Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Re: Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Post by Scoop20906 »

neofit wrote:There was a patch mid-january, did they "address PC concerns", and do your team mates banter like they used to in DA2?
"address PC concerns" - Kind of. The tactical view camera works better but its still not very good. They also fixed a major problem where if you selected a party member the camera would always lock to the member meaning if you are trying to issue orders you would have to navigate back to the target. EVERY TIME! Thats fixed now. The camera still gets stuck on terrain but not as badly now and you can also zoom out to see more of the battlefield where originally everything was stuck to a low view. I can't understand how that system made it through their QA. PC is playable now but sucks compared to DA and DA:2.

team mates banter - I'm calling this fixed. Party banter happens more often now and its worth it to try different character combinations to here what they have to say.

I still think they owe it to us to complete improve the PC tactical view but I no longer absolutely hate my playing experience any longer.

If you are on the fence, feel free to buy it and enjoy the heck out of it. It really is a great game.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
neofit

Post by neofit »

Hamlet3145 wrote: My first char was actually a tank (my usual choice) and it felt suitably tanky allbeit a bit boring. I then rolled up a dagger rogue--definitely not boring, but kind of a pain in the ass with always needing to re-position to the flank, deal with stealth, etc.. Finally, I went with mage and have been having a (literal) blast.
How did it work with a mage? From screenshots, videos and discussions I believe that I figured that you have like 8 hotkeys for all your spells? How many spells/buffs/debuffs do you get after a few hours of play, is it enough to make you feel like you have a wide range of possibilities? Personally I lost the will to progress in GW1 when I got my (hotkeys+1) ability, why want more if I can't use them?

Or is it like in DA2 where you have a limited number of *numbered* hotkeys, but can use many more spells from the tactical view?
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

For a mage with only 8 spells, you definitely had to ditch some spells that you had available. Since taking stuff also determines your stat bonuses, you do end up with spells you'll never use.

Thing is, there's a lot of cases where all your spells would be useful, and with mana limits it would have been fine to allow all of them.

Along with spells, you also have your 2 focus abilities, 1 for being the inquisitor, and 1 for your specialty, so that's either 1 or 2 slots eaten up (usually 1).
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Turtle wrote:For a mage with only 8 spells, you definitely had to ditch some spells that you had available. Since taking stuff also determines your stat bonuses, you do end up with spells you'll never use.

Thing is, there's a lot of cases where all your spells would be useful, and with mana limits it would have been fine to allow all of them.

Along with spells, you also have your 2 focus abilities, 1 for being the inquisitor, and 1 for your specialty, so that's either 1 or 2 slots eaten up (usually 1).
Another irritation with the tactical interface. And lets not talk about the Character and Inventory ScreenS (capitol on the pural).

RMC

Post by RMC »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Turtle wrote:For a mage with only 8 spells, you definitely had to ditch some spells that you had available. Since taking stuff also determines your stat bonuses, you do end up with spells you'll never use.

Another irritation with the tactical interface. And lets not talk about the Character and Inventory ScreenS (capitol on the pural).
My biggest complaint for this game is the inventory and Character screens. I hate them. I think this game is okay, but I would not recommend anyone buy it at full price. Maybe 50% off it would be worth it.

I stopped playing it because there are so many better games out there right now. For RPG's, Original Sin and Wasteland 2 are better than this, and so is Lords of Xilima(but in a different way).

This feels like a MMO that was designed for the console to me. Not a bad thing as it is an okay game, and I love the story, I just hate the play style.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lump me in with the inventory haters. Why would they do that? It was pretty good before. Now its in one menu then back out to the next to go in. Horrible.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This feels like a MMO that was designed for the console to me. Not a bad thing as it is an okay game, and I love the story, I just hate the play style.
I only played it for a couple of hours, but this is exactly why I threw it on the shelf to revisit later. I really need to grab Original Sin one of these days.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
JCC

Post by JCC »

I'm late to the party. I was going to wait until I built a new gaming PC and finished a replay of DA 1 and 2. However, I finished my replay (much) more quickly than I expected. So, even though my CPU is slightly below min requirements, I decided to take the plunge. I have had it for a little over a week and played over 20 hours. I now am in the "new digs".

The game is a lot of fun, but yes the inventory / character screens are AWFUL. I hate the rings that benefit abilities since there is no quick and easy way to see whether or not my character uses those abilities. Even if I could just back out to the character screen and it would stick to the character I was looking at in the inventory screen, this might be somewhat tolerable, but of course it doesn't. Seriously, I don't understand who thought this interface was acceptable, but they are fools.

I am mixed on the whole "open world" thing. On the one hand, I miss the more "hand crafted" areas. I have been to very few of them so far. On the other hand, I sure have had fun running around the Hinterlands doing quest after quest. I like the fact that there are things too tough for me to handle right now. Not just pure "scaling". (Though I am sure it's in there.)

The tactical menu is so useless they may as well have left it out. It's way too low and it's just clunky to use. I haven't really felt the need to use it much, as I just stick with the MMO approach with pausing here and there.

Look DA:O is by far the best DA game, and I doubt Bioware will ever make a game close to as good as it ever again. But, DA3 is still better than DA2 (which I liked then and enjoyed a 2nd time, despite its flaws). Still this is a lot of fun, even though it runs a little dumpy on my old PC. I laughed when I let the Geforce Experience "optimize" the game for me. When I loaded it it was so pixellated it looked like Minecraft!!! :) I have dialed things up to a more low/medium level.

I like this game enough that I am probably going to build my new PC sooner than later, so I can still enjoy most/half the game with more optimal settings.

One last thing, I found the DA Keep VERY clunky. I understand they need this thing for consoles, but it would have been much better to simply import saves (at least for the PC) especially since they are stored online. LAZY!!! Making me manually configure the look of my.... uh old character was lame.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just dont know about this game. At the start I was digging it. It was fresh and exciting and fun. I have Iron Bull now and his chats make me laugh.

But Im not feeling the game now. I do the same thing over and over....go to an area and go as far as I can then get stuck and go to the next zone area and do it again then again. Ive not finished anything. And the whole time Im stopping every 5 feet to pick a plant. If I dont..like I stopped..I run out of potions...which I have. I feel like a gardener fmore than a hero. Its no longer fun and Ive only been to 3 major areas. And then theres that crappy equipping my party with everything I find screenS.

Damn the plant management sim in my rpg!!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:I just dont know about this game. At the start I was digging it. It was fresh and exciting and fun. I have Iron Bull now and his chats make me laugh.

But Im not feeling the game now. I do the same thing over and over....go to an area and go as far as I can then get stuck and go to the next zone area and do it again then again. Ive not finished anything. And the whole time Im stopping every 5 feet to pick a plant. If I dont..like I stopped..I run out of potions...which I have. I feel like a gardener fmore than a hero. Its no longer fun and Ive only been to 3 major areas. And then theres that crappy equipping my party with everything I find screenS.

I've never used a potion other than the healing potion and only once have I run into something I couldn't beat when I ran into it (a rift in fallow mire). For some reason I still often pick plants when I come across them.

The inventory screens got a bit less annoying when I noticed it was mostly trash and upgrades are so rare I only bother to look when my inventory is full. My true hate is for the crafting screens. I avoid the undercroft because it is a foul pit of frustration and confusion.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote:I just dont know about this game. At the start I was digging it. It was fresh and exciting and fun. I have Iron Bull now and his chats make me laugh.

I found that I could very quickly get lost in sidequest hell and end up feeling like you are. Any time that happened, I would jump back into the fantastic main story quests and that would usually pull me back on track pretty quickly.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Man this game is big. So much to do.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When I first started playing this back in January, I found that I really wasn't in the mood. Now I am, and I'm loving it.

I'm starting to get character paralysis, though. I have this problem in Skyrim, too (not to mention MMOs.) Right now I'm playing a sword-and-board tank type, but I'd prefer to be playing an archer. I prefer to look across the entire encounter rather than be stuck in the middle of it not being able to see the larger picture. It is why I usually play ranged in MMOs.

The problem, though, is that ranged character are far away from the enemies. DA:I even encourages this with skills that make archers more powerful the further away they are. The problem with this is that while you can see the flow of battle, you can't actually see any of the cool enemies. You're fighting distant blobs, not the well-made beasties that melee gets to view up close. I've played MMOs where I played ranged for years, then started a melee character and found myself genuinely surprised at how cool some of the enemies were - things I'd never been able to see before, even after years of play. Wait, those things I've killed hundreds of have four arms? I never knew!

Of course, I hated the gameplay up close with the reduced situational awareness.

This meandering, pointless ramble brought to you by low caffeine levels.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk,

This is why I switched my main from a normal mage to a Knight Enchanter. You still get all the benefits of ranged combat, but the Knight Enchanter is a powerhouse with his lightsaber, er... spirit blade (seriously, it looks and sounds like a lightsaber). You can also teleport and "pop" into an enemy for massive damage. If anything they made the KE too powerful, given it automatically gains shield when it does damage and can spam (basically hold down the button) the spirit blade.

So I finally got to see the enemies close up!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Huh, I, too, tried to play this in January, and gave up out of boredom, only to pick it up again this month. I'm playing a dual-wielding rogue, though I was surprised to find so many rogues in the game. Usually, they are pretty scarce. I am enjoying it a lot more, though the collection aspect is a little tiresome. To those who would say to just not collect everything, I would say that you don't know me ;). If the map has 14 shards, I'm going to get those 14 shards. Same with regions, landmarks, upgrades, mosaic pieces, bottles, etc. It can take a while to scour the map. I tend to always play some variation of this character, so I don't feel the need to reroll, except that I hate the way my character looks. I made him a ginger elf who is thin even by elven standards. Every time he's back home without his armor, I want to get him eat something. I do hope that this game wraps up the "Mage vs. Templar" story. I would like something fresh for the next game.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Just picked this up for my new XBOne, and barely started in on it (I spent about half an hour making sure that the backstory from the earlier games was correct, to the extent that I could remember it). Made a mage, which is what I usually play in RPGs.

Does anyone know whether the tactical combat in the console versions are semi-gimped the way it was with DA:O? Not that I would be playing it on the PC anyway, I guess.

Also, this is my first black fantasy RPG character, which I am sure is exciting for the African-American community. I was going to say my first black RPG character period, but then I just remembered that I had Shepard inexplicably become black in Mass Effect 2.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

baelthazar wrote:Blackhawk,

This is why I switched my main from a normal mage to a Knight Enchanter.
I went with a KE initially, but reloaded a save and went with a rift mage after I realized the game held zero challenge with a KE. If you even play semi-casually, you simply cannot die with that character. I had hoped they'd nerf them in a future patch, but I haven't heard of that happening. That's too bad, as I thought it was a great idea for a character class too. :cry:
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

El Guapo wrote:Does anyone know whether the tactical combat in the console versions are semi-gimped the way it was with DA:O?
Hmmm... I don't recall any discussions about there being that kind of a difference in the game this time.
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Does anyone know whether the tactical combat in the console versions are semi-gimped the way it was with DA:O?
Hmmm... I don't recall any discussions about there being that kind of a difference in the game this time.
Yeah, I played it on the XBOne and I didn't feel gimped. :) Overwhelmed at times, but not gimped.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is there a way to see the details on schematics at a merchant? I'm standing at one now who has tons of schematics, but I don't see any information at all about what any of them make. I can't tell if a particular armor schematic is light, medium, or heavy, or whether the sturdy of one name is better than the regular of another - all I get are names.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gah. I'm having the same problem with upgrades now. I just found a merchant selling a "Masterwork Hilted One-Handed Haft." I know it is an upgrade, I know how to use it. I just have no idea what it's for. There is nothing that says what a haft upgrades (that's just one example - none of the other items specify, either.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think you'll just have to wiki search those specific item item names. There is a way to tell, I just forgot. It's easier just look it up though.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Upgrading is one of the less fun things to do in the game. Four separate stations. Why?

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Scoop20906 wrote:Upgrading is one of the less fun things to do in the game. Four separate stations. Why?
Console inventory management, I'd guess.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Absolutely console memory management. Anytime you see that kind of obtuse menu system for a big game, it's that.

Mass Effect had you pointing your gun at everyone because they couldn't afford the memory to have Shepard lower his gun for conversations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Latest patch apparently nerfs the Arcane Warrior. I think I might go back and load a game I saved just prior to choosing my Mage specialization and try it out. I put the game aside a while back after hitting a part I wasn't really enjoying. This may put me back on track though.

...of course, Witcher 3 is coming out soon too.
Covfefe!
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

How did it nerf the arcane warrior?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Balance changed on Arcane Warriors. “Spirit Blade” now costs more and does less damage to Barriers and Guard in multiplayer. “Spirit Blade” no longer applies a damage bonus in both play modes
It might not be enough, but it's at least a start. I really wanted to play an AW, but it was just too easy to become a killing god. It seriously needed some balancing.

update: and never mind. the KE (which I keep wanting to call Arcane Warrior) is still a combat god without equal. I'm going to stick with my Rift Mage. The nerf removed a bonus from Spirit Blade that was mistakenly added in the last patch or something.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So... Much... To do...

I made my way back to Haven, then spent two hours talking to all of my party members and advisors, selling, crafting, and getting things equipped. I then performed one mission that ended up with me in Skyhold (being deliberately spoiler-free vague here.) I then spent several hours figuring out where everything was in Skyhold, where all the doors went, reading all the books, and talking with every party member, advisor, and NPC again. When I was nearly done, I spoke to Solas and had his little cutscene, after which I discovered that Skyhold had changed, new rooms and halls had opened up everywhere, and all of the NPCs had new things they needed to discuss.

Short version: In the last seven hours of play, I've spent one hour on missions and six talking or reading. I love story, but I'm really ready to go kill something.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

My recommendation really is to just go kill something, and do that often. Come back after you do 1-2 small quests, and talk to 1-2 guys, instead of waiting until so much has passed and trying to cram all the exposition in one go.

The dialog is all pretty good, new and interesting stuff that other DA games haven't covered. But it's wasted if you're too grumpy to pay attention.

You also don't need everything if you're not interested in it. I can't think of any characters that change in big ways from the small side conversations. So just stop asking if you don't want to hear more.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Turtle wrote: You also don't need everything if you're not interested in it. I can't think of any characters that change in big ways from the small side conversations. So just stop asking if you don't want to hear more.
No! No no no! Must do everything or brain won't leave me alone.

I actually didn't put off the exposition. I always keep up to date with it. It just happens that at a certain point in the game it drops a metric ton on you. Twice.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Really enjoying the game. Just finished up the Mage Rebellion main quest (picked that over the Templar quest, since the mages seemed like they would be more useful regarding the breach), which was pretty epic. I had one small annoyance re: the final decision in that quest:
Spoiler:
I offered an alliance to the mages rather than bringing them in as "conscripts" (which would basically make them slaves, right)? I was a little annoyed that the choice was so binary, since the responsible choice would seem to be something like bring them into the Inquisition as members subject to oversight within the Inquisition. Didn't help that the actual resulting dialogue was my guy saying "We offer you a grand alliance!" like a doofus.
Anyway, enjoying the plot, and the game is a lot of fun. It's a little annoying that the conversations at Haven with Cassandra and Cullen are right by the army training, since it's hard to hear them over the sound of swords repeatedly clashing.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:Short version: In the last seven hours of play, I've spent one hour on missions and six talking or reading. I love story, but I'm really ready to go kill something.
...in the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Short version: In the last seven hours of play, I've spent one hour on missions and six talking or reading. I love story, but I'm really ready to go kill something.
...in the game.
Assumptions...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was just explaining for the NSA monitors.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:I was just explaining for the NSA monitors.
They already checked my achievements and saw that I sided with the rebel mages over the traditional Templars. I think this puts me on a no-fly list or something.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I also went with the mages. It was only logical.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I am curious what the Templar mission is. The Templar did seem more useful for building a long-term power structure, but it was unclear to me what help they could offer regarding the massive demonic breach in the sky, which is of some concern.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:
Turtle wrote: You also don't need everything if you're not interested in it. I can't think of any characters that change in big ways from the small side conversations. So just stop asking if you don't want to hear more.
No! No no no! Must do everything or brain won't leave me alone.
Now my brain can leave me alone.

I finally finished this today. The save file shows 200 hours, which probably translates to 160 of actual play. I finished at level 23, with level 17 in influence. I played on the PS4, and have every trophy save for the 'win on hard/nightmare' set, which would require a separate playthrough (someday.) All 10 dragons downed, all the rifts closed, all 114 shards found.

While it was less pronounced in some games, I definitely had the issue with open world games where doing too much makes you too powerful. By the end, nothing could touch me. Nothing. I don't think I've had to drink a healing potion since level 15 - nothing has made it through my Guard to actually affect my health.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I haven’t followed this thread in ages but one interface problem that drove me mad when trying to play was that I had to walk next to an object before interacting with it. In the original DA you could click a chest at any range and your character would walk to it and then open the chest. I saw no option to do this in Inquisition. Has this been fixed/added?