Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

Post by Daehawk »

Well I can see Im going to be perma broke. I was almost out of ammo on my first big mission with the giant plants and had to restock there. Now I have zero money again. Couldn't even afford mods. Maybe when its all over.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Interesting news from inXile, by way of a Kickstarter project update:
We also released another Bard’s Tale game in August, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy, a remastering of the original games. If you are a fan of the originals, give it a look. I bring it up because the studio we are partnered with on the project, Krome, is also working with us on a remaster of the original Wasteland called Wasteland - 30th Anniversary Edition. There isn’t a store page for it yet, but keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter feeds. We’ll be talking more about it later in the year, and it’s due in early 2019.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm Interesting news from inXile, by way of a Kickstarter project update:
We also released another Bard’s Tale game in August, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy, a remastering of the original games. If you are a fan of the originals, give it a look. I bring it up because the studio we are partnered with on the project, Krome, is also working with us on a remaster of the original Wasteland called Wasteland - 30th Anniversary Edition. There isn’t a store page for it yet, but keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter feeds. We’ll be talking more about it later in the year, and it’s due in early 2019.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/240760 ... 0450249852

$44.99

Enlarge Image

Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic
Wasteland - 30th Anniversary Edition remaster (due early 2019)
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Digital Extras:
- Wasteland 3 Music Track "Frozen Waste"
- Wasteland 2 Novella: All Bad Things
- Wasteland 2 Novella: The Earth Transformed Ghost Book One
- Wasteland 2 Novella: Death Machines Ghost Book Two
- Wasteland 2 Concept Art Book
- Wasteland 2 Choir Songs EP
- Wasteland 2 Original Soundtrack
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I assume buying just the remaster will be considerably less than $45.

The fact that Krome studios (one dude, as far as I can tell) is also doing this remaster means 1st day purchase for me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote:
Max Peck wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:08 pm - Wasteland 3 Music Track "Frozen Waste"
:shifty:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is a party based RPG that I actually made some headway with. I mean, I still bailed long before finishing but I gave it a good shot at least. I have nothing but good memories of it, I have no idea why I stopped. In fact it is on my list of games that I plan on returning to one day. It's a long list and there are many orphans along the way, but sometimes, rarely, I do return and play something. In the meantime it makes me feel better about my barely played game collection.

Don't get me wrong, I play like a fiend, just deep and not wide.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Rissssse! Rise from your grave!

Whats the ideal starting party stats for Wasteland 2 to see the most content on one playthru?

Edit for: I'm running the wasteland 2 PS4 version.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You want as close as possible to "one of each" for skills. Keep in mind that you get to recruit up to three NPCs as well, so your PCs don't have to cover *everything*. Don't feel bad about leaving some container or whatever alone, you can usually come back to it if your skill is too low.

For combat, you want a mixture of weapon types because there's not enough ammo to run an "all rifle" party, for example. Melee weapons are ok too, I guess, I just have trouble using a spiked club when a rifle is available.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:52 pm You want as close as possible to "one of each" for skills. Keep in mind that you get to recruit up to three NPCs as well, so your PCs don't have to cover *everything*. Don't feel bad about leaving some container or whatever alone, you can usually come back to it if your skill is too low.

For combat, you want a mixture of weapon types because there's not enough ammo to run an "all rifle" party, for example. Melee weapons are ok too, I guess, I just have trouble using a spiked club when a rifle is available.
Which different types of weapons should I choose?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A variety. Rifles are the best "all-around" weapons. Energy weapons are good vs armored foes, so you want one on your team. Sniper rifles are self-explanatory. Pistols and SMGs can get really fast but don't do very much damage, shotguns are ok. Melee weapons, I don't have much experience with, but they hit hard as long as you can get close. As long as you don't go all in on a single weapon type, you should be ok.
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 am A variety. Rifles are the best "all-around" weapons. Energy weapons are good vs armored foes, so you want one on your team. Sniper rifles are self-explanatory. Pistols and SMGs can get really fast but don't do very much damage, shotguns are ok. Melee weapons, I don't have much experience with, but they hit hard as long as you can get close. As long as you don't go all in on a single weapon type, you should be ok.
Thanks!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just spent an hour creating 4 new party members. It was at the end of making #4 when I noticed the tabs for knowledge points and something else. I put all my points into combat skills and didn't see the others. Still not enough points. Have I messed up my guys right at the start with no points in stuff like lockpick and such? Not sure I want to even bother at this point.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh NM. Ive kinda lost my mood. Ive been wanting to play a RPG for weeks I just cant commit.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yes, I am enamored with RPGs, but I rarely start them or get very far. I know it's stupid, but I think it started with Ultima VI...back before it was easy to get patches. I had gone pretty far into the story and was having a blast, but then my save was corrupted by a known bug with a boat/skiff. I tried starting the game over, but it just wasn't the same...never did go back to it...and I had finished IV and V before it.

Now, with our epic 40+ hour RPGs...I get worried that I will make my characters "wrong" or I will make some choice that will alter the game toward a negative outcome. Wasteland 2 has been on my list for a while, but I know I will need to research what character skills to ensure I have since I don't want to miss something :D
"Some people say never...I just say no"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Personally, I think the key to getting started and enjoying Wasteland 2 is to use their NPC characters for your party. Just make your one character. And I'd probably focus mostly on combat and let the others fill in what you need. However, I'll caveat that with "it's been a long time since I played it".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For most of this year Ive played and enjoyed the install this and delete it within 5 minutes game.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Wastelands 2 is the one of the few RPGs I have actually finished in the past few years. It's worth playing, IMHO.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If you don't have this yet, you've got 33 hours left to get it free on GOG.com
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Bumping this up for interested parties.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:00 am Bumping this up for interested parties.
Thanks, Coop, for saving me a search!

OK, so started re-playing this (never finished) recently and have the following questions/comments for anyone else that also happens to be playing (or remembers).

1. Where the F%^#@ is my shovel?!? You 'find' a shovel on the first screen of the game, but all of a sudden, I'm out in BFE in the Wastes and realize that my shovel is no longer in my possession. Very sure I didn't sell it (unless it was auto marked as junk maybe?), so either someone nabbed it (not even a game mechanic, AFAIK), or it has x number of uses (weird), or...I dunno. But pissed!

2. Char creation: I went with 2 assault types, picked up Angela (highly recommended), a leader/skills type, and a medic/sniper type.

3. Mistakes: I duplicated too many of the skills that Angela has (I had no idea of course since you create the party before meeting her). so that is a bit of a bummer. I also probably broke down too many weapons with too low a level of weaponsmithing. Probably should have waited until weaponsmithing was higher since I ended up with a LOT of junk. I think I broke down 3 guns using Angela and got one mod for a shotgun. None of my chars use shotguns. :evil:

4. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I keep setting off traps, even after I have "viewed" them (magnifying glass) with my Perception skill. No idea what I am doing wrong, but last night I blew up my favorite, and only goat companion due to this bs. I can SEE the traps, but I don't get any prompts to disarm for some reason. Yargh. Need to research that one.

Anyway, absolutely loving it so far. Very much gives me original Fallout vibes of course, which is a great thing.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:33 am OK, so started re-playing this (never finished) recently and have the following questions/comments for anyone else that also happens to be playing (or remembers).

1. Where the F%^#@ is my shovel?!? You 'find' a shovel on the first screen of the game, but all of a sudden, I'm out in BFE in the Wastes and realize that my shovel is no longer in my possession. Very sure I didn't sell it (unless it was auto marked as junk maybe?), so either someone nabbed it (not even a game mechanic, AFAIK), or it has x number of uses (weird), or...I dunno. But pissed!

2. Char creation: I went with 2 assault types, picked up Angela (highly recommended), a leader/skills type, and a medic/sniper type.

