Prison Architect by Introversion

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: Prison Architect by Introversion

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote:The game is incredibly fun, but I always run out of money even after building workshops. I'm always spending money on repair damage caused by mad inmates. I can never keep them happy.
I have the same problem. I've only just recently even bothered to TRY and make a profit to keep funds going really, because I had so much trouble in the past (and really, still)...

I've stopped this (although, from the sounds of it this Update may make me do it again), but what I used to always do was start a map, and instantly open up the Save file and update this line:

Code: Select all

BEGIN Finance    Balance 10000.0  LastDay 0  SalePrice 0  END
Give myself about million, and then sandbox away.

Yeah.... this new update has added a LOT of things that cost $$
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unagi wrote:
naednek wrote:The game is incredibly fun, but I always run out of money even after building workshops. I'm always spending money on repair damage caused by mad inmates. I can never keep them happy.
I have the same problem. I've only just recently even bothered to TRY and make a profit to keep funds going really, because I had so much trouble in the past (and really, still)...

I've stopped this (although, from the sounds of it this Update may make me do it again), but what I used to always do was start a map, and instantly open up the Save file and update this line:

Heh... I just start the game, and put it on the fastest setting and let it run over night before building anything...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

naednek wrote:
Unagi wrote:

Heh... I just start the game, and put it on the fastest setting and let it run over night before building anything...
Might as well cheat instead of doing that :P
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I hack the save game file for money as well. I subscribe to the theory that in single player there is no such thing as cheating, it's only a different style of playing :D. I posted over on the PA forum a while ago asking that this ability (extra money) be made a sandbox option, or at least the save file be left unencrypted. I suck at economics and would rather just build a lot and then manage the finances.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

I loath to make it too easy so I just build a prison get my money up and sell it. After that money is never an issue.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote:I loath to make it too easy so I just build a prison get my money up and sell it. After that money is never an issue.
Yeah, I had not even realized that option (not that it was always available) until like a month ago. That's obviously what you are intended to do, I think.... right?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote:
Rip wrote:I loath to make it too easy so I just build a prison get my money up and sell it. After that money is never an issue.
Yeah, I had not even realized that option (not that it was always available) until like a month ago. That's obviously what you are intended to do, I think.... right?
I think so. It makes much more sense to make small efficient prisons build up capital and then be able to build a larger one the way you want. It is very difficult to build a small prison and grow it to a larger one.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLueDnpnTI0

They finally rebalanced grants and lots of finance changes in general.
= Financial system improvements
Cashflow is now visible from the very start, without needing an Accountant to unlock it
Cashflow is now paid hourly, instead of at midnight as before
The starting bank balance has been increased from $10,000 to $30,000
The daily federal grant has been increased from $1,500 to $2,000
You now receive more daily money for the max security prisoners
Cash Bonus : Days without Incident
You now receive a bonus to your cashflow based on the number of days without incident. The bonus accumulates at a rate of $1,000 per day without incident. So after 1 day you get a $1,000 bonus, but after 2 days you get a $2,000 bonus The maximum daily bonus is $10,000 for 10 days straight without incident. The amount received resets immediately to zero after a death, serious injury, or escape.
Corporation Taxes
You must now pay tax - 30% of all profits, directly out of your daily cashflow. Once you have a profitable prison you can use your accountant to reduce this to 15% You can also unlock an offshore tax haven for a whopping $50,000, that reduces your Corporation Taxes to 1%. (This is only recommended for prisons with massive daily profits)
Bank Loans
You can now borrow lump sums of money from the bank, and pay interest on the amount borrowed. Interest payments are made hourly, and each successful payment increases your credit rating. As your credit rating increases, so does the amount you can borrow, up to a max of $100,000
Prison Share Scheme
You can choose to sell shares in your prison to private investors and venture capitalists. They will pay you 10% of the current prison value, in exchange for 10% ownership of your prison. You can sell up to 50% of your prison this way, and you can buy back at any time (although the price may have gone up) However if you've sold 30% of your prison to investors, you will only receive 70% of the price when you come to sell the entire prison
= Game rebalancing
The prison 'temperature' now increases quite a bit slower, taking much longer to reach dangerous levels
The temperature falls much quicker once the causes of frustration have been resolved
A prisoner's "time served" now counts up much more slowly, meaning they will spend longer in your jail before release. Previously one year sentence = 36 game hours (1.5 days) Now one year sentence = 120 game hours (5 days)
The Workshop Safety Induction can now be taught to 10 prisoners at once (up from 5 previously), and prisoners can use a workshop saw OR a workshop press whilst learning
- New room/zone : Exports
Finished items are taken from the workshop to the new exports zone. Workmen will do the hauling.
If the exports zone is 'secure' then your prisoners will also do the hauling.
Items in the Exports zone will be loaded onto passing delivery trucks and taken away.
You will be paid as they leave the prison site.
NOTE: Logs will be auto-sold if there are no workshop Saws on site.
NOTE: Wood will be auto-sold if there are no carpenters tables, or no qualified carpenters on site
- SDL 2.0
The game is now using SDL 2.0 for windowing, mouse/keyboard input, and sound. (Previously SDL 1.2)
This should help with hardware compatibility and reliability
Also provides better support for high dpi displays, joypads, tablets etc
- High DPI mode
High DPI mode is now supported on certain displays - eg the Macbook Pro Retina display. Enable it from the Graphics menu. This will make the game look significantly sharper on high DPI displays. (Eg Retina Mac previously ran the game at 1280x800 - now runs at 2560x1600 on a 13" screen!)
= Improvements and Fixes
Greatly improved the display of Jobs in the deployment screen
You must now keep your Administrators employed if you wish to continue using the facilities they have unlocked
Prisoners with 'Qualifications' gained from reform programs will now strongly prefer to work in jobs that use those qualifications This fixes a problem where all your qualified workshop prisoners went off to do the cleaning
Tazers are no longer flagged as 'Metal', so wont set off metal detectors
Trees will no longer leave a stump if they are felled indoors, eg after building new foundations over forest
The Emergency Services toolbar now shows tooltips for each service type, including the cost of callout
The Rooms toolbar now highlights rooms you are likely to want to build, due to grants/objectives
The Bureaucracy screen has been laid out in a new arrangement to make room for all the new unlocks
The Lawyer has been removed from the game, as he currently serves no purpose. He may return at a later date.
New graphics for the Teacher
Fixed : The reform program 'Scheduler' now ensures there will be a teacher available when picking a time slot. This fixes a bug with the foreman being expected to teach multiple workshop induction classes at once.
NOTE: You may need to manually click "Reschedule" if your prison has this problem after loading
Fixed : Prisoners working as janitors would stand around in the cleaning cupboard doing nothing, unless you had at least one janitor hired (or if you had very few janitors in a large jail)
Fixed : Cutting down a tree near a wall square will no longer demolish that wall square
Fixed : Experience will no longer tick up on dead prisoners
Fixed : You can no longer place rooms over lakes
Fixed : Stolen contraband would still be counted if the prisoner responsible had left the jail. This counted towards the overall 'Supply' level, but could never be found by searching.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I was one of the folks who always hacked a saved game file to get the money because it was such a pain to get a positive cash flow. The changes in this update ought to help that, although I'm still hoping they never encrypt the save files just in case, or maybe provide a "no finances" option.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Nice update.

I'm looking forward to making the AI prisoners a bit more crafty and to maybe limit them digging 1/4 in a single night with a wooden spoon. Also more mean prisoners. Mine are happy lambs with needs that are pretty easy to control.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

jztemple2 wrote:I was one of the folks who always hacked a saved game file to get the money because it was such a pain to get a positive cash flow. The changes in this update ought to help that, although I'm still hoping they never encrypt the save files just in case, or maybe provide a "no finances" option.
I did the same. I wanted to explore what I could build and manage without worrying about the money too much.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New update out that adds some pretty cool stuff...
All prisoners have a new 'Grading' tab in their rap sheet, in which they are scored on four key metrics:

PUNISHMENT To what extent has this prisoner been punished? Long jail terms and solitary increase this.
REFORM How successful have your reform attempts been? Passing reform programs and working increases this.
SECURITY Was the prisoner kept safely locked away? Fights and escapes detract from this, armed lockdown counts towards it.
HEALTH A measure of the welfare of your prisoner. Keeping them well fed and exercised will increase this.
These factors are combined, together with their age, number of prior convictions etc, to produce an estimate of their Re-offending chance.

There is a new overall grading 'score' screen, available from the build toolbar.
The gradings for all your released prisoners are combined together and shown.
This screen shows what type of prison you have produced, and how successful you have been.
= Failure conditions (!!! TURNED OFF FOR PRE-EXISTING PRISONS !!!)
It is now possible to fail when building your prison, in certain circumstances. This constitutes a game over event.
All failure conditions come with a verbal warning from the CEO, giving you chance to avert the failure.
There are currently four failure conditions:
RIOT If you let a riot run for too long, the government will be forced to step in and take over your prison. In this event you will be sacked, and the National Guard will be deployed to retake your prison by force.
BANKRUPTCY If you have a negative bank balance and a negative cashflow, you are bankrupt. You will have 24 hours to put in place a financial rescue package before being sacked.
DEATHS Too many deaths in a single day will trigger a warning. If more deaths occur the next day you will be sacked. You will then be convicted of Criminal Negligence, and will spend time within your own jail as a prisoner.
ESCAPES Too many escapes in a single day is a PR disaster waiting to happen. If more escapes occur the next day you will be sacked.
NOTE : Failure conditions are OFF for all pre-existing prisons. They will apply when you create a new prison.
You can manually turn them on by adding this line to your save file at the top:
FailureConditions true
On screen counters will popup to notify you of deaths and escapes that occurred today
- It is now much easier to find foreign language translations in the Steam Workshop.
Go to the main menu / Extras / Mods / Find more translations.
Fixed: Many steam mods were incorrectly tagged as language translations.
- Finance continued
The "Days without incident" bonus now scales based on how many prisoners you have. You now need 200 prisoners on site to achieve the maximum bonus increase of $1,000 per day. This scales up each day you achieve it, up to a maximum of $10,000 per day, requiring 200 prisoners without incident for 10 or more days. Good luck!
You can no longer trade in shares, or sell your prison, if there have been any deaths or escapes in the past 24 hours. This should put a stop to unconsionable players who helped prisoners escape or commit murder in order to profit from share trading!
Yesterday's exports are now reflected in your cashflow as income
- New graphics added for body armour upgrades
guards, armed guards and dog handlers.
- Fixes
Fixed : Exports zone would not work correctly if placed above the Deliveries zone, or placed vertically aligned with the Deliveries or garbage zones
Fixed : Having negative cash reserves stopped hourly cashflow from happening
Fixed : Prisoner sentences counted down faster on larger maps, due to the time warp factor used
Fixed : In the "New prison" window, the "Fog of war" and "Continuous intake" tick boxes didn't work properly
Fixed : Particles and sun shadows are now correctly obscured by fog of war
I love being able to watch things unfold if you fail... watching the National Guard slaughter your prisoners or being able to walk around your prison if you end up getting incarcerated there, very cool.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm buying this tonight since its finally on sale for 66% off.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isn't living in the future grand? You can get a deep discount on a game that's not officially been released.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not a fan of early release stuff, but if this game was an example of the norm I'd quickly change my tune. It's amazing what they have done with this game and the constant updates. Now if they could get it so that my video card doesn't go full blast when I load the game up I'd be golden. It just thrashes my PC for some reason.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Here's the missed video that explains the patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Lsf-j ... 8sT0sJZyBg
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Got it. Not sure where to start. The tutorial is small. So I guess it's time false start for a little while until I get comfy.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote:Got it. Not sure where to start. The tutorial is small. So I guess it's time false start for a little while until I get comfy.
You can also download a modded starting prison from the Steam Workshop that gives you lots of up front money so you can just build to your heart's content.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I took a few months off. Playing again to see how much I missed.

Jumped right into the large prison I had started before I took a break. Had the Perimiter wall built around the entire area and still $1M in cash. I always like to take a break by selling off my last prison and saving with the cash and a blank slate. Probably build this one up and sell it of rather quick just to make sure I don't suffer from any bugs/non-working features since I am technically starting off with a save from a previous version. Loving what I have seen so far. Last I played was the release right after dogs were implemented.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How will I sell a prison when that time comes?
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:How will I sell a prison when that time comes?
In reports under the valuation tab.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Currently on sale for 13.59 including Darwininia, Multiwinia, Defcon and Uplink. Had to pull the trigger at that price. May not play it for a year but what the hey.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Cortilian wrote:Currently on sale for 13.59 including Darwininia, Multiwinia, Defcon and Uplink. Had to pull the trigger at that price. May not play it for a year but what the hey.
I debated getting the other games. I take I'm missing out for not spending the extra two bucks.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:
Cortilian wrote:Currently on sale for 13.59 including Darwininia, Multiwinia, Defcon and Uplink. Had to pull the trigger at that price. May not play it for a year but what the hey.
I debated getting the other games. I take I'm missing out for not spending the extra two bucks.
Uplink and Defcon are good fun, but I could never get into the "Winia" games.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I bought this and started playing it. I seem to occasionally have problemswith people getting stuck with doors (I guess some of the time they're waiting for a guard to open it, but sometimes it just looks like too many people are trying to get out and get in at the same time). I put that to the game not being in release status. Also, sometimes I find a few peopledoing weird things (eg, a doctor went off into a building I had with the staff lounge (or whatever it's called) and after they relaxed they went out of that room and just wandered about the building doing nothing forever. I wish there was a way of dragging people to a different location if they get stuck. And sometimes something Im researching doesn't move ahead, even though I have plenty of money.

The interface could be a bit better, but it's ok.

Mostly, I'd like to know if there's a way of slowing down the pace of the game - eg, only having 4 convicts added a day instead of 8.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Defiant wrote:I bought this and started playing it. I seem to occasionally have problemswith people getting stuck with doors (I guess some of the time they're waiting for a guard to open it, but sometimes it just looks like too many people are trying to get out and get in at the same time). I put that to the game not being in release status.
That's by design. You can either keep an eye on the door and right click to open it when it gets busy, keep the door permanently open, or station a guard nearby to open the door when needed. A lot of busy internal doors I'll keep open except when there's an incident and I need to lock things down.
Defiant wrote: Also, sometimes I find a few peopledoing weird things (eg, a doctor went off into a building I had with the staff lounge (or whatever it's called) and after they relaxed they went out of that room and just wandered about the building doing nothing forever. I wish there was a way of dragging people to a different location if they get stuck.
Never seen anyone not go to where they are needed when called. Was there a medical emergency they missed while out wandering around? That would most likely be a bug then.
Defiant wrote: And sometimes something Im researching doesn't move ahead, even though I have plenty of money.
Never seen that. Once you start researching a new tech it pays the cost up front, so no need of money after that.
Defiant wrote: Mostly, I'd like to know if there's a way of slowing down the pace of the game - eg, only having 4 convicts added a day instead of 8.
You can't lower the number of prisoners, but you can turn on and off intake from one of the tabs in the ledger. Just take in your first group and stop accepting new prisoners until you are ready for more.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sepiche wrote: That's by design. You can either keep an eye on the door and right click to open it when it gets busy, keep the door permanently open, or station a guard nearby to open the door when needed. A lot of busy internal doors I'll keep open except when there's an incident and I need to lock things down.
Im still getting used to the interface, but all of the builders were stuck there (plus there was trash and other things). I tried creating another door, but that didn't help. I had to fire everyone. I even tried to fire all but one person, but he still wouldn't move... I just guess I wish they were smarter than the three stooges., but that's what I use to justify firing them. :tjg:
Never seen anyone not go to where they are needed when called. Was there a medical emergency they missed while out wandering around? That would most likely be a bug then.
There were people being injured. I hadnt made a medical room, though (but adding another doctor helped as they went to heal people).

Never seen that. Once you start researching a new tech it pays the cost up front, so no need of money after that.
I was trying to research cleaning (because there was so much blood everywhere. Damn, this is a violent game!). It was stuck at 5:59 to go.
You can't lower the number of prisoners, but you can turn on and off intake from one of the tabs in the ledger. Just take in your first group and stop accepting new prisoners until you are ready for more.
Perfect. Thanks for all the info!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

No worries... I haven't played in a couple of versions, so some of those could be new bugs.

The door one is odd since I've seen hundreds of prisoners crowd through narrow hallways without problems. What type of door was it they were stuck at? Your workers should have keys to staff doors, but not to bar doors... only your guards have keys to those, but even if it was a higher security door a guard should have been dispatched at some point to open it. If you want to post a screenshot maybe one of us can figure it out from that.

With doctors the usual flow is to build a medical room with a bed or two and injured people will be brought there for treatment and the doctors usually hang out there. Good to know they can sometimes heal without a medical ward though! I'd bet the issue is related to the medical ward though... if you build one I bet the doctor that's wandering around will head there and then work again.
Rip

Post by Rip »

When researching cleaning did you have a maintenance chief? You can pay to research it without him, but he does the research so until you hire him and he has an office the research counter won't countdown. Same is true of all the security research, you can pay for it but it won't actually count down until you hire a security chief and give him an office.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

That would explain why I'm not making progress. I have a maintenance guy (and a security chief) but no offices for them. How do I add them to an office?

Also, how do I do the behavioral therapy? I had a psychologist with his own office, and added a couple of chairs but it still says All Rooms Booked. I made a classroom, but still no dice.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sepiche wrote:No worries... I haven't played in a couple of versions, so some of those could be new bugs.

The door one is odd since I've seen hundreds of prisoners crowd through narrow hallways without problems. What type of door was it they were stuck at? Your workers should have keys to staff doors, but not to bar doors... only your guards have keys to those, but even if it was a higher security door a guard should have been dispatched at some point to open it. If you want to post a screenshot maybe one of us can figure it out from that.
It was a barred door, and I may have only had 1 guard who might have been busy with thousands of other jobs.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote:That would explain why I'm not making progress. I have a maintenance guy (and a security chief) but no offices for them. How do I add them to an office?

To answer my own question on this, building a new office will automatically assign one of them to the office.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Defiant wrote: Also, how do I do the behavioral therapy? I had a psychologist with his own office, and added a couple of chairs but it still says All Rooms Booked. I made a classroom, but still no dice.
I haven't played with the new therapy and class stuff yet, but if no one else can answer your question you might try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSoteVB_lE#t=54

That's the video where they introduced that feature and explained how it works. Hopefully that will help.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:That would explain why I'm not making progress. I have a maintenance guy (and a security chief) but no offices for them. How do I add them to an office?

Also, how do I do the behavioral therapy? I had a psychologist with his own office, and added a couple of chairs but it still says All Rooms Booked. I made a classroom, but still no dice.
Just have a 4X4 room with a desk, chair, and filing cabinet. Then use the room tool to mark it as an office. It will automatically be assigned to someone if there is a staff member in need of an office.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:
Sepiche wrote:No worries... I haven't played in a couple of versions, so some of those could be new bugs.

It was a barred door, and I may have only had 1 guard who might have been busy with thousands of other jobs.
Just click on it and lock it open. Return it to normal after they pass if you don't want to leave it locked open. I often manually open and close some doors for workers and such if needed when the guards are flooded with other things to do, like when they get preoccupied with escorting new prisoners in when you get a crapload of them dropped of in the morning. It is also handy to assign a guard to a room that has a lot of traffic from people that can't open the door themselves. For instance I always have a guard stationed at my entrance lock-out chamber I use to make sure no inmates see an open path to the outside.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sepiche wrote:
Defiant wrote: Also, how do I do the behavioral therapy? I had a psychologist with his own office, and added a couple of chairs but it still says All Rooms Booked. I made a classroom, but still no dice.
I haven't played with the new therapy and class stuff yet, but if no one else can answer your question you might try this:

That's the video where they introduced that feature and explained how it works. Hopefully that will help.
That'll be useful, thanks.

II also had a bug where I would place some pipes and in certain locations the workers never would place them, even though they wou place them in the locations around them, they would have free access to the ocation, and theres no reason I could see for them not to work with pipes. After trying several different paths for the pipes, I eventually gave up and just expanded the room so I could move the sink to a location I already had pipes going to.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip wrote: It is also handy to assign a guard to a room that has a lot of traffic from people that can't open the door themselves. For instance I always have a guard stationed at my entrance lock-out chamber I use to make sure no inmates see an open path to the outside.
Yeah this is useful. Ive started creating airlocks with guards assigned (ones inside the building between wings I leave open except during lockdown, but the ones that open to the outside I leave normal.

Also, is there a way to assign a guard to a metal detector, or do you just need a guard stationed in the room for them to work with the metal detectors?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Oh and I will say I was disappointed in the cloining option since I was hoping I could clone a building, but it looks like there's a size constraint.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:
Sepiche wrote:

That'll be useful, thanks.

II also had a bug where I would place some pipes and in certain locations the workers never would place them, even though they wou place them in the locations around them, they would have free access to the ocation, and theres no reason I could see for them not to work with pipes. After trying several different paths for the pipes, I eventually gave up and just expanded the room so I could move the sink to a location I already had pipes going to.
One of the things I have seen cause this is trying to put thing in a location that has a four way intersect. So only run pipes and cables through a single wall. If two walls cross each other the square where they cross each other is unreachable. You can however build the cable/pipe first then build the crossing wires over them.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:
Rip wrote: It is also handy to assign a guard to a room that has a lot of traffic from people that can't open the door themselves. For instance I always have a guard stationed at my entrance lock-out chamber I use to make sure no inmates see an open path to the outside.
Yeah this is useful. Ive started creating airlocks with guards assigned (ones inside the building between wings I leave open except during lockdown, but the ones that open to the outside I leave normal.

Also, is there a way to assign a guard to a metal detector, or do you just need a guard stationed in the room for them to work with the metal detectors?
You don't really need them manned at all although having a guard nearby to do the search when it alarms gets them searched faster. I put metal detectors in my airlock to the outside and station a guard in that airlock and also put metal detectors in all entrances to the canteen (because everyone must go there twice a day) and keep a guard stationed in the canteen during non-sleeping hours. I typically make it so you can't go from the workshop areas to the berthing areas without passing through the canteen, thereby making sure all workers are scanned when going to/from work.