Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freezer-TPF-

Re: Project Eternity from Obsidian

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Ok, I'm officially in. Threw in an extra $7 for the digital strategy guide.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Raised around $250k yesterday (much more if you count the paypal account). We are technically already above the 3.5 million stretch goal with paypal. Which is awesome. Don't know if they're going to add anything else but there should be one final announcement at 9am pst.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

According to the Obsidian twitter (if it's correct), the paypal amount is $106k as of 5 hours ago. https://twitter.com/Obsidian" target="_blank
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet. I bet they add a 3.6M goal just to keep people contributing today.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Zaxxon wrote:Sweet. I bet they add a 3.6M goal just to keep people contributing today.
That's what they said. But it should be a smaller goal according to them.

That being said, we've already basically made 3.6M, the goal should be higher than that even if the kickstarter people can't see paypal.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Deciding if I want to kick in another $20 for the expansion to a game I know very little about and won't see for a couple years... :o
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So is this a record for a PC game on Kickstarter? Double Fine Adventure didn't raise this much, I don't think?
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So is this a record for a PC game on Kickstarter? Double Fine Adventure didn't raise this much, I don't think?
This is the record for games of any type, yes. The only thing in the "games" category that did higher was actually just tech and should not have been there (the Ouya). It beats out DF which ended at 3.34M and it beat out a tabletop gaming miniature project that was at 3.43M (but that technically wasn't a game either since it's just the models for games).
Last edited by Gavin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So is this a record for a PC game on Kickstarter? Double Fine Adventure didn't raise this much, I don't think?
Yes, it's tops for an actual video game. In the Games category the only ones topping this are Ouya and Reaper.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gavin wrote:
This is the record for games of any type, yes. The only think in the "games" category that did higher was actually just tech and should not have been there (the Ouya). It beats out DF which ended at 3.34M and it beat out a tabletop gaming miniature project that was at 3.43M (but that technically wasn't a game either since it's just the models for games).
What you said--P:E is above Reaper now, too. Craziness.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Zaxxon wrote:What you said--P:E is above Reaper now, too. Craziness.
So was Reaper's product actually a game? I was under the impression that it would be like calling hand crafted dice a game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gavin wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:What you said--P:E is above Reaper now, too. Craziness.
So was Reaper's product actually a game? I was under the impression that it would be like calling hand crafted dice a game.
It was a set of miniature figures to be used in tabletop games. So I think it belonged in the 'Games' category, but it wasn't a video game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I should clarify. An actual "video" game, was what I meant. There are sooo many now, funded via KS, that it's hard to keep up with the record breaking that seems to be constantly happening (which is normal, considering how young KS is)

I think I am up to...around 10 funded currently, I expect to get a product from maybe 6-7 of those, and I expect 2-3 to be very good, if I'm lucky. Which I am totally ok with, FWIW.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

No need to clarify "video". This thing beats out all other games too. Table top and otherwise.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

TiLT wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
$17,193,792
TRENDING TOWARD
Scary.
And not at all realistic. This is likely going to end up somewhere between 3 and 4 million, perhaps as high as 5 if we're lucky. The first day is always the most active for high-profile games like this. Having said that, the first 24 hours are still far, far from over, and they're already up to nearly 80% funding. :)
Looks like my prediction at the beginning of the thread was pretty much spot on. :) It's easy to overestimate a Kickstarter campaign when looking at its progress during its first day.
Insert witty comment here.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

200 backers at the 1k+ level.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was excited about this on page 1 and almost forgot to give them my $$$. Doh! :doh:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Peacedog wrote:200 backers at the 1k+ level.
Strange. A lot seem to be jumping ship. Perhaps because they hit the top goal? Only 169 at $1k+ now.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It's possible I miscounted earlier. . . odd (I counted twice, though that doesn't always help). That's a lot of people to jump ship and yet they're still up 250k. I mean, yeah, some people could have reduced contributions (and potentially dropping from 1k to somewhere in the hundres for 30 something people is a loss of upwards of 21k, which could easily get overshadowed by last minute donations/increases). Or maybe I just miscounted.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

$iljanus wrote:I was excited about this on page 1 and almost forgot to give them my $$$. Doh! :doh:
Ditto. I did it this morning since I was afraid I would forget tonight.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Peacedog wrote:It's possible I miscounted earlier. . . odd (I counted twice, though that doesn't always help). That's a lot of people to jump ship and yet they're still up 250k. I mean, yeah, some people could have reduced contributions (and potentially dropping from 1k to somewhere in the hundres for 30 something people is a loss of upwards of 21k, which could easily get overshadowed by last minute donations/increases). Or maybe I just miscounted.
In any event, the current 170 at $1k+ is still pretty incredible.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$4m Stretch Goal - Enhance the Whole Game

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I heartily agree with that final stretch goal.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

50 minutes to go, and a little over $90,000 to go to hit the $4M mark.

Edit: In the time I was typing that, they added another $2K to the total, so now a little under $90K. :)

Edit 2: And I wasn't aware they had a separate Paypal contribution stream on their website that has already kicked them up over the $4M mark.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Yep. The Kickstarter itself is going to finish just shy of 4M, barring something insane in the next 90 seconds. But Paypal contributions put them over that anyway.

Hahaha, they did 7k in the 40 seconds I took typing that.

But, 15k shy of the number 4M appearing on the Kickstarter page. Impressive.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

It's awesome that all stretch goals have been met. Paypal is still running and may be well over $200k above the $4m goal at the moment.

One thing I'm interested in seeing is the number of backers in the paypal account. This may contribute one or two final levels to that dungeon. Considering the number of bottles I saw them empty last night I don't think we'll hear from them for awhile. Rest well deserved before the project hits the ground running.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Gavin wrote:before the project hits the ground running.
You mean before they start working on the logistics of compiling and mailing out the schwag, which will take weeks, if not more, if the other Kickstarters are any indication.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Gavin wrote:before the project hits the ground running.
You mean before they start working on the logistics of compiling and mailing out the schwag, which will take weeks, if not more, if the other Kickstarters are any indication.
Considering the delivery date isn't until march of 2014, I doubt this will be the highest priority.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Apparently with pay pal, they hit around 4.17 million. Which also means that there will be 14 levels of the statue. Pretty amazing that they were able to hit all the imaginable stretch goals.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Matrix wrote:Apparently with pay pal, they hit around 4.17 million. Which also means that there will be 14 levels of the statue. Pretty amazing that they were able to hit all the imaginable stretch goals.
Yeah, and let's face it, the 4m goal was a last minute goal thrown together. I knew they'd have a hard time beating the second big city goal (considering the typical sizes of their cities).
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... nity/posts" target="_blank

Actually, it looks like we hit 15 levels, I was about to email them regarding their math mistake when I figured out that they had edited the update to read the correct level (it now says 15 instead of the 14 that was in our email):

My math:
Given: Three levels at 50,000 backers
One level at 20,000 likes on their facebook account.
Total backers including paypal: 77,667
77,667-50,000 = 27,667 / 2,500 (the number at which a new level is achieved) = 11 levels.

So, 3 (initial levels) + 1 (likes on fb) + 11 (times increased by 2,500 backers) = 15 levels.

That's going to be one huge-ass dungeon. And I mean that considering the size of the butt on that statue.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Gavin wrote:That's going to be one huge-ass dungeon. And I mean that considering the size of the butt on that statue.
Ha.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Appreciated their most recent update, talking about how what makes an RPG for them is the idea that your character is a person who interacts with the story as more than just a set of combat abilities.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... sts/350054" target="_blank
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

From the most recent Q&A with one of the programmers.
"A:
I got into the game industry wanting to be an AI programmer. So, while I enjoy the challenges of engineering other systems, AI is where my heart is. I can't wait until we have a full complement of spells so I can write some cool wizard AI and give people an epic wizard battle!"

Yes please! Man I can't wait to see this game!

Sent from mobile
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

The latest update contains some promising infobits. Most relevant to me was the inventory stuff. There will be 3 inventories: Equipment (gear + stuff immediately ready to use), "top of pack" (not used in combat, available immediately outside of combat for things like replenishing comsumeables and such), and stash. Stash is only accessed from camps/home but apparently you can drop loot into it from anywhere.

Stash is obviously shared but I'm not clear if top of pack is different for each individual (it shouldn't be). There is no carry weight limit, which is good and sane.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Peacedog wrote:The latest update contains some promising infobits. Most relevant to me was the inventory stuff. There will be 3 inventories: Equipment (gear + stuff immediately ready to use), "top of pack" (not used in combat, available immediately outside of combat for things like replenishing comsumeables and such), and stash. Stash is only accessed from camps/home but apparently you can drop loot into it from anywhere.

Stash is obviously shared but I'm not clear if top of pack is different for each individual (it shouldn't be). There is no carry weight limit, which is good and sane.
I'm finding the weapon dialogue very interesting. The idea that weapons will actually be correctly suited for different situations is great. Hopefully it ends up being rational like what he was talking about since that is actually realistic.

The class talk was also refreshing. I'd like different options that seperate out classes but I don't want crazy micromanagement that requires a pen and paper and perhaps a calculator. So it's nice that they've expressed an understanding of the balance between the too and they're trying to aim for it.

I feel like the project is really moving along. I'm happy with that.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I don't care about the weapon stuff. It's been my experience that such mechanics are rarely worthwhile in these sorts of games; I wouldn't be surprised to see them disappear or be abstracted further. As a general rule fiddlyness is bad for party-based CRPGs.
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Peacedog wrote:I don't care about the weapon stuff. It's been my experience that such mechanics are rarely worthwhile in these sorts of games; I wouldn't be surprised to see them disappear or be abstracted further. As a general rule fiddlyness is bad for party-based CRPGs.
I could see that happening too. It is interesting though.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New video out today showing off the environment a bit. Pretty impressive for 2d.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UleDEFkUtE" target="_blank
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That looks amazing. Can't wait.