How about a new Baldur's Gate game?...possibly.....

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: How about a new Baldur's Gate game?...possibly.....

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote:Coming 9/18 for $20, $10 for iPad (but with less content, DLC optional). Seems a bit...pricey.

I'd love to find a bullet-point list of the additions/changes, but instead you get to surf through the site and figure it out yourself.

Looks like 3 new characters and a new area promising ~6 hours of game play.
20 bucks seems pretty fair to me.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Coming 9/18 for $20, $10 for iPad (but with less content, DLC optional). Seems a bit...pricey.

I'd love to find a bullet-point list of the additions/changes, but instead you get to surf through the site and figure it out yourself.

Looks like 3 new characters and a new area promising ~6 hours of game play.
20 bucks seems pretty fair to me.
Yeah, go ahead and take my money, please. They had me at "new Baldur's".
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I have easily spent thousands of hours of my life with the BG series: playing it, modding it, playing it again, testing mods and submitting bug reports, reading and posting on and running BG-related forums, and even reading and writing fanfiction.

It is the great gaming romance of my life, even though at the moment I've been seeking more mindless activities because my focus is shot.

Another $20 seems like nothing compared to the 12 years of pleasure I've already had.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
ericb

Post by ericb »

I was fine with $20 until I realized this was nothing more then BG1TUTU...or the like. No upgraded graphics, few new areas, one big game, BG2 classes and rules in BG1...sorry but I can already do that and it's a free download. I thought this was going to be a complete revamp with upgraded resolution and sound support and slightly better graphics not this:

"BG1Tutu is a project which brings the content from Baldur's Gate (or Tales of the Sword Coast) into the Baldur's Gate II engine. This allows BG1 to enjoy all the benefits of BG2 such as higher resolution, new races, classes and kits, dual-wielding, and much more!"

Not paying $20 for a few hours of added features, 3 new characters and bug fixes that were fixed 5 years ago.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

I don't mind. Aside from the content additions and updates into using a BGII ruleset, I think it is nice that the game could be installed and played out of the box without needing BGTutu or fixpacks. Besides, the game is going to be much more modder-friendly from what I hear, which could do some nice things for the Infinity Engine community.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

silverjon wrote:I have easily spent thousands of hours of my life with the BG series: playing it, modding it, playing it again, testing mods and submitting bug reports, reading and posting on and running BG-related forums, and even reading and writing fanfiction.

It is the great gaming romance of my life, even though at the moment I've been seeking more mindless activities because my focus is shot.

Another $20 seems like nothing compared to the 12 years of pleasure I've already had.

The Baldurs Gate series are the only games (besides IWD) that I have played at least 3 times all the way through. It is the only game I have ever modded and the BG forums were the first forums I ever visited.
Black Lives Matter
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

PC Preloads available now, courtesy of da'Blue's:
http://www.baldursgate.com/news_2012nov22.en.html" target="_blank

Also, it seems that the BG-II EE may be delivered in 2013. :coffee:

At the bottom of the page, hope rises due to the TBA Android variant...
( eh, I can dream... )
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I'll probably take a shot at the iPad version. I do only have the original iPad, but I'm pretty sure it's more powerful than the computer I originally ran BG on. Should be interesting to see how it works with the touch screen.

Also. I've seen reports that some mods made it into the game and that mods will work on the iPad. Anyone know which ones were included, if any, and if there really is a way to mod the iPad version?
morlac

Post by morlac »

Fitzy wrote:I'll probably take a shot at the iPad version. I do only have the original iPad, but I'm pretty sure it's more powerful than the computer I originally ran BG on. Should be interesting to see how it works with the touch screen.

Also. I've seen reports that some mods made it into the game and that mods will work on the iPad. Anyone know which ones were included, if any, and if there really is a way to mod the iPad version?
I believe they added some of the UI mods to bring the engine up to date on BG2. Also added unfinished quest and more NPC's IIRC.
tripcrow

Post by tripcrow »

Play starts I PM MST today.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

...or not
:\
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You have to solve for I.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What exactly is the difference between this release, and Project Eternity by Obsidian that was funded via Kickstarter? I am getting my Baldur's all mixed up.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Anyone know if you can import a BG1 game already in progress?

Ale
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Heh -looks like the demand killed the Beamdog servers. Now who would have expected THAT? :roll:

This is why I never, evereverevereverever pre-order, per-purchase, pre ANYthing. I've waited 14 or so years, I think I can wait another week until they get the bugs out, and the download server is actually functioning.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote:What exactly is the difference between this release, and Project Eternity by Obsidian that was funded via Kickstarter? I am getting my Baldur's all mixed up.
This is an update of Baldur's Gate. Project Eternity is a new game by the people who made Baldur's Gate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:What exactly is the difference between this release, and Project Eternity by Obsidian that was funded via Kickstarter? I am getting my Baldur's all mixed up.
This is the original Baldur's Gate, except with an engine upgrade and some additional content. Same familiar Iron Crisis plotline and FR setting though.

Project Eternity is a totally new game from-scratch, new rules, new universe, etc.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm struggling with the decision to buy this or not. I absolutely love the series, but I also absolutely get "too much of a good thing" syndrome when it comes to games. I would hate to buy and play this one, then be burned out on "BG" by the time Project Eternity rolls out. Admittedly, they are different games, but I assume they will look and play similarly.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You understand Project Eternity is a 2014 kind of thing, right?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yes.

