NickAragua

Re: Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Hong Kong

Post by NickAragua »

You're going on the list.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Got a chance to play this a bit over the last week. Definitely a good time, the HBS guys really put a lot of effort into writing characters and quality runs. They've also definitely improved the AI so that individual enemies don't behave like retarded hyperactive cats all the time (the friendly AI still fidgets when there are no enemies nearby, but it's not too bad).

The only complaint I have is that there are like twenty NPCs in the "hub" area that all have these really long, detailed back stories which really breaks up the game flow from my perspective. When I do a run, I'm all pumped up and ready to go kick some more ass and the last thing I want to do is spend twenty minutes listening to a bunch of random shopkeepers and mooks bitching about their drug/family problems/bad dreams. The worst part is that they've tied karma rewards to getting through some of those conversation chains, so I feel like I have to do a lap around the block each time I come back from a run, lest I miss out on some sweet, sweet karma. It was less of a problem in Dragonfall because the NPCs ran out of stuff to talk about faster and there was no karma reward for listening to them, but these jerkoffs just won't shut up.

BTW, I found the "Looking for Decker" threads on the Shadowlands BBS comedy gold.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Beat the game. Overall impression is that it's a fun RPG. There's not too much in the way of tactical challenge, this is one of those games you play mostly for the story and the ability to solve problems in a variety of ways (Locked door with guards. Option 1: Have your decker generate a fake alarm. Option 2: Walk up and talk your way past. Option 3: Unleash an elemental monster on the guards from a nearby lab. Option 4: Just shoot the fuckers and blow the door open with explosives.)

Basically, I love doing the actual runs and wish there were more of those, as well as interaction between your teammates (on and off runs). There is some, but I'd like more. There's a little too much "shopkeeper back story". It's great that they put it there, as it shows care and attention to detail, but at the end of the day, I just want to buy some guns and get out of there, not hear your life story. A few minor bugs near the end screwed me out of ~1000 credits, but I still had enough to get the implants I wanted.

The new matrix thing is pretty fun. It's now a mix of sneaking past "Watcher ICE" and fighting regular ICE. You can also either batter down matrix doors (but cause an increase in "alert", which will spawn more ICE if it reaches the max) or try to hack past them in a pattern matching minigame. Thematically, I'll put it down to "people in Hong Kong use slightly different software".

The only serious issues I encountered was that the karma screen has horrible load times and the pre-mission inventory management screen for some reason needs to visibly refresh (which takes a little time) every time you move an item.

Some pro tips:
- Do the 'murder investigation' mission as early as possible. That's where you recruit Gaichu, and it takes some time for his 'special mission' to pop up. I put it off almost too long and nearly missed the chance to do his special mission.
- Charisma/etiquette checks are plentiful.
- 90% of the missions will be a lot easier with decking capability, not to mention you get the chance to lift paydata from the matrix a lot of the time.
- There is a surprising number of situations where drones come in handy outside of combat.
- There is a surprisingly small number of situations where mages are useful outside of combat. However, I still recommend bringing someone with "heal" and some buffs along.
- Conserve your nuyen. Don't spend it on weak weapons/armor, drugs or medkits. Save it for the good stuff.
- Visit the mage shop. The lady there sells "hermetic fetishes", which boost your stats at the cost of taking up inventory space (?)
- Even if you are a mage, there are some cybernetics which do not drop your essence, so consider investing.
- As a mage, if you splurge on body + cyber affinity (watch for the pips that give you +essence), you can actually install some more invasive cybernetics without losing spell slots
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Howdy
Im behind everyone, just starting DragonFall, Director's cut. The game tells me I can now pick who goes on missions with me and adjust their equipment. How exactly do I pick someone? Anyone I talk to says talk to me after the mission. I don't see a menu option to pick crew for the mission. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Freyland
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Freyland wrote:Howdy
Im behind everyone, just starting DragonFall, Director's cut. The game tells me I can now pick who goes on missions with me and adjust their equipment. How exactly do I pick someone? Anyone I talk to says talk to me after the mission. I don't see a menu option to pick crew for the mission. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Freyland
When you get on the subway to start a mission, you'll have the option to select your teammates and distribute items.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Zurai wrote:
Freyland wrote:Howdy

Thanks
Freyland
When you get on the subway to start a mission, you'll have the option to select your teammates and distribute items.
Well, that's certainly counter-intuitive! Thank you.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

For those who haven't kept up otherwise, the "Extended Edition" of Shadowrun Hong Kong came out a week or two ago. The main draw here is a bonus campaign that takes place after the main Hong Kong campaign. It's pretty solid, in my opinion. You get about five pretty lengthy and involved runs. Bring a decker. A rigger won't go amiss, either.

Then, I decided to try out the Caldecott Caper, UGC by the guy who made the Antumbra saga, a mod for Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall which I raved about previously. The writing is excellent, the combat is tough early on but then gets a lot easier near the end of the game. I was probably more invested in the characters in this UGC than I was in the Hong Kong guys. Again, bring a decker.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reinstalling. All I really know is I want my main character to be a decker...I think. Anything I should know about character creation? And do I make myself or a bunch? I played it all of an hour back in the day and dont recall this stuff. Want to be a little ready going in.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You just make your own character, and have fairly little control over the direction of your NPC buddies and hirelings.

Most of that stuff is pretty self explanatory or has good tooltips. You want to specialize rather than generalize - pick one "theme" for your character. Do you want melee? Guns? Standard magic? Summoning magic? "Eastern monk" melee? Stick to that, don't dabble in other stuff. The exception being you want to put some points into "body" so your character doesn't fall over from a stiff breeze and some points into "quickness/dodge" and "willpower" to help defend against physical attacks and magic respectively. And I like having some charisma so I can talk my way out of certain fights. But you'll definitely want to build around some kind of fighting style.
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I would not recommend generalizing a lot when spending Karma. You'll end up not being really good at anything in particular. You can check out the character creation guides that are out there. I think Steam has one if I recall right. Generally you'll want to pump the two main stats for your class and add some body points for HP when you can afford to. Maybe some speed as well when/if you can afford it. It depends of what class you play and what you specialize in within that.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh Ill be guns for sure.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Then you want Quickness/Ranged Combat/your gun of choice. Don't screw around with multiple gun types or other such nonsense. Put points into dodge and body as well. Don't make the mistake of thinking that that will enable you to use grenades well. Grenades go under strength/thrown weapons, so just sell any you find or give them to your pals and fill up on illegal drugs and medkits instead.

One other diversion of karma points that I would endorse is two pips into each of intelligence/biotech so you can see enemy hit points (not to mention you'll be better at medkits).
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is good info guys thank you. Ill go look up guns to see what I want to stick with.

EDIT: Looking online it seems to be the opinion of players....

Ranked better to worse...

Shotguns
Assault rifles
Pistols
SMGs

Was going to role a Human but people online say stuff like "suckers pick Human" hmmmm.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I played a Decker in all the other Shadowrun games Ive played. I enjoyed having the extra skill for cyberspace.....unlocking chests and doors and such and staying alive in it. I could always use guns too . But Im wondering if I could make it easier on myself in this game if I go Street Samurai. Im guessing it would be the reverse? Really great with guns but just enough cyberspace skills to do the little things?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Depends on which campaign you're playing. In Berlin and Hong Kong, you can get away with being a decker. In Dead Man's Switch, you cannot, in my experience. Given the "specialize, don't generalize" theme, I would suggest sticking to guns and just hiring a decker for your runs.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just have the base game and no addons so Im guessing its Hong Kong.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Base with no addons is Dead Man's Switch. Berlin is Dragonfall, Hong Kong is... well, Hong Kong.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looked for some portraits but seems this game has hardly any support.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Looked for some portraits but seems this game has hardly any support.
Really? I recall downloading a ton of portraits (sorry can't remember where now) and I'm pretty sure they tell you how to make one from any pictures you might find somewhere. If you are Goggling this is probably with "Shadowrun Returns" rather than Hong Kong
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Going to look again. Musta been using hong kong. Hope so because this game has to have a good portrait. the ones in it do not match what I want to look like and theres only like 5 with a couple of those simply having 2 alt styles.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hmmm...looks like it was a mod to get them in the base game so those portraits I downloaded might have been for user content. That said I found a YouTube video for adding custom portraits in Hong Kong

https://youtu.be/OIRq-Vslg4A
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thnx Ill check it. The only 'pack' I found is this one..

http://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrunreturns/mods/73/?

May just have to settle for default ones and have my portrait look nothing like my character :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Thnx Ill check it. The only 'pack' I found is this one..

http://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrunreturns/mods/73/?

May just have to settle for default ones and have my portrait look nothing like my character :)
You can definitely add your own. I know that I took an image from the Shadowrun pen and paper game that I use for my Street Sam and imported it into Shadowrun Returns and Berlin. It's just been sooooo long ago now that I can't remember what steps were involved

When I said pack...I just remember finding someone with a zip file of image files that I downloaded (actually several of them) and then there was a process to get them in the game
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk, if you haven't been to the bargain forum, make sure you check this out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:Going to look again. Musta been using hong kong. Hope so because this game has to have a good portrait. the ones in it do not match what I want to look like and theres only like 5 with a couple of those simply having 2 alt styles.
It has Steam Workshop support. Did you look there?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It has Steam Workshop support. Did you look there?
No...I never remember Steam workshop.....well except for the wallpaper engine app.

Daehawk, if you haven't been to the bargain forum, make sure you check this out.
The only money I have right now is in Steam.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As much as Ive always enjoyed playing a Decker class it seems in this game I will be playing a Samurai and simply grind a bit and hire a Decker for my group. From reading it seems a good group will be 2 Sams, 1 Deck, and 1 Sham.

I plan to use a shotgun and an assault rifle. Shotty up close and for kneecapping and assault for ranged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh wait...just remembered ...1 gun skill...guess Ill go assault rifle. Looking for a build guide now for karma ...not sure what is best now
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

It doesn't really matter much. I played through all 3 games without knowing what I was doing and it was fine. The combat is simplistic, but fun enough to stay interesting. Unless you are going to a higher difficultly, I doubt you can hurt yourself with your builds. Maybe a group with no combat skills would struggle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really game!?? No plain old goatee? Beardless it is then.

If I save karma points and dont use them will they add up over time or do I lose them on next lvl?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fun so far. Looks like a good story. I just visited the alley where Sam was killed. I get a huge feeling of nostalgia. Its like the old SNES and the Genesis games but with 100x better graphics.

Is there no map I can open up? I have to zoom out and scroll around looking for the little pip icon to know where to go. Bit cumbersome.

Oh and interactive spots dont stay showing up a lot. They show up if I see one and hover over that one. Then the others will show up. Is there a key I can press to show hotspots?

Im playing a non compromising good guy. I dont smartass people. If a thug Im fighting stops and begs for mercy I klil him. And if someone offers me money after Ive helped them I turn it down.

Never mind on the hotspots. One of the tool tips it displays on area loads says to hold down the ALT key for that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well shit why cant you access your stash anywhere in game? Most RPGs allow you to change armor and weapons and such but not this one. You have to go to the store or a locker to do it. Thats silly and non intuitive. If I want to change stuff around I should be able to do that anywhere.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because it's a stash, not a backpack.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Right, you're a seasoned pro, not a random peasant hauling around a backpack full of goat testicles.

But yeah, you need to plan your consumable use and equipment out ahead of time. There is one exception, which is that if you pick up a consumable on a run, you'll have the opportunity to put it into an empty equipment slot or send it to your stash.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive noticed I dont carry ammo. Are grenades the same? Just slot it and can just toss them forever or do they run out after 1 toss?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Grenades are one shot and done. Remember that their accuracy and range depends on your strength/throwing weapons, so if you're using firearms you won't be too hot with grenades.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. I noticed I could have extra options with the fence if my STR was higher. Im at 4. Should I up it a little to like 6 for those options? Im guess Id get better prices.

2. Im putting points into rifle, quickness, body and a couple others that help with ranged or help me avoid being hit. Would I have enough karma over time to invest in shotguns too or would that just be a waste as I seem to be doing ok with assault rifles.

3. Anything else I should raise in stats? Im avoided all stats that have to do with cyber or magic.

4. Implants...any I need? Im thinking of the data link but Im not a decker or rigger. The others Im considering would add defense or hp.

5. The stuff I take with me at all times is gun, grenades, and health packs. Is that a good thing?

6. Finally..I have Paco with me. But I have no idea if he will stay or who will join. Should I equip him or others when they join? He seems ok wit ha bat and a SMG.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

1. I don't know that I'd spend 11 karma just for a couple hundred extra nuyen. But it's up to you.
2. No secondary weapons.
3. Charisma might help you negotiate a little bit better, willpower helps defend against magic attacks.
4. If you're running a pure street sam, load up on cybernetics. I recommend the leg mods (the ones that give +quickness +hp, something alpha, I forget what they're called). There's also the enhanced eyeball for flat accuracy bonus.
5. I would ditch the grenades and add trauma kits. Never know when one of your team mates is going to take four crits to the dome and keel over.
6. Don't give party members expensive weapons (and I don't think you can switch their armor out anyway, but don't give it to them either), they might just walk off with your hard-earned loot. However, feel free to load up their equipment slots with grenades and medkits. Use up the stuff they brought first though, it "recharges" between missions.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good info thanks! Been a fun game so far. Really smacks me in the face of a better Genesis version :) I loved that game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have found myself as I play reading the dialogs and my responses and stuff like some old film nior detective / pi thing. Like Mike Hammer or Picard and Data in SF holodeck adventures.

Not super happy with the party system in this game. The come and go whenever type. I prefer to have my own party that I make and stay with me that I can equip.