3. Mistakes: I duplicated too many of the skills that Angela has (I had no idea of course since you create the party before meeting her). so that is a bit of a bummer. I also probably broke down too many weapons with too low a level of weaponsmithing. Probably should have waited until weaponsmithing was higher since I ended up with a LOT of junk. I think I broke down 3 guns using Angela and got one mod for a shotgun. None of my chars use shotguns. :evil:

4. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I keep setting off traps, even after I have "viewed" them (magnifying glass) with my Perception skill. No idea what I am doing wrong, but last night I blew up my favorite, and only goat companion due to this bs. I can SEE the traps, but I don't get any prompts to disarm for some reason. Yargh. Need to research that one.

Anyway, absolutely loving it so far. Very much gives me original Fallout vibes of course, which is a great thing.
1) Ruh row, Shaggy! It should be in your inventory on one of your characters. Then you put it in the action bar so that you can use it. But if you don't have it in any of your characters' inventories, then it sounds like you don't have it. It does not have a limited number of usees.

2) You should try to avoid having any weapon duplication. At least early on. Ammo is not very common, and you won't have the cash initially to buy more. Having multiple characters using the same weapons means you may run out of that kind of ammo. Especially bad if it's during a fight.

3a)
Spoiler:
Duplicating Angela's skills isn't terrible, but you don't need to initially. Later on, though, you may find it useful to start putting a few points into the same skills she offers...
3b) I don't recall the level of Weaponsmithing being that important. At least with regards to how much scrap you get. Though it has been a while, so obviously defer to the description. :) That said, you'll have a ton of mods eventually. And scrap sells for a lot more than mods. So... if you are not adverse to save scumming, always quick save before breaking down items so that you can maximize the rewards (the outcome of breaking down items is randomized).

4) There is a skill that you need to disable traps. Explosives maybe? It sounds like you don't have anyone with the required skill; if you have someone, then they should automatically attempt the disarm when prompted. Though I often flipped over to single movement/character control when I need to do something like that so the rest of the party wouldn't tag along and do something stupid.

Edit: Demolitions is what you need. https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Wasteland_2_skills

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Depending on whether you are trying to be a "purist" and are okay with making mistakes... or would prefer to avoid frustrations down the road.... You may want to take a look ahead of time at the followers that you can get to join your party. This may allow you to plan your characters skills to minimize duplication.

https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Recruits_(Wasteland_2)

Note: Generally people ignore the recruits hanging around the Citadel. They aren't very interesting.

Your initial options, in the sense that you will find them pretty early in the game, are:
Spoiler:
Vulture's Cry or Rose (you can't get both)
Ralphy Parker
Scotchmo
Chisel
Takayuki

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Here's my tips that I posted a while back:

http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 3#p2161493
http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... 3#p2174453

Basically, I went with 4 characters and tried to get maximum skill coverage. I think you get up to three NPCs. You can safely leave 'barter', the discount it provides is not enough to make it worth investing skill points into.

As far as Angela Deth goes, well, let's just say that I wouldn't count on her long-term presence in your team. She'll be around for a while so you can use her as a crutch to help level your guys up, but then there's a scripted event.

When it happens:
Spoiler:
Once you're about to enter a certain canyon.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Very helpful comments, thanks guys.

Re: the missing %^@#$%^ shovel. Apparently this was a bug that never got fixed. I saw a couple of mentions about modding the save file (code below), but WHERE do I put that in the file? Anyone know? The places that list it, don't tell you how to actually edit the file (I mean, I know to open notepad, but does it matter where within that file I append the code?). I ended up just appending to the end of the file, and when I loaded up the game, it showed that my save file was edited (when I did the wordpad editing), and it even loaded, but no shovel.

<ItemData>
<resourceName>UsableShovel</resourceName>
<slot>-1</slot>
<ammoCount>-1</ammoCount>
<firingModeIndex>0</firingModeIndex>
<isJammed>false</isJammed>
<quantity>1</quantity>
<junk>false</junk>
<fav>false</fav>
<isOriginalProperty>false</isOriginalProperty>
<inventoryGridX>0</inventoryGridX>
<inventoryGridY>0</inventoryGridY>
</ItemData>
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Let me look at my last game. I was having fun and editing the files to give me things (like lots of grenades).

Black Lives Matter

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:44 pm Very helpful comments, thanks guys.

Re: the missing %^@#$%^ shovel. Apparently this was a bug that never got fixed. I saw a couple of mentions about modding the save file (code below), but WHERE do I put that in the file? Anyone know? The places that list it, don't tell you how to actually edit the file (I mean, I know to open notepad, but does it matter where within that file I append the code?). I ended up just appending to the end of the file, and when I loaded up the game, it showed that my save file was edited (when I did the wordpad editing), and it even loaded, but no shovel.

<ItemData>
<resourceName>UsableShovel</resourceName>
<slot>-1</slot>
<ammoCount>-1</ammoCount>
<firingModeIndex>0</firingModeIndex>
<isJammed>false</isJammed>
<quantity>1</quantity>
<junk>false</junk>
<fav>false</fav>
<isOriginalProperty>false</isOriginalProperty>
<inventoryGridX>0</inventoryGridX>
<inventoryGridY>0</inventoryGridY>
</ItemData>
You'll likely ease the process if you use the save game editor to give yourself a shovel again.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Okay...

It looks like you got the first part. Making sure you have the correct save file. :)

Then you'll have to find the character that you want to add the item to.

Then it looks like you'll want to search for "displayName". You want to find the character that you want to add the shovel to.

You then want to skip over the <defaultEquipment> and <equipment> sections for that character. I'm using Notepad++ and when I select each of those it automatically highlights the section end. That makes it easier to move through the file. After those two sections, you should now be at <inventory>.

Here's the section of the save file for my character that has a shovel:

Code: Select all

</equipment><inventory><item><resourceName>UsableShovel</resourceName><ammoResourceName></ammoResourceName><slot>-1</slot><ammoCount>-1</ammoCount><firingModeIndex>0</firingModeIndex><isJammed>False</isJammed><quantity>1</quantity><junk>False</junk><fav>False</fav><isOriginalProperty>False</isOriginalProperty><inventoryGridX>4</inventoryGridX><inventoryGridY>1</inventoryGridY></item><item><resourceName>BlackBox</resourceName>...
I kept the leading "</equipment>" and the start of the next item in my inventory for that character: BlackBox.

It may be easier, too, if you remove everything from that character's inventory before you save. So that there won't be any risk of conflict in location values (I can't remember if it's smart enough to ignore conflicts and shuffle things around).

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks!!! I now have a shovel after much fiddling.

Tried to do it manually per your suggestion TheMix, but at least with regular Wordpad, I couldn't get it to work. Then I tried the savegame editor mentioned, only to find out you can't add items with that one. BUT. I read the millions of comments and someone pointed out a better one, which DID work.

But before Eureka!, I realized the reason (probably) that the manual editing didn't work was because Steam kept using the save it had in the cloud. So I disabled that and THEN I was able to get it to load the local game files.

Yay! All for a freaking shovel! :P And watch, I will probably come across one during my next playthrough!

Thanks again guys.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In Wasteland 3 you don't even need a shovel!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:13 pm In Wasteland 3 you don't even need a shovel!
LOL

There's an "in Russia" joke in there somewhere but I'm too worn out from save patching to dig for it.

If you think about it, it's a weird mechanic though. Randomly strewn out identical piles of rubble, even in vastly different landscapes, which ALWAYS reveal some little treasure. Maybe the shovel has a MetalDetector3500(TM) chip built into it. I get that the devs were probably trying to reward screen hunting, or maybe even to help out a bit since it can be a difficult game, but just seems a bit...lazy? in an otherwise very non-lazy game. Lovin't it so far.

I don't often literally LOL while playing a computer game, but the radio chatter in Highpoint is hilarious.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ah... but now you know how.... mwhahahahaha!

Nothing like unlimited grenades! :D

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:20 pm Ah... but now you know how.... mwhahahahaha!

Nothing like unlimited grenades! :D
Funny you mention that, considering that when I did open up the save with that editor, and saw what you could do with it, I wasn't even 1% tempted. Only because there are so few HARD games like this being made still (I think that's accurate), that I relish this experience. Reminds me of old school games. Reminds me a lot of Jagged Alliance as well (though JA was much less forgiving than W2).

Really my only complaint about the whole game so far (notwithstanding the shovel bs), is the cover mechanic. Several instances where enemy LOOKED completely exposed but when you go to target them, it shows them in cover. I mean straight line of sight from Dr. Who Dat to the enemy, yet the game thinks he's covered. I guess that's more of a graphical bug than anything else though. Not rage-inducing, just annoying when by the looks of the stance and angle, you will be taking out Bad Guy #6 on the next turn, and in a spectacular display of gore to boot because he's just SO exposed...so you step out to deliver the fatal blow when...'Ahhhh! I can't pull the trigger! I see the dude right in front me of me but some Hand of God is preventing me from taking him out!' :D

I've been banged up a bit by that trickery.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Wait until you have enemies run half way across the map, through a bunch of your other guys, to beat on the character at the back. :)

I'm just teasing anyway. I didn't mod at all on my first play through. But there is at least one fight that is ridiculously difficult. And made much easier with a few extra high damage grenades. Since I was looking less for the challenge on the replay, I helped myself a little for that fight.

Black Lives Matter

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

As soon as I finish up Bard's Tale IV, I'm gonna fire up Wasteland 2 and - if all goes according to plan - play that right through and into Wasteland 3.

My old 80s game nostalgia is running pretty high right now!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:21 pm As soon as I finish up Bard's Tale IV, I'm gonna fire up Wasteland 2 and - if all goes according to plan - play that right through and into Wasteland 3.

My old 80s game nostalgia is running pretty high right now!
I'm in the middle of WL2 now. I sort of wasn't hot on it at the beginning because it is...quirky...but the story and the nostalgia grew on me.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I also decided to give it another :horse: while waiting for the W3 Director's Cut.

I made a custom party:
Wimp - a scrawny, young kid - Luck 10 - and animal whisperer

Morticia - an asian genius - Intelligence 10

Sampson - Strength 10

Dr. Strange - an old, american veteran - Charisma 10

I've intentionally limited all the rest of their starting attributes to 3 to accent the differences between them.

The only mods I'm using are the camera mod and these cool portraits.

On rookie difficulty the fights have been hurtin' but very fun. I think it would be hard to build an unplayable team. I can always increase the difficulty if it gets too easy, but not the other way around.

I'm also playing in what I fondly refer to as tin man mode.
It means no save-scumming for loot, level-ups, better skill checks, or my own errors in judgement -only loading a save if someone dies (which has only happened once so far).

I finished the Ag Center crisis the past two days. It opened a side quest in three new locations. I've done two, and now my team is finally heading toward General Vargas' initial mission location.

:o ... oh, and there's a shovel laying on the ground beside Ace's grave at Ranger Citadel.
Last edited by Dave Allen on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I assumed that was the shovel you picked up and lost...

Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am I assumed that was the shovel you picked up and lost...
Assume you meant that for me? :D I'm the shovel-loser, around here (and don't you forget it!)

Also, I just read last night that you can actually play a "bad" side in this game, and it works, apparently, not just half-assed, not really what the devs want, etc. In fact, you can apparently even go rogue, and join up with anti-Ranger forces and try to take them down! Amazing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Dave Allen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:06 amThe only mods I'm using are the camera mod and these cool portraits.
Say who what now?! What camera mod do you speak of? Would definitely be interested in anything that helps with the unwieldy-ish camera.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:14 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:13 am I assumed that was the shovel you picked up and lost...
Assume you meant that for me? :D I'm the shovel-loser, around here (and don't you forget it!)
Doh! :doh:

Yeah, I screwed that one up. I forgot there are multiple folks starting a new playthrough.

Black Lives Matter