Elder Scrolls the MMO

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Enigma

Re: Elder Scrolls the MMO

Post by Enigma »

I'm kind of fascinated by this discussion and thinking about trying it out. What do I need to buy to get started and would I need the subscription?
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Enigma wrote:I'm kind of fascinated by this discussion and thinking about trying it out. What do I need to buy to get started and would I need the subscription?
All you need is The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited to get started and try it out:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/30613 ... Unlimited/

They had a big sale recently and it was less than $10 then. So you can wait for the Steam Summer sale in a few weeks if you want to save some money. Also, there's a (more expensive) gold edition that includes all the DLC but I'd wait until you're sure you'll stick around before buying the DLC, there's a ton of content without it. There's also an ESO+ subscription for $15 a month but you don't need it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Enigma wrote:I'm kind of fascinated by this discussion and thinking about trying it out. What do I need to buy to get started and would I need the subscription?
Cool!

Keep us posted here when you decide and we'll get you into the guild.

The new expansion, Morrowind(!), drops in a few days.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

A couple of us are on now if anyone wants to get going with the group activities.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Had a quest that required me picking a lock. After a dozen tries I just kept forcing the lock until I got in. Even then I couldn't take the endboss.
I still don't know how to get to OO land.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

OO land?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The Guild.

What is it? Is it a map location? Is it just a chat room? Is it a place in my mind?
I know how to use the chat room but understanding what and where the OO guild is,is beyond me.
You have to remember I have almost no experience in MMOs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Ah, okay. It's mostly just the chat. But hit the "g" key to call up the guild screen and then you can view all the guild members there (from the roster tab) and see who's logged on and where they are. If you want to visit the "guild house" (that's really just redfive's residence) just right click on @redfive on the roster page and select visit primary residence. It's a very nice place to visit. The "o" key calls up the social page and you can also send friend requests from there to whoever you want, including guild members.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks! That's what I needed to know.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Anyone in Morrowind yet?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Redfive wrote:Anyone in Morrowind yet?
I went to fire up my dailies yesterday and started to download a 7GB patch. I didn't really feel like dealing with that and moved onto MechWarrior Online. I intended to launch ESO and let it patch overnight but forgot to.

Unfortunately, I'm not excited. As a new player, I'm still seeing a lot of new things and nothing has gotten old yet. Piling on more content just adds to the backlog. :wink:

What I need to find are a bunch of wooden weapons and shields. I'm completely out of research projects for those and I'd be willing to reimburse someone gems and materials if they could craft a bunch of Maple stuff I can research. I'm almost out of Medium armor projects as well, with maybe one or two left. I still have a ton of metal weapons and armor to work through, as well as a lot of Light armor. I don't know an easy way to put together a list of what I'm missing short of handwriting it. :|

Do people sell "research" project items through Guild stores? It doesn't seem like it would be lucrative, and kind of encourages the competition.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have 6 hours logged for this game, but I've only played it for 30 minutes. The other 5.5 hours has been downloading various updates. Thanks for the reminder on the 7GB download for the newest one. That'll be another few hours. Maybe I'll be able to play this weekend. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Paingod wrote:
Redfive wrote:Anyone in Morrowind yet?
I don't know an easy way to put together a list of what I'm missing short of handwriting it. :|

Do people sell "research" project items through Guild stores? It doesn't seem like it would be lucrative, and kind of encourages the competition.
It's a pain, but I keep a list of the weapons/traits and of armor/traits in a grid, then fill in an 'x' for traits I've learned (or am researching). I fill in an 'o' if I haven't researched it yet but have an item with that trait. I also started having my other 2 characters do some light research so they can make a researchable item for my main character. For stuff they can make (or are researching) I'll write in (very small) their initial.
That's probably not very clear.
In the grid - which I keep only for the main character - if he knows the trait for a weapon or piece , that grid space gets an x. If he's currently researching same, the space gets an x.
For traits he doesn't know, if he has an item with that trait, the space gets an o.
If doesn't know a trait - for instance Sword/Decisive - and doesn't yet have a sword with that trait, I'll try to have character 2 research Sword/Decisive. Then character 2 can make a sword with decisive when character 1 needs to research it (thus saving some inventory space).
Kind of makes inventory management a bigger pain.

What do you mean by "research" project items?
I sometimes will sell items that say "grants 280% additional inspiration when deconstructed", but I usually only get about 190 g for them.
And I've occasionally seen people ask if somebody will make them a cheap item with a particular trait so they can research it. I would be willing to do that with you guys, but not with strangers.

This was probably tldr, wasn't it?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Makes perfect sense to me. I've been using the research assistant add-on to see clearly what I have that needs researching and I stuff those in the bank. I suppose I could speed things up a hair and free up some space by having my other character chew through a number of items and then rebuild them later when I was ready - but the odds are that I'd forget and find the juggling of that too cumbersome. I'd rather just have my one character be the crafter and any others be for playing.

I wasn't looking for 'breakdown' research to increase skill levels, though - strictly items with modifiers I don't know and don't have sitting in the bank.

Of the possible 272 item and trait combinations, I probably have 50 done and another 50 in the bank. Now that I actually say it out loud, it sounds like lunacy to ask someone to sit down and make me 150+ items so I can stuff them in the bank for later. I think I'll just play the game and wait to pick things up that I can research. :P
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally visited the bank and got to see what's in there. I guess it's time for me to start emptying the bank. ;)
I've been trying a lot to unlock things but it eludes me. I had one house I had to unlock to finish a quest. I gave up and kept "forcing" the lock until it worked. It gave me multiple tries so what the hell. :think:
I'm level 17 and can just barely beat things and taking two at a time is a risk. I suppose I need to invest more in offensive. I spend a lot of time sneaking in the mean time.
I have researched a couple of things in blacksmithing but haven't been able to use that. :hawk:
I ran out of space for quests. :shock: Now I'm have to go back and try them some more. I have some that I see no way to finish. Is there anyway to drop the quests?
And unlike Skyrim you do not approach strangers for the most part. "Hi! My name is Hogeye." <slash>
Fuck You! :evil:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
wire

Post by wire »

List what woodworking items you need to research here or send in-game mail to @rwire and I'll make them and send them to you. I've researched everything in woodworking except for Nirnhorn.
Bad Demographic

Don't feel bad if you can't pick locks, dbt. My spousal unit is around level 90 and is terrible at it.
Also don't feel bad if you can't beat 2 enemies at once. First - as you go up in levels you'll get more hp, better weapons and better armor. Second - you'll get more skills (and they can be morphed) and they will help you too. Third - your tactics (you, dbt, not your character) will probably improve with practice.
I've only recently discovered I can often fight three things at once - and am still surprised to beat two things at once (and i'm level 200).

To drop a quest - hit "j" to get your quest journal. Select the quest you want to drop. Hit "x" (abandon quest). When you're in the journal, or your inventory, or other interfaces, there's usually a menu of sorts at the bottom of the screen. Also try right-clicking on things to see if there's a menu showing what you can do (for instance, right-click on an item in your inventory).

As you approach a person, animal, or monster, if it's hostile it will have a red glow around it. If it has a yellow glow around it, or no glow, it's non-hostile.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Smoove_B wrote:I have 6 hours logged for this game, but I've only played it for 30 minutes. The other 5.5 hours has been downloading various updates. Thanks for the reminder on the 7GB download for the newest one. That'll be another few hours. Maybe I'll be able to play this weekend. :D

Didn't know you were playing. Let us know here once you make it in and we'll get you a guild invitation.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, now it's up to 11 hours of logged time, 30 minutes of actually playing the game. I think I'm still in the tutorial. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wire

Post by wire »

I played Morrowind for a bit last night and didn't get very far before heading to bed. One cool thing so far is that they didn't change the layout of the land much from the standalone Morrowind game. You even start the area walking off the ship into the Customs House. I thought that was pretty cool callback to the original game.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Warden's abilities at the early stages and I have yet to find a staff to use so I can get my weapon skills unlocked. All Warden class skills are Magicka based, one line is pet attacks, another healing and the last cold based. They sped up lower level leveling with the DLC so look forward to get to lvl 15 a bit sooner for that second weapon slot.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I never knew there was a tutorial.
I guess I'm far enough along now I don't need it.
I get so wound up when I'm playing I get a headache. If I play until bedtime I can sleep.
It's like marriage. You love it but it causes so much pain.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

wire wrote:I played Morrowind for a bit last night and didn't get very far before heading to bed. One cool thing so far is that they didn't change the layout of the land much from the standalone Morrowind game. You even start the area walking off the ship into the Customs House. I thought that was pretty cool callback to the original game.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Warden's abilities at the early stages and I have yet to find a staff to use so I can get my weapon skills unlocked. All Warden class skills are Magicka based, one line is pet attacks, another healing and the last cold based. They sped up lower level leveling with the DLC so look forward to get to lvl 15 a bit sooner for that second weapon slot.
Warden abilities can be morphed to use stamina instead of magicka. Of course that means there's not much of choice when it's time to morph based on which stat you focus on. I loitered around Seyda Neen for the old school flash back then walked to Vivec to get the hell out. Way too many people there, my number one gripe with ESO, the frequent loss of immersion while questing.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

dbt1949 wrote:I'm level 17 and can just barely beat things and taking two at a time is a risk. I suppose I need to invest more in offensive. I spend a lot of time sneaking in the mean time.
For DK's you'll want to morph lava whip into flame lash. Use an ability to stun or immobilize the enemy, I prefer Dark Talons since it's great for AOE but Stone Fist works as well. Then flame lash, which unbalances the enemy and changes flame lash into Power Lash, which does a lot of damage. So it's basically cast Molten Weapons- Dark Talons-Flame lash-Flame lash on same target. There's a 5 second cooldown on unbalancing enemies so you'll want to hit him with another ability or basic attack before you start the rotation again. You don't really get AoE abilites until level 20+ and it's best when you can get Inhale at level 42 Draconic Power. One problem with DK's and using swords/shield or two-hander is the DK abilities are magic based and the weapons are stamina. But they've recently made it better with the last patch where some DK abilities can be morphed into stamina based so watch for those when you can morph abilities.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'll go thru my complete repertoire for each individual. Hold them in place, flame lash (or whatever's higher), fire and finally knock them back. If I'm attacking from a distance first I'll pounce on them.
It all depends on how many red potions I have stored in Q. I also like to eat something to increase my health bar before going after the biggies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bad Demographic

wire wrote:I played Morrowind for a bit last night and didn't get very far before heading to bed. One cool thing so far is that they didn't change the layout of the land much from the standalone Morrowind game. You even start the area walking off the ship into the Customs House. I thought that was pretty cool callback to the original game.

Nostalgia!
I also loved the music of Morrowind so I'm happy to hear it again.

I'll be watching your (collective "you") impressions of and discussions about the new Morrowind.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

If you put something up for sale through your guild and it never sells, does it automatically come back to you?

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

It will expire and come back to you in the mail.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

So far I am enjoying the Warden class, it is a very interesting mix of abilities. Quite a few of the skills can actually be morphed to key off of stamina as an aside. I am up to I believe level 12 and currently leveling the character to be a mix of mage/healer, using a staff and pumping up magika. The new landmass is beautiful.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have a very long ways to go before I'll even think about Morrowind. I'm sick and tired of having <You need to have Morrowind before you can go there>. I resent them loading it in my PC. Took up some of my play time, takes up more space on my computer, and all the Morrowind references I have to put up with now.
These people aren't the only ones of course. Steam seems to encourage it from everybody. None the less this is a trend I don't care for.
Still enjoying my exploration and monster killing. Level 20 finally.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bad Demographic

Once you complete the main story, can you go to Coldharbor? I have some treasure maps and am wondering if I should have them with me - or if I can go back at some time to look for the treasure chests.

Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I am about to start this, played it when it first came out but am starting over and will start on the US servers and would be grateful to get a guild invite. It seems I have 2 of the DLC which I got when I subscribed and spent the crowns on them.

I gather there is little point in me getting the Morrowind stuff yet as I am starting over.

Is there anyone I can add as a friend to join the guild etc

Cheers
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Bad Demographic wrote:Once you complete the main story, can you go to Coldharbor? I have some treasure maps and am wondering if I should have them with me - or if I can go back at some time to look for the treasure chests.
Hopefully without much that is spoilerish, let's say "at some point before you complete the main story, you can go to Coldharbour."

Reemul - Redfive should be able to hook you up with a guild invite.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Reemul wrote:I am about to start this, played it when it first came out but am starting over and will start on the US servers and would be grateful to get a guild invite. It seems I have 2 of the DLC which I got when I subscribed and spent the crowns on them.

I gather there is little point in me getting the Morrowind stuff yet as I am starting over.

Is there anyone I can add as a friend to join the guild etc

Cheers
I certainly can but unfortunately I'm out of town for the holiday weekend. Try adding @arkon to your friends list as he is the guildmaster and has messaged me that he is playing again. Unfortunately, I can't promote people to officer--only the GM can--or we'd have more people that can send out invitations.

Keep posting here and add us to your friends list and we will be happy to help / answer questions, or do stuff in game with you.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

I will be on this afternoon for a bit. I will try going through the roster and see if there is anyone who is regularly on who needs to be promoted to officer, we had quite a few previously but perhaps most of the folks have stopped playing.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Bad Demographic

I'm running around in Anvil now. The layout is pretty similar to the Anvil in Oblivion - I'm pretty sure that in Oblivion there were people fishing in the pond next to the circular plaza. It makes me think I should ride around until I find Cheydinhal - I think that's where the necrophiliac was.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Oh my god, Redfive. I joined the Dark Brotherhood and just did the first quest (still have to report in) - that Blade of Woe is like crack!
I needed to go find some stolen ingots for somebody and went around assassinating any smugglers who alone.

Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Bad Demographic wrote:Oh my god, Redfive. I joined the Dark Brotherhood and just did the first quest (still have to report in) - that Blade of Woe is like crack!
I needed to go find some stolen ingots for somebody and went around assassinating any smugglers who alone.
:horse:

I told you so.

Or perhaps more appropriately: :ninja:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was in Anvil last night finishing some quests. I might still be there. I don't remember.
Right now I keep looking for the "northwest passage"......a way across the continent east to west.
Everywhere I've been so far blocks it with mountains.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Congrats on the promotions guys.
Bad Demographic

Redfive wrote:Congrats on the promotions guys.
Thanks. Now we'll have better coverage for inviting OOers.

Black Lives Matter