[Kickstarter] Leisure Suit Larry

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sectoid

[Kickstarter] Leisure Suit Larry

Post by Sectoid »

Yep, he's back and so is a big part of the Sierra team that created him.

Click this Linky if you are 18 or over.

With all these kickstarters of old games, I'll be in 1985 if you need me.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
coopasonic

Re: [Kickstarter] Leisure Suit Larry

Post by coopasonic »

Disappointed it's a remake.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

coopasonic wrote:Disappointed it's a remake.
My hope is that this leads to enough revenue to get a brand new game with Al Lowe involved.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love the 10k reward.....
You will be flown (domestic airfare only) to Seattle to enjoy lunch, dinner, or a morning-after breakfast with Leisure Suit Larry’s Mommy’s Baby Daddy, Mr. Al Lowe himself. He’ll sign whatever you want him to sign (except IRS forms and blank checks), answer all your questions about life, tell you some dirty jokes, and, best of all, he’ll do something that he’s never done before in the history of the world: he’ll pick up the check!
hahaha except IRS forms and blank checks...dangit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote:Disappointed it's a remake.
You mean, a remake (1987) of a remake (1991). Third time's the charm!

I was too late (and a bit too young) to get into the Larry games, but I did pick up "Love for Sail" and had a few laughs. I'm feeling like this is a good project to throw $15 towards.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think Love for Sail is also where I really jumped on. I think I played some of the earlier games on the C64 but recollection is fuzzy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love Al Lowe :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A better idea would be to actually do a Leisure Suit Larry 4 aka the Missing Floppies, which was the number that was skipped over ;) That way they could use the excuse to have it in a somewhat retro setting while still staying true to the series, and have a campaign around it finally seeing the light of day.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you watch the video on the Kickstarter page, he explains that they only secured the rights to remake the originals - not create new IP with the character and theme. The rights were obtained back in October of last year, but they couldn't secure funding from publishers and venture capitalists based so they figured they'd try Kickstarter instead.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

19 hours to go. If they hit $650K, they're going to add a new girl and some more story -- look like they need ~$40K.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

Gave my support. Loved the original, here's hoping this one will live up to it
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those interested, the game will be hitting STEAM at some point today, I think for $20. Backers were given access to their keys last night and/or able to download a DRM free version of the game from Replay Studios.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I've got both a Steam key and the DRM-free version on my computer right now. I'm holding out until Steam releases the game though. Should be two hours from now, if I'm not mistaken.
Insert witty comment here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I grabbed my steam key but I won't be able to play it until the kids are in bed in about 10 hours ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I just fired it up without a problem and confirmed it does play nicely in a window - that pauses when not focused. Not sure if that changes anything for you, but it's a nice option. The game looks damn nice.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I downloaded the wallpapers, they aren't really work friendly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's $20 at ReplayGames...

https://www.replaygamesinc.com/index/get-game?gameId=13" target="_blank
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just finished it. I hate to say this, but it's much shorter than I would have liked.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Did they remake the whole first game, or just part of it?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:Just finished it. I hate to say this, but it's much shorter than I would have liked.
It's shorter than I would have liked and longer than I remembered. Part of that is due to the answer to the next question:
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Did they remake the whole first game, or just part of it?
It's the entire first game, but they also added another girl for Larry to "romance".

I liked the game overall, in particular due to the humor which was better than I remembered. It had me chuckling quite often. The main problems with it is that it's a very short game (took me 5 hours, and much of that was due to being stuck) and that the puzzle design and UI feels very outdated. The UI is just clunky, while the puzzle design relies a bit too much on pixel hunting. In pretty much every situation where I was stuck, it turned out that I was missing some item that was hidden in one of the screens.

Whether or not it's worth playing depends on the player, pretty much. It's a cheap game, so it's not like it being short is a huge problem. If you can enjoy crude, sexualized comedy, you'll find something to like here.
Insert witty comment here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah there was some good humor (and some really bad humor), but it was really short. Like TiLT, getting stuck multiplied my play time. The gambling mechanic and need for money also dragged things out... at least until I started cheating (lose load lose load win save lose load win save). If I played it again I could finish it in under an hour easily, but I guess that's true of most games like this. Having played it now I don't think I ever played the original.

Looking at a list I am pretty sure I played 2, 3 and 7... and then Magna Cum Laude and about an hour of Box Office Bust. I guess at the time I preferred Wizard 101. I identified with that better than with a 40 year old virgin when I was a teenager. ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

When I was in high school and trying to break into IT, I interned for a bit at a local place that did computerized cash register sales and repairs.

Since they didn't have a lot for me to do, if I got finished with my busy work they'd let me play games on a PC in the back.

The only game the had loaded was Leisure Suit Larry. I always felt really awkward sitting back there in the back playing some pervy game as part of my "job." :lol:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that just finished LSLR, I figured I would look to see if there was any developments on the rest of the series being updated. Sadly, it would seem the only news is that Al Lowe left Replay games after the CEO plead guilty to "displaying harmful material to a 16 year old".
Trowe pleaded guilty in a Texas court earlier this year to a charge of displaying harmful material to a minor, Kotaku reported. The openly gay CEO had showed a 16-year-old girl a sexually explicit video as proof of her boyfriend’s unfaithfulness - and has since maintained that the girl asked him to do so. As part of the plea deal, Trowe agreed to attend sex offender counseling and is on two years’ probation.
I'm not quite sure why Lowe resigned on 12/3 when this happened in 2012, but this certainly wasn't the news I was expecting.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No idea what's up but
The openly gay CEO
WTF does that have to do with anything?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The only thing I could figure was that it was somehow included in his defense? Like, he wasn't luring or trying to titillate the 16 year old girl because, ewwww.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »