Guild Wars 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tareeq

Guild Wars 2

Post by Tareeq »

Rather than start a new topic every time a beta event occurs for a game that's just around the corner, why not start a lasting thread?

Now for the beta event. Everyone who has pre-purchased the game will be invited to a three day beta, beginning April 27.

I played in the March beta, and what I saw was more polished than some AAA titles (for instance Warhammer) were at release. I look forward to continuing and seeing further improvement next week.
Over here.
whispa

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by whispa »

Tareeq wrote:Rather than start a new topic every time a beta event occurs for a game that's just around the corner, why not start a lasting thread?

Now for the beta event. Everyone who has pre-purchased the game will be invited to a three day beta, beginning April 27.

I played in the March beta, and what I saw was more polished than some AAA titles (for instance Warhammer) were at release. I look forward to continuing and seeing further improvement next week.
Awesome news! Looking forward the beta and release!
naednek

Post by naednek »

I prepurchased last week, but I don't see an account page on their site, has that been set up yet?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Prepurchased and eagerly awaiting beta weekend. :D
He won. Period.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Well there goes my weekend.
Wonder how many people will try and log at the same time Friday... epic server crash incoming.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
skystride

Post by skystride »

I'm guessing this beta weekend won't be NDA bound?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Naednek, did you buy the game through Arena Net, or from some other source? If through Arena Net, you should have gotten an email with that information.

And to be clear for everyone else, this is for people who pre-purchased the game (meaning you've already lost the money), not pre-ordered (as in giving Gamestop five bucks to hold a copy for you on release day).

skystride, there will be no NDA for any upcoming beta.
Over here.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Tareeq wrote:Naednek, did you buy the game through Arena Net, or from some other source? If through Arena Net, you should have gotten an email with that information.
Not necessarily. Me and Arcanis both prepurchased and we have not gotten email about the upcoming beta.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

When should we expect our email with the client download link?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
naednek

Post by naednek »

miltonite wrote:
Tareeq wrote:Naednek, did you buy the game through Arena Net, or from some other source? If through Arena Net, you should have gotten an email with that information.
Not necessarily. Me and Arcanis both prepurchased and we have not gotten email about the upcoming beta.
I purchased it directly from Arena net. After I purchased it, it asked me to register which I did. I received an email shortly after stating I would later receive further communication on the link to the beta download.

But if you go to arenanet or guildwars2.com, there's isn't an account page to log into.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Now I see what you mean.

There is an account page, but it's in beta too, and (yes), under NDA. But it's ok, because since you can't buy anything other than the game from Arena Net at this time (your email was your receipt), you don't have an account yet.

Once you get the link to download the game client (which will be sent to you in an email I'd say by Tuesday at the latest), you can log in and get or create account info.

I'm technically violating NDA by telling you this, but then I've already violated the NDA by writing that I've been in the beta and enjoyed it.
Over here.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Also, and I know I'm speaking to people who are smarter than the average bear, there will be an avalanche of phishing emails from thieves this week and in the following week. Examine any email you get about this game carefully. Every email I've gotten came from noreply@guildwars2.com, and as the name says, they don't want replies.

Be sure to scrutinize any links embedded in any email about this game before you click on them.
Over here.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

I've prepurchased too, and while I'm on Euro time I hope to see you there!

I think GW2 will be a spectacular hit, and I don't say this about many games.

EDIT: Also, the source of the date (27th to 30th) comes from their Twitter, er, tweets, not from an e-mail. I haven't recieved a notification or client email either, and they've said (tweeted) that they'll write a blog post about it shortly on their official website.

So, like Tareeq says, beware of fake emails.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Over here.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Tareeq wrote:Also, and I know I'm speaking to people who are smarter than the average bear, there will be an avalanche of phishing emails from thieves this week and in the following week. Examine any email you get about this game carefully. Every email I've gotten came from noreply@guildwars2.com, and as the name says, they don't want replies.

Be sure to scrutinize any links embedded in any email about this game before you click on them.
Also rather than click on the links in emails, just go directly to your account page either via your own link or typing in the URL.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Not sure I like the sound of this:
2. Always Be Movin’

That is the golden rule for Guild Wars 2 combat. Don’t stop moving! Seriously, I don’t care whether you are a rifle-toting warrior or a greatsword-wielding ranger; don’t stop. If you find yourself in a red circle, then move faster. A stationary soldier is a dead soldier. Your #1 skill for each weapon will be an auto-attack so you can concentrate on moving while your character will keep trying to swing away. Make sure to use Mouse 2, or whatever, to face the enemy while you are circle-strafing. If you don’t like auto-attack then CTRL+click the skill to disable it. Be prepared to press “1″ a lot after that. I would also suggest keybinding dodge instead of double-tapping movement or mouse-clicking the button.
I don't mind needing to position/reposition during combat, but circle strafing through a whole combat is just not fun to me.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Arkon wrote:

Not sure I like the sound of this:
2. Always Be Movin’

That is the golden rule for Guild Wars 2 combat. Don’t stop moving! Seriously, I don’t care whether you are a rifle-toting warrior or a greatsword-wielding ranger; don’t stop. If you find yourself in a red circle, then move faster. A stationary soldier is a dead soldier. Your #1 skill for each weapon will be an auto-attack so you can concentrate on moving while your character will keep trying to swing away. Make sure to use Mouse 2, or whatever, to face the enemy while you are circle-strafing. If you don’t like auto-attack then CTRL+click the skill to disable it. Be prepared to press “1″ a lot after that. I would also suggest keybinding dodge instead of double-tapping movement or mouse-clicking the button.
I don't mind needing to position/reposition during combat, but circle strafing through a whole combat is just not fun to me.
Well GW2 is more action-oriented than most MMOs. If you don't like to circle-strafe, play a melee build. :)
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Lagom Lite wrote:
Arkon wrote:
Tareeq wrote: Well GW2 is more action-oriented than most MMOs. If you don't like to circle-strafe, play a melee build. :)
I understand it is more action oriented, but that makes it sound like a full on action game, given he states even a greatsword wielding character should be moving non stop.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Arkon wrote:
Lagom Lite wrote:
Arkon wrote:
Tareeq wrote: Well GW2 is more action-oriented than most MMOs. If you don't like to circle-strafe, play a melee build. :)
I understand it is more action oriented, but that makes it sound like a full on action game, given he states even a greatsword wielding character should be moving non stop.
Thing is, you have a hotbar for dodging called "Endurance", which refills quickly. You'll be able to dodge maybe what? Once every 5 seconds? Something like that. And you really need to do it at the right moment.

So in that way combat is partly twitch-based. But it's also a strong RPG element in that your choice, timing and synergy of skill selection plays a large role. And you can't just spam the dodge button or you'll run out of Endurance.

I wouldn't actually say you need to circle-strafe constantly, but you do need to keep on your toes. Especially if you opt for a glass cannon type (hence my melee comment), in which case you really need to learn the movement controls to avoid getting hit.
Is there anyone in hell?

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This conversation is actually making me less interested in it too, unfortunately. I like the world exploration stuff, but I think I've lost my taste for actiony/twitch based fighting.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Chaz wrote:This conversation is actually making me less interested in it too, unfortunately. I like the world exploration stuff, but I think I've lost my taste for actiony/twitch based fighting.
Yeah that is my concern. Skyrim has action based combat so to speak but is about at the limit for what I can handle twitch wise. If Guild Wars 2 is so full on twitch, I am beginning to regret prepurchasing. Guild Wars 1 was only twitch really if you were doing PvP from what I recall.
skystride

Post by skystride »

Arkon wrote:
Chaz wrote:This conversation is actually making me less interested in it too, unfortunately. I like the world exploration stuff, but I think I've lost my taste for actiony/twitch based fighting.
Yeah that is my concern. Skyrim has action based combat so to speak but is about at the limit for what I can handle twitch wise. If Guild Wars 2 is so full on twitch, I am beginning to regret prepurchasing. Guild Wars 1 was only twitch really if you were doing PvP from what I recall.
I think you should be fine. All indications are that GW2 has some twitch component but it's less twitchy than Tera. I played Tera and didn't find it to be a lot harder than Skyrim.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

if you watch some video you'll see that you can dodge big hits by using your dodge ability (it's 3 charge that refills).

I wouldn't say it's full blown twitch base but it's obviously more skill oriented than WoW.
Also, you NEED to move out of the bad stuff in WoW and you'll need to move out as well in GW2 I don't see the problem here.

But really, jsut watch some video and you'll understand how it works, from what I've seen it's NOT an FPS but it's also not WoW.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Well, the blog post on their site is up... and immediately crashed because of the influx. They have Asura Engineers working on it though, so I'm sure they'll get it up and running - as soon as they're through arguing and accusing each other of being a "Bookah".

Edit: Linky
Is there anyone in hell?

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Arkon wrote:
Don't worry, you won't have to constantly circle strafe. You will need to pay attention to mobs and dodge out of the way when they are about to unleash a big attack. You'll need to dodge arrows and spells fired at you. Some professions, like the Thief, rely on getting in, doing damage and getting out. Others less so. What you won't be able to do is stand there and mash buttons while paying no attention at all to your surroundings. Well, I guess you can, but you'll die a lot after the early levels. If you've ever played PvP in WoW or other MMOs, you'll be fine.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Tareeq's still alive.

Good to know.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Email is out with a link to the forum explaining what all you need to do. Unfortunately the forum is down, probably due to massive number of sign ins.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Arcanis wrote:Email is out with a link to the forum explaining what all you need to do. Unfortunately the forum is down, probably due to massive number of sign ins.
Hm...I didn't get a mail, only the 7th anniversary one.

In other news, I am up to 11 points after buying some cloth of the brotherhood. At least grinding for money is a substitute for skill.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

forum is up
Isgrimnur wrote:
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

nevermind.
I could log in then it crashed lol
Isgrimnur wrote:
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Downloading now!
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Same.. but I got it from somewhere else lol

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe" target="_blank

it's legit.
Isgrimnur wrote:
whispa

Post by whispa »

Vorret wrote:Same.. but I got it from somewhere else lol

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe" target="_blank

it's legit.
Confirmed as working :binky:
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Well unless support is pretty quick I may not be playing this weekend. They decided that despite my best efforts to force me to use the account information I had from GW1 which uses an email I haven't had access to in years. I would have changed it in GW1 except that it was impossible to change the log in email, I tried several times. Now my account and password are off into the aether because I accidentally hit that old email from my auto fill options on trying to reset my password.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Good luck Arcanis.

Beta invitations just went out, by the way.
Over here.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Gonna try to make it this weekend.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

ArenaNet just published a blog article on choosing and transferring between worlds. Yes, in Guild Wars 2, if you have friends on another server, you can transfer to that server to play with them, then return home.

http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and- ... ild-wars-2" target="_blank

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to play on Deldrimor server for the beta, unless there's some surge of support for another place. I'll miss the Dwarves in Guild Wars 2.
Over here.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Tareeq wrote:ArenaNet just published a blog article on choosing and transferring between worlds. Yes, in Guild Wars 2, if you have friends on another server, you can transfer to that server to play with them, then return home.

http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and- ... ild-wars-2" target="_blank

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to play on Deldrimor server for the beta, unless there's some surge of support for another place. I'll miss the Dwarves in Guild Wars 2.
The only catch with this is in WvW. You only get to represent your home server. So if you want to roll keeps with your friends you all need to be on the same server or pay for a home server transfer.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

They sure have alot of server ready for launch.

And yeah their support kind of suck, I wanted to change the email I used to buy GW2 with and they can't right now... How hard is it to query a databse and replace an email?

Bit disapointed in that but at least I have all the info I need.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Is everyone going to roll on that server? I wouldn't mind trying some WvW at some point over the weekend and it'll be better with a group.
Isgrimnur wrote: