Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Island Dog

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Post by Island Dog »

Since this is a stand-alone expansion I figured a new thread is better than bringing back the old Sins one.

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/" target="_blank

GameSpy has a preview up - http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/sins-of-a-sola ... 036p1.html" target="_blank

Teaser trailer - http://youtu.be/u8DPCJ8mpXs" target="_blank
Little Raven

Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Post by Little Raven »

Wait...there's going to be MOAR SoaSE?!?

Last edited by Little Raven on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Little Raven wrote:Wait...there's going to be MOAR SotS?!?
No.

There is going to be more SoaSE.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Um......yeah.....
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In!
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I might be up for trying it if there are other newbs out there...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Little Raven wrote:Wait...there's going to be MOAR SoaSE?!?

LOL.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I never could get into Sins of a Solar Empire. In fact, I never bought any of the expansions for the game because I couldn't really see the appeal (in spite of playing at least a dozen games). I know most everyone liked it so I kept coming back to it to give it another chance, but it so rapidly went from "making strategic decisions" to "what the heck is going on" that I just couldn't enjoy it.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I threw money at them last year to get Rebellion. I kinda forgot it was even still in development. I sure hope they didn't lose my preorder. It was before the whole "impulse is now Gamecrap" thing...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Butterknife wrote:I never could get into Sins of a Solar Empire. In fact, I never bought any of the expansions for the game because I couldn't really see the appeal (in spite of playing at least a dozen games). I know most everyone liked it so I kept coming back to it to give it another chance, but it so rapidly went from "making strategic decisions" to "what the heck is going on" that I just couldn't enjoy it.
Yeah I was kind of in the same camp. I even bought the expansions and played with them a bit, but just never got grabbed like some people did. On the whole I think it's just a little too much RTS for my taste, but I'm happy they're still out there making new SoaSE games.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It plays like an RTS because...well... it is an RTS. :? That's like hating Skyrim because it plays too much like an RPG. :wink:
He won. Period.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

hepcat wrote:It plays like an RTS because...well... it is an RTS.
It's more of a mash-up between 4x and RTS... there's just more RTS in the mix than I prefer.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Doomboy wrote:I threw money at them last year to get Rebellion. I kinda forgot it was even still in development. I sure hope they didn't lose my preorder. It was before the whole "impulse is now Gamecrap" thing...
Rebellion orders stayed with Stardock. You can always shoot an e-mail off to support to check on it.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The full Rebellion trailer came out today.

http://youtu.be/og0aMApQCfU
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sepiche wrote:
Butterknife wrote:I never could get into Sins of a Solar Empire. In fact, I never bought any of the expansions for the game because I couldn't really see the appeal (in spite of playing at least a dozen games). I know most everyone liked it so I kept coming back to it to give it another chance, but it so rapidly went from "making strategic decisions" to "what the heck is going on" that I just couldn't enjoy it.
Yeah I was kind of in the same camp. I even bought the expansions and played with them a bit, but just never got grabbed like some people did. On the whole I think it's just a little too much RTS for my taste, but I'm happy they're still out there making new SoaSE games.
This.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

The way I got past the confusion was to make it strategic again by limiting the number of possible pathways between planets. That way I could get a gateway planet and protect it and then push outward from there.

Also, once I figured out how the money system worked, I started to get the game. Basically you need to max out your income by making the planets as habitable as they can, so they don't cost you money. And having the possibility of having a big fleet without actually having the ships also costs you money, so go slowly up the fleet techs.

One of the expansions added defense bases and minefields and whatnot so that it is actually possible to defend a planet when the pirates or bad guys come knocking. That was the last stumbling block in the game as far as I was concerned, and I started really loving it after that expansion.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you preorder now will you get access to a beta copy? Or is that not out yet?
He won. Period.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

hepcat wrote:If you preorder now will you get access to a beta copy? Or is that not out yet?
Yep, the beta is still open for pre-orders. :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

great, thanks!
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Island Dog wrote:
hepcat wrote:If you preorder now will you get access to a beta copy? Or is that not out yet?
Yep, the beta is still open for pre-orders. :)
Is most of the trinity experience there? I kind of want to pick this up, but I've never played the original sins, and I'm wondering if I should just buy and play this.

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I think it has all the other stuff from the other expansions. I played a game of Rebellion and could build defense stations and do the expanded diplomacy things.

It is still a beta though, so you can only play as and against the humans right now. At least that was still the case last time I played it a couple of weeks ago.
Freddybear

Post by Freddybear »

Doomboy wrote:I think it has all the other stuff from the other expansions. I played a game of Rebellion and could build defense stations and do the expanded diplomacy things.

It is still a beta though, so you can only play as and against the humans right now. At least that was still the case last time I played it a couple of weeks ago.
Beta 2 update was a few days ago. You can play as TEC or Advent.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Cool. I will booting it up again soon and giving the Advent a try!
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Here's the preview video for Beta 2.

http://youtu.be/FYZlTpsefyg" target="_blank
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I somehow missed this game the first time around. Is it worth the purchase?

I assume it's RTS with space fleets?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I always approached it as a Kohan type RTS in space. The pace is slower than your average RTS, and you don't really have to do much to control your fleet in battle. I just enjoy watching the carnage mostly, with the occasional order to attack a specific target or use a special ability. Mostly I don't even have to do that. The battles are pretty spiffy looking too.

With all the expansions added in, there is a lot of stuff to do. I have never actually taken the time to figure out the diplomacy options. There wasn't much diplomacy in the game when it first came out, and so I have never learned how it works. It has always been more fun for me in this game just fighting.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I ended up buying trinity for now, and am starting with the distant stars mod.

It seems much more 4x than straight rts - I'm enjoying it.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

So in my first real (Single-Player - Trinity) game, I'm playing a 1v1 against an easy AI with Pirates on. I've done alright, though I probably would have gotten creamed early if I hadn't stumbled upon a ship graveyard full of disabled ships that I was able to commandeer and build a fleet with. Paying a lot of bribes to Pirates has helped too. I can see how people would see them as overpowered and turn them off... though I'm looking forward to seeing how they play in a game with more factions.

Having gotten my economy going, I've had one fleet get munched in my first attack, but was able to fight off the counter thrust and have just launched a major offensive. It was rather fun taking out a starbase with my fleet (esp. as I hadn't figured out how to build one yet). It has gotten more RTS-y in the later stages, but in a 1v1 I'd expect that. It still has more of a Civ feel than a Starcraft feel though.

I'm about 4-5 hours into my first game and I expect to finish it off in the next hour or two, though I could be surprised and run into a system that wipes out my offensive fleet.

I also saw some mods that do more to expand the 4x pieces of the game, but I figured I'd stick with Distant Stars for now.

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

A minor patch was released with a bunch of fixes.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/422166" target="_blank

You can update via Steam.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Beta 3 released with the Vasari added!

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/424850" target="_blank

Beta 3 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdgP-1qPjNk" target="_blank
yakuza

Post by yakuza »

Is it worth it if we already have the expansions ? The only new thing is the Titans and the corvettes ?
Freddybear

Post by Freddybear »

yakuza wrote:Is it worth it if we already have the expansions ? The only new thing is the Titans and the corvettes ?
The races are split into rebel and loyalist factions with faction-specific tech/skills, and there is other new stuff besides the ships as well.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Release is tomorrow, so get your pre-order in if you have the earlier versions and want the discount. You'll have to buy from Stardock to get the discount, but they just give you a steam key afterwards...

And yeah, I stepped up after a few games of Trinity. Fun game.

tgb

Post by tgb »

I bought the original Sins and could never get into it, but the expansions make it more 4X-ey I guess. With the $10 discount, the Forum Effect is strong on this one, so I went ahead and ordered.

Don't make me hunt you all down.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

With this new expansion I'm closer to finding the love than ever before, but I still need a push. Can someone point me to a decent beginner's guide (i.e. first do this then do that)?
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

This should be of some use: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/374670

The main thing that I had to learn the hard way when I first started, is that not upgrading your colonies habitability all the way made me lose money. Once I started realizing that fully upgraded planets, even the crappy ones, didn't lose money, I got much happier.

Also build trading outposts and resource bases. The mining base sends miners out to each system that it is attached to. So if you get lucky with crystal asteroids, you can have a bunch of mining bases all picking up extra crystal for you.

One other thing I forgot to add, I like to set up my own random map generator. One that doesn't allow a lot of connections between systems. That way, I can build up a good "fortress" system that the bad guys have to funnel through, and I pack it with defenses.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Doomboy wrote:This should be of some use: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/374670
Perfect. Thank you.
tgb

Post by tgb »

This is a really dumb question, but prior to this I had only played Sins for like 5 minutes. Anyway, it seems like every system my explorers go to has ships that attack, but they aren't aligned with the A.I. factions. Are these supposed to be independent civs? Do I have to fight my way through every system?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

tgb wrote:This is a really dumb question, but prior to this I had only played Sins for like 5 minutes. Anyway, it seems like every system my explorers go to has ships that attack, but they aren't aligned with the A.I. factions. Are these supposed to be independent civs? Do I have to fight my way through every system?
Yeah there are independent pirates in most systems, with planets usually having a larger force. They only attack ships that comes into the system though. You'll need to build up your military a little and clear them out before you can colonize. Really though your starting capital ship should be able to handle most of those pirates on it's own with minimal damage. If it's a really well defended system you might need to take a few frigates along, but your capital ships are very strong compared to frigates.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sepiche wrote:
tgb wrote:This is a really dumb question, but prior to this I had only played Sins for like 5 minutes. Anyway, it seems like every system my explorers go to has ships that attack, but they aren't aligned with the A.I. factions. Are these supposed to be independent civs? Do I have to fight my way through every system?
Yeah there are independent pirates in most systems, with planets usually having a larger force. They only attack ships that comes into the system though. You'll need to build up your military a little and clear them out before you can colonize. Really though your starting capital ship should be able to handle most of those pirates on it's own with minimal damage. If it's a really well defended system you might need to take a few frigates along, but your capital ships are very strong compared to frigates.
I thought my first game would be easier while I learned the ropes if I tuned the pirates off, so I did. Should they still be there?