Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Pillars of Eternity from Obsidian

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, the making of documentary is in the backer portal as of tonight.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finally finished it! I went back and completed some bounties and found two small areas I missed which was enough to get me to max level.

I did lower the difficulty to Easy to get through the final map and boss, just because I was ready to get this game knocked out and move on to something else. However, I really, really enjoyed it. Any game that can capture my undivided attention for as long as it did, and drive me to complete it, is a rare treasure.

I'll probably just nibble at some backlog games over the next couple of weeks, but I don't plan on doing any more serious gaming until Witcher 3 arrives on the 19th.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I'm trying really hard to get into this game. It's just not grabbing me. I'm at the point where I have to go to Defiance Bay and my thought for the grand story so far is "You have past-life nightmares and you want them to go away and they might kill you eventually cuz that one guy said so."

Does it get better/going/more interesting once you go to that city? I think the whole wicht thing is interesting and I'd really like to learn more about that. I'm hoping that destroying Raedric's hold is not the end of that plot line. The lack of a compelling reason to advance the story is really my problem. I have a kingdom now (OK, a keep). Why wouldn't I just live there and hire people to cure me now that Raedric's gone and I don't have to worry about him offing my medics anymore? I can become uberlord just by exploring my own dungeon. I don't need to visit the rest of the world.

The weird thing is that I'm a huge fan of the Infinity engine games. I find that in this game you really have to micro a lot compared to what I remember from the previous-style games. Seems like every time you down a foe you absolutely need the game to autopause so that you can maximize your party's assault or else you yourself get massacred, even by baddies that you should be able to mow down with impunity.

Just FYI I was a KS backer and I've been sitting on it until now. So I was extremely excited and followed the development, but I am at this time underwhelmed.
There is no hug button. Sad!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ignore it and try again later? Might be more in the mood for it then?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The storyline picks up quite a bit in Defiance Bay, actually.

As for the combat being difficult and requiring micro-management, well, I prefer that approach. It kept me interested and working on new tactics throughout the game, having to adapt to varying enemy resistances. If you go back to earlier areas with your powered up high level guys, you'll find them a breeze, of course. Down to personal preference, I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

killbot737 wrote:
Just FYI I was a KS backer and I've been sitting on it until now. So I was extremely excited and followed the development, but I am at this time underwhelmed.
I was in the same boat as you. The antagonist is nonexistent, the loot is dull and the overall storyline is cryptic unless you sift through pages of lore text. This is definitely a slow starter.

Defiance Bay picks things up a bit if you stick to the main quest line but what actually pushed me over the edge into enjoying it a lot was the “Blood Legacy” quest in Dryforth village. It’s a very dark quest line with quite a few possible ways of completing it with multiple levels of morality.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The board game adaptation of Pillars of Eternity, Lords of the Eastern Reach, launched this weekend. I haven't dug too deeply into it yet, but I'm in regardless. PoE is fantastic.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just finished Act II. That is a huge improvement in plot and character development! A little unfortunate that it took until the 25th hour mark!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

How many of your own custom characters are you using?

I used a custom ranger up until I found a named character to replace her.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Turtle wrote:How many of your own custom characters are you using?

I used a custom ranger up until I found a named character to replace her.
Just my main character. A large part of the appeal of party based RPGs is the personalities of the NPCs, so having custom made characters really doesn’t interest me at all.

I’ve found all the recruitable NPCs at this point so I’m pretty sure I’m sticking with this party for the rest of the game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:The board game adaptation of Pillars of Eternity, Lords of the Eastern Reach, launched this weekend. I haven't dug too deeply into it yet, but I'm in regardless. PoE is fantastic.
Nobody? Really? I watched the gameplay video after my original post, and I'm definitely in.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:The board game adaptation of Pillars of Eternity, Lords of the Eastern Reach, launched this weekend. I haven't dug too deeply into it yet, but I'm in regardless. PoE is fantastic.
Nobody? Really? I watched the gameplay video after my original post, and I'm definitely in.
Daehawk is in.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:
Daehawk is in.
:o :grund: :clap:

:horse:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Patch 1.05 released (and currently crippling my internet speed during the 833 MB download). Highlights:
•You can now rename save games.
•You can now change the portrait and sound set of characters from the character sheet. Click on the gear icon to open the customization window. You can only use this feature on player characters and hired (non-companion) characters.
•New Stash sorting. You can now sort stash by item type, enchant score, and sell value.
•Added a news feature on the main menu to keep you informed on patches and Kickstarter updates.
•Added a new color for unique items in the inventory.
•Added a new hotkey for switching weapon sets on selected characters.
•You can now bind extra mouse buttons to Ability hotkeys.
•There's a new option in the Difficulty settings to reset newly recruited companions to level 1 (without losing the experience) when they get added to the party for the first time. This will allow you to level up companions to your liking.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Those are the patch notes from the previous patch, Smoove. The actual patch notes for today's patch are as follows:
Update 1.06

Update 1.06 is up on Steam and will be released on GOG and Origin shortly. This update contains lots of great fixes and some cool paladin balance changes. It also contains two major fixes that Unity just released:
  • Fixed a crash that some people were experiencing on startup. This had to do with Unity attempting to load a corrupted font.
  • Fixed severe slowdowns when streaming in assets if the user had specific network adaptors or was running programs like Hamachi.
Take a look below for all the details:

Balance
  • Blacsonn was modified to have a focus gain multiplier (+20%) instead of a flat gain.
  • Added the Flanking and Engagement entries to the Glossary. Also updated the Flanked entry to link to Flanking and Engagement.
  • Minoletta's Concussive Missiles AoE is now set to foe only.
  • Lay on Hands increased from 1/Encounter to 2/Encounter. Base healing value was increased from 20 per tick to 25 per tick and Greater Lay on Hands increased from +7 to +12.
  • Flames of Devotion was given a +20 Accuracy bonus.
  • Spell Holding: Blessing Accuracy bonus reduced from +10 to +5.
  • All Zealous auras set to the same size. This decreased the size of Charge, but increased the sized of Focus and Endurance.
  • Bonus Graze to Hit rate added to Zealous Focus.
  • Bonus Hit to Graze rate added to Zealous Endurance.
  • Sworn Enemy will no longer call a hit reaction when applied.
  • Endurance reduction on the end of Reviving Exhortation was reduced.
  • Suppress Affliction base duration lowered from 15 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • All Exhortations are now set to recover immediately.
  • Reinforcing Exhortation now grants +25 deflection instead of +15.
  • Hastening Exhortation lowered to 9th level (was 11th).
Items, Spells, Abilities
  • Arcane Assault and Flagellant's Path have received animation polish.
Quests and Companions
  • Fixed an issue where a door in the Stronghold's Great Hall could become locked after the Steward unlocked it. This is a retroactive fix that should fix a saved game on load.
  • Fix for Against the Grain where you were able to convince Trumbel after convincing Sweynur. Players in broken states can speak with Trumbel to complete the quest.
  • Entering Lle a Rhemen will now force an update to The Bronze Beneath the Lake to the proper step if it's somehow been reverted to an earlier stage, allowing the Engwithan weapon container to appear.
  • Fix for cases where hurting a Crucible Knight during the Forge Knight attack on Crucible Keep would cause Lady Webb to assume you had burned the bridges with the knights' faction, thus forcing the invite to the hearings to come from Dunryd Row. This fix is also retroactive for cases where Lady Webb still waits to hear your word about getting an invite - head over Hadret House and speak with Webb to continue with the Crucible Knight's support as intended in your playthrough.
  • Attacking any main faction after acquiring their invite will now properly result in a quest update that asks you to talk to Webb about getting an invite in some other fashion (Dunryd Row support).
UI
  • Added the correct icons for items that were displaying an incorrect icon.
  • Fixed a minor issue with Scripted Interaction images not animating correctly at times.
  • When dragging items in the inventory, you can now see their stack counts.
  • UI fix made for some localizations that were seeing text flow over their button's bounds.
  • Highlight shader will now properly render behind objects in the scene.
  • Added notifications on skill level up that lets users know that skill points may be saved for subsequent levels.
  • Spell bars now clear out correctly when users switch party members with hotkeys.
  • Fixed a bug where the second line of an object could get covered by newly gained objectives.
  • Fixed a UI issue where icons on an expanded spell bar could show blue or gold glows behind them.
  • Added notification when a player attempts to target a spell or attack when Paralyzed or Stunned.
  • Reordered spells and abilities on the character sheet UI. This was a fix to abilities being displayed under the spells category.
  • Fixed a bug where placeholder icons might appear in combat tooltips.
  • Suppressed effects on the party portrait icons now show their effects with a "suppressed" qualifier on tooltip.
  • Added a "per X sec" clause to beam spell descriptions to indicate how often they hit.
  • Transition icons will now revert to their non-glowing state if you attempt to transition, but click away before completing the transition.
  • Stronghold upgrade "purchase" buttons are now greyed out when another upgrade is already in progress.
General Fixes
  • Fixed a crash that some people were experiencing on startup. This had to do with Unity attempting to load a corrupted font.
  • Fixed slowdowns that could be caused by certain network adaptors or programs like Hamachi.
  • Fixed a problem where interacting with the ability bar in certain ways could disable mouse input.
  • Fixed an issue where SFX were not playing properly on containers.
  • Fixed a bug where Deceptive disposition was gaining ranks too quickly.
  • Wolves now have an ambient animation for knocked-down state.
  • Fixed an issue where grimoires were getting corrupted when sending a wizard to the Stronghold.
  • Fixed Commander Clyver's barkstrings to be hostile if the Keep is hostile.
Insert witty comment here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Told you my internet was slow. :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished the game today. Took about 38 hours. The final boss was almost impossible to beat and I think I was only able to succeed because I exploited the interrupt system. After the fact, I read that most people recommend being max level in that fight…I was a couple short of that…oops.

Overall I enjoyed the game but this is probably my least favorite of the Kickstarter RPGs. I enjoyed where the storyline went in the third act but there was just too little of interest in the first half of the game. Also, I hated the equipment system; the equipment I found was dull and I didn’t find that much. Two of my characters never found boots and a couple of the other items they did have weren’t beneficial for that their character classes.

What I did like is the ambiguity of the world’s morality. Things get very dark by the end of the game and I don’t think you can walk away unscathed even if you try to play the holiest of paladins.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I received my PoE game discs in the mail today. My Pile o' Swag is now complete! :D

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. A birdie told me the expansion will be announced next week. Stoked.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In a way, I'm glad I decided to postpone this one. There were a bunch of technical niggles that drove me nuts, and hopefully those will be patched out by the time I get back around to it.

Still can't figure out why the last two old-school, isometric RPGs have left me so cold (Divinity OS and PoE), as this used to be my genre of choice. :cry:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Skinypupy wrote:Still can't figure out why the last two old-school, isometric RPGs have left me so cold (Divinity OS and PoE), as this used to be my genre of choice. :cry:
Same here. I have both games, but I haven't even installed Divinity:OS yet and have only played a few hours of PoE. I got to the first city and, I dunno, the thought of trudging around the town talking to everyone, uncovering bits of lore and such feels like a chore. This game should be right in my wheelhouse, but I am just not that motivated to get back to it any time soon. I will certainly give it another try at some point, but maybe with limited gaming time I just do not have the patience for this sort of RPG right now.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Heathens.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:I got to the first city and, I dunno, the thought of trudging around the town talking to everyone, uncovering bits of lore and such feels like a chore. This game should be right in my wheelhouse, but I am just not that motivated to get back to it any time soon. I will certainly give it another try at some point, but maybe with limited gaming time I just do not have the patience for this sort of RPG right now.
Well said, sums up my thoughts exactly.

Which is odd, as I'm thoroughly enjoying Witcher 3 and it has a similarly complex world and lore.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:A birdie told me the expansion will be announced next week. Stoked.
They done did it! PoE: The White March Part 1 just announced. Linkage incoming once available.

-Higher level cap
-New abilities
-New NPCs
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just got the backer email about the expansion

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ob ... ect_update
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad they are rolling out the improvements to the base game, too.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Is the expansion free to the original backers?
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Only those that backed at a high level.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Zaxxon wrote:Only those that backed at a high level.
Or added it as an add-on, like I did. I think it was a $15 add-on.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sorry, that's what I meant. 'Higher than the normal pledge.'
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I missed that addon. Oh well, hopefully it won't cost too much more retail
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Lordnine wrote:Finished the game today. Took about 38 hours. The final boss was almost impossible to beat and I think I was only able to succeed because I exploited the interrupt system. After the fact, I read that most people recommend being max level in that fight…I was a couple short of that…oops.

Overall I enjoyed the game but this is probably my least favorite of the Kickstarter RPGs.
What are some that are better?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Jaymann wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Finished the game today. Took about 38 hours. The final boss was almost impossible to beat and I think I was only able to succeed because I exploited the interrupt system. After the fact, I read that most people recommend being max level in that fight…I was a couple short of that…oops.

Overall I enjoyed the game but this is probably my least favorite of the Kickstarter RPGs.
What are some that are better?
Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Finished this up last night. Being the completist that I am, I found all party members and did (almost) all side quests (missed the one about finding birds).

For the final battle, my ranger took Pallegina, Eder, Kana Rua, Durance and Aloth + lots of buff potions, a few dragon meat meals, and a revive scroll or two.

I've got two games restarted, one as a Monk and one as a Rogue but I'm really just kicking the tires and doubt I'll get far in the replays.

Really excited about the coming expansion.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

I've been having a very serious case of crpg paralysis with this one -- restarted 3 times with different classes. Been meaning to retry it and stop screwing around, but now that there's an expansion I'll probably wait for that. Wonder when it will be released?
Popehat, a blog.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Magic 8 Ball thinks it will be August or September. The same Magic 8 Ball also wants me to crack open a special bottle of Scotch so take that for what it's worth.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Mr. Fed wrote:but now that there's an expansion I'll probably wait for that.
Why? It's not going to add much, if anything, to the base game, and if you play the base game and move directly onto the expansion, you're going to get pretty burned out with the whole thing. Play it now and give yourself a break between the releases, if you're able to complete the game by that time, that is.
Insert witty comment here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Interesting piece on Kotaku about how Kickstarter saved Obsidian:
The money gave Obsidian a level of freedom they’d never had before. With Project Eternity, they wouldn’t have to worry about a publisher hacking up their budget, setting unreasonable expectations, or missing milestone payments. People at the studio no longer had to come into work worrying that suddenly their game had been cancelled. They already had the money.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

On a related note, watch the documentary on the same topic. That's part 1, and here's part 2. The rest I believe you have to have been a backer to see.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

8/25 is the release date:
Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive announced today that “The White March – Part I,” the first expansion to Pillars of Eternity, will be released on August 25, 2015. “The White March – Part I,” revealed during E3 2015, adds a tremendous amount of new content to the Pillars of Eternity universe, and can be played alongside the original game whether players have completed the core game or not. The expansion offers a higher level cap, artifacts, new companions, new abilities, and a new realm to explore along with an expertly crafted story from Carrie Patel, author of the Recoletta series and writer on the original Pillars of Eternity, and Eric Fenstermaker, lead writer on Pillars of Eternity and one of the co-writers of South Park: The Stick of Truth alongside show creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone.