Clockwork Empires

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Clockwork Empires

Post by LordMortis »

Since we were given a choice, I always start with NCO and grunt start.

I might need to change that to get a more productive beginning so I can get to a barracks, which I never did. The problem then will be arming my military.

I tried a second time, I didn't get taken out by the bandits. The fish people turned hostile on day 4 and took me out.

*sigh*

Still, I like how the game is coming along even if I find it hard to believe that the game is 92% of the way done. If feel like the shell is good but there is there a lot more of game to go. Especially with no minimap. :D
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Very promising game. All kinds of interesting angles, and it seems to avoid all the things that turned me off to city builder types of games.

But also VERY unfinished. It looks like a game, it plays like a game for minutes at a time, and then you find that some basic piece hasn't actually been fleshed out yet.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

New update is out. We'll see if I can make time to both be awake and play. Every update I've played so far has changed the game substantially. This time I'm not sure if it will or not.

http://clockworkempires.com/development.html

https://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/

Code: Select all

redo character info panel
        overhaul memory system
            review all memories in database
            review all memory creation points in script
            add madness to appropriate memories
                review all madness-related systems
                    review cults & fix them to use revised madness
                    rebalance all madness jobs
            implement the Lament Configuration with linked lists
        review & balance all social jobs
            review & balance all jobs in the game, period.
            oh hey, it turns out some jobs worked based on outdated assumptions. Re-do or can them!
        properly implement office system
            redo Chapel in particular to use new system
            meddle with theology, generally
            cults again, probably
        where we’re going, we won’t need eyes. Or roads. I always get those ones mixed up.
    attempt to re-activate the black hole for some reason
    release album
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got an old laptop from work to learn Windows 10 on. It took the upgrade no problem but as it turns out Clockwork empires does not like integrated video cards on laptops. So much so that the makers have no intention of supporting them. That may be deal breaker for someone somewhere down the line here, so I thought I would warn you.

No Clockwork Empires while laying in bed or ported to the TV through HDMI for me on brand spanking 5 year old Windows 10 laptop.
dfs

Post by dfs »

LordMortis wrote: Clockwork empires does not like integrated video cards on laptops. So much so that the makers have no intention of supporting them.

what? That seems a curious choice.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dfs wrote:
LordMortis wrote: Clockwork empires does not like integrated video cards on laptops. So much so that the makers have no intention of supporting them.

what? That seems a curious choice.
Let me see if I can find the link...

This isn't the link I found with their response when I searched the specific error I got received it gives you the picture, which mentioned specific lack of driver support on (most laptop) integrated video cards. But it gives you a picture. It give a variation that states it's only my video card. Intel HD 4000. So maybe there is more hope than the hope I read from their response on Steam on a thread I can no longer find.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/224740/d ... 715356857/

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/08/13 ... 30-update/
The Intel Situation

After fighting with this for a couple of weeks, we have been reluctantly forced to conclude that we cannot officially support the Intel HD3000 and HD4000 at this time. The issues are two fold: first, they’re simply not very well written OpenGL drivers; second, as far as we can tell, different laptop manufacturers will not actually let you install the most recent upgrades for their software, which means that we have no way of guaranteeing that your machine has an OpenGL driver that has been written in, er, the last two years.

If you have an Intel HD3000 or HD4000 card and have previously bought the earliest access, please contact us and we will sort you out. We still support the most recent generation of Intel GPUs (the Iris Pro and related parts); these are actually surprisingly good for discrete GPUs. We apologize for taking so long with this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/10/21 ... -vastness/

The latest update is out. Time to fire the game up this weekend.

Cliffnotes:

UI overhaul
Pubs
Farming changes... again...
There are now Offices and office crews
(Continuing work on Secret Things, deep and dark.)
Rewrote stockpile handling code again to more thoroughly fix everything
FIXED: performed overhaul of handling of all jobs that affect the corpses of all types of characters (burial, dumping, butchery, dissection, etc)

Lost of Misc.
Horrors

In additional to giving existing horrors (& attendant cultists) some more interesting behaviour, the REDACTED and REDACTED have not yet been implemented. It's going to be such fun to inflict infect drive mad introduce players to these. And then of there's the Great Summoning of REDACTED with the REDACTED!
Thank goodness
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I didn't play the last build but now a new one is out.

The short list

Added Spectres and murder.

It feels as though they keep ratcheting up the difficulty. I was already feeling like I couldn't get a foothold two builds ago.

Maybe I'll get to try to trying it again over the holiday break.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The sergeant of my only squad has gone mad, started a cult, and is angry I wouldn't let him build a shrine to the dreamer outside town. I think I may be in trouble.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Another new release came out last week. I haven't played since two or three releases ago.

I think the big new feature for this release was fire, with some big overhauls to the way workshop work.

I hope to get a chance to play over the holiday break. We'll see.

There were no shrines the last time I played... That or I never played long enough to need one. The build I played was the most stable but the attacks coming against my settlement were so harsh I never got a town launched very far, even choosing the military start.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I hadn't played much in a few months until I tried it on a whim the last couple of nights, but it's definitely starting to come together finally.

Performance is much better, resource gathering, food production, and combat all feel much better balanced. It's also fun when you're invested in your colonists initially and some turn out to be fine, productive workers, but some will start going insane and succumbing to dark forces. The trick is deciding when they are doing more harm than good and calling for some frontier justice if it looks like things might be getting out of hand, but frontier justice upsets people and has to be used sparingly.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've never played so far as to use frontier justice. I'm not even sure how it's used at this point.

I really am hoping to get a chance to play some over the break. I found the build before the impossibly hard to defend my settlement build to be pretty relaxing. I only set it down when relaxing turned into "Why can't I cancel these orders and why don't they just they just do x and then I don't have to worry about canceling." I think was probably three or four weeks into the game when it was just about impossible to get anyone to do anything because of people trying to fulfill impossible orders or saying they were going to fulfill an order and then never trying. This was particularly problematic with decomposing dead people.
tgb

Post by tgb »

So with this on my wishlist and the Steam sale starting soon (tomorrow?) I have to ask - is it worth getting now, or should I let it percolate a few more months?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tgb wrote:So with this on my wishlist and the Steam sale starting soon (tomorrow?) I have to ask - is it worth getting now, or should I let it percolate a few more months?
Yes/No?

They keep adding features and some builds have very fun. Some have been not so much. I don't know the timeline until release and some of the builds have been drastically different than others, as they implement more and more features.

There is already game in there and I've enjoyed some builds of it and not others. It may not be they game they release but it has already one of the more interesting builders I've played. I hold out hope that when it's all said and done by the time they add horrors that it will end up in my top 2 builders of all time, maybe even unseating Tropico 2. But it's not there yet.

I suspect as much as you love a game and move on to the next one that you, specifically, should probably wait as what we see now is not likely to play at all like the finished product, even if I have enjoyed it in various stages. The potential has not yet shining through.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I finally made time to get back to the game and it no longer works. :( It crashes before the game ever starts.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to play the last build over the holiday break and they Gaslight never replied to my request for support. Not even a form response.

So as much I'd love to tell you how close this is to being a game, I can't. :(

However, the new build is up, so maybe I'll find time to try again... Maybe....

https://clockworkempires.com/development.html

Looks like this build is adding foreign relations and trade.

Nothing about fixing the game not loading, so this does not bode well for me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote:Nothing about fixing the game not loading, so this does not bode well for me.
You might want to keep an eye on this thread.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thanx. I looked for threads like that around Christmas. I gave up and reported the error according to the crash report and they never responded.

Youdaman!

This problem is exactly what I'm experiencing so I will try
(Okay: run the game with -nomaxmode as a command line parameter in rev 47 and let's see if this improves anything)
when I get the opportunity, making the rev 47 release that much more important. Maybe this weekend? No I just need to figure out how to run steam games using command line parameters. That shouldn't be too hard.

I figured it was graphics card/monitor issue. It seems like that's what it always is. I had hoped finally moving from an old CRT to one of them thar new fangled LED screens would make that a thing of the past. Nope.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There was an update today that brought it up to alpha 47.

To launch it with a command line option, just select the game properties, general/set launch options, and type in the option.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Version 48 still doesn't work for me.

Tried -nomaxmode through steam launcher (thanx) and it it didn't help.

Still no response from the dev.

Tries some of other suggestions.
deleting a file named config.xm
Still no go.

Edit:

Updated drivers. This time the game squealed like a stuck pig before it crashed, so I thought I'd try -nomaxmode again. and nope.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got a pleasantly fast response last night that I wasn't expecting. After looking at the .dmp file they asked for video card make and told me they suspect that it won't be supported.

If that's the case. I recommend checking specs on this game before buying it, something I rarely do because I buy games that don't seem like they'd need something new and fancy. But this means a recentish laptop won't be supported because of it's integrated video card and an oldish desktop won't be supported because of its video card.

This makes me sad but I remain hopeful that things will get better and this game won't have to wait for me to buy a new machine.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Lots of games don't support integrated video cards. Always check if that's what you have.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

So this is on sale on Steam this weekend for 20 magic beans. It's been on my wishlist for a while, and I'm tempted to grab it at that price, but what is the state of the game? Is it stable and playable? How about content? I understand that it just graduated to "beta", but I would like to know if it's worth getting today or should wait while it cooks a bit longer?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sale corresponds to a new beta build.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't played since December when it quite working with my ancient video card. I was really enjoying it then. They put out a new build pretty much every month since then and the game play changed pretty drastically every build I played.

I will get back to it now that I have a new computer with a video card from this decade and may even post impressions but that will take some time. I've been stuck on Stellaris and that game can suck away three hour of your life at a pop if it sucks away 15 minutes.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Finally got back to this game and it's still not done enough yet. Right now it's a just a MotS builder with glitchy "modules", which is how you make building become what you want them to be. As of right now, the nature of the modules is a bit confusing as well. The UI will basically tell you that a module must be produced by another module but it doesn't tell you what module you need for that production.

There's still promise in there but right now it's still just promise.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Bought and refunded yesterday, largely because it ran like shit on my rig (which may improve at release) but mostly because you can't assign work crews to specific jobs, which pretty much caused me to be stuck 10 minutes into the tutorial.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

New update is out. I haven't had time to review yet. Whether or not I try again for this update will be dependent on UI changes and if they fixed the destrory/move module glitchyiness. If there is no mention of how I still can't figure out what to build, build the wrong thing and can't destroy or move it without the game going whacky, I'm still out.

https://clockworkempires.com/development.html

Edit: Doesn't look better but I might try again anyway. We'll see.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2016/10/06 ... e-aligned/

1.0 is scheduled for October 26th.

This should be one of the few games I get back to in release state after setting it down from Early Access, which is not to say it will be great. It's had potential on the few pass I've given it but the full picture was never clear. Even now if I returned and played the last round of EA, it's still not the full picture.
We’re putting a hold on the “Experimental” builds leading up to the launch date so we can surprise you with some more stuff when the time comes, but expect new events, more cults and monsters, along with all the other polish that you would expect as the doomsday clock ticks ominously forwards to midnight and version 1.0.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Huzzah! Just in time for me to ask for a Steam gift card for Christmas and buy it (hopefully) on sale.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Releases 1.0 today.

However, I bought CivVI and Octocon is this weekend.

If they only released in time for last weekend I probably would have held off on CivVI which has my attention for the foreseeable future.

If no one else does, I'll drop impressions eventually....
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I played for a while last night, and the last few updates seem to have done a good job of bringing the game together. Still feels a little rough around the edges in places, but it feels a lot better balanced and the progression makes a lot more sense that it did in early access.

Still feels like it's missing a lot of features though and hard to recommend this over the paragons of the genre that Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld are.

Only really just started getting my town established, so I'll post more once I get a little farther.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Any further impressions? Getting close to Christmas gift card time!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've tried a few more times to get into it, but haven't really yet. I think the bottom line is they released it early without all the systems they were intending to be in place. There's just lots of mechanics that feel half done, like the fact that citizens won't ever pick a bed as their own, and in fact the way the mechanics work you're almost always guaranteed to have more people than beds.

I still feel like there's a fun game coming, but there are much better games out there at the moment.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sad to hear that. I was planning on getting back to this soon.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Removed from wishlist.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Citizen wrote:Removed from wishlist.
To be fair, I think Gaslamp did an excellent job supporting their previous release. This could see regular updates for at least a year.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I haven't played extensively, even though I've owned the game for at least a year, but from all of the final release reviews I've read, it looks like it will take a pretty massive overhaul to focus the gameplay and redo the ui elements in order for it to be substantially improved.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thought I'd see if they righted the ship on this. I had a hankering. It looks like they released the game in rough shape and then packed up the company without a goodbye according to Steam. What a huge disappointment.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:Thought I'd see if they righted the ship on this. I had a hankering. It looks like they released the game in rough shape and then packed up the company without a goodbye according to Steam. What a huge disappointment.
Yeah, I had hoped with the success of their previous game that they knew what they were getting into in trying to make an ambitious Dwarf Fortress-like, but sadly no.