Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Hong Kong

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: [Kickstarter] Shadowrun Returns

Post by stimpy »

So is the general consensus that none of the user mods are worth it at this point?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No I played a few that were quite promising. The issue was they were short first parts and I had to wait for more. I can't remember the names now, but just tried the top ranked ones on Steam workshop. I need to revisit some of them, but too busy with the new Divinity game
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm a big fan of the Shadowrun Unlimited mod. Rather than following one storyline it's a collection of randomized elements that simulate a Shadowrunners career.. a little more like the P&P version.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah I liked that one too.. Had promise but back when I was trying it... Last year maybe... It got a bit repetitive but I know he was working on that
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just had a TPK in what I believe to be the last fight. As with so many other things, there's apparently a trick to it, so I'll have to focus on the lynchpin with a bit more gusto, as it seems like the minions are on a constant respawn category.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Isgrimnur wrote:Just had a TPK in what I believe to be the last fight. As with so many other things, there's apparently a trick to it, so I'll have to focus on the lynchpin with a bit more gusto, as it seems like the minions are on a constant respawn category.
Yeah that one has a few tricks to it.
Spoiler:
If it's the last fight with Jessica Watts there are two ways to do it. The easiest and fastest way (if you have the firepower) is to concentrate everything you've got on Jessica. Once she gets down to low health, she'll run away and the mobs will stop spawning from the pillars. Then all you have to do is clean up the remaining critters and it's over. The longest way is to take out all of the pillars so they stop spawning first. You can only damage them on a turn when they open up and a mob comes out. Each time a pillar gets destroyed, Jessica becomes weaker. Once they are all destroyed you can then concentrate on Jessica and her sidekick.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
I've got Coyote to work on the pillars, and was able to actually stay one step ahead of her so she couldn't heal. I downed her a couple times, but I just couldn't survive long enough take out all the bugs, as if you lose two of the bug spirit killers, there's literally no way to finish them off.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Ain't nobody got time for that
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

So, Harebrained has just unofficially announced (via youtube) some interesting news. They are working on a stand-alone Director's Cut version of Dragonfall which will be released this fall and will include enhancements based on gamer feedback and what they wanted to improve in the game. They also said that all those that have purchased Dragonfall up to today will receive the enhanced stand-alone version for free. Pretty cool. Official announcement to follow later (I think they said next month).
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
malchior

Post by malchior »

I am definitely psyched for this - Dragonfall was excellent so more of it is welcome. I'm also very impressed with Harebrained at this point. They delivered a quality product and are actively supporting it.
Delraich

Post by Delraich »

Uff. Just started the dragonfall campaign. Will probably finish it regardless of the DC; really enjoying it. The writing is excellent, the setting feels very rich and the combat works well. I do not see why the game needs a director's cut, wasn't it like a fully funded Kickstarter game? What are we playing now, was not Harebrained the Director already :? I would prefer if there was new content in the pipeline.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Delraich wrote:I would prefer if there was new content in the pipeline.
This is new content. I take it you haven't read their press release. You really should before complaining, as it tells you everything you need to know, including the fact that there are new missions and new storylines in the updated campaign.
Insert witty comment here.
Delraich

Post by Delraich »

Yes, there is new content. But I mean, I doubt whether it makes me want to play the whole campaign again. We'll just have to wait and see. The official announcement will be later.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Delraich wrote:Yes, there is new content. But I mean, I doubt whether it makes me want to play the whole campaign again. We'll just have to wait and see. The official announcement will be later.
This. I am not sure I have enough time to replay a campaign with the extra's. I finished both of the campaigns, and never went back to the first one to replay even though they added the save features and other new things.

<shrug> The story is still the same, and while I enjoy the setting and the game, not sure I would want to play something over again. Too many games, and too little time.

I would also like to see a totally new campaign, with the new things in it, and I would pay for it as well. I like to support companies that support the product, but I also like new stuff and am willing to pay for it. :mrgreen:
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
PLW

Post by PLW »

I', psyched about this, since I played the orig. campaign on my tablet, and I haven't wanted to rebuy it on my PC just to play Dragonfall.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Help! Sorry if this has been addressed but I just started the game with no experience in Shadowrun. I'm at the point in the first campaign where you unlock the underground shelter.

