Elder Scrolls the MMO

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Elder Scrolls the MMO

Post by Skinypupy »

wire wrote:Paingod...I've found that leveling is a bit slow from 1 to about 15 and then it picks up some. If you wear light or medium armor I can create you some set armor with the leveling trait. Each piece of armor would give 7% or so experience bonus and with a full set you're looking at 50+% xp bonus on each kill.
So...um...could I take you up on that offer?

I've got a bit of gold stashed from my previous playthrough that I can put towards it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
wire

Post by wire »

Skinypupy wrote:
wire wrote:Paingod...I've found that leveling is a bit slow from 1 to about 15 and then it picks up some. If you wear light or medium armor I can create you some set armor with the leveling trait. Each piece of armor would give 7% or so experience bonus and with a full set you're looking at 50+% xp bonus on each kill.
So...um...could I take you up on that offer?

I've got a bit of gold stashed from my previous playthrough that I can put towards it.
Take a look at the crafted set list and let me know what armor set you would like. I can make light/medium armor up to the 6 trait requirement. I'll just need to know your level, light or medium, the trait you want (like xp bonus) and the set style.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextrali ... afted+Sets

You might actually get me two set styles because I can create 5 pieces in one style for those bonuses and then create the rest in the other style so you get some of their bonuses as well. If you need heavy I can only create sets that only require 2-4 traits as I'm still trying to research heavy armor and weapons.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wow, some of those are amazing. These two look particularly rad:

- Night's Silence
- Night Mother's

I'm assuming these all have a level 50 requirement, correct? That might take me a while, just restarted a new toon yesterday. Is there a 'noob armor' option? :)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

wire wrote:Take a look at the crafted set list and let me know what armor set you would like. I can make light/medium armor up to the 6 trait requirement. I'll just need to know your level, light or medium, the trait you want (like xp bonus) and the set style.
Hey wire, I'd like to get in on this too if I could. I have a bit of gold and mats to help make my set, just let me know what you need. The image below is what I'd like if possible (minus the glyphs and daggers, of course). I'm level 13 currently so maybe make it for level 14? Don't worry if this is too much piling on. Thanks. :D

"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

ColdSteel wrote:
wire wrote:Take a look at the crafted set list and let me know what armor set you would like. I can make light/medium armor up to the 6 trait requirement. I'll just need to know your level, light or medium, the trait you want (like xp bonus) and the set style.
Hey wire, I'd like to get in on this too if I could. I have a bit of gold and mats to help make my set, just let me know what you need. The image below is what I'd like if possible (minus the glyphs and daggers, of course). I'm level 13 currently so maybe make it for level 14? Don't worry if this is too much piling on. Thanks. :D

I know where that pic is from :wink:
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Redfive wrote:I know where that pic is from
Indeed. I'm relying heavily on that guild you posted. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Wire, I appreciate the offer. I'm not sure what class I'm going to settle on yet. I'm feeling a tad disillusioned with the Summoner I was putting together (mostly due to having no control over pets) and am planning to re-roll tonight as an Orc/Dual-Wield/Medium Armor/Nightblade that eventually turns Lycanthrope. I've been almost strictly casters in MMO's for ages - so it might be nice to try being a sneaky melee DPS machine instead. I'm always reluctant to accept gifts when I'm so painfully afflicted with Alt-Itis... but it sounds like you've got a line forming. :mrgreen:

In the event that I fall in love with being a shadow-enshrouded fuzzy blender, is there any way to transfer "useful" lowbie goods to someone else from my Summoner? I've found a few "Style" items that aren't basic racial items (like "Daedric" or "Ancient Elven" (I think)), and a few "Furniture" components along with a slew of Alchemical ingredients. The rest is probably junk, though I really don't know. A smattering of Runestones, some wood, some Iron, some cooking stuff, some resins, some upgrade materials. It was all basically 6 hours of running around collecting everything I could while I was chasing quests.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wire

Post by wire »

Skinypupy wrote:Wow, some of those are amazing. These two look particularly rad:

- Night's Silence
- Night Mother's

I'm assuming these all have a level 50 requirement, correct? That might take me a while, just restarted a new toon yesterday. Is there a 'noob armor' option? :)
These can be made at whatever level you need.
wire

Post by wire »

Redfive wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:

I know where that pic is from :wink:
All of my new builds have been from that site and I'm tinkering with my lvl 50 Templar based on that site. It was originally an Omega Templar but that build has changed since I last played over a year ago. The leveling Nightblade is blowing through content and made lvl 35 pretty quickly and I'm only about halfway through Shadowfen.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I have a quick game mechanics question. At level 15 you get a 2nd ability bar. When you get XP, do you get it for the skills on both bars or just the bar that is active at the time you get the XP (killing something or turning a quest in).
wire

Post by wire »

ColdSteel wrote:I have a quick game mechanics question. At level 15 you get a 2nd ability bar. When you get XP, do you get it for the skills on both bars or just the bar that is active at the time you get the XP (killing something or turning a quest in).
Just the bar that is active. One trick is to put at least one skill for each of your class abilities and for each weapon you will have slotted at lvl 15. For instance my low level Sorcerer will be primary dual weapon and secondary bow. From level 3 (when I got a bow to equip) I've had the first bow ability on my ability bar. Once I get to lvl 15 my bow skill should be in the 10-12 skill range.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Active bar only so you should try to have a skill from each skill line on both bars, otherwise pay close attention to which bar you have active when turning in a quest.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Redfive wrote:Active bar only so you should try to have a skill from each skill line on both bars, otherwise pay close attention to which bar you have active when turning in a quest.
Rats, that's what I thought. That'll slow down individual skill leveling some. The skill mechanics is this game are quite different from any other mmo I've tried.
wire wrote:One trick is to put at least one skill for each of your class abilities and for each weapon you will have slotted at lvl 15.
Yeah, I've had a bow skill slotted in since level 1, even though I never use it since I haven't used a bow yet. My bow skill is at 14 and I'll be ready to use Endless Hail with my bow at level 15. I'm at level 14 now so almost there.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I briefly ran my Nightblade last night and made it to 5th level in a couple of hours. I'm going to have a problem, though. I want -all- of the abilities in Nightblade. Stealth kills, shadow abilities, and drain/debuffing. I'm enjoying the dual wield and am not set on what my second weapon will be, but have minor skill in all of them from directly using them in the tutorial (not acquiring skills).

I was sort of thinking two-handed, but I'm left without a ranged pulling tool. A bow would work. Alternately, I could double-down on 1-handed weapons and keep an alternate build where I deck myself out in Heavy Armor with a single 1-H weapon + shield for group taking if Medium + Dual Wield isn't a good 'tank'

I just don't know yet! I don't even know if it's something to worry about! :hawk:

I do like that my Orc was basically plopped out of the netherworld right next to a bunch of crafting tables. My Khajiit had to board a ship and cross the ocean before he could break down anything he found.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Thanks ever so much, wire. I've sent you some emeralds.
wire

Post by wire »

Paingod wrote:I briefly ran my Nightblade last night and made it to 5th level in a couple of hours. I'm going to have a problem, though. I want -all- of the abilities in Nightblade. Stealth kills, shadow abilities, and drain/debuffing. I'm enjoying the dual wield and am not set on what my second weapon will be, but have minor skill in all of them from directly using them in the tutorial (not acquiring skills).

I was sort of thinking two-handed, but I'm left without a ranged pulling tool. A bow would work. Alternately, I could double-down on 1-handed weapons and keep an alternate build where I deck myself out in Heavy Armor with a single 1-H weapon + shield for group taking if Medium + Dual Wield isn't a good 'tank'

I just don't know yet! I don't even know if it's something to worry about! :hawk:

I do like that my Orc was basically plopped out of the netherworld right next to a bunch of crafting tables. My Khajiit had to board a ship and cross the ocean before he could break down anything he found.
All three of the starting areas have crafting tables and a bank...Khenarthi’s Roost is the only starting area that you have to work to get to the crafting area. Bleakrock Isle is right in the starting town and Stros M’Kai it is up the hill by the inn in the starting town.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

wire wrote:All three of the starting areas have crafting tables and a bank...Khenarthi’s Roost is the only starting area that you have to work to get to the crafting area. Bleakrock Isle is right in the starting town and Stros M’Kai it is up the hill by the inn in the starting town.
Being brand new and playing a Khajiit, I didn't know where to craft. I simply moved forward until I found something.

The desert I'm playing in with my Orcish Nightblade is a very well made beginning zone. Lots of nooks and crannies, lots of opportunities to find treasure chests that no one sees because they don't go around those corners. It seems like there's always something to kill, and no shortage of enemies means no shortage of experience and researchable items. Lots of resource nodes, too. He's stockpiled something like 50 Maple Wood and 95 Iron Ore just from running around last night. I haven't done any crafting with him yet aside from making a few drinks out of ingredients I'd otherwise trash, and breaking down weapons & armor I have no use for.

My experience with the Khajiit was less 'abundant'. Maybe it was because I moved onto a "bigger town" from the newbie zone so early, but resources were scarce, chests were hard to find, and there were hardly any wandering critters to pick on.

On the whole I'm enjoying the Nightblade more than the Summoner, so I know what I'll be playing for a while.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm enjoying ESO a lot and it's a fine game but whoever developed the UI of the Guild Store was obviously on drugs at the time. It's pathetically bad. You can't search for items. You can't sort by anything but price. And worst of all, you can't buy partial stacks. I mean, wtf? I need to buy a carnelian and the only stack of those in the store was 110 for 5900 gold. I either have to buy all 110 or not buy any at all. There might as well not be any for sale. Just mind boggling and stupid UI decisions there on the part of the developer.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This might help? Apparently you can right-click to split a stack in the Guild Store (PC version), or "Triangle" on PS4, or "Y" on XBox. Not at home and can't test it out to see if this is still current info.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:Apparently you can right-click to split a stack in the Guild Store (PC version)
You can right-click to split when in your own inventory or in the bank screen but not when in a guild store. You cannot buy partial stacks in the guild stores by selecting the number from the stack you want to buy (like you can in some other MMOs). It apparently was a conscious decision on the devs part to do this but the reasoning behind it escapes me. It makes the seller split and list single items to sell and most folks just don't do that.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, that's righteously lame. It basically breaks the Guild Store for anyone who's not rolling in dough.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:It basically breaks the Guild Store for anyone who's not rolling in dough.
What it does is force you to hunt for and visit other guild stores to get what you need. Maybe that was their intent. After visiting my 6th guild store I was finally able to find a stack of 2 at double the market cost. So, I got what I needed eventually but it was time consuming and pointless.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Is there some kind of "Trade Guild" you can join where people list a lot of things for sale?
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Indeed there is.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I'm in a trade guild and have gotten a couple others in as well. I can invite and will be happy to as long as I can catch you online when there are free spots.

The guild is always near or at the 500 cap but they regularly purge users that haven't logged in for two weeks (the only requirement for this guild).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Can you outline how the Trade Guilds work? Aside from logging in once every couple of weeks, is it just a place to post sales? Are they "in chat" sales, or something more complex?

By no means am I asking to join. I have a smattering of newbie junk that I wouldn't know the value of (though apparently some of the alchemical ingredients I'm holding have value?).
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Trade guilds are just guilds whose primary purpose/goal is to sell stuff. That's their main focus and the focus of all the people that join them. You can belong to up to 5 guilds at once in ESO so some folks will have a regular guild and then also join one or more trading guilds to sell their stuff. The big trading guilds have paid for prime spots to sell their stuff from so they'll have a NPC merchant placed in the big cities (like Daggerfall) so they get a lot of traffic and sales. It's expensive though so they constantly have to keep making money in order to maintain their rented prime location spots. A lot of them have very strict requirements for their members due to this.

Edit: And no, these are not in-chat sales. They use the guild store interface.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

ColdSteel wrote:A lot of them have very strict requirements for their members due to this.
This is what has kept me away from trade guilds. I don't live in a world where I can be a consistent player, and it isn't at all unusual for me to leave a game untouched for weeks at a time when I get busy. Unfortunately, ESO doesn't seem to take players like me into account when it comes to selling, so I have to get by just vendoring stuff.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sounds like a game with a desperate need for an auction house.

Christmas, just as website with a searchable database where you could list your items and prices along with in-game handles would be enough - though I suppose they've broken it so you can't even do a one to one trade without going through a Guild, right?
Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Seems to be a lot of heart burn about this but I would give it a shot first.

I resisted joining a trading guild until the first of this year but that was more because it felt like work to me than because I wasn't interested. I asked for a price check in zone chat one day and struck up a conversation with the person that answered and he sent me an invitation on the spot.

The listings stay on the market for 30 days (this may be an adjustable setting, I don't know) and either it sells or it doesn't but items are not bid upon. The addons that complement this help you to price appropriately and if there is a market for your items and you have them priced appropriately they'll sell.

I acknowledge that I'm a fair bit more easy going with game systems than others but I really don't have an issue with the way this is implemented in the game and it hasn't taken a bit of the enjoyment out.

You can most definitely do one on one trades..Hover the reticle over another player and push 'F' This will bring up a wheel of choices and one of them is trade.

I've said multiple times in the thread and Paingod, I think you acknowledged, but there is most definitely a market for the items a day 1 player can gather and it can be lucrative. Nirnroot was averaging 200gp ea when I checked the other night. You can get 15-20 of those in an hour easily running along the waterways in The Stonefalls. That doesn't take into consideration all of the other items you can pick up that have value. I'm sure other low level zones are similar.
Last edited by Redfive on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The whole Trade Guild system is - by far - my least favorite part of ESO. Seems like such a bad system
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

If you guys need just a couple of some crafting material (blacksmithing, woodworking, tailoring), check with me. You can look for me online or ask here.
If you want to sell some stuff, some of us are in a trading guild with Redfive. I can't speak for the others, but I'm willing to sell your stuff for you if guild membership doesn't work so well for you.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've looked at other discussions about the lack of an auction house and people with limited play time, and the idea of using trade chat always crops up as the answer, but again: nobody with limited play time wants to spend it sitting around in trade chat, either.

It's a good game, and a lot of fun, but it has a huge hole when it comes to time-light players.

The funny thing is, it isn't my gaming time in general that's so limited, it is my freedom to play a game that can't be paused or saved for extended periods at once. It makes MMOs in general harder to work into my schedule these days than other types of games. No option to sell without committing time just to doing business is a real thorn in the side with ESO. It also does an effective job of locking out content that is money-based (like housing.)

Still, I like it as a single player RPG with friend chat and co-op mode.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

That makes sense.

I'll then echo what Bad Demographic said and will be happy to sell any items you'd like on the guild store. You will get far more that way than just vendoring.

If you want you can just send it to me via mail and that will give me a written record of what items you've sent.

Heck, I'd be happy to just check with Master Merchant and just ship you the amount of gold the items go for on the market--you can just sell to me. I'll either turn around and break even on it or use them myself.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does Master Merchant show that info in tooltips? I have no idea which of my stuff is even worth selling.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Blackhawk wrote:Does Master Merchant show that info in tooltips? I have no idea which of my stuff is even worth selling.
It will pop up a window when you mouse over the item if it has any data. The catch is that I don't know how it gathers data for this. I know (because I've seen it happen) that different people can get slightly different reports from it so my speculation is that it gets its data when you interact with a guild store. I could be way off base though--need to look into it.

A good rule of thumb is that any alchemical materials will be worth more than you can vendor and in many (even most) cases, a fair bit more.

Items like heartwood, resin, bast (i.e. things used for furniture) also go for a high amount.

If you melt items to raise your skills anything blue, purple, or gold will fetch higher prices ( this one is kind of a derp one since we all know what those colors mean if you play an MMO).

Look here. I haven't read through it yet but I expect there is good information in that thread.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've used similar addons in other games. Some maintain an external database, some (like this) build the database locally and directly as you shop/sell/browse.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

It's a database built off of the history for 'x' number of days for all of the guilds you belong to. So, doesn't appear useful if you aren't in any trade guilds.

You can ask for a price check in zone chat or in guild chat, of course you don't want to just randomly run down the list in zone chat checking all of your prices.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Exactly. I get Bethesda wanting to push people into guilds, but there are reasons that public auction houses are standard in other MMOs. I can spend ten minutes once a week in LotRO, WoW, or Rifts and sell whatever I have from one location. If I miss a month, my expired stuff will be in the mail when I get back.
wire

Post by wire »

One thing I never understood is why they make it hard for guilds to own guild merchant kiosk. There are a limited number of guild store kiosks in each zone and limited number of zones. If your guild loses out on the blind bid for a kiosk they are SOL until the next bidding cycle rolls around. I can't imagine it's much fun for the guild leaders having to deal with this each week.

I guess we can be lucky they didn't make it like the old MMO's where your character had to remain logged in for your store to be open.