Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Post by Smoove_B »

Announced today on the BioWare blog:

The next game will be called Dragon Age III: Inquisition.

We won’t be talking about the story of the game today. Though you can make some guesses from the title.

This game is being made by a lot of the same team that has been working on Dragon Age since Dragon Age: Origins. It’s composed of both experienced BioWare veterans and talented new developers.

We are working on a new engine which we believe will allow us to deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization. At PAX East, we talked about armor and followers… Yeah, that kind of customization. We’ve started with Frostbite 2 from DICE as a foundation to accomplish this.
If I was being 100% honest, I'm posting this for completeness sake, not because I'm anxiously awaiting more details.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Arcanis

Re: Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Post by Arcanis »

I'm at the forget them point. I liked DA:O but couldn't finish it, I always felt like I should have made a different character because what I liked to play wasn't nearly as good of a build. The best part about DA2 was it got me a free copy of Mass Effect 2, so that should give you an idea of how much I enjoyed that game.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
morlac

Post by morlac »

I am replaying origins right now as Bow/Dual wield Dale Elf thief. I have a ton of mods running and it's even better than the first play through. Simply love the game. DA2 was an obvious mandated rush job so I have no idea what to think about the third. It sounds like they may be allowed to take their time on this one. How much though? I seriously doubt it will have the development cycle of the first but then it shouldn't need quite that much. Hmm, I'll go with cautiously optimistic for now.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

morlac wrote:I am replaying origins right now as Bow/Dual wield Dale Elf thief. I have a ton of mods running and it's even better than the first play through. Simply love the game. DA2 was an obvious mandated rush job so I have no idea what to think about the third. It sounds like they may be allowed to take their time on this one. How much though? I seriously doubt it will have the development cycle of the first but then it shouldn't need quite that much. Hmm, I'll go with cautiously optimistic for now.
I'm not sure development time means that much anymore to Bioware games after EA started to deal more directly with the company. Their last few games have felt like someone went down a list of checkboxes after a committee meeting. Bioware has become a company that makes derivative RPGs, however much it may hurt to face that reality. With things like Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, numerous other Kickstarter RPGs, The Witcher 3, and so on on the horizon, I no longer feel the need to purchase their games. Been fooled twice now (would have been three times if I'd bought The Old Republic). Won't get me again.
Insert witty comment here.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

What kind of mods are you running?
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. Some are excited because they're upgrading to the Frostbite 2 engine -- the same one that powers Battlefield 3. While I'm sure it can craft amazing fantasy landscapes, part of me also thinks they're doing it to take advantage of the possibility of having a 64 player capture the flag battles on dragon back and push-carts.

Which isn't to suggest that a multiplayer game like that wouldn't be fun, but not shoe-horned into what really should be a story-driven SP experience. Adding MP nonsense because you need people to keep copies of the game and not sell them back to GameStop for $10 twenty hours after they finish it is a trend that needs to die.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

I like the story and world enough to pay attention to this new game, but I can't say its a day one purchase at this point. They did seem to say the right things after DA2, so we'll see.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Liked the first one a lot. Kinda liked the second one. Not interested in a part 3.

Make a new Baldur's Gate in overhead view then Im good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Go back Project Eternity, then.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I liked both DA's...the second not as much as the first but I am more than willing to give them another try.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even if it is EA and Origin client?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

What's so bad about the Origin client? I use it for a few games and it really hasn't bothered me. Downloads were faster then steam.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Arcanis wrote:I'm at the forget them point. I liked DA:O but couldn't finish it...
This about sums it up for me. I liked the first one, enjoyed my time playing, never got to the end, and wandered off. The DLC got annoying, the sequel reviews were mixed, and I didn't like the changes made. Think I eventually bought it a bargain price, but never put it at the top of the list to play. Don't have much interest in continuing down this EA/Bioware trail...
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote:Yup. Some are excited because they're upgrading to the Frostbite 2 engine -- the same one that powers Battlefield 3. While I'm sure it can craft amazing fantasy landscapes, part of me also thinks they're doing it to take advantage of the possibility of having a 64 player capture the flag battles on dragon back and push-carts.

