for a lot of DLC a year or two later, but never really got into the game. I would put about 10 hours in, get frustrated by the title inheritance mechanics, quit and boot up EU IV. It always seemed like it should be more interesting than EU IV, but was too frustrating in reality.

However, this weekend I took one more shot. I bought most of the DLC I had missed since they were on sale, and then spent a couple of hours watching "TIps for new players" videos. I learned a lot and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game. I only had 35 hours in the game over about 6 years until this weekend. Now I'm sitting at 70 hours played and I'm totally hooked! I highly recommend watching some of the "let's play" videos for anyone who has never played or had trouble getting into the game. And I second the notion that starting as a Count in Ireland is a great way to get your feet wet.

This game takes a bit more effort to learn than most, but it is definitely worth it. And it has tremendous replay value, so any money spent is a wise gaming investment. :wink:
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

For those CK2 players who aren't sure which of its many DLC to purchase, check out this Crusader Kings II DLC Buying Guide.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee