[Kickstarter] The Banner Saga

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RMC

Re: [Kickstarter] The Banner Saga

Post by RMC »

I am color blind, so I hate some of the color decisions developers make.. The white on white I can see easily for some reason. But man, you put a purple flag next to a blue flag and want me to know who's who...I can't do it.

Also, I suck at team stuff in FP shooters, if the colors are not easily different. I kill my own guys all the time, some of it is just because I suck at FPS, but sometimes I really do think they are bad guys... :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

RMC wrote:I am color blind, so I hate some of the color decisions developers make.. The white on white I can see easily for some reason. But man, you put a purple flag next to a blue flag and want me to know who's who...I can't do it.

Also, I suck at team stuff in FP shooters, if the colors are not easily different. I kill my own guys all the time, some of it is just because I suck at FPS, but sometimes I really do think they are bad guys... :)
And sometimes I'm just an ass....
RMC

Post by RMC »

ibdoomed wrote:
RMC wrote:I am color blind, so I hate some of the color decisions developers make.. The white on white I can see easily for some reason. But man, you put a purple flag next to a blue flag and want me to know who's who...I can't do it.

And sometimes I'm just an ass....
Well yeah, but I am not going to admit that too often. :shifty:
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If you’re on the fence this might push you over. TotalBiscuit just ran his WTF on the game. Pretty positive but he also points out some of the problems he has encountered. Worth a watch.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Lordnine wrote:If you’re on the fence this might push you over. TotalBiscuit just ran his WTF on the game. Pretty positive but he also points out some of the problems he has encountered. Worth a watch.
Ah! Finally a reputable review. I'll watch that as soon as I get home.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

ibdoomed wrote:
Lordnine wrote:If you’re on the fence this might push you over. TotalBiscuit just ran his WTF on the game. Pretty positive but he also points out some of the problems he has encountered. Worth a watch.
What I don't understand is you own it, so why not just download it and try it out? Some times the reviews like a game and I don't or visa versa. I can get not buying a game because you don't know if you like it, but since you already own it....Just don't have the time?
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

IceBear wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
What I don't understand is you own it, so why not just download it and try it out? Some times the reviews like a game and I don't or visa versa. I can get not buying a game because you don't know if you like it, but since you already own it....Just don't have the time?
Just seems like it would take some serious time commitment to get into, instead of being a 5 minute game like the stanley parable.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Most people tend to check these things before buying a product, you know.

Oh well, a fool and his money, and all that...
Insert witty comment here.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

TiLT wrote:Most people tend to check these things before buying a product, you know.

Oh well, a fool and his money, and all that...
Yeah I don't remember kickstarting it and in fact until a couple days ago, I thought the banner saga was the name of double fine's game. I may have KS'd it when I was on ambien.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ibdoomed wrote:I may have KS'd it when I was on ambien.
So take another one and play a few hours. Problem solved. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Smoove_B wrote:
Lol. (For those who don't know, ambien causes ... something... I forgot what...)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ibdoomed wrote:
IceBear wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
Just seems like it would take some serious time commitment to get into, instead of being a 5 minute game like the stanley parable.
Did you think it was going to be a first person, exploration/adventure game like the Stanley Parable? While "just seems like it would take some serious time commitment to get into" is patently false, it's also not a casual, online flash game, a la Plants V. Zombies or Angry Birds.

Gob Bluth
"You've made a huge mistake"
/Gob Bluth
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ibdoomed wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Lol. (For those who don't know, ambien causes ... something... I forgot what...)
E.D.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm really digging the game but have an off the wall question:

Much has been made of the fact that choices are permanent, and that the save system has been set up to reflect that. Yet from the loading screen I can restore to the beginning of a day long past. So if I do, am I faced with the same choices and can I indeed select something else, or are the choices automagically resolved the way they were the first time through?

Has anyone gone back and tried replaying a day?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Well, I watched a few minutes of the review and was flabbergasted to discover that these developers don't care one bit for the hearing impaired gamers and ignored implementing subtitles. I really really wish I had not given them money.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you're trying to get into my Top 5 list of OOers I must meet before dying, it's working.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

ibdoomed wrote:
Well, I watched a few minutes of the review and was flabbergasted to discover that these developers don't care one bit for the hearing impaired gamers and ignored implementing subtitles. I really really wish I had not given them money.
:roll:

So far (up to Chapter 4) there have been about 45 seconds of voicework, some of which wasn't even in English, and none of which was plot-critical. You really sound like a moron.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

tgb wrote:I'm really digging the game but have an off the wall question:

Much has been made of the fact that choices are permanent, and that the save system has been set up to reflect that. Yet from the loading screen I can restore to the beginning of a day long past. So if I do, am I faced with the same choices and can I indeed select something else, or are the choices automagically resolved the way they were the first time through?

Has anyone gone back and tried replaying a day?
I have tried, and something interesting was that the events that occurred during travel ended up being different.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Some of the travel events are static (the drunkard, for example), and some are random. I don't know the ratio, though. I suspect it's more to the static end than, say, King of Dragon Pass, but I don't know.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Zurai wrote:
ibdoomed wrote:
:roll:

So far (up to Chapter 4) there have been about 45 seconds of voicework, some of which wasn't even in English, and none of which was plot-critical. You really sound like a moron.
Agreed, all actual dialog is subtitled...this is like complaining because the orchestral score isn't subtitled somehow. I think I have only heard maybe two lines of "text" during the background music that were actually in English.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
tgb

Post by tgb »

Anyone else here who pre-ordered still waiting for Tryggvi (bonus character) to show up? Not a biggie since I pre-ordered for the discount, but it would be nice to have.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RMC

Post by RMC »

tgb wrote:Anyone else here who pre-ordered still waiting for Tryggvi (bonus character) to show up? Not a biggie since I pre-ordered for the discount, but it would be nice to have.
He showed up very early in the game for me and I bought the night prior to release.
tgb

Post by tgb »

RMC wrote:
tgb wrote:Anyone else here who pre-ordered still waiting for Tryggvi (bonus character) to show up? Not a biggie since I pre-ordered for the discount, but it would be nice to have.
He showed up very early in the game for me and I bought the night prior to release.
I preordered the morning of the release. Maybe that's why (although it hadn't yet unlocked and I got the preorder discount).

Like I said, I only ordered the first day because I had an opportunity to grab it for $15.
tgb

Post by tgb »

RMC wrote:
Gamefly just issued an activation code for the bonus material, but I'm wondering, since he shows up "early" if I have to restart the game. I'm currently just starting Ch. 3.
RMC

Post by RMC »

tgb wrote:
RMC wrote:
Gamefly just issued an activation code for the bonus material, but I'm wondering, since he shows up "early" if I have to restart the game. I'm currently just starting Ch. 3.
Oh yeah, he is way before Chapter 3. It is right after you start with the Hunter and the girl, and after you get to the village.

That first fight is where I met him.
tgb

Post by tgb »

That's the start of Day 2, iirc. Maybe I can restore from that save point and he'll show up. If not, I'll just reinstall the game and start a new one. Thanks.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve just made it through chapter 6 and things are looking pretty bleak for my party. The atmosphere of the late game is really quite impressive in just how oppressive it is. My caravan is starving, I’ve been forced to abandon multiple villagers to their own fate and a recent event upset me more than expected from a game like this.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished the game tonight. Overall I’m pretty happy with it but the final battle pissed me off. The game is not easy to begin with but the ending goes from a steep hill to a sheer cliff. My party was just not equipped to deal with the “unique” win condition. After 4 failed attempts I had to drop the difficulty, and even then it was pretty hard for my party.

Despite my ending difficulties I would still give the game a solid 8/10. It's just a shame that with a little more polish and ending consideration, it could have gone from "Good" to a classic.

Some general strategy advice to avoid my trouble.
Spoiler:
Get at least two characters to armor break 3, preferably archers.
Very specific spoiler strategy advice.
Spoiler:
One of the archers NEEDS to be Alette or you will regret it in the final battle.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks! I love me some anti-frustration spoilers like that. Will follow that advice.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Lordnine wrote: Some general strategy advice to avoid my trouble.
Spoiler:
Get at least two characters to armor break 3, preferably archers.
Makes sense or at least is in line with my feelings so far.
Spoiler:
Now if I could just use archers effectively. Mostly they just hang around doing nothing spectacular so they are falling behind in XP.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I use archers primarily to drop armor and occasionally finish off foes who are down to there last couple of strength points.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kotaku is reporting that the makers of Candy Crush Sage are going after Stoic for their use of "Saga" in this game title.
On December 27, 2013, King.com filed a "Notice of Opposition" with the US Patent and Trademark Office. It says that because King has 13 trademarks with the word "saga" in them, Stoic's colourful strategy game isn't allowed to use the word.
Seriously? F- those guys and their candy.
tgb

Post by tgb »

In fairness it IS easy to get the two games confused. :roll:
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

From what I've read elsewhere, they may have 13 trademarks with "saga" in the name, but none of them are in the US.
kganey

Post by kganey »

Lordnine wrote:Finished the game tonight.
Hmm... I need to find some info on when the game ends. I've played through a little over 120 game days (11 hours per Steam) and I feel lost as to what I'm doing at this point. The story used to have pretty clear direction and now I feel like I'm just wandering without any hope.

So far, I have loved the art style and I really enjoyed the squad, turn based combat. But now that my party is out of food and I'm not sure where I'm headed and why, it feels depressing.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

kganey wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Finished the game tonight.
Hmm... I need to find some info on when the game ends. I've played through a little over 120 game days (11 hours per Steam) and I feel lost as to what I'm doing at this point. The story used to have pretty clear direction and now I feel like I'm just wandering without any hope.

So far, I have loved the art style and I really enjoyed the squad, turn based combat. But now that my party is out of food and I'm not sure where I'm headed and why, it feels depressing.
I’m going to guess you are very close to the end. It seems they really wanted to make you feel stretched to the limit near the end of the game. I’m a bit surprised you are up to 11 hours though, Steam says I finished the game in 9.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SEQUEL!
The award winning and BAFTA nominated saga continues in The Banner Saga 2. Continue your journey soon after the climactic events of The Banner Saga. The choices you made in the first game will affect who is alive and who is dead in this exciting sequel. As the world continues to crumble around you, only one bastion of hope remains, but getting there will require strong leadership, hard sacrifices, influencing new heroes, and, as always, sound strategy in combat.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, and I guess I backed it at high enough level that I got it for free.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It should probably have its own thread but... I've put about an hour into the sequel. It seems like they have addressed many of the complaints from the original and its a much better experience as a result.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good to know! I never finished the first one, even though I backed it. :oops: Just too much other shiny at the time I think, but it also didn't grab me like I thought it would.