Which isn't to suggest that a multiplayer game like that wouldn't be fun, but not shoe-horned into what really should be a story-driven SP experience. Adding MP nonsense because you need people to keep copies of the game and not sell them back to GameStop for $10 twenty hours after they finish it is a trend that needs to die.
I already have a multiplayer RPG game where I can play with or against hundreds of other players....GW2. And no DLC needed.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Octavious wrote:What's so bad about the Origin client? I use it for a few games and it really hasn't bothered me. Downloads were faster then steam.
I recently purchased the disc version of Mass Effect 3. When I went to play the game I started the install process. It required me to log onto Origin which then required me to Dl'd the game from Origin in order to complete the install process. In looking this up apparently this is a major glitch for many people and EA/Origin has never bothered fixing the problem.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I guess EA got a bit too meddlesome in how Bioware should design their RPGs: Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka Are Leaving BioWare

Probably doesn't bode well for the state of Dragon Age 3, eh? :P
Insert witty comment here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

TiLT wrote:I guess EA got a bit too meddlesome in how Bioware should design their RPGs: Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka Are Leaving BioWare

Probably doesn't bode well for the state of Dragon Age 3, eh? :P
I imagine we will see a Kickstarter project from one or both of them within the year, no?

Formula seems to be:
1. Be a programmer of games from the dawn and/or golden age of PC gaming
2. Have your company bought out by a much larger company, or simply lose the original team that helped you make great games due to attrition
3. Try to work for/under the thumb of an oppressive gaming company overlord/behemoth.
4. Realize that said company is only after profit, not making great games, which you view as an art more than a job
5. Go it on your own via crowdfunding
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think I was over 200 hours played in DA:O/A. Never played DA2.

Hope this isn't like DA2.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:Yup. Some are excited because they're upgrading to the Frostbite 2 engine -- the same one that powers Battlefield 3. While I'm sure it can craft amazing fantasy landscapes, part of me also thinks they're doing it to take advantage of the possibility of having a 64 player capture the flag battles on dragon back and push-carts.

Project Eternity, or maybe Black Isle revisited then, I guess...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Adding MP nonsense because you need people to keep copies of the game and not sell them back to GameStop for $10 twenty hours after they finish it is a trend that needs to die.
Don't worry, they'll include day zero DLC codes with new boxed copies to prevent people from buying used.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here is the first trailer from E3.

Coming "Fall 2014"
Last edited by Smoove_B on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow »

Smoove_B wrote:Here is the first trailer from E3.

Coming "Fall 2014"
I think you meant this trailer :mrgreen:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:ninja:

Thanks. :D
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Responding to old posts about the engine. The reality is the upgrade to frostbite is simpler than that. It allows all of EA's studios to use the same engine, allowing them to have all the artists across multiple studios to be familiar with the same tools and same engine. This allows improvements or techniques developed for one game to be used in another. It also allows multiple studios to pitch in more easily since all AAA games tend to use outside help now.

The trailer is nice, but they have to show actual gameplay to really get me interested after DA2.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I played and finished both the other ones and am not a bit interested in this. Also that trailer didn't impress me either. I wont be bothering this time around.

Bioware has lost me. They sold out to RA and left. They also haven't made a good game recently to me. That's the end of them as far as Im concerned.....until they make something good....new(hello EA, stop making sequels now m'k?)....and get back to their roots. I'd like a new RPG with overhead view. I'd love a new Star Wars game.

Maybe they could pick up and finish Star Wars 13 or whatever it was called.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I'm excited. Kinda. I'll play it anyways, lol. And Morrigan's back? Hmm.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't pick up on it, but apparently they've removed the #3 from the title:
“I think there’s always this debate over numbers versus no numbers, what works, what doesn’t work,” Gibeau told IGN. “We felt like we wanted to bring more attention to the word Inquisition, because that’s more the story arc of what it’s like. There’s a whole bunch of gameplay and features and big story choices related to how you go through this Inquisition that happens in the world.”

“It’s a tactical marketing decision,” Gibeau continued. “There wasn’t anything that strategic about it, to be blunt. We just wanted to draw more attention to the fact that Inquisition is an all-new chapter inside of the Dragon Age universe, as opposed to people expecting a follow-on to Dragon Age 1 and 2 in a literal, linear sense.”
If DA2 sold 37 billion copies, you can bet your ass it would have been called Dragon Age 3: Inquisition.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Quasi-Gameplay trailer with tons of cinematics, (for a game that will be) arriving 10/7/14.

Preview is up on Kotaku:
Unfortunately, in its attempt to court a wider audience, Dragon Age 2 made some choices that hardcore fans weren't particularly happy about. For example: in becoming more action oriented, the combat in Dragon Age 2 seemed to lose its strategic challenge. And forcing players to be humans in Dragon Age 2 seemed to flatten a lot of the complexity of the world, if not make the entire experience a tad boring—playable races in Origins meant that players could see the nuances and ugliness of specific race politics first-hand.

Now it almost seems like many of the improvements to Inquisition are a direct response to fan complaints to the changes in Dragon Age 2, and like a return to form, RPG-wise, for BioWare. Top-down tactical view is back. Playable races are back. The game seems to have more of an emphasis on challenge thanks to non-regenerative health.
Official thoughts:
I've seen the new Dragon Age in action, I've even gotten a chance to talk to BioWare about it—Inquisition looks about as promising as a game that I haven't actually played can look. Despite having a gorgeous game that seems to iterate and evolve in the right ways, despite BioWare saying the right things, I wouldn't blame skeptical fans for remaining wary after Dragon Age 2 and perhaps Mass Effect 3 burned them. I get it. But Inquisition doesn't just seem like an improvement on just Dragon Age specifically—it looks like BioWare is returning to its roots instead of making questionable changes in an attempt to cater to the masses, as it has in its most recent games. It'll be interesting to see if this approach works.
My only observation from the trailer was noticing a guy in plate armor rolling around during a fight. I don't remember that mechanic from the first or even second game...
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:Gameplay trailer, arriving 10/7/14.
Heh, I read this as an announcement that a gameplay trailer was coming in 6 months. So glad to be wrong. :)

Also, I'd call that a cinematic trailer with a few bits of "maybe gameplay" slipped in. The scenes that looked like they could be gameplay looked like a third person action game. I didn't see anything tactical.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm also seeing that they're releasing a special tool for this game that will permit you to create (or recreate) a save file that fits your needs for this game.

I tried re-playing Dragon Age a few months ago, but I'm not sure I have 70+ hours in me. Then again, it'll be a long summer. DA2 was on my Xbox360 so that's certainly not going to work. Regardless, this save game file thingy (technical term) seems like a smart move.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Whew, glad it's coming in Oct which gives me time to finish up my replay of Dragon Age and the expansions. It's still a lot of fun the second time around, now playing as a Dwarven noble and I had forgotten how good the game was. The "romantic" scenes are a bit comical with my Dwarf though.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still trying to decide whether to play DA2 before it comes out. I've finished Origins twice.
Smoove_B wrote: My only observation from the trailer was noticing a guy in plate armor rolling around during a fight. I don't remember that mechanic from the first or even second game...
If you're going to be rolling around in combat to begin with, it might as well be in plate. That way when they chop at your comically rolling form as it goes by, you'll have a little protection.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I recently put 90 hours into replaying the deluxe edition, although I still have the expansion to re-play. I wasn't sure about re-doing DA2 but I probably will re-play it as well.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished DA at least twice plus all the DLC. Got to the only town in # 2 and immediately lost interest. 3rd one should be worth a look, but probably a good idea to wait for the reviews.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I do believe they'll have an official save game creator, allowing you to quickly make choices without having to replay the prior games.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere...
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I'll read posts but you can't expect me to remember them :p.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I really enjoyed DA1. Can't remember now if I ever played the second. I'm interested in DA3 and watched the trailer. Looked good, but one thing struck me:

Are the player-controlled heroes actually the Inquisition? At the end of the trailer, I could have sworn there was a tagline that went something like, "Whatever we were before, whatever has passed before us, we are now the Inquisition." Did I get that right? If so . . . um, no thanks. I don't want to be the Inquisition. The Inquisition kind of sucked. Tell me I'm missing something here.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wasn't there an 'inquisition' in the Dragon Age story tied in with the Templars and their fight against the misuse of magic (ie - blood magic?)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The Inquisition is, or was, part of the Chantry. It was disbanded long ago, and now The Seekers, another militant order within the Chantry, have basically become the Inquisition in response to the tears in the veil and the need for a military force to deal with it.

Now, the Inquisition has a position similar to what the Templars had, which was tied closely to the Chantry, but not bound by it. By this time in the story, the Templars have fully broken away from the Chantry to fight mages. The Inquisition is here now to basically clean up everyone's messes, and not just deal with the mage/templar war.