Wildfire?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zekester

Wildfire?

Post by Zekester »

From Gamestop.com:

"* Battle against the clock in more than 20 blazing challenges!

* Realistic fire physics that burn according to fuel type, wind and weather.

* Control fire starters, bulldozers, water trucks, helicopters airplanes and more as you attempt to quash raging wildfires.

* Over 300 scenario variations in Random Play Mode.

* A portion of the proceeds from the sale of each game go to fund the Cooperative Forest Fire Prevention Program. "

Has anyone here tried this game?
I'm a sucker for these obscure-type value games :idea:
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Kschang77

It's in Bestbuy

Post by Kschang77 »

At least I saw some copies there, in Best Buy.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Funny you should post about this as I have been playing the demo and find it oddly compelling. I find it pretty difficult since I know nothing about fighting fires, but the mechanics are pretty straightforward-- and as an added bonus it's enorsed by no less than SMOKEY the BEAR himself! 8)

Link to Demo
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

gorham,
i'm on dial-up, so that demo is just about out of the question for me right now.

How does it play?
I've played "Firefighter FD" for the PS2, so is it anything like that?

Any info on it would be helpful, as I might just buy it soon.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Well, it's a RTS game in a 3d setting. THe graphics aren't great but they're not bad either. I've only played a few demo missions thus far and they seem to be more of a tutorial, but you have access to certain units that perform discrete functions. For example, in one mission you have access to a bulldozer that can dig fire breaks to prevent the spread of a fire. Supposedly wind plays a factor, but I haven't figured that one out yet. You also have access to firefighters that can put out fires, cut down trees and dig fire breaks (although much more slowly than the bulldozer). In the latest mission, I got access to a pump truck and smoke jumpers. Smoke jumpers can quickly drop into hot spots (while the regular units have to walk in). The pump truck can put out fires in tree canopies that the ground units can't reach.

It's actually pretty interesting and requires strategy as I found myself quickly losing the tutorial missions if I didn't pay attention and go in with a plan. The objectives themselves seem a bit artificial-- stop spread of fire before 50 acres burn, but it keeps the pressure on. It's nice that it's got a different focus than the usual RTS fare and it's certainly good for a diversion.

P.S. I don't have any consoles so I don't know anything about the game you mentioned zekester to compare.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Thanks gorham.

I like RTS's and this subject matter, so i'm gonna buy it.
LordGek

Hmmm...

Post by LordGek »

I've played the demo a little, kinda cute, but here is where I get anal/weird and would love to hear from folk with the full version:

Are you limited to just 10 seeds for each of these so-called random scenarios? I love random maps but HATE the concept of limited seeds or whatever. It sounds to me as if they're saying each of these scripted "random" scenarios has only 10 variations.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Heh
went to MediaPlay to buy this, but they didn't have it.
Ended up leaving there with "In Fisherman Freshwater Trophies" instead :shock:
Zekester

Re: Hmmm...

Post by Zekester »

LordGek wrote:I've played the demo a little, kinda cute, but here is where I get anal/weird and would love to hear from folk with the full version:

Are you limited to just 10 seeds for each of these so-called random scenarios? I love random maps but HATE the concept of limited seeds or whatever. It sounds to me as if they're saying each of these scripted "random" scenarios has only 10 variations.
Lordgek,
from the manual:

There are 360 total combinations for the random play scenarios (4 worlds X 10 seeds X 9 difficulty settings)

Seed determines where the fire(s) will start, difficulty determines what kind of scenario i.e. spot fires, save civilians, etc.
LordGek

Enh...

Post by LordGek »

That really should be more than enough but, even if there are 100's of seeds, I hate the SEED concept (maybe cute if optional but not even a big fan then). Heck, if it only had a good 20 maps it would probably be more than I'd ever really go through but I just like the CONCEPT that a random map generator being able to make tens of thousands slight variations.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I'm having a good time with this game.

Finished about 7 of the challenges, and it's getting tough tough tough.
Sometimes even frustrating, but it makes you try a better strategy.

Definately worth the $20.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

I may just have to pick this one up then. But I think I will hold out until it hits the $10-$15 mark though 8) The demo will tide me over until then.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

The wind does make a difference.

As soon as it shifts, the fires do too. And even the smoke blows in the right direction :wink:

There's not a whole lot of units to work with, but the fire itself adds the variety since it burns differently every time.