I think I may have already spread my points way too thin and I'm wondering if I should just restart. I picked a Decker, but have put points in Rifle, Shaman for summons, conjuring, magic for heals and some other stuff. I was reading the jack of all trades don't work well in this game, but since I really don't know the synergies, I can't figure out which path to go. I get the sense I need to pick a specific play style and stick with it.

I think I'd like to play someone who has good combat skills, but can heal too. Any ideas? Should I restart??
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, you have spread yourself too thin...Make a Street Samurai specialized in assault rifles or shotguns

I'll be honest, I have either played a full on mage or shaman or a sammy when I've played the game so it's possible that it is doable. I know in Pen and Paper once you've gone cyberware, magic is less useful for that character but not sure about in the crpg.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Ok what about healing? Do I just need to stack up on expensive medkits?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To start. There will be later missions where you will have team members with their own kits and spells.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I started (the original) as an Elf Roboticist - which kicked me off with a simple drone ally. I haven't made it through yet (I get distracted easily). From there I invested mostly into making sure I could get rewards, really. I saved Karma until something needed it. Most of my combat was done by drone and mercenary anyway, and I kept up my drone skills to buy better ones as the market made them available. The one oddball thing I added was a point into magic so I could cast healing - seemed essential.

Oh, that door requires Decker 5? I guess I've got that now. What? This guard wants to chat in Corporate etiquette? Yeah, I'm Charasmatic enough for that... :mrgreen:

I can't say how well that's going to pan out as a long-term strategy.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: Just a heads-up for those interested

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director’s Cut is a standalone release of Harebrained Schemes' critically-acclaimed Dragonfall campaign, which first premiered as a major expansion for Shadowrun Returns. The Director's Cut adds a host of new content and enhancements to the original game: 5 all-new missions, alternate endings, new music, a redesigned interface, team customization options, a revamped combat system, and more - making it the definitive version of this one-of-a-kind cyberpunk RPG experience. NOTE: The Director’s Cut is free to existing owners of the Dragonfall expansion for Shadowrun Returns. It will be automatically added to your Steam Library when the game is released.

and SRR is on sale @ $3.74
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tough with this and Wasteland 2 coming out within a day of each other!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Now available.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yep, d/l this afternoon. Plan to start it up and play after Wastelands 2.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut .. PATCHED today

Release Notes 2.0.6
October 22 - Harebrained Schemes
Release 2.0.6 contains a variety of Shadowrun Dragonfall - Directors Cut campaign fixes and general system improvements. If you are encountering any campaign issues in Dragonfall, please update to build 2.0.6 immediately. (To update, restart Steam and then allow Shadowrun Returns to fully verify and download the new build.)

If you are experiencing a campaign-related issue, you may also need to restart your current scene (select "Restart Level" from the PDA) or rewind (select "Rewind" from the PDA save screen, then select a previous level) to before you encountered the issue in order to resolve the issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:coffee: (patch notes)
Spoiler:
New Features, Improvements

General UI improvements.
Minor AI improvements.

Bug Fixes

Resolved issue that caused Ability Tray arrows to be shown when incorrect number of items are available for use.
Resolved issue that caused actor gore to spawn when actor was killed via trigger.
Resolved issue that caused actors to lose the flushed from cover debuff.
Resolved issue that caused Armor effects to be applied in Matrix combat.
Resolved issue that caused blood splatter to apply on walls when attacks were blocked by armor.
Resolved issue that caused Broken Free Spirits to lock up the game.
Resolved issue that caused clear all and confirm all options to not work as intended for team advancement UI.
Resolved issue that caused Essence Buffer to not be used under certain conditions.
Resolved issue that caused Female Trolls to not have a sprint animation.
Resolved issue that caused Gargoyles to play incorrect animation after saving and loading.
Resolved issue that caused healthbars to flicker when taking damage.
Resolved issue that caused IC Healthbars from updating correctly.
Resolved issue that caused icons and waypoints to show on top of the Hiring screen.
Resolved issue that caused idols to not be removed when Charisma was removed.
Resolved issue that caused incorrect UI scaling in main menu.
Resolved issue that caused multiple interactions to stack on an actor.
Resolved issue that caused old saves to fail to load if they contained propdefs that no longer exist in the latest scene.
Resolved issue that caused Overwatch to not be saved in the Matrix.
Resolved issue that caused Players to gain Idol with incorrect stats.
Resolved issue that caused snow VFX to draw under props in certain circumstances.
Resolved issue that prevented Mindwipe, Confusion, and Blindness spells from effecting new AI.
Resolved issue that prevented number 4 from selecting third equipped weapon.
Resolved issue that prevented Overwatch from being used on touch and double click input settings.
Resolved issue with new AI being set to non-hostile team.
Fixed BHM causing spaghetti monster.

Bug Fixes: Dragonfall Campaign

Added new Shadowlands posts.
Added Player agency to ending conversation in the Engineer mission.
Cleared up mission objectives in Apex Rising mission.
Improved Haven staging after watching DVDs.
Improved staging for end of Settling Debts mission.
Rescued clones in Bloodlines mission can now be seen outside.
Resolved communication issues around different Settling Debts outcomes.
Resolved issue that allowed Apex to jack out or the Matrix in Apex Rising mission.
Resolved issue that caused a Cyberdeck to not reset to back in the Drug Pit mission.
Resolved issue that caused Achievement “Unintended Consequences” would not unlock.
Resolved issue that caused conversation icon to appear over a dead actor in Sewers mission.
Resolved issue that caused conversation to exit unexpectedly in Panacea mission.
Resolved issue that caused Dante to wear player outfits.
Resolved issue that caused Dragonslayer Focus upgrade to not be applied.
Resolved issue that caused Eiger not to follow the Player at the end of the Engineer mission.
Resolved issue that caused Environmental Summon in MKVI mission to use incorrect character sheet.
Resolved issue that caused Grenade Launchers to be equipped with incorrect stats.
Resolved issue that caused incorrect armor values to be set in Feuerstelle mission boss fight.
Resolved issue that caused incorrect Buff text to appear when Bliss Injector is used.
Resolved issue that caused incorrect conversation options to be given in Apex Rising mission.
Resolved issue that caused incorrect conversation to show if tenants were killed in Apex Rising mission.
Resolved issue that caused incorrect story variables to be set in Feuerstelle mission.
Resolved issue that caused interact to incorrectly persist in Earwig mission.
Resolved issue that caused Luca Duerr to stay in the Kreuzbasar after telling him to leave.
Resolved issue that caused Marta to not take cover if engaged in combat in Feuerstelle mission.
Resolved issue that caused Monika’s Persona to spawn with incorrect skin.
Resolved issue that caused music in Feuerstelle mission to not loop correctly.
Resolved issue that caused NPC to have incorrect conversation if the Player had no accepted missions.
Resolved issue that caused optional objectives to be unlocked incorrectly in MKVI mission.
Resolved issue that caused Player to be unable to complete optional objective in MKVI mission.
Resolved issue that caused Player to hear the same prophecy multiple times.
Resolved issue that caused Player to potentially miss out on a conversation about a story character.
Resolved issue that caused Player to receive duplicate mission items in the Engineer mission.
Resolved issue that caused Player to say an actors name that they did not learn in Settling Debts mission.
Resolved issue that caused Player to threaten an NPC in Apex Rising with no prior knowledge concerning the threat being made.
Resolved issue that caused Players max AP to be reverted back to 2 AP in Feuerstelle mission.
Resolved issue that caused Players to be able to use Cyberware Deactivator more than once.
Resolved issue that caused Players to become locked out of Matrix boss fight in Settling Debts mission.
Resolved issue that caused previous mission objectives to be active in Apex Rising after completing main objective.
Resolved issue that caused trigger lock to prevent Player input in Settling Debts mission.
Resolved issue that caused triggered autosave to fail in Trial Run mission.
Resolved issue that caused triggered autosave to fail unexpectedly in Settling Debts mission.
Resolved issue that caused unexpected behaviour when saving and loading in Apex Rising mission.
Resolved issue that caused waypoint in Feuerstelle mission to not be activated.
Resolved issue that could leave players movement blocked in Beneath the Kreuzbasar.
Resolved issue that prevented a story character from being present in alternate ending.
Resolved issue that prevented accepting Eiger’s trust mission if Humanis mission was not completed.
Resolved issue that prevented hostile Riggers in Settling Debts mission spawning with their Drones.
Resolved various spelling and grammar mistakes.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I've been playing an unusually good piece of "user generated content" in the Dragonfall director's cut recently, called "The Antumbra Saga". It used to be three separate campaigns, but was merged for the director's cut. Right off the bat you know it's good because the creator actually did some proofreading. I know I keep harping on it, but it really bugs me when I'm supposed to be immersed in a campaign and there are misspelled words and glaring grammar errors everywhere. The first two parts were good but not great, and then the third part is just completely awesome. It follows Dragonfall's hub-and-missions model, there's banter between the various shadowrunner NPCs that you can take with you and there are usually multiple ways to solve a given problem. Good stuff.

I only ran into a couple of bugs but nothing gamestopping as it turns out. A lot of the fights are actually pretty tough, and you'll really need a good grasp of tactics to pull through. The major fights also have a matrix component to them which tends to really pay off if you can hack your way through it.

Right now, I finished up a major "boss" fight,
Spoiler:
which is basically a giant three way rumble between you and your guys, a bunch of elves and some trolls (which may or may not show up depending on a choice you make way the hell back). I honestly wasn't confident I'd make it until my hacker finally took over some turrets and a helicopter, not only freeing her to return to combat but also taking the pressure off my other beleaguered runners who were having to face off against endlessly respawning elves AND a nasty troll group (the allied forces were mostly useless as per normal). It even got to the point where I had one of my guys blow all of his one-use summoning totems.
I guess the trick with summoned creatures is to really get them into the middle of a pack of enemies ASAP, because if your summon goes nuts, they're still hostile to the other bad guys so at least they'll take some fire and maybe disrupt the enemy formation.
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: I noticed this mentioned on my STEAM news for SRR .. I repost in case there is interest

From PC GAMER ....... SRR - Kickstarter
The latest Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter update has unveiled the first piece of concept art for Harebrained Schemes' next Shadowrun game. Word of the new game first surfaced by way of an October job listing that mentioned "our next Shadowrun game," and the studio confirmed that it was in the works in a separate update posted last week.

"Here's a piece of look & feel concept art for our new setting," the studio wrote in the brief update. "We'll show how it translates into Shadowrun's isometric gameplay view when our Kickstarter launches in January!"

Commenters noted that the image could indicate the game will take place in Tokyo or Shanghai, but the great likelihood is that it will actually go down in Hong Kong. RPG Codex noticed that the filename of the teaser image on the Shadowrun Universe website is "HK-KS-Teaser," and also pointed out that Hong Kong came in a close second in the "2nd City Survey," ultimately won by Berlin, that determined the setting for Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Going by the Shadowrun Wikia, Hong Kong—the Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone, in game parlance—sounds like a pretty interesting place. Overcrowded, violent, and utterly in the grip of unchecked corporate powers, perhaps, but isn't that just about exactly what you want from a pseudo-cyberpunk RPG? It sounds like a pretty good bet to me.
A Preview of Our New Setting: Coming to Kickstarter in January 2015!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just getting started on my Shadowrun Returns game. Didn't want to clutter up my "which RPG?" thread with details of one specific game so I thought I'd bring my comments here.

I'm enjoying it so far. Very linear, very simple, everything is laid out in front of you, you just have to click it. Just what I wanted after the open world running around of Kingdom of Amalur. The writing is uncommonly good I think. It's got that old detective novel feel that borders on cheesy but works anyway. In fact the story is much more interesting than the game mechanics by a long ways. I feel more like I'm playing a whodunit rather than an rpg. The Shadowrun backdrop is interesting to me as it's my first exposure to it. I'm not completely sold on it (the magic/tech isn't quite working for me, but almost) but it makes for an interesting setting of the whodunit. It's pretty clear early on what's going on, but it's still fun to bribe police and investigate crime scenes (as linear and straightforward as it is).

Just about to return the the transport safety warehouse but I need to gather a team first. Hopefully Mr. Fixer can hook me up. Just got back from rescuing coyote's cousin. I made a mistake in the dialogue tree and ended up kicking the hornet's nest before I even got inside. Was a fun shootout and almost lost Paco to a Shaman but managed to turn it around. Only 1 grenade used (completely missed) and 1 medkit used (probably didn't need to but I didn't know how many more guys were coming).

The little side plots keep the game from being completely on rails, which helps mix it up just enough that I don't feel completely railroaded. Karma coming in at a good pace. Need a second smg for when I run out of ammo with the first. Reloading uses a precious AP whereas switching weapons does not.

I can't recommend it as a primary rpg for anyone. It's too simple (and short apparently) but for me, playing an hour or so a night, it's almost perfect.

Having fun.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dragonfall, which is now available as standalone, is supposed to be much more open and less on-rails. Last Steam sale had it at $6. There's also the Steam Workshop for fan made stuff.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Dragonfall, which is now available as standalone, is supposed to be much more open and less on-rails. Last Steam sale had it at $6. There's also the Steam Workshop for fan made stuff.
Yep, I own that one as well. I'm perfectly happy to follow these rails to the end of the line. Others might feel differently.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rails and open world each have their appeal, and each has its strengths. Sometimes I find myself in the mood for a world to explore, while other times I like simply kicking back and being part of a good story.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

GreenGoo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Dragonfall, which is now available as standalone, is supposed to be much more open and less on-rails. Last Steam sale had it at $6. There's also the Steam Workshop for fan made stuff.
Yep, I own that one as well. I'm perfectly happy to follow these rails to the end of the line. Others might feel differently.
I've got a friend who complains all the time about how games are "linear", but then give him a game with choices and he gets decision paralysis and quits after the tutorial.

Anyway, I liked both of them quite a bit. If you blow through Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall and feel the need for more Shadowrun, I highly recommend the Antumbra user made campaign.
Black Lives Matter
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Is there a manual for Shadowrun Returns somewhere? I need to obsess over character creation before I actually play. :)
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Is there a manual for Shadowrun Returns somewhere? I need to obsess over character creation before I actually play. :)
There is no manual. I'm sure a wiki can met your obsessive needs, at least before you dive into some esoteric forum somewhere. :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heh, already 40% over goal :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm in for $15.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Grifman wrote:
Heh, already 40% over goal :)
It looks like they may blow through all their stretch goals in the first 24-hours. I assume they'll add in side missions for all four main NPCs instead of just Gobbet. Past that it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I do wish they'd talked more about enhancements to the engine or new features they were bringing in other than just the obvious addition of more tilesets, although I'm certainly willing to kick in $15-25 just for another adventure.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

ydejin wrote:I do wish they'd talked more about enhancements to the engine or new features they were bringing in
They did. It's in the stretch goals section.
Insert witty comment here.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

TiLT wrote:
ydejin wrote:I do wish they'd talked more about enhancements to the engine or new features they were bringing in
They did. It's in the stretch goals section.
I saw the:
Enhanced Player Controls! In addition to all the new Tech, Magic, Weapons, Consumables, Creatures, and Enemies we're already planning, if we reach our initial funding goal, we’ll add a bunch of interface upgrades. These include the ability to decide which team member picks up an item in free-move mode, item swapping between party members, a player-initiated turn-mode toggle so you can position your team before you enter combat, and a spread-range indicator for shotguns and sweeping melee attacks.
I just thought it looked kind of dull and I'm hoping that's not the only thing being added. I'm not sure what I'm expecting and maybe they're limited by what's available in PnP.

I guess I'm used expansions adding stuff like more character classes or deeper character development (the Shadowrun Unlimited mod, for example, adds in some new skills). Or maybe something like again in Shadowrun Unlimited where you have multiple safehouses or safehouse upgrades.

I'm already pledged and I suppose if they want to give us $20 adventures twice a year, I'm okay with that. I suppose the alternative risk is they'll cake up the game with too many additions and lose the clean design of the game (IMO that happened with Ghost Recon where I loved the XBox games, but then on the 360 they added controlling drones and tanks and all manner of gadgets and it just got too complicated, I just wanted to shoot at people in a military 3rd person game).