Guild Wars 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RMC

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by RMC »

Got it! Thanks.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

miltonite wrote:I sent guild and friend invites to both of you.
I'm thinking about getting back into GW2 after I grow a bit more tired of ESO. Can you shoot an invite to William.6937?
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote:
I'm thinking about getting back into GW2 after I grow a bit more tired of ESO. Can you shoot an invite to William.6937?
I like GW2, as it does not make me feel like I have to play, since there are no monthly fees to pay to play. I hate getting those stupid chests that needs the keys you have to buy to open. But <shrug> it is what it is. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Whoa, I''ve been thinking about getting back into this and I'm certain I'm in the OO guild. If not can I get an invite? Can't you belong to multiple guilds in this game?
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
RMC

Post by RMC »

tru1cy wrote:Whoa, I''ve been thinking about getting back into this and I'm certain I'm in the OO guild. If not can I get an invite? Can't you belong to multiple guilds in this game?
Yep, you can only 'represent' one at a time, but you can be in lots of Guilds(Or at least more than one).
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Thanks! Good to see familiar faces (err... usernames) in-game. :D

I'm not a power-gamer when it comes to MMOs, very casual. But if I'm online and anyone wants to group, I'm game. Just don't expect me to bring any sort of mad skills to the table.

Right now I'm playing through Sylvari starting area with a thief, and the human area with a guardian (plus another thief I use with some guy I met in ESO). It's interesting switching back and forth between this and ESO... I think I want a game that's some mix of the two. I want crafting, controls and voice acting of ESO, but the events and combat of GW2. Plus the GW2 world feels more compelling. Oh well I'll keep switching back and forth and enjoy both.

Edit: Post number 500!! Only took me nine years. LOL
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Just in case can someone send a guild invite to Forge.1597

Yep, I'm still in the guild. I was talking to Stuie , but I guess you was busy. I'll pop on and off over the weekend
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think twice if you're considering cheating in Guild Wars 2, because you're likely to be banned in a spectacular way.
A user by the name of DarkSide was reported by several players for teleporting and dishing out a Superman amount of damage
Chris Cleary, game security lead for ArenaNet, saw video evidence of DarkSide's cheating and took action.
This action came in the form of a video Cleary shared, showcasing DarkSide's fate. The developers took control of DarkSide's avatar, stripped them down to their underwear, and made them wave before forcing the near-naked cheater to swan dive from a deadly height.

DarkSide's characters were then permanently deleted and their multiple accounts banned.
The video
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a better / best server for US east coasters? They all list as very heavy in use and some full. The only 2 lower pop ones that are HIGH are Europe.

Still not sure what class / race to create and try. Maybe try everything. Im thinking engi, theif and necro...my usual...and all the races.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: Guild wars 2 is now free-to-play

www.guildwars2.com .... a pay-for expansion is due out on Oct. 23rd Image

There are restrictions on a free acct ... Account types: Free, Core, & HoT

I looked into GW2 a couple years back, and if I understood what I was reading at the time, you needed a smartphone app (authenticator) or you could not play ... does anybody know if that is\was true?

EDIT: .. I see on the accts page that, to send mail\gold\items, you need an authenticator app

a long rambling youtube video that explains viewpoints on the changes:

Image (26m)
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I waited a bit at the start of the year for it to be free but gave up and bought it. Never have played it yet. Might need to do that sometime if a lot of people still play. Hate playing MMOs where the player base is so sparse you cant talk or see anyone.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

You might need a authenticator app to send gold if you have a free account. I sent Arcanis a few gold the other day and did not have an issue.

Me and Arcanis have been playing off and on since launch. We are in the middle of the storyline again. This is my 4th character that I am running through the storyline.

I log in almost daily to get my dailies done. I can usually do them in under an hour. I usually play longer on saturdays and sundays.

With the introduction of Megs Servers a while back you no longer have to be in a high population server to see other people. The server you choose now only depends on your group for WvWvW. With the mega server it puts you in the most populated instances that it can. You will always see other people running around the world and joining in on events. There might be some less populated maps but the starter zones are usually populated pretty well. There is also a mostly dead OO guild that I can add you to. You can be part of multiple guilds in this one.

Edit: After reading the list you need to authenticate for storage withdraws and mailing items. That would be a pain.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

So I suppose you guys will be getting the expansion? I suppose I should get that. Unfortunately I neglected to log in for some of the season 2 chapters so I should see how much it would cost to get the ones I missed.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I am missing 1 living story chapter. You don't need to play them, they give you a pretty good recap from what I hear.

Also, you might like to know, doing Arah dungeon story mode can not be done in about 30 minutes with as little as 2 people. Me and Arcanis have already done it twice as a 2 person group. I have already bought the expansion. I plan to play through the added story mode at the least.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Teggy

Post by Teggy »

miltonite wrote:I am missing 1 living story chapter. You don't need to play them, they give you a pretty good recap from what I hear.

Also, you might like to know, doing Arah dungeon story mode can not be done in about 30 minutes with as little as 2 people. Me and Arcanis have already done it twice as a 2 person group. I have already bought the expansion. I plan to play through the added story mode at the least.
Why, did they nerf it or are you cheesing? I know there are crazy people who solo all the dungeons.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Teggy wrote:
miltonite wrote: Also, you might like to know, doing Arah dungeon story mode can not be done in about 30 minutes with as little as 2 people. Me and Arcanis have already done it twice as a 2 person group.
Why, did they nerf it or are you cheesing? I know there are crazy people who solo all the dungeons.
They nerfed it pretty hard. They understand that the filthy casuals would have trouble getting together a competent 5 person group and therefore would never be able to finish the story line.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

May give it a go soon. Since I like dps, ranged, and pets Ill make a ranger for sure. Other than that Im considering a necromancer. Are there race / class combos that work better? Like a Sylvan or whatever for ranger and Asura or whatever for necro?

Still no idea on server....I cant remember how many there were even last I looked. Is the PvE the best way to enjoy GW2 or does the PvP actually offer something fun and do many PvP? I always enjoy PvP but if no one else plays them then its useless. Sometimes though I just want to relax and play with no worries on a PvE server too.

EDIT: Wait I seem to recall someone posting about mega servers and such...now Ill have to go back through this thread.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Daehawk wrote:May give it a go soon. Since I like dps, ranged, and pets Ill make a ranger for sure. Other than that Im considering a necromancer. Are there race / class combos that work better? Like a Sylvan or whatever for ranger and Asura or whatever for necro?

Still no idea on server....I cant remember how many there were even last I looked. Is the PvE the best way to enjoy GW2 or does the PvP actually offer something fun and do many PvP? I always enjoy PvP but if no one else plays them then its useless. Sometimes though I just want to relax and play with no worries on a PvE server too.

EDIT: Wait I seem to recall someone posting about mega servers and such...now Ill have to go back through this thread.
Been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure the race only change your personal story and how you look.
PvE is fun in group, solo it's kinda meh, PVP is insane though if things get crazy it can lag a bit (used to anyway and I have a pretty decent computer).

My max level I made was a ranger and he was alot of fun, the pet can tank while you pew pew everything (to an extent).

Have fun!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Servers only matter for WvW now. When out in PvE areas they throw you in the most populated server that has room. It is very easy to group with friends.
Most of us are on Emery bay but the OO guild is mostly dead. There might be a bit of a revival with the new expansion.
I play pretty regularly, post your game ID and I will add you to the guild. You can be a member of multiple guilds so that is not an issue.

PvP is pretty active but unless you are 80 you will get stomped. The story is pretty decent, I have played all the way through 4 times and have 1 more character half way through. I have Warrior, Thief, Necromancer, Mesmer and Ranger all at 80. If you need help go ahead and ask, I will be more than happy to tag along. Most of the story mode is soloable.

As for race there are only 3 differences, the skin of your character model and there are a few utility skills that are unique to each race and the early story. All the story line quests converge eventually.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a server a lot of people are on or one thats recommended now days?

Just saw your post says Emery. Is that the one?

Good to know on the races. I like a game that way. Ill end up with oen class of everything most likely. Going to make 3 or so to test.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive played a couple hours now and made 3 characters with plans to make a 4th of some type.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 the best...

Sylvan ranger - 7 (Liking the pet wolf)
Human necro - 6 ( I want to have undead minions)
Asura engineer - 9.5 (Having so much fun with this one)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant create a character. I get it finished and name her then click to login but it returns an error that cannot conenct to login servers. I checked them online and all the auth servers and game servers are listed as up. I spent 30 min making this girl hahaha.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got in finally. Must have been a auth server glitch or reboot.

When will my engi get a pet golem or whatever and my necro get some undead minions? Ill venture a guess and say lvl 10 but is that correct? They seem a little naked and under powered without pets. My ranger started with one.....cant seem to command that one. Also far as I know my thief wont ever have one.
Montag

Post by Montag »

With free to play, I will give it a whirl. Going to try it with my wife and daughter (11 yo).
words
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Daehawk wrote: When will my engi get a pet golem or whatever and my necro get some undead minions? Ill venture a guess and say lvl 10 but is that correct? They seem a little naked and under powered without pets. My ranger started with one.....cant seem to command that one. Also far as I know my thief wont ever have one.
Your engineer will not get a golem unless you are playing as asuran and take that as your elite skill (slot 10). Your necro will get them as utility skills (slot 7-9) not sure of the level. The pets are AI driven. They will usually attack the mob that you are attacking. The AI is not perfect. For rangers all you can do is store them, set them as passive or active and tell them when to use their special skill. You cannot flag them like GW1. Ranger is the only class that gets a pet automatically.

KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote:.... My ranger started with one.....cant seem to command that one. Also far as I know my thief wont ever have one.
F1 = attack
F2 = special attack (or ability)
F3 = return to me
F4 = switch pets (for when they get "killed", or you'd prefer another ability)

K = your pet interface (maybe 30 collectible pets) .. naming, abilities, underwater\surface

a lot of times, when I'm rezz'ing a fallen player, I'll send my pet to kill the closest baddie ... or, when I've been defeated, but not out completely, I'll find the closest mob with low health (like a mosquito) and send the pet to kill it so I gain a "rally" rejuve .. once you are officially dead, you lose contact with your pet

the only class I have found, that i enjoy, is the ranger .. due to the pet system, and the speargun underwater, in combo with the pet to entangle the mob and keep them off of me .... the other builds are too quirky, with their need to apply conditions\bleed then deliver a 1-2 punch that multiplies damage from conditions ... and Combat-Healing is odd overall .. it seems to have little effect on you while combat is engaged
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks fellows. Great to know. Yep my engi is Asura. Still not sure on my 5th class yet. For my 4th I made a thief but since she is human it seems Im replaying the same area and my other human. May delete it and made a new race. I like the look of the dog people. Maybe that for my thief and a nurd or whatever the big ones are for a warrior. Or go funny and make my caster a huge race lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok I deleted both my human necro and human thief. I plan to remake my necro as human but female instead of male. Im creating my thief now as Charr but Im stuck at which legion to choose. Im guessing I fit best in Ash legion but does legion determine what weapons you can use? As a thief I expected to use daggers but if I choose Iriob Legion do I use guns or turrets or something mechanical? Not sure what legions do for me...cant finish this creating until I know.

The way Im making my characters is I have 5 slots so just enough to have one of each race.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just picked Ash. So far so fun. Liking the Charr thief.

For my last class Im not sure. Im using the large race humans. I have a thief for melee character, engi and ranger for ranged characters and a necro for a casting character....so Im left to choose between a warior or guardian for melee or a mesmer or elementalist for casting. Of those 4 I have no clue which to pick haha..gotta be either a full on caster or full on fighter it seems.

I guess instead of choosing based on damage Id rather choose based on fun factor...the looks too.

EDIT: reading a lot I should add Im leaning ele or war right now...and between those two Im not sure..I know the ele would be cooler looking in fights but the war might be more fun overall being the weapon master of the game. Dual wield is always fun.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Legion is story points only, it has no effect on your weapons. It does not mean much after you get out of the starting area.

Mesmer - degen and clones/illusions that attack with you. You can shatter them for AOE effects.
Elementalist - Elemental damage as you might expect. Staff and water focus will give you decent healing skills.

Warrior - Damage sponge and can deal decent damage as well. Lots of skills to keep you alive and some party buffs
Gaurdian - Heavy armor caster. Lots of party buffs, can deal decent damage. (Didn't keep that toon long)

And class can dual wield as long as you are using single handed weapons. Weapons that are 2 hands are great sword, staff, rifle hammer and bows (long and short). There are scepters, focus items, long swords, pistols, shields, daggers and torches that are all 1 handed. Spear, speargun and trident are all 2 handed weapons for underwater only.

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

You're giving me the urge to play GW2 now :tjg:
Isgrimnur wrote:
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

What else can I say to help push you over the edge?

Maybe, "The full original game is free only with a couple of added level gates. If you do buy the expansion there is never a sub fee to play." Maybe, "It is not and never will be pay to win." The Black Lion Trading is only for skins.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, if you need any help in the game let me know what class you want to show up to help (minus guardian, engineer and elementalist).

That goes for anyone. Let me know if you need or want help with something.

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

miltonite wrote:What else can I say to help push you over the edge?

Maybe, "The full original game is free only with a couple of added level gates. If you do buy the expansion there is never a sub fee to play." Maybe, "It is not and never will be pay to win." The Black Lion Trading is only for skins.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, if you need any help in the game let me know what class you want to show up to help (minus guardian, engineer and elementalist).

That goes for anyone. Let me know if you need or want help with something.
I didn't know the original was free (I do own it though), never did reached my level guess I could make this my objective.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well, after 3 years I caved and the client is downloading. Can't say I have much time to actually get into it these days, but I'm going to give it a go.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Zaxxon wrote:Well, after 3 years I caved and the client is downloading. Can't say I have much time to actually get into it these days, but I'm going to give it a go.
Ladies and Gentlemen, HE IS BACK!
:horse: :dance:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Say, what's the current guild name and how would one join?
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Current guild is Octopus Overlords which is me and mostly other inactive people. Send me your in game name and I will get you added.
Username= Name.#### works best.

Toxo

Post by Toxo »

Also remember that each account can join up to 5 guilds! And welcome back Zaxxon! :horse:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Five guilds?

Enlarge Image
Tao

Post by Tao »

Downloaded and installed. Way too many changes to simply jump back in....skills tree's are completely different, no longer learn attacks by using a weapon, specializations etc... Rolled up a new character to get reacquainted. Currently have a 48 Ranger, 39 Ele, 27 Guardian, 25 Necro and a really low level Mesmer and Warrior. I would definitely be up for some grouping.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez