How about a new Baldur's Gate game?...possibly.....

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Stuie

Re: How about a new Baldur's Gate game?...possibly.....

Post by Stuie »

The enhanced edition is on Gamersgate now. That gives me reason to hold out for a future sale price. :)
PLW

Post by PLW »

Stuie wrote:The enhanced edition is on Gamersgate now. That gives me reason to hold out for a future sale price. :)
Coming to Steam, too, according to the developer's (Trent Oster's) twitter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Too late. I was waiting for the original PC release for so long that I got the bug. When the 'avoid' verdicts started rolling in, I fed the bug by starting up a GoG-install BGTutu run, and I'm having a blast. I haven't played the whole saga through since right after release, so by the time I'm ready again and considering which version to play, it'll be, oh, 2024.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

PLW wrote:
Stuie wrote:The enhanced edition is on Gamersgate now. That gives me reason to hold out for a future sale price. :)
Coming to Steam, too, according to the developer's (Trent Oster's) twitter.
For sale on Steam - $20. I've tagged it as a wishlist item.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Having never played this before I decided to give it a shot, because heaven knows my Steam backlog isn't big enough.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just bought the AD&D Anthology (including BG and BG2) from Gamersgate. Big sale, seven bucks.

I wanted to follow the directions posted at GOG for updating modding the old BG/BG2. However, the Pocket Plane site (which hosts the Unfinished Business mods for BG1 and BG2) seems to be incredibly slow. It's showing me 2 hours for a 6MB download, and it has been that way all day.

Are the latest versions of those mods available elsewhere?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I just downloaded it in about 15 seconds. Blackwyrm Lair does have fairly comprehensive mod mirroring.

http://dragonshoard.blackwyrmlair.net/download.php" target="_blank

It's not the latest version of BG2UB, but as long as you didn't have your heart set on playing UB with a Russian translation, you're ok with the previous one.

The version of BG1UB they have is unfortunately missing a lot of bugfixes and some additional content.

If you can't get the download straightened out, I'll do some digging later.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Excellent! Thank you.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

It took about 6 seconds to download BG1UB from Pocket Plane's location marked "Mirror 1" at home. If you can't get it, I could rehost it, or email it to you.

The other guy I thought was mirroring practically everything turned out to only have fairly obscure IE mods hosted.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thank you silverjon for sending me the files via Dropbox!

:D
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK, now I remember the old paralysis that always gripped me when starting a new BG game: what class to choose??

It's always tough for me to decide what character I think I'll want to be for the next however-many dozen hours. In the Elder Scrolls games you can tweak as you go, but in classic AD&D you are stuck with your choice.

Plus, now that the mods and enhancements bring BG2 to the beginning of BG1, I have all the sub-class kits to choose from too!

Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I've been wanting to finally play IWD2, but I know it will take me forever to decide on what to create for my party of 6.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:OK, now I remember the old paralysis that always gripped me when starting a new BG game: what class to choose??

It's always tough for me to decide what character I think I'll want to be for the next however-many dozen hours. In the Elder Scrolls games you can tweak as you go, but in classic AD&D you are stuck with your choice.

Plus, now that the mods and enhancements bring BG2 to the beginning of BG1, I have all the sub-class kits to choose from too!

Randomizer!
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya

How about Baldur's Gate in 3D?
http://kotaku.com/holy-hell-this-guy-re ... -511489475" target="_blank
Kotaku Article wrote: It took him seven years, but yesterday, game designer Drew Rechner finally released Baldur's Gate: Reloaded, a ridiculous mod that puts the entirety of BioWare's classic RPG—including the expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast—into Neverwinter Nights 2.
Mod available at:
http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794/?

EDIT: Dang link thingy... Fixed!
Last edited by silvaril on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grabbing that before someone tries to block it.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Holy shit.

That waterfall is spot-fucking-on.
wot?

PLW

Post by PLW »

Downloading now. So, the question is which refurb is better?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Some kind of legal issues for the Android / Apple version of the game:
Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards, Trent Oster President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games
I just checked and it's still on STEAM and Amazon Digital, but I guess it could just randomly disappear. Not that anyone is going to snatch it up for $20...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

A bit of an update this morning on RPS that doesn't sound good for their "Enhanced Edition" version of the original or plans to make Baldur's Gate III:
“The prognosis [for resuming work on Baldur's Gate] is mixed,” he admitted to RPS. “Best case, we can sort this out soon. Worst case, this could be in legal hell for a while. I like making games, but this contractual dispute bullshit keeps me up at night.”

As a result, the team hasn’t given up on Baldur’s Gate III, but the road to the pie-in-the-sky sequel just got a whole, whole lot rockier.

“Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is on indefinite hold, as is the current patch,” said Oster. “Baldur’s Gate III, we are still interested in the concept, but currently I’d say were very demoralized.”
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd love to know the details behind this legal issue he speaks about.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm guessing it's related to Atari going bankrupt and/or Wizards of the Coast not wanting to allow the use of the Forgotten Realms without ridiculous licensing fees.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm guessing it's related to Atari going bankrupt and/or Wizards of the Coast not wanting to allow the use of the Forgotten Realms without ridiculous licensing fees.
Or their push to limit the setting to the 'new' Forgotten Realms.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

How would this not all have been settled before hand?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, Atari went bankrupt in February or March of this year, so I'm imagining it took some time to circle the legal wagons and unleash the Doom Riders from WotC. I'd imagine once there was blood in the water, all previous contracts and agreements went out the window.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Blackhawk wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I'm guessing it's related to Atari going bankrupt and/or Wizards of the Coast not wanting to allow the use of the Forgotten Realms without ridiculous licensing fees.
Or their push to limit the setting to the 'new' Forgotten Realms.
The new or the new, new Forgotten Realms? :smile:

I was reading the blurb on the D&D Next preview book they are releasing at GenCon and it looks like it's getting reshaped again
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Smoove_B wrote:Well, Atari went bankrupt in February or March of this year, so I'm imagining it took some time to circle the legal wagons and unleash the Doom Riders from WotC. I'd imagine once there was blood in the water, all previous contracts and agreements went out the window.
Sounds about right. Beamdog presumably made their deal with Atari and now WOTC is in control and balking at the deal for whatever reason. Not sure how they could get it pulled from sale, though, unless there are clauses in the deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And here you go - pulled at the request of Atari legal:
"At the request of Atari legal we removed the game from sale on Beamdog and the App stores," Oster explained. "Atari is still selling the game through their channels. We're trying to remedy the situation and I'm hopeful we can come to an arrangement."
Crux

Post by Crux »

Did anyone grab that NWN2 mod posted earlier? Trying to grab it now but having trouble with the website...
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Varity

Post by Varity »

Crux wrote:Did anyone grab that NWN2 mod posted earlier? Trying to grab it now but having trouble with the website...
I've got it, but didn't find time for more than installation and a brief test, yet.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

After days of downloading it, during which I had to restart multiple times due to the files not being complete, I installed it according to the instructions, and tried to play it. Unfortunately, the camera was screwed up, and I was unable to set it in a position that would allow me to see the game. Most of the time, it was just black, with shadows for the characters. I don't know if you'll have the same issues, just wanted to add my experience.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
silvaril

Post by silvaril »

Heya
Crux wrote:Did anyone grab that NWN2 mod posted earlier? Trying to grab it now but having trouble with the website...
The link I posted above seemed to have issues with not appending the ? to the end of the URL.

I fixed it.

On top of that though, only one public server @Dallas seems to have the files in known good form at the moment.
Every other server states that it is Sync'ing at present.
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:After days of downloading it, during which I had to restart multiple times due to the files not being complete, I installed it according to the instructions, and tried to play it. Unfortunately, the camera was screwed up, and I was unable to set it in a position that would allow me to see the game. Most of the time, it was just black, with shadows for the characters. I don't know if you'll have the same issues, just wanted to add my experience.
There is a hotfix out to do with visual anomalies... On the same page as the downloads.
( also one for Imoen issues )
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Yeah, I installed that. Didn't fix it.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Montag

Post by Montag »

Are all the voice/sound effects in the NWN2 BG remake?
words
ChaoZ

Post by ChaoZ »

The Enhanced Edition is on sale on Steam: $5.
Sold! I'm just too lazy to go through my stuff to look for discs, not to mention my current rig has no disc drive built in.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Finally digging into this and I'm having a blast so far. I never played the first one and I'm just too lazy to install mods myself anymore so this is a real treat. My biggest issue right now is figuring out who I want in my party. It might seem silly, but I feel bad when I kick out characters that I know carry over into the second game. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Stuck this in the wrong forum. Moving it. This seems like the closes thing we have to a Baldur's Gate topic.

Divinity: Original Sin. Pillars of Eternity. Icewind Dale 2, Planscape: Torment, Torment:Tides of Numenera. I haven't played any of them, and what am I considering?

Baldur's Gate, which I've played the crap out of (although I only finished the series once.)

/edit - since I posted that, I'm finding it even more appealing. I've been wanting to play BG:EE, SoD, and BG2:EE as one long game for years now. Of course, that means character creation paralysis.

Sorcerer?
Rogue (Bounty Hunter?)
Rogue (Swashbuckler?)
Bard (Blade?)
Ranger (Archer?)

I really like the thought of playing a swashbuckler, but that's the same damned thing I played the first time through them back when they were released. I definitely like the idea of a light fighter. Paladin, cleric, druid, and monk - not even interested. One factor for me has always been that this is supposed to be a character that was raised by a scholar in the premier library in the world. Something like a druid just never really seemed to fit.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

My favorite character, who I took all the way through BG and BG II and expansions was a fighter, dual-classed to a cleric at level 9 (doing it as soon as the intro cutscene in Irenicus' dungeon ends in BGII). That basically maximizes attacks per round (by allowing you to max weapon specialization in the flail/morningstar) and hit points. Because the dual-class is carried out at level 9, it doesn't impact the character's long-term viability at all (and fighters don't really improve very much beyond level 9 anyway as I recall). Once I got out of Amn, I made a bee-line for that castle keep place where you get the flail of ages, then went straight for the tower/dungeon thing to the south (Watcher's Keep or something?), where I get the 4th head. At that point, I've got a guy getting 5/2 attacks per round or something ridiculous like that and taking apart mooks while inflicting horrible status effects and four kinds of elemental damage. And then casts cleric spells on top of it.

Not sure how I'd justify all that from a role-playing perspective, honestly. I guess being kidnapped and torture by some douche elf wizard may change a man's perspective on life.

I also did a play-through with a bow ranger. Good times. In BGI, bow-wielders are death incarnate. In BGII they get a little less useful as the bad guys start deploying stone skin and other defenses regularly. But as long as you bring Minsc and/or Korgan to hold down the front, you're good to go. Lot of good bows, too - the lightning bow, unlimited +2 arrow quivers, etc.

I highly recomend "BG2-TuTu", which basically lets you play through all of BG using the BG2 engine, and does it pretty seamlessly. And of course, you'll want to download the various fixpacks and "unfinished business" mods. And "banter packs". I've got a list somewhere, but it's several years out of date now, and people are probably still working on this stuff.

Edit:
Jan Jansen is pretty much the best.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've done BG TUTU before. This time I think I'm going to stick with the Enhanced Edition, include Siege of Dragonspear, and probably run the Gibberling's Tweaks Anthology (the various fixes, tweaks, and so forth updated to work with the EEs.)

Current thoughts:

Sorcerer? - I don't want a caster as my PC now that I think about it.
Rogue (Bounty Hunter?) - harder to justify from an RP perspective, especially since the beginning assumes you're young and not worldly.
Rogue (Swashbuckler?) - still a favorite, pretty much a fighter/thief, but without the dual class penalties.
Bard (Blade?) - Sounds interesting, supposed to be effective, and a bard certainly fits the beginning setup.
Ranger (Archer?) - This is mostly because it sounds like fun. I like archers as a concept.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure how useful the commentary is, but I played (and finished Baldur's Gate 2) as a Bard - a character class I'd never played before or since. I had an absolute blast, though I think so much of that is tied to the really awesome party / NPC options you have in the series. Either way, I wouldn't normally consider a Bard but it was pretty cool - including the special class quest chain.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sorcerer?
Rogue (Bounty Hunter?)
Rogue (Swashbuckler?)
Bard (Blade?)
Ranger (Archer?)

Ranger's out. The stronghold doesn't interest me that much.

Lesse, swashbuckler I know I enjoy. I've played one before.
Bard would be new, and the blade sounds like fun, although I'm concerned about survivability up close. Then again, I'd need a thief, and that would mean getting to try out NPCs I didn't need before.