War Thunder..MMO flight sim...and TANKS

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

War Thunder..MMO flight sim...and TANKS

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone heard of this? I got a beta invite and I don't know if it's a real game or what. Never heard of it but the site makes it looks cool.

http://warthunder.com/" target="_blank

Im afraid to do anything with it though till I know more about it.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Harkonis

Re: War Thunder..MMO flight sim

Post by Harkonis »

I think this used to be World of Planes and they changed their name because of World of Warplanes which is by the World of Tanks people. I've heard good things, but haven't checked it out yet.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ah well ok then. I did sign up for both those so guess it's legit after all.

Downloading now. It's under NDA. I can say Im in it but no impressions or screenshots :(
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I left World of Warplanes months ago and now am ready to give War Thunder a serious go. Should I even bother with the arcade part or just jump into the hard core sim one?
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I've been playing War Thunder a lot recently and while I originally broke out the HOTAS, I'm really happy to say that in arcade mode, not only is a joystick not needed, but in fact a mouse and keyboard is probably preferred. Being able to zoom about in crappy Russian biplanes from the couch is great.

And the looks... oh god the looks...

Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've tried it multiple times but have not had a single fun moment with it.

OtOH I have played it's rival, WoWp a ton and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

WT looks amazing and blows away WoWp in that department but has no fun and no soul to it for me.
mori

Post by mori »

The sexiest plane to come out of WWII, I don't care what anyone says. The Italians just know style.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

She's sure purdy, but the Folgore came a bit out of the blue though, after their earlier ugly duck-nose designs.

Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Reviving :)

Just found out about this the other day (don't know why so late!!) and gotten into it. Having played the World of Plane(or warplanes) beta, this is much much better and fun to fly in. Having the different "difficulty" levels of arcade, historic battles and then realistic battles is great.

The planes and upgrade paths are simple, battles are easy to come by and with the ships and land vehicles coming in later this year, I think it will be great. Battles are truly great with burning wreckage strewn everywhere :)

If anyone else is playing, add me as a friend "peldorstirzsaus"
Toe

Post by Toe »

War Thunder: Victory is Ours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-J5Vg0SxLc
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Wow that was amazing. Geez they must of spent a fortune to make that video. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm spending the night figuring out what buttons correspond to what numbers in War Thunder. The trigger on my Rhino is #29. The numbers for the stick end at #42. The first button on the throttle is #50. I have no idea what #43-49 would be attached to.

Oh, I've confirmed that numbers under #29 are currently mapped to my XBox 360 controller. I have a sneaking suspicion that if it were to be unplugged (or worse), all of my button numbers would shift.

:shifty:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Stefan Stirzaker

I love the new patches, the x-ray kill shot cam, the armour screen and the shot cam. And the ability to jump into planes during a battle. Love it so much more than World of Tanks now :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I got some stick time in this evening, managed to make my way to level 3 flying the peashooters. It's nice to have a stable of planes to fly rather than being one and done when you inevitably get outclassed.

I think I'm getting the hang of the stick twist for rudder control, but it's taking some time. I do like having dual fire for the main guns and the big guns. Makes it easier to down someone on 1-2 passes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im coming around to WT. I never liked the airplanes..not at all. In fact I hated it. The flight model, the controls, the UI. I loved World of Tanks and World of Warplanes though and had a lot of fun with them.

Now to mid last year. I heard about WT getting tanks. I got into a beta weekend and hated the movement again but I could see the promise in it. The tanks are super detailed and the maps, while ok, looked to hold promise as well. But what drew me in was the particle effects..smoke, dust, dirt, fire. It made WoT's stuff look silly.

Well here is the tanks open and by God Im loving them! I finally got my controls mapped right and have gotten used to the movements of the tanks. And I was right...the look and hit ability of WT tanks makes WoT look and feel silly. Ive actually stopped playing WoT to focus on WT and Ive found something that Ive lost in WoT...fun. Its there and its easy to have. I get a real kick out of seeing in xray what my shot did to an enemy tank or what their's did to me. Its a really nice part of the game.

And strangely....I can fly the planes now and like them....at least in the tanks battles. You only fly for less than a minute when in a plane..it takes me back out of them quickly for some reason. But I find myself wanting to stay in them for these maps. Im not sure what all changed..me ....them...both....but I love it. I get a real kick out of doing something other players may hate...I dont know......but I love using my tow cable to help out fellow tankers who have rolled their tank over or gotten stuck. I really enjoy helping them out. Makes me smile.

Now if they could add the mud like SpinTires has..OMG that would make my gaming mind melt. Keep in mind Im only playing the arcade style right now. Im not sure I could play and have fun without a crosshair to use and other goodies. But thats ok..I am having fun and thats what matters.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You make me want to try it, Dae, and I'm not even into multiplayer very much. Maybe we should get something going.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wire

Post by wire »

I posted this in the other War Thunder thread...
I downloaded the game the other night and have found myself liking it more than I expected. I'm much better at tank battles than I am with the airplane scenarios. I can at least survive for several minutes in my tank and get in a kill or two before dying. I think it helps a little having actually been armor (cav scout not tanker) in the Army so have a little knowledge of tank tactics. Flying is a whole other thing....when an enemy gets on my tail I can't seem to do anything to shake them. If I get on someone's tail they can pretty much always shake me. I'm guessing it has to do with having a starter plane with crappy maneuverability and speed. Thankfully the downtime between battles is pretty minimal and I've started trying to come in low at the start of each battle and take out as many ground targets before I get taken out to get some xp.
Since posting that I've moved from tier 1 to tier 2 planes and am getting my ass kicked in battles most of the time. That said I am getting better at the controls and tactics and also found that you can train up your crew, which wasn't part of the tutorial at all. I've also found that I enjoy the air battles now over the tank battles. Probably just need to spend more time on the tanks to train them up and get better tanks and I'll start enjoying them again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Logged in today to see it asking me what control I want to use..mouse keyboard of joystick or pad. I picked my mouse kb again and some of my keys are different. It used to be right mose hold to look around without changing my turrets turning. Now today it was zooming me in. I turned that one and if I hold the right mouse to look around my gun is turning with me. Cant find the setting to stop it.
Daehawk

Re: War Thunder..MMO flight sim...and TANKS

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a chat room to chat in between battles like WoT? What good is it if your little StuG takes 35+ hits and lives almost the entire game if you cant brag about it?

I just had 2 great battles. The first one I killed 3 and lived the whole battle in my StuG. I even slipped over a cliff while try to aim, flipped upside down as I went, and hit a rock outcropping on my way down that let me land on my treads and keep going. Only had to repair once.

Next battle I killed 3 tanks right off in the StuG then came upon their nest where 8 more waited. I threw her in reverse and as I backed up killed 2 coming at me and a third that was behind me and I ran into it and slid past to get a shot in the engine on cause I have no turret of course. 4 repairs as I hid behind a rock. I took those 35+ hits in that match. Something big hit me right at the end as we won and Im not sure if I lived ot died but wow that was intense.
wire

Post by wire »

Daehawk wrote:Is there a chat room to chat in between battles like WoT? What good is it if your little StuG takes 35+ hits and lives almost the entire game if you cant brag about it?

I just had 2 great battles. The first one I killed 3 and lived the whole battle in my StuG. I even slipped over a cliff while try to aim, flipped upside down as I went, and hit a rock outcropping on my way down that let me land on my treads and keep going. Only had to repair once.

Next battle I killed 3 tanks right off in the StuG then came upon their nest where 8 more waited. I threw her in reverse and as I backed up killed 2 coming at me and a third that was behind me and I ran into it and slid past to get a shot in the engine on cause I have no turret of course. 4 repairs as I hid behind a rock. I took those 35+ hits in that match. Something big hit me right at the end as we won and Im not sure if I lived ot died but wow that was intense.
There is a chat button on the top of the hangar screen...also a ? (help) button to the far right that shows you what is on the hangar interface.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you. I never knew there was a chat room. After finding it though Im not sure where I strayed into...weird people.
wire

Post by wire »

Daehawk wrote:Thank you. I never knew there was a chat room. After finding it though Im not sure where I strayed into...weird people.
I've only popped in for a few minutes and determined it was much like any other MMO...immature guys acting like idiots, saying things they would most likely never say in public where they could be called out on it face to face.
Stefan Stirzaker

I love the StuG. It was a great tank, the Tigers are pretty good, but if you look at the armour plating, even those have weak points. I like the damage model much better than WoT. Enjoying Realistic battles much more (eg no auto aiming) makes it much harder but also means people don't always hit you from across the map :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate catching fire and having no fire equipment..kinda just have to sit there seeing engine damage engine damage until you melt.

yesterday my turret got blown clean off..was cool.

And today my ammo must have been hit because my tank became an instant jet flame lighter out the top cupola.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dangit, look what you've all gone and done. I've had to go and download it. Dae, hopefully we'll be able to connect one of these nights.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in there a lot off and on during the day. I think Im Daehawk there also. Who are you? If its like WoT theres a way to search for friends..I haven't found it yet. I just discovered chat 2 days ago hahaha.

Im concentrating on the German tank line. From my short testing of the other two I can tell you...

US - Good guns - middling armor
German - balanced - ok guns - ok armor
Russia - Great guns - Pretty good armor

I mainly went German because I love StuGs. Ive got one and researching the next type now.

Also you can be awarded graphical badges. You can resize them by holding shift and using the mouse wheel. I enlarged mine to cover my tank so it looks like I gave them a wild paint job.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Haven't even started yet, but I'll let you know when I've got everything sorted out :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just added you to the friends list in the game, Dae. Friends list is at the top of the screen right beside the chat and message icons.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I searched for Rumpy it showed 4 different ones. Which are you :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, I'm not Rumpy on there. Same as my Steam name :P

Geez, this game is totally addictive. I couldn't stop playing it all evening. I like the more deliberate tactical pace. My best battle yet is one in which I got into 8th place, killing a few while staying alive for quite a bit. It's quite a rewarding game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They just introduced a big new update. I like the tanks stuff with the mud and slippage and such.

Video link
Stefan Stirzaker

New update is good. I like the removal of the 2x, 3x. Visually much better as well, with the shock waves from the overpressure from the tank barrels. I think overall, the patch is quite good.

I'm not sure (as I don't play arcade much) about the 10 second delay on bombs exploding ot make it more likely for tanks to get out of the way of bombs, I think that's a change for the whingers rather than realism.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I too like the patch but wow did I see a bunch hating on it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Had some epic air combat last night. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, though I'm still not crazy about the flight model. Though I am playing in arcade mode. Would realistic make that much of a difference in terms of handling? The peashooter I've been using has fairly terrible maneuverability, and I don't know if it's the gameplay mode I've been playing in but the axis of movement seems limited. It also may just be the aircraft I'm using.

I've been having a blast doing bombing runs with the Catalina though. At first, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it, but I've been having fun bombing targets once I realized what I needed to do. A more stable aircraft also allows me to concentrate on doing my tasks while my gunners are able to shoot at any tailers. Had something amazing happen the other night, where I lost fuel due to a fuel leak. I ended up just gliding and still being able to bomb targets. My gunners were able to shoot down an assailant, and I don't know if it was a result of some being frustrated at being unable to take me down or just being in the wrong place, but I had a plane crash right into me. My plane is so damned hardy, it almost takes too many hits.

Having trouble doing the fighter tutorial. Always end up either crashing my plane or timing out the event.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Something changed a while ago and I cant fly planes for shit now. I just use the mouse because Im too lazy to set up my joystick. Before I could join the air battle as I played tanks and flew really well. Now though I cant control the flight much and tumble and spin and such. I no longer click to join the air battle and just stay in my tanks.
Stefan Stirzaker

name in game if you want to add me is peldorstirzsaus
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Getting the hang of the tanks now and getting pretty good. Two nights in a row where I've ranked 5th place. One of the neatest medals to get is the Avenger medal, where you kill someone that's killed you previously in the same round. That's a feeling of satisfaction.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So damned addicted to this now. Damn you guys :P And I haven't even seen any of you playing. My best so far has been 4th place with tanks.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't been on but once in over a week. Been playing some older games. Ill be playing ti again soon.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I'm pretty much always on, in the planes in arcade mode.

I'm a long way down the tech tree for most countries, but I actually fly a lot of low level stuff, because I like the crazy furballs that happen down there. I routinely fly USA at about 1.3BR, Germany at about 1.7, Britain at about 2.0, Russia at about 2.3.

Russian ~2.3 planes should be illegal... my five plane lineup features two LAG and a Mig that all have 20mm cannon with effective ammo that make a mess of the sort of planes you find at that level. The Mig is such a good high level interceptor that it was lethal with .50cals. Giving it 20mm canon and high explosive fragmentation rounds makes for a lot of fun when you're firing it at canvas biplanes.