Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Wasteland 2 - Impressions start page 8

Post by tgb »

Thanks, but I was actually looking for something that showed them side by side.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote:Thanks, but I was actually looking for something that showed them side by side.
If you want to compare the graphics and UI changes, I think you'd either have to compare video of the original with the limited promo videos that inXile has put out or wait until tomorrow. I expect that once the game is out and the review embargo drops, there will be video reviews that compare the old and new versions.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Any word on the new camera / game view? Lots of complaints on the STEAM forums about how it's awful, obviously set for consoles, etc...

It's not that I don't trust 30+ random weirdos complaining there, I'd just rather have some more reasonable people here comment....while I wait 4 hours to download.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

Smoove_B wrote:Any word on the new camera / game view? Lots of complaints on the STEAM forums about how it's awful, obviously set for consoles, etc...

It's not that I don't trust 30+ random weirdos complaining there, I'd just rather have some more reasonable people here comment....while I wait 4 hours to download.
Started downloading when I woke up and now I am at work. Somehow I thought it would download automatically, but it is a brand new game. <sigh>

I will not be home until much later, as I am taking one of my daughters to get her cast off this afternoon. <double sigh>

And, the you tube videos of the directors cut look very nice. So we shall see.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I was really taking my time playing through this after it originally came out. I believe I was just about to get to California in my game when I heard about the upcoming GOTY/Directors Cut, and decided to stop. Then I heard that the saves wouldn't transfer. Sigh. I still didn't pick it back up and finish.

Now I need to decide, do I finish my first play through on the original version or start over in the Director's Cut version. Any help from people who have finished it, am I just a few hours from being done if I haven't gone to California yet? Or should I start over?
-something witty-
Jag

Post by Jag »

infinitelurker wrote:I was really taking my time playing through this after it originally came out. I believe I was just about to get to California in my game when I heard about the upcoming GOTY/Directors Cut, and decided to stop. Then I heard that the saves wouldn't transfer. Sigh. I still didn't pick it back up and finish.

Now I need to decide, do I finish my first play through on the original version or start over in the Director's Cut version. Any help from people who have finished it, am I just a few hours from being done if I haven't gone to California yet? Or should I start over?
I stopped at the same point with the intent of starting over. I think you are probably half way through at that point. I didn't like how I specced my party, so I don't mind starting again.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The last few areas of the game completely bugged out on me (quests not completing properly, etc), so I will be happy to replay it from scratch with a slightly different party setup (and yet, I will make an attempt to have coverage in all skills) when I get around to it.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:Any word on the new camera / game view? Lots of complaints on the STEAM forums about how it's awful, obviously set for consoles, etc...

Mr. Fargo has given word:

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/6 ... 0576806913
Brian Fargo
‏@BrianFargo

The camera issue on the PC will get addressed right away, ugh. Sorry about that. Hang tight.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What exactly is the issue - I read those twitter feeds but they didn't really say what the problem is.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Jag wrote:

Mr. Fargo has given word:

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/6 ... 0576806913
Brian Fargo
‏@BrianFargo

The camera issue on the PC will get addressed right away, ugh. Sorry about that. Hang tight.
So how bad is the 'camera issue'? What does it do exactly?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They apparently changed the angle/tilt and locked in the view at a close distance, presumably to help with framerate issues on consoles (?) or something. I have no idea. The claim is that it shows off the high quality textures better, but to completely remove camera distance for PC gamers is ridiculous and I have no idea how you release a Director's Cut version of the game and not a single person during testing raised that as a problem.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I think I'll wait a little bit for things to settle after release then restart my game. Have some mixed feelings because I was about to head to California and the first half of the game had some tedious parts. Then again I have a better idea about generating my party so off I go again into the wasteland from the beginning.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jag

Post by Jag »

$iljanus wrote:Then again I have a better idea about generating my party so off I go again into the wasteland from the beginning.
Do share, please.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote:They apparently changed the angle/tilt and locked in the view at a close distance, presumably to help with framerate issues on consoles (?) or something. I have no idea. The claim is that it shows off the high quality textures better, but to completely remove camera distance for PC gamers is ridiculous and I have no idea how you release a Director's Cut version of the game and not a single person during testing raised that as a problem.
I didn't beta but it's possible they forgot to toggle the camera lock off for the final build on the PC. So it tested fine with full camera controls but when they packaged the final version someone/everyone forgot to flip the switch for the PC.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The camera hotfix is already out on Steam. I started a new playthrough today (almost finished Arizona in the original game, and then put the game off to wait for this version), and I'm feeling the love all over again. This game has some of that old RPG magic that modern RPGs simply fail to capture.

Edit: Can confirm that the hotfix fixes the problem. I suspect that the Director's Cut was released with a limited camera by accident, which explains why they were so quick to get this fix out.
Insert witty comment here.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

How do you set the difficulty level? I looked in "Options" and it's there but it's greyed out. How can I change it? Or is there a bug with it?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I think you set it once at the beginning of the game. I also remember something about not being able to set it back from the highest difficulty level once you start on it.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

NickAragua wrote:I think you set it once at the beginning of the game. I also remember something about not being able to set it back from the highest difficulty level once you start on it.
Found it, it pops up once you start a game, strange that it is on the main menu.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just a note of warning. Attribute points have a different impact on derived stats than last time. I set up a character with the exact same stats but got one less action point. Now I have to rethink my character creation all over again!

Edit: Nevermind! I was wrong :?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Apparently the change in the camera between the original and the Director's Cut was deliberate, but they quickly realized that players weren't happy about it and reversed their decision within hours.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote:This game has some of that old RPG magic that modern RPGs simply fail to capture.
Best not enter any active Fallout threads with that attitude, mister!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
TiLT wrote:This game has some of that old RPG magic that modern RPGs simply fail to capture.
Best not enter any active Fallout threads with that attitude, mister!
I'll enter those threads with that attitude and armed to the teeth, thank you very much. :P
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good luck!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’m glad this is finally getting some love. This was my favorite game of 2014 and it seemed like most people were either choosing to wait or not interested at all. In my opinion this is far closer to a real Fallout sequel than anything Bethesda has produced.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lordnine wrote: In my opinion this is far closer to a real Fallout sequel than anything Bethesda has produced.
Enlarge Image
Wow, you guys must have a death wish.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lordnine wrote:I’m glad this is finally getting some love. This was my favorite game of 2014 and it seemed like most people were either choosing to wait or not interested at all. In my opinion this is far closer to a real Fallout sequel than anything Bethesda has produced.
I'd agree that it's the closest gameplay wise to F1 an F2. The Bethesda games did a great job with the Fallout atmosphere and lore.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Started my first game ever last night and played for about 4 hours. I'm to the part where you have a conversation about radio relays with a guy in a hat and sunglasses.

I think I'm going to have to restart tonight though. After reading some more character creation tips today I think I've spread myself too thin on skills.
It's not all a loss though, now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing I should be able to get to the same spot in about 5-10 minutes.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Is anyone trying this out on the consoles? Does the camera hotfix only apply to the PC version and not the consoles?
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Archinerd wrote: After reading some more character creation tips today I think I've spread myself too thin on skills.
Can you elaborate? I will be starting over as well with this new content and never really felt the party I went for about the same length as you did, was quite to my liking.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Keep in mind that most of the tips you will be reading come from people who played the original version. There are some pretty significant balance changes in the Director's Cut, particularly to combat. Any advice veterans give you is likely to be outdated, and maybe even plain wrong.

Any group of characters should be able to get through this game. The design goal was that as long as you didn't do something really stupid at character creation, a playthrough should be balanced for most groups.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't let min/maxing keep you from playing. I made that mistake the first time through.

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I get bogged down in character creation on these types of games. I often find myself trying to min/max characters and make sure I get every skill that will let me see every part of the game. It's exhausting and not fun and I ended up going to bed after only playing a few minutes of the actual game.

Today after thinking I decided that this is not how I want to approach this game. Instead I'm just going to build each character off of a theme and not worry about it. I'll be sure to hit a min requirement of medic skills, combat skills & lockpick, but other than than I'll just pick a few that fit with my vision for each character instead of trying to get every single base covered.

There seems to be some agreement to this too.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Archinerd wrote:I get bogged down in character creation on these types of games. I often find myself trying to min/max characters and make sure I get every skill that will let me see every part of the game.
If it helps, it’s actually impossible to see every part of the game in one play through.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

What does the Red Button do:

http://kotaku.com/it-took-a-year-to-fin ... 1735456665

Mild spoilers and very funny.
Last edited by Grifman on Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Interesting. I pushed a certain OTHER button and found the result HIGHLY rewarding. Always push random buttons you find, especially if they are in museums of antique relics. :D
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I've seen this compared to Fallout gameplay wise. How does it compare in story, player choice and quests?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Fitzy wrote:I've seen this compared to Fallout gameplay wise. How does it compare in story, player choice and quests?
Holds up pretty well, in my opinion. You get plenty of options for how you solve a particular problem, lots of easter eggs, etc.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

NickAragua wrote:
Fitzy wrote:I've seen this compared to Fallout gameplay wise. How does it compare in story, player choice and quests?
Holds up pretty well, in my opinion. You get plenty of options for how you solve a particular problem, lots of easter eggs, etc.
Supposedly it's beatable with any party composition. That sounds pretty ambitious, but I'll find out since I usually suck at that sort of thing.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

tgb wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Supposedly it's beatable with any party composition. That sounds pretty ambitious, but I'll find out since I usually suck at that sort of thing.
Well, not quite *any* party composition. The reality is that there is a *lot* of unavoidable combat, so you will need a combat-effective party, at least on the higher difficulty levels.

At least, it seemed unavoidable to me. Maybe there's a way to negotiate with the giant robotic scorpion.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

All the larger quests seem to have at least 2-3 solutions and variable endings. Even many of the smaller ones have multiple options for completion. What I particularly love is in true Fallout fashion; your actions throughout the game are remembered and can influence things that happen later on. Also, your end game epilogue will include a detailed explanation of all the people you saved or doomed by the actions you took.

While combat isn’t entirely avoidable, I would say you can skip as much as 40% of the combat in the game. That said, you may not like what you have to do to skip it. Being the “good guy” in Wasteland 2 does not equal non-violent. Some people you encounter are beyond salvation and to side with them equates to taking a bribe and lying to your superiors.