Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

Post by Smoove_B »

$38 million....
That’s it for the additional star system stretch goals. At $39 million, we’ll announce a new goal that will help chart the course for the future of Star Citizen in a different way… and it’s one I’m personally very excited about, so be sure to check back then and learn more!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

$39 Million.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$98.82 per citizen. I'm well below that average.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Brian

Post by Brian »

While not officially released yet, somebody imported the assets and created pre-release video of the upcoming variants to the Freelancer.

I’m really digging the Heavy Cargo variant. I might either buy an upgrade to change mine from the base model or simply buy a whole new ship and add it to my fleet.

DUR Exploration Variant
Not really feelin’ the chin-boobs, I gotta say.

MIS Missile Boat
Again with the chin ta-tas.

Heavy Cargo
What's that? You want me inside you? Oh yeah, baby.

Of course, I’ll have to wait until it’s officially announced so I can find out specifically what the specs for each one will be before I make any decisions.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Isgrimnur wrote:$98.82 per citizen. I'm well below that average.
And I'm well above it. :oops:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In - just pledged the Freelancer Package:
Pledgers of 125$/100€ will receive a Freelancer Package containing:

Spaceship shaped USB stick of game and all digital elements
CD of game soundtrack
Fold up glossy full color map of the game universe
Hardback bound 42-page Engineering Manual for Modders

They will also receive MISC Freelancer high-end spaceship focused towards trade and exploration, 5,000 credits and a Bronze Citizens Card.

This pledge grants Freelancer title and an exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta versions of the game.
The Stars, my Destiny...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Brian

Post by Brian »

They are probably going to break $42 Million today or tomorrow.

Only 1200 Alpha slots left so if you want in on the Alpha, you'd best hurry.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Pyperkub wrote:In - just pledged the Freelancer Package:

CD of game soundtrack

They will also receive MISC Freelancer high-end spaceship focused towards trade and exploration, 5,000 credits and a Bronze Citizens Card.

This pledge grants Freelancer title and an exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta versions of the game.
The Stars, my Destiny...
Pyper, are you sure that's the correct package description?

The $125 Freelancer package does not include the USB Spaceship, the soundtrack CD, etc.

Everything from the $125 package is digital download.

The description looks more like the $140 Freelancer + package which does include the Spaceship USB, CD, glossy map, etc.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm very interested--haven't pledged yet--but I want to know more about what you actually do in the game.

I know there will be lots of cool dogfighting, coordinated fleet actions, and the fortunes of war. I'm sure there will be trading and freighting and piracy. I'll bet there will be exploration and communication and Easter eggs galore.

What else is there? Is there a role-playing element beyond the gear on your ship? Will there be a social history/economic history developing, with events that change the nature of gameplay and control of territory as the universe develops? Will the player be part of anything happening on planets (colonization, industrial development, politics)?

Is there a guide to what the game will have in addition to cockpits and shooting?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Brian

Post by Brian »

There will be two parts to the game; Squadron 42 which is a linear, story driven campaign much like Wing Commander and then there is Star Citizen which is the online, multiplayer, persistent universe. The PU is started when you complete the SQ42 campaign and muster out of the military or you can entirely skip the SQ42 campaign and go right to the PU but will have limited funds with which to buy a starter ship.

There are lots of great resources to learn more about the game both at the RSI website and on the forums.

This thread is an excellent starting point: Guide to Star Citizen.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I was thinking that since the OO community helped me when I wanted help to reach a pledge goal for the Penn Jillette movie, the least I could do is return the favor.

I have an Alpha Slot package that I'm willing to give away that includes the following:

Aurora MR +
It all starts here, with your very own spacecraft. Blast off from your home planet into a vast galaxy of endless possibilities for adventure. Whether you’re fending off deadly Vanduul on the frontier or raiding hapless convoys in human space, you can get your start with your very own RSI Aurora spacecraft.

Starting Hangar: Discount
Starting Money: 1,000 UEC
3 Month Insurance
Digital Star Citizen Manual
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Star Citizen Digital Download
Alpha Access
Beta Access

Enlarge Image

Shoot me a PM if you are interested with subject line Star Citizen and I will drop your name in a hat from which I will draw a winner on Friday.

Bonus: If you contributed to my fundraising for the Penn movie and you want in on this, I will double your entry giving you an even greater chance at winning!!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Brian wrote:There will be two parts to the game; Squadron 42 which is a linear, story driven campaign much like Wing Commander and then there is Star Citizen which is the online, multiplayer, persistent universe. The PU is started when you complete the SQ42 campaign and muster out of the military or you can entirely skip the SQ42 campaign and go right to the PU but will have limited funds with which to buy a starter ship.

There are lots of great resources to learn more about the game both at the RSI website and on the forums.

This thread is an excellent starting point: Guide to Star Citizen.
Thanks for this info!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Brian wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:In - just pledged the Freelancer Package:

CD of game soundtrack

The Stars, my Destiny...

The $125 Freelancer package does not include the USB Spaceship, the soundtrack CD, etc.

The description looks more like the $140 Freelancer + package which does include the Spaceship USB, CD, glossy map, etc.
That was clipped from a wiki, so I should double check...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It sounds more and more interesting - like a persistent Freelancer.

The death mechanics are interesting, but I doubt the penalty system will slow down asshat guilds from popping every ejected pilot they see. Thankfully, it looks like you just roll into your next avatar when your count is up and don't really lose anything in terms of property when that happens.

It's a beautiful space game with a lot of ambition - I may jump in at the $65 for the single player campaign and find myself staying for the sandbox afterwards.

I only hope that it has a long life and doesn't attract too many mouthbreathing dumungas that work to actively ruin anyone else's fun.

Edit:
StarCitizen wrote:remember that Star Citizen will include options for running your own server
I suppose that cinches it - if people bother me, I just create my own universe.

If I jump, it'll probably be at the Origin 315p. The 325a looks like a more solid fighter, but I honestly think my first voyages will be lots of exploration and only probing at combat. I have no idea what the TR4 engine vs. the TR3 engine will do, but if faster in open space makes for easier exploration (and probably avoiding pirates in 325a's) then I'm game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:
Brian wrote:

That was clipped from a wiki, so I should double check...
You're right. Checking to see if I can upgrade ('cuz I want the Physical goodies).

In other news, when I saw Mrs. Kub last night I greeted her with:

"Honey, I bought a starship..."

She wasn't quite as amused by that as I was :csmile:

Brian

Post by Brian »

You can "melt" your purchase for store credit which you can then apply towards the purchase of the Freelancer + package but I believe you have to wait 24 hours from your initial purchase before you can do so.

To do so log on to the RSI website, then click on "My Hangar"

Find your starship pledge and then click on the arrow on the right:
Next click on "Exchange for store credits"

Then, when you buy the + package simply select "Apply store credit" when making the purchase.

I did exactly this for the same reason. I initially purchased the standard Freelancer then later upgraded to the Freelancer + package. :)

Hope that helps.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Oh, also, be aware that the Freelancer has some variants that will be available soon which I have mentioned a few posts up.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I wonder how many people will name their Freelancer "Beowulf."
Spoiler:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Brian wrote:You can "melt" your purchase for store credit which you can then apply towards the purchase of the Freelancer + package but I believe you have to wait 24 hours from your initial purchase before you can do so.

To do so log on to the RSI website, then click on "My Hangar"

Find your starship pledge and then click on the arrow on the right:
Next click on "Exchange for store credits"

Then, when you buy the + package simply select "Apply store credit" when making the purchase.

I did exactly this for the same reason. I initially purchased the standard Freelancer then later upgraded to the Freelancer + package. :)

Hope that helps.
Done- thanks!

Brian

Post by Brian »

Holman wrote:I wonder how many people will name their Freelancer "Beowulf."
I was actually planning on naming mine Rocinante.

I'll just be sure to steer clear of Cygnus X-1. :wink:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Brian wrote:
Holman wrote:I wonder how many people will name their Freelancer "Beowulf."
I was actually planning on naming mine Rocinante.

I'll just be sure to steer clear of Cygnus X-1. :wink:
Nice!

I don't normally do this, but I'd like to put my name in the hat for the Alpha Access slot. I'm really looking forward to this game!

**Edit - Never mind - I have Alpha Access with my current pledge level. I'll leave this for someone else. Thanks for doing this, though!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

So, I currently have an Avenger in my hanger. I don't know if that's optimal, though. What kind of ship are others getting? Is the Freelancer a lot better choice?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those ship packages seem pretty pricey for something that isn't even real other than a hanger and 43 million bucks. Im considering buying in but I still have a nagging doubt.

If you buy in do you still have to pay a monthly fee?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gbasden wrote:So, I currently have an Avenger in my hanger. I don't know if that's optimal, though. What kind of ship are others getting? Is the Freelancer a lot better choice?
It sounds like it really depends on what you want to do. I went with the freelancer because I see myself wanting to do more exploring, trading, smuggling etc, and I'll probably be solo for a lot of that.

The Avenger seemed more like a fighter - which will probably be more fun for the dogfighting module when it gets alpha in the next few weeks or so... it's probably more fun in the hangar too, since the freelancer doesn't currently have weapons which work with the hangar's firing range.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Currently I'm thinking of a Heinlein-esq name, as this game is bringing back a feeling of reading some of his early work - Have Starship, Will Travel!

Brian

Post by Brian »

Daehawk wrote:Those ship packages seem pretty pricey for something that isn't even real other than a hanger and 43 million bucks. Im considering buying in but I still have a nagging doubt.

No, once you buy a pledge package you are done paying. Squadron 42, Star Citizen, and all updates are included. There is no monthly fee required.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Those ship packages seem pretty pricey for something that isn't even real other than a hanger and 43 million bucks. Im considering buying in but I still have a nagging doubt.

To be honest, none of it is real. There's a lot of info on their forums or the Wikia.

The monthly subscription is for some bonus content and the honor of continued support to the developer. From what I've read, the base game will include a stand-alone single player campaign and the ability to host your own game server independent of the "MMO" portion if you don't like people, or want to just play with friends. You can mod the game, and mods can end up approved and incorporated into the persistent game. They also seem to be going heavily in the direction of "If you can buy it, you can earn it in the game with enough effort"

The entire game seems driven by the economy - planets call for resources to produce goods, resources are delivered by trade ships from other planets. Pirates attack the deliveries, bounty hunters are called for to stop the pirates. Players can take on any of these roles. From running the factories, to carrying freight, to pirating, to bounty hunting.

I've signed on as Rackminster there, will probably buy the Origin 315p sometime in the next couple days.
Black Lives Matter

Brian

Post by Brian »

Just to expand... The monthly subscription is entirely voluntary and is not tied to the game at all but rather goes to fund community content such as Wingman's Hangar, Ten for the Chairman, JumpPoint Magazine, etc. as well as access to a subscribers only forum.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, this just landed on my radar. I have a bit of an embarrassing question. These games run the gamut from pure arcade schmup to hardcore sim with every possible control detailed and necessary. Where does Star Citizen fall between these extremes?

I love a game that puts me into the pilot's seat of a spacecraft. Pretty much without exception, though, I am absolutely awful at any combat game that plays like a hardcore flight sim. I'm not saying I only do pure arcade (I prefer it to have some depth), just that if I'm having to adjust half a dozen control surfaces at once, I'll likely just fly into an asteroid while I'm doing it. I'm not sure why, I just absolutely suck at them.

Freespace had the balance about right. Tachyon: The Fringe and Freelancer were in the ballpark, too. The X-series, Battlecruiser, that sort of thing, though, where you have to memorize dozens of commands just to move, those just had me pulling my hair out.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

It's a space sim with a heritage of Wing Commander, Privateer, StarLancer, and Freelancer.

So yes, it's pilot skill based but not with an infinite number of commands you have to remember. It also allows for multicrew ships like the Constellation where you would have one player as pilot, another as navigator/damage control/etc, and two more as turret gunners for example.

The game allows you to hire NPCs to fill out your crew or, if you have multiple character slots, use one of your additional characters as an NPC.

I have a Freelancer which is a two-man ship and I plan to pilot it while using a second character as an NPC for damage control and tailgunner duties.

I may later buy an additional character slot (which the devs have plans to implement) as another NPC to fly my 325A as escort.

The game also allows for boarding action and first person shooter/interaction so there's really something for almost everybody.

Expect it to need a really robust PC to run it though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope it is more Wing Commander and less EVE..I f'n hate EVE, it's devs, and the player base. I was in beta and tried it after released...horrible place.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote:I hope it is more Wing Commander and less EVE..I f'n hate EVE, it's devs, and the player base. I was in beta and tried it after released...horrible place.
The plans are (in addition to the 2 campaign/solo-esque pieces) to allow people to run their own servers - a pocket Universe, if you will - and to be mod friendly, etc.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A lot of it sounds good...but Ive been in the gaming world since the 70's so I know to hold my grains of salt :)...But even I cant help being excited. I rememebr the feeling when I first saw Wing Commander.

At this point in my life I can only get the Aurora ..the LN one I guess. Hope I dont gimp myself from the start.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote:
At this point in my life I can only get the Aurora ..the LN one I guess. Hope I dont gimp myself from the start.
I think (I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong) you can earn game-world money by playing, then spend the game-world money on new ships. You don't have to spend real money for ships beyond the one you start with.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You are correct. Right now, however, spending real money is the only way to have them on Day 1.

I think there might be a very few ships that are preorder only, but those are few and far between.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Holman wrote:
Daehawk wrote:
I think (I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong) you can earn game-world money by playing, then spend the game-world money on new ships. You don't have to spend real money for ships beyond the one you start with.
Once the game goes live you will no longer be able to purchase ships with actual money. From that point forward you'll only be able to earn them in-game. The ships you buy now are a reward for backing the game.

One doesn't need to buy a ship or pledge at all at this point. You could wait until the game actually releases and buy a copy then. You would play through the Squadron 42 campaign and upon completing that, muster out of the service and have enough money with which to buy a starter ship to continue as a civilian in the persistent universe of Star Citizen.

Alternatively, you could opt out of the military campaign and start directly in the persistent universe. Of course, you would have no money to buy a ship so you'd have to sign on as a crew member on a multi-crew ship such as a Constellation, Retaliator, or Idris. That would mean you'd have to first find somebody that has the appropriate ship and is looking to hire player characters as crew members.

As for ships that you can purchase now, you are limited to the following:

RSI Aurora (and variants) - Low cost transport/starter ship
Origin 300i (and variants) - Luxury starfighter/light cargo
Anvil Hornet (and variants) - Starfighter
MISC Freelancer (variants coming soon) - Cargo/exploration