You underestimate how long it takes me to play games these days though. Buy and install? I am all Business Boy when it comes to that...but actually putting some serious hours into a title these days (especially one like this that is epic in terms of hours required)? Not so much. 2014 sounds about right.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Other than PE being a party based RPG, I don't think there's going to be so much in common between it and Baldur's Gate that I'd worry about gaming burnout
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'll be going for the iPad version simply because I don't think I can justify paying money for a PC version which I can approximate through the use of the original game and mods for much cheaper. I also think I have a better chance of actually playing it on the iPad vs having it try to compete with Guild Wars 2. :D

Unfortunately it looks like the iPad version has been delayed at least a week. :(
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote:I'll be going for the iPad version simply because I don't think I can justify paying money for a PC version which I can approximate through the use of the original game and mods for much cheaper. I also think I have a better chance of actually playing it on the iPad
Excellent point. I think I will do that as well, which will further separate it from PE.

Hopefully they won't charge a premium for the iOS version. I can't see paying more than $20 for a game (especially on iOS) I have already played.

I guess the biggest concern is how well the touch based interface will work in an isometric, party based RPG.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Impressions? Anyone?
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Well the mobile os versions are both listed as $10 while the computer versions are $20. Looks interesting. This may prompt me to spend more than a couple of bucks on a mobile app. I can definitely see using this on my tablet but not my pc.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I said I would get the iOS version, but thinking further, I would really like to have some feedback on the UI first, and how well it works with that type of game.

Works wonderfully (maybe even superior) with adventure games, but this is a bit different.

Also, if they had to make any concessions wrt to graphics, or other things (i.e. the iOS is a cut down version of the PC format), not interested.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Also, if they had to make any concessions wrt to graphics, or other things (i.e. the iOS is a cut down version of the PC format), not interested.
From what I've read, this is not the case. Saw an interview with the developers and they did a lot of research to make sure the touch controls were spot-on. They also completely overhauled the old Windows code and Infinity engine to streamline it and make it run well on iOS. The impression I got from the interview was that they didn't cut any corners to port it to mobile.

I don't have firsthand experience because I haven't picked it up yet, but I'll try to nab it today.

[Edit] Oops nevermind, looks like iOS version still not out.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Excellent news, thanks for the update.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

There is a review posted at QT3 that really recommends against the $20 purchase for the PC version. Buggy with very few improvements over self modded version.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

After reading up on the features I couldn't think of any reason to get the PC version. If they IPad version is decent I can see that being worth it. I don't think we're going to see another game from them as I don't see this selling well. Doesn't seem to be much buzz about it anywhere. Maybe that will change when they finally get the IOS app out.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Octavious wrote:After reading up on the features I couldn't think of any reason to get the PC version. If they IPad version is decent I can see that being worth it. I don't think we're going to see another game from them as I don't see this selling well. Doesn't seem to be much buzz about it anywhere. Maybe that will change when they finally get the IOS app out.
It's a 14 year old game using a version of the D&D ruleset that has been surpassed by 3 major versions and one minor. It's not going to attract large new crowds.
Insert witty comment here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya but from what I'm reading it's not flying well with the people it should be attracting. I think I'm just going to back to the BG1+BG2 mod and be done with it. Doesn't sound like this is ever going to be worth it from what I'm reading.

morlac

Post by morlac »

I've put in about 8 hours on the PC version and have enjoyed my time. Albeit most of that was rolling up characters and working that reroll button which I find highly addicting. There are some minor issues with it. I have the disappearing mouse cursor but it is easily fixed by turning off mouse acceleration. The icons/UI by default look like shit blown up but they have already posted a one line .ini tweak to make them look a lot more crisp and not be so huge. The forums are awash with bug reports but besides the above I have had one crash to desktop and no other issues. They seem to be working diligently on fixing/tweaking things and the mod community should be very active for this. Which for a 14 year old game is pretty amazing. No idea how much money the developers have spent on this but if initial reports are good I think the ios version will sell like hotcakes. Zero RPG's of this magnitude and depth on that format. BG2 is regarded as the better of the two and I was going to skip this one and wait for it but felt the need to support this endeavor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well that's good I guess I'm just finding all the negative people right now. IF they can get a good version running on the IPad I won't be able to resist that. Sounds like I might be better off waiting for a few patches.

Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

They need to turn this subpar launch around, or else I fear future Infinity Enhanced Editions will not happen.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

From following this project on Twitter, I have reconsidered the iPad version. I only have a first gen, and it sounds like there are problems with memory. I don't know if they will find a cure or not.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That's pretty disappointing. From the interviews with the devs I read it sounded like they were really passionate about making a great game and that they were on top of it.

I'm pinning all my hopes on the idea that they poured all their efforts into the iOS version.
I only have a first gen, and it sounds like there are problems with memory.
My first-gen had memory issues (apps crashing constantly) back when it first launched. I can't imagine the horrors you'd run into today trying to run newer stuff.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I have a first gen and I want to toss it into a wall. It crashes ALL THE TIME. :grund:

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Apparently a new patch was released for the PC enhanced edition today. There's a huge list of fixes.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Pretty extensive bug squashing list. Good to see, downloading it now.