Diablo 3 Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Re: Diablo 3 Impressions

Post by Lorini »

Daehawk wrote:Only like the campaign in D3. In D1 and D2 I was all about the mp. Im forced to do the adventure part bounties as the Necro because thats all they have.
There simply is no point to doing the campaign now. If you start a seasons character, they don't ever have to do the campaign. The reason they went to bounties and rifts is that they allow you to much better tailor your character to exactly what you want.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Thinking about jumping back in. Played alot at launch but hated some of the stuff they did which apparently is fixed now (like real money auctions). Is it worth it to come back without the expansion pack? Also need to look into Seasons because I never heard about this either.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm phone posting but I'll give you guys a full rundown later this morning.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I honestly don't remember what the original was like. My assumption is that you should certainly take a look. If you don't like what's there, then you'll have a better idea of whether the expansion will make it better. My vague recollection is that the expansion made the game a lot better; but I can't say whether it's even worth playing without it.

Sounds like Lorini will have a better response. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Respectfully disagree. There's little value in the base game, and if you buy the base game and then the expansion then you'll end up paying $10 more vs buying the D3 battle chest. Frankly they shouldn't even sell anything but the battle chest.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

And that must be why my vague recollection was that the expansion changed the game a LOT. :D

Blizzard doesn't like to do sales, but there might be one when the Necromancer expansion gets released. As a "keep that in mind" ... thing.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

From the wiki:
Reaper of Souls adds a number of new features to the core gameplay of Diablo III. These include a new character class, the Crusader,[1] who specializes in defensive play, large weapons (including newly introduced types like flails), specialized "Crusader shields", and holy magic. A fifth Act is added, which follows the Nephalem's quest through the remains of Westmarch and the Pandemonium Fortress to stop Malthael and his allies. In addition to the campaign, the expansion adds an "Adventure Mode", where players are free to roam the entire world and take on random Bounties and dungeons (called "Nephalem Rifts") at their leisure.[3] A new artisan, the Mystic, can enhance the properties and appearance of the player's equipment. The expansion also raises the level cap to 70 (up from 60), and adds new skills, runes, and passive abilities for all characters, as well as a fourth slot for passive skills that unlocks when the character reaches level 70.
Yeah... I wouldn't want to play without the expansion.

1) Crusader - Meh. Not a class that I generally like. Though my current Season character is a Crusader. Running with a Steed build is interesting.
2) 5th Act - Just more things to fight. I'm not sure I'd miss it that much.
3) Adventure Mode - A MUST. I can't imagine playing with only the Campaign option.
4) The Mystic - A MUST. Being able to reroll an items stats makes a lot more items viable.
5) 70 Level Cap - The new end game skills are generally pretty good. And getting the extra passive. Required? I don't know.

Edit: Oh, and apparently Kadala/Blood Shards are also part of it. Again, pretty much a must have.

Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

Sounds interesting. I'm pissed I just let my WoW sub run out. I could have bought the D3 expansion with my free Wow gold. Reaper costs $19 which is about worth 100k WoW gold and I have over 2million gold in WoW but I would have to resub to use the token.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

You might be able to work a deal out with a current WoW subscriber. Have them buy you a token so that you can reactivate your WoW account (granted, it will mean a "wasted" month), but then you'd have access to your gold. Or something like that?

Black Lives Matter

Jag

Post by Jag »

TheMix wrote:You might be able to work a deal out with a current WoW subscriber. Have them buy you a token so that you can reactivate your WoW account (granted, it will mean a "wasted" month), but then you'd have access to your gold. Or something like that?
I can reactivate my account using my own gold. It lets you do that in WoW, you just can't do that to put money into your battle.net account. You actually have to be logged into your wow game to use the token for cash. My sub just lapsed last week and I don't want to resub because I'll start playing again.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here's the Blizzard page for the expansion.

I would add bounties for crafting with the Cube and blood shards for gambling as an attraction of the expansion. Seasons are where you start out with a brand new character and level it to 70. Along the way if you meet the objectives set out, you'll eventually get a full set of upgraded armor and it's good stuff, not junk. You'll be notified a couple of weeks before the season ends so you'll know where you are. If you join the lljk community (not the dead clan) they'll be happy to powerlevel you. Right now the initial burst of the season that started earlier this month is dying down but you should still be able to get a power level if you are on during prime time. That community is associated with somethingawful.com.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'd also be willing to help with power leveling.

I just completed my last Champion objective. Mastered a set dungeon with 5 seconds to spare. Whew!

So I'm pretty much done with the Season for now barring multiplayer stuff.

Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I agree that the adventure mode is worth the price of admission all by itself. However, I'm planning on running the campaign with the Necro just to see their perspective and conversations are for the storyline. Call me a sucker, but I liked the story and I am interested to see how the Necro fits in and why they show up.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
KDH

Post by KDH »

Jag wrote:.. I would have to resub to use the token.

Is there any way a guest pass or trial version could get you in long enough to do what you need?
Ain't nobody got time for that
Jag

Post by Jag »

KDH wrote:
Jag wrote:.. I would have to resub to use the token.

Is there any way a guest pass or trial version could get you in long enough to do what you need?
I've read that Blizz could give you a short login window to deal with tokens. But I can't go back into WoW Legion right now because I was playing it way too much :D
KDH

Post by KDH »

:evil: ...

No Price .. No Release Date
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

At least it's coming and I'm sure it'll be released by Blizzcon. I'm still waiting on my beta invite.
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Rise of the Necromancer pack comes out next Tuesday 6/27, priced at $14.99.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-iii/dia ... date-price
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gilraen wrote:Rise of the Necromancer pack comes out next Tuesday 6/27, priced at $14.99.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/diablo-iii/dia ... date-price
Fine. You win. :tjg:

I'm still surprised it's that cheap. :P

Black Lives Matter

whitefang

Post by whitefang »

That's not my favourite Diablo, but sometimes I like to play.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

A college friend of mine keeps playing this and asked if I wanted back in. It's been a couple seasons since I've played so I might jump in for a round. I'm just dreading cleaning out my inventory from last time. So much stuff clogging up my bank.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Baroquen wrote:A college friend of mine keeps playing this and asked if I wanted back in. It's been a couple seasons since I've played so I might jump in for a round. I'm just dreading cleaning out my inventory from last time. So much stuff clogging up my bank.
This is why you do Seasons :).
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just wish I was good enough to get the extra bank tabs. Sadly, I am not even close. But I do almost have 4 complete sets for each class. Not sure what my goal will be after that....

Black Lives Matter

Tao

Post by Tao »

Diablo 3 base game and Reaper of Souls expansion are both on sale for 50% off. You can get the bundle for $19.99. Pretty good deal particularly as Blizzard does not put the game on sale that often. Necromancer expansion is an additional $15.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Tao wrote:Diablo 3 base game and Reaper of Souls expansion are both on sale for 50% off. You can get the bundle for $19.99. Pretty good deal particularly as Blizzard does not put the game on sale that often. Necromancer expansion is an additional $15.
Any idea how long the sale lasts?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Tao

Post by Tao »

Looking around the interwebs it would appear Blizzard has not released any dates related to the sale.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Tao wrote:Looking around the interwebs it would appear Blizzard has not released any dates related to the sale.
Thanks Tao. I did look before asking but couldn't find anything either. I thought someone might have an inside tip from deep in the web. :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Fired up a Necromancer last night. I had a Dex Ancient 2H sword with a Gem of Ease. I also had an Int Hellfire ring. I also had ~750 Paragon points to spend. Got those equipped as soon as I hit town. Then upped the difficulty to T6.

I was level 54 when I found Cain. I got him back to town and knocked out the Blacksmith quest. Ended up as level 56.

My biggest problem now is that my gear can't keep up. I had to go threw and craft a bunch.

I'm debating re-rolling the Dex on the sword to Int to make it more useful. It's likely getting close to end-of-life usefulness.

That was some crazy fast leveling though. :D

Black Lives Matter

KDH

Post by KDH »

Season Eleven announced ... Blizzard shows you the goodies you won't be good enough to qualify for .. oh, did I say that out loud?
Spoiler:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I really need to download this again for my PS4. I know I know, but omg it's like the best co-op game ever on the ps4. 8-)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
KDH

Post by KDH »

I'm not a console player .. but I've seen a couple articles about the PS4 version being the best version of D3 .. one comment even asked blizzard if the PC version was just a Beta for the PS4 .. the answer was: no :naughty:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have both, and vastly prefer the PS4 version. It's not even close, tbh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Skinypupy wrote:I have both, and vastly prefer the PS4 version. It's not even close, tbh.
Agreed. I honestly can't imagine playing this without a controller now.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You can play it with a controller, though, even a PS4 controller, on the PC. Why is the PS4 version better other than that?

Also, I am not one to replay games...ever (very very few exceptions), but from what I read in the past few pages, this game is better when replayed for some reason?

I played all the previous Diablo's, once through, and just did not see a compelling reason to go back and replay them - what am I missing? Additional content?

And if I SHOULD play it again for some reason, after this initial experience, does that mean I should not be selling anything I can't use for my current character? Save it for some future content and/or different character class?

Thanks
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You only play the story once. After that it is adventure mode, where you run around completing bounties to get stuff to do rifts to get stuff to get better to do harder to get better to.... well, you can take it from there.

I bought the necro DLC last night and started one and I never went into story mode, straight to adventure mode.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

With a new character I will usually do story up to killing the Skeleton King. Then it's over to Adventure mode.

Though with my necro, I was almost 70 by the time I finished off the Skeleton King. Gotta love Gems of Ease.

:horse:

Black Lives Matter

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Downloaded it again on my PS4 yesterday. I never finished the main story so I'm planning on running through the whole thing with the kiddo. Nothing says family time like running through and murdering a million things together. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote:You only play the story once. After that it is adventure mode, where you run around completing bounties to get stuff to do rifts to get stuff to get better to do harder to get better to.... well, you can take it from there.

I bought the necro DLC last night and started one and I never went into story mode, straight to adventure mode.
I run through the story every time I roll a new character. Been through it 6 times now.

Currently midway through Act II with my Necro.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, 6 times? To clarify, it's the same content and levels/maps every time, right? Again I feel like I am missing something. Procedural generation? :D
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Wow, 6 times? To clarify, it's the same content and levels/maps every time, right? Again I feel like I am missing something. Procedural generation? :D
You are thinking of the campaign. No one that I know of plays the campaign. The Adventure mode is where it's at. The Adventure mode consists of bounties and rifts. You are working on improving your character through drops, blood shards, and crafting mats. You want better gear so that you can get even better gear and run the more difficult content. While the look may be the same, the bonuses are random, the mobs are random and the treasure is random. D3 is not about the story anymore, it's about the gear.
Black Lives Matter