Elder Scrolls the MMO

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Elder Scrolls the MMO

Post by ColdSteel »

I got my mag sorcerer to level 15 last night so he's almost caught up to my stam sorcerer now. I'm really glad he hit 15 because I'm hoping having the second ability bar will help keep him alive more. Compared to my stam guy, he dies when someone sneezes in his direction. I've died so many times it's not funny and I've spent a fortune on repairs. This is supposed to be a powerful build eventually and I'm following the guide closely so I'm hoping things improve now that he has more abilities to work with. It probably doesn't help that he's still using level 8 equipment so I'll look to get that upgraded a bit when he hits 16.

It's interesting that the guild stores don't really sell weapons or armor for the most part, just recipes, diagrams and other crafting type stuff. I was looking for a lightning staff but couldn't find a single one that wasn't level 50 and there weren't but a few of those even so. It's strange and something I've never seen in other MMOs. I guess everyone just crafts stuff for themselves rather than buying it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
wire

Post by wire »

I can make you the light or medium armor and lightning staff you need. Link me the build website and I'll build it according to the build recommendations. Well...maybe it depends on the set type as some of the builds are using sets that I don't have access to yet.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I think redfive can also craft armor and weapons. I can too.
Because I have a mag sorceror (summons daedric minions), my highest level character can craft inferno, lightning, and restoration staffs as well as armor. He can also do the enchantments.
I can look up what the crafting set places require and could try that. It would be fun.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Thanks guy, much appreciated. Here is what the leveling build I'm using calls for at current levels:
◾Weapons and Gear – I go with Lighting staff and all light armor. For set bonuses, 3 piece Torgus Pact and 5 piece Seducer
So, I'd just need training traits for those. The build calls for dual destruction staves, main one lightning and the secondary one inferno. I may be able to craft the inferno staff myself. I just need to check and see if I have the training trait for that. I know I don't for lightning. I never seem to find any of those staves in-game.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Can I get an OO guild invite? @Stuie

I mainly play EU, but would be nice to have people to run dungeons with when I'm on NA. :D
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Stuie wrote:Can I get an OO guild invite? @Stuie

I mainly play EU, but would be nice to have people to run dungeons with when I'm on NA. :D
Send me a friend request and I'll get you in the guild.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can you actually craft "Set" pieces? All of my armor and weapons research has always been about the "Bonus" - 8% Training, 13% Armor Bonus, etc.

If not, I'm a mediocre Woodcrafter that can make level 16, 18, 20 staves of any flavor. I'm always picking up resources as I run around outside. The only thing I'm lacking is a large volume of enhancement materials (Resins, Tannins, etc) and I have a very narrow scope of craftable bonuses as I've only been researching for a week.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wire

Post by wire »

ColdSteel wrote:Thanks guy, much appreciated. Here is what the leveling build I'm using calls for at current levels:
◾Weapons and Gear – I go with Lighting staff and all light armor. For set bonuses, 3 piece Torgus Pact and 5 piece Seducer
So, I'd just need training traits for those. The build calls for dual destruction staves, main one lightning and the secondary one inferno. I may be able to craft the inferno staff myself. I just need to check and see if I have the training trait for that. I know I don't for lightning. I never seem to find any of those staves in-game.
I can make you almost all of the different staves with whatever trait you need, other than nirnhorn. I have two traits in progress for staves and those should be completed by end of week but I know I have all traits for inferno and frost and just one left on lightning.
wire

Post by wire »

Paingod wrote:Can you actually craft "Set" pieces? All of my armor and weapons research has always been about the "Bonus" - 8% Training, 13% Armor Bonus, etc.

If not, I'm a mediocre Woodcrafter that can make level 16, 18, 20 staves of any flavor. I'm always picking up resources as I run around outside. The only thing I'm lacking is a large volume of enhancement materials (Resins, Tannins, etc) and I have a very narrow scope of craftable bonuses as I've only been researching for a week.
Set pieces are crafted at the various crafting locations spread out over each zone. I think there are at least 2 or 3 per zone.
http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextrali ... +Locations
wire

Post by wire »

For anyone who is wanting to craft I would recommend the addon Research Assistant. This addon allows you track traits needed by character. Say you have one character that is your woodworker and one that is your blacksmith. You can set your Research Assistant to track those characters progress on traits on any character and shows you if items in your inventory are needed as research. It is a really handy addon.
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info111- ... stant.html
Bad Demographic

wire wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:Thanks guy, much appreciated. Here is what the leveling build I'm using calls for at current levels:
I can make you almost all of the different staves with whatever trait you need, other than nirnhorn. I have two traits in progress for staves and those should be completed by end of week but I know I have all traits for inferno and frost and just one left on lightning.
I can make the inferno staff with training and also robe/jerkin and shoes. What character level are you?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Thanks much, I could use the inferno staff with training on it. Right now I am level 16. I'm not a big fan of robes so I've been using the jerkins to date. I made a level 16 jerkin with training on it. It's one of the few light armor things I have researched the training trait for. But I can't make the Torgus Pact and Seducer set jerkins (or any other part of those sets).

I'm still dying a lot. I just went through a gate for a quest and had the way blocked by 3 archers. If there was room to sneak by I would have done that but there wasn't so I fought them and died in about 4 seconds. I have good CC but against groups of archers and spell casters I can't seem to figure a way not to swiftly die. You can't seem to send your pet in first to collect aggro like you can in Wow. I need ward spells but they haven't unlocked yet. I think I may have to try resto staff on my second bar despite what the build guide says.
wire

Post by wire »

ColdSteel wrote:Thanks much, I could use the inferno staff with training on it. Right now I am level 16. I'm not a big fan of robes so I've been using the jerkins to date. I made a level 16 jerkin with training on it. It's one of the few light armor things I have researched the training trait for. But I can't make the Torgus Pact and Seducer set jerkins (or any other part of those sets).

I'm still dying a lot. I just went through a gate for a quest and had the way blocked by 3 archers. If there was room to sneak by I would have done that but there wasn't so I fought them and died in about 4 seconds. I have good CC but against groups of archers and spell casters I can't seem to figure a way not to swiftly die. You can't seem to send your pet in first to collect aggro like you can in Wow. I need ward spells but they haven't unlocked yet. I think I may have to try resto staff on my second bar despite what the build guide says.
What is the recommended armor/weapon glyph for your build?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

wire wrote:What is the recommended armor/weapon glyph for your build?
It looks like Max Magicka for all the armor and Berserker for the lightning staff.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ColdSteel wrote:Thanks much, I could use the inferno staff with training on it. Right now I am level 16. I'm not a big fan of robes so I've been using the jerkins to date. I made a level 16 jerkin with training on it. It's one of the few light armor things I have researched the training trait for. But I can't make the Torgus Pact and Seducer set jerkins (or any other part of those sets).

Do you play with a food buff? It can really help a lot if you have a rare or epic food buff, which a few of us can probably make for your level, may even be some in build bank. I generally prefer the drinks which buff health/stam/magic regen since they really help in long fights. But the food recipes which increase your base health/stam/magic work fine for basic questing.

Edit: I threw some magic/health buff food for level 15-19 in the bank. Doesn't look like epic recipes start till level 20 and I didn't have a magic/health regen drink recipe for your level.
Bad Demographic

There may be oak in the guild bank - I'll need that for the staff. wire - do you have flax? We'll need flax for the light armor.

Re your daedric pet - if you attack from a distance, I think your daedra will run forward. I know my clanfaer does - I don't remember if the scamp does.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

ColdSteel wrote:
wire wrote:What is the recommended armor/weapon glyph for your build?
It looks like Max Magicka for all the armor and Berserker for the lightning staff.
Okay - in a day and a half I can make you a 3-piece Torug set for level 16 (jerkin, shoes, sash) and a level 16 inferno staff, all w/training and enchanted (armor with increased magicka, staff with increased damage). I can't do the lightning staff with training, but I could do powered, infused, defending, sharpened or decisive for that staff.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After reading yall's account I decided to bite the bullet with this game. 85 Gig footprint!!! 59 Gig download!!! I had to spend an hour yesterday deleting games to make room.
I still have over 15 hours to go. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Bad Demographic wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:You can't seem to send your pet in first to collect aggro like you can in Wow.
Re your daedric pet - if you attack from a distance, I think your daedra will run forward. I know my clanfaer does - I don't remember if the scamp does.
This is the reason I skipped out on my pet caster after playing for a while. The soft, squishy part of your team - you - needs to get the initial aggro and pick a fight. Every other MMO I've played with Pets has allowed the caster some level of control - stay/attack and passive/defensive/aggro commands. Lacking those commands, Pet casters become a class with a perpetual DoT ability, not a true Pet class. Yes, my pets can grab aggro if I back completely off the fight and let them handle it after I start it - but that means I have to tap my fingers and wait for them to catch on instead of being an active participant - or I need to start wearing heavy armor and dump points into Health... :D

I want to thank DOS=HIGH (@leprosy) for mauling me last night and bestowing upon me the gift of Lycnathropy. The quest to finish it was remarkably easy, and I look forward to having a good reason to dump every Stat point I've accumulated for the last 21 levels into Stamina (apparently, the determining factor in my Werewolf damage). :dance:
Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

dbt1949 wrote:After reading yall's account I decided to bite the bullet with this game. 85 Gig footprint!!! 59 Gig download!!! I had to spend an hour yesterday deleting games to make room.
If you have problems with the game, DO NOT verify the integrity of the game files. Repeat: DO NOT verify the integrity of the game files.

It will do a full re-download.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

dbt1949 wrote:After reading yall's account I decided to bite the bullet with this game. 85 Gig footprint!!! 59 Gig download!!! I had to spend an hour yesterday deleting games to make room.
Let us know when you make it in and I'll get you an invitation too the guild.

Anyone else want to get in on this?

EDIT: the board is about to go down for the weekend according to Fishpants so send me a friend request @Redfive for invitations.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Bad Demographic wrote:Okay - in a day and a half I can make you a 3-piece Torug set for level 16 (jerkin, shoes, sash) and a level 16 inferno staff, all w/training and enchanted (armor with increased magicka, staff with increased damage). I can't do the lightning staff with training, but I could do powered, infused, defending, sharpened or decisive for that staff.
Thanks but I'd say hold off on that for now unless you just happen to have all the mats laying around (it doesn't sound like it).

I'm still struggling to come up with a skill rotation that keeps me alive and if I can't find one, I may have to give up on this character. I've tried using a resto staff on my second bar and the healing there has helped quite a bit but I'm still getting one shot in some battles. I had a quest that involved killing 3 skelly captains (separate solo battles) and I killed the first with no problem but the second one killed me 5 times in a row and I finally abandoned the quest. His throw dagger attack was doing 6600 hp damage as was his main melee strike. I died very quickly even with lightning form up which provides a lot of physical resistance and my healing dot active. The only thing I can think of is that it's my lack of armor since I'm using all light armor. My stam sorcerer also uses lightning form and can melee everything without dying. But he uses medium and heavy armor. He also kills stuff much, much quicker though.

So, just wait for now, I have to figure this out. I've been spending over 1,000 gold a day on repair costs and it's not much fun.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ColdSteel wrote:I died very quickly even with lightning form up which provides a lot of physical resistance and my healing dot active. The only thing I can think of is that it's my lack of armor since I'm using all light armor.
As someone who plays around with melee and ranged, a battle can be easily lost because you're not inside melee range and the enemy uses a lot of powerful ranged skills. Proper block, interrupt, and dodge tactics change the tide tremendously - and as far as I know "interrupt" requires that you're in their face. I've started playing in 3rd person because it gives so much of a better perspective for every fight.

Enemy starts flashing white lines? Block (right mouse) just before they swing! They'll be disoriented.
Enemy starts flashing red lines? Interrupt (right mouse + left mouse) as soon as you see it! They'll be disoriented.
Enemy broadcasts an AoE? Dodge (double-tap direction) immediately! You'll be out of the line of fire.

If I just attack, I'll easily lose some fights. If I actually employ the full range of tactics and keep myself moving, I win handily.
Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

ColdSteel wrote:Thanks but I'd say hold off on that for now unless you just happen to have all the mats laying around (it doesn't sound like it).

I'm still struggling to come up with a skill rotation that keeps me alive and if I can't find one, I may have to give up on this character. I've tried using a resto staff on my second bar and the healing there has helped quite a bit but I'm still getting one shot in some battles. I had a quest that involved killing 3 skelly captains (separate solo battles) and I killed the first with no problem but the second one killed me 5 times in a row and I finally abandoned the quest. His throw dagger attack was doing 6600 hp damage as was his main melee strike. I died very quickly even with lightning form up which provides a lot of physical resistance and my healing dot active. The only thing I can think of is that it's my lack of armor since I'm using all light armor. My stam sorcerer also uses lightning form and can melee everything without dying. But he uses medium and heavy armor. He also kills stuff much, much quicker though.

So, just wait for now, I have to figure this out. I've been spending over 1,000 gold a day on repair costs and it's not much fun.
Maybe I'm weird, but both of my sorcerers use a mix of heavy and medium armor. They may have a piece or two of light armor, but I feel the advantages of using light armor are offset by dying a lot - maybe other people don't have that problem. Oh, and even though staves (staffs?) are ranged weapons, I use them up close so I can bash when those red or white lines flash out of my enemy.
My sorcerers wander around with at least one daedric pet all the time, two if I think I may get into fights with either too many enemies or big powerful enemies. With my solo guys (one sorcerer, one nightblade), I sneak a lot.
For my ultimate I use the daedric summoning ultimate - I think it's a storm atronach? It takes health from enemies and, I think, gives it to me.

I don't know if that's helpful info.

Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I got it sorted out. It turns out that the build I was using was total crap. I'm using another build now and what a difference. I'm not dying anymore and I'm up to level 19 already. DPS and survivability are now both much better.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Just snagged the ability to nibble someone and pass on Lycanthropy, if anyone is interested. I can only offer up one mauling every 7 days, though.

The quest to complete it is fairly easy (kill one hard creature, I did it at Level 20), and if you don't like having it as an option, you can roll it back for like 600G at one of three major towns (one in each faction). Apparently it'll save your skill progress. They say the Werewolf damage is dependent on your Stamina (not equipment), so it would be ideal for a Stamina-heavy build to keep around as a backup skill tree.

I'm really enjoying it now that I can eat corpses and extend my duration for each one. Makes it a heck of a lot easier to stay in Werewolf form and keep racking up kills for more levels in it.
Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

Hey Redfive, once you got enough gp to buy a house, did you hesitate?

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Bad Demographic wrote:Hey Redfive, once you got enough gp to buy a house, did you hesitate?
No, not really.

I had looked rather extensively before I made the purchase so I knew what I wanted. I will say, however, that if you are wanting to buy something just because you can afford it and you'd rather have something bigger / nicer then you should wait.

I like the house a lot, but other than the burst of decorating we did a few weeks ago, I haven't done much else with it--yet.

What did you have in mind?
Bad Demographic

Well, at first when I started selling stuff through the guild I thought there wasn't anything I actually wanted to buy. Then I saw Sleek Creek in Reaper's March and I like it. But I am not yet sure I want to buy it. It's a nice size - those 1 million gp places are just too big. I also figure there's no real rush since it's not like only one person in the whole game can own it.
Maybe I'll wait to see you we decorate your place first.

edit: Looks like I'll have to wait anyway - need to complete the Hallowed Moons quest.

Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Bad Demographic wrote:Well, at first when I started selling stuff through the guild I thought there wasn't anything I actually wanted to buy. Then I saw Sleek Creek in Reaper's March and I like it. But I am not yet sure I want to buy it. It's a nice size - those 1 million gp places are just too big. I also figure there's no real rush since it's not like only one person in the whole game can own it.
Maybe I'll wait to see you we decorate your place first.

edit: Looks like I'll have to wait anyway - need to complete the Hallowed Moons quest.
I was going for Hundings Palatial Hall but realized how much of a nightmare it would be to make the place look decent. I went with Sleek Creek because I think it looks nice, it's easy to decorate, and the town it's next too is really compact and has everything. There's also a Thieve's Den right outside one of the exits. I made the effort to level one of my characters to max level in all crafting to make any pattern I come across. So I've been slowly decorating it when I find crafting recipes I like. There looks like some nice patterns in the guild bank but I haven't had a chance to see what they actually look like to see if I would use them.

I've hit 2 mil gold so I'm thinking about buying some other properties for quick portal locations around the world, just haven't decided where yet. There's two new houses in Morrowind, not including a free closet you can get, but they look like they are going to be expensive and I wasn't that crazy about the layout.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After 29 hours of downloading I had four hours of updating. This game will never go off my computer.
Now all my usual names have been taken. Crap.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bad Demographic

dbt1949 wrote:After 29 hours of downloading I had four hours of updating. This game will never go off my computer.
That name thing? I think I ran into that even when I beta tested. I made a khajiit and wanted to name him "Greebo" (after a witch's cat in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series). Obviously that occurred to other people as well.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

DOS=HIGH wrote: (comments about Sleek Creek)
Those are the reasons I like Sleek Creek as well.
I'd like to visit your house and see how you have decorated it.

Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Bad Demographic wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:After 29 hours of downloading I had four hours of updating. This game will never go off my computer.
That name thing? I think I ran into that even when I beta tested. I made a khajiit and wanted to name him "Greebo" (after a witch's cat in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series). Obviously that occurred to other people as well.
You do have first and last names in this MMO though (unlike some others). So you can always name your characters what you want and then append something to make it unique (like "Greebo of Discworld"). It makes finding names much, much easier.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally found one......Hogeye.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bad Demographic

Do any of you want Crafting Motif: Dunmer?
I'd put it in the guild bank but I wasn't sure if any of you are taking anything out.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How do you talk to people? I saw the keyboard mapping but I couldn't find that. Nor how to find one's stats and to update them.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bad Demographic

Hit Enter to enable the chat window.
To talk to everybody in the region, /zone
To talk to just your guildmates (us), /guild1
To talk to people you're grouped up with, /group

To look at your character info, c
to look at your skills and assign skill points, k

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

dbt1949 wrote:I finally found one......Hogeye.
What is your account name? The one that starts with '@'
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Bad Demographic wrote:Hit Enter to enable the chat window.
To talk to everybody in the region, /zone
To talk to just your guildmates (us), /guild1
To talk to people you're grouped up with, /group

To look at your character info, c
to look at your skills and assign skill points, k
Thanks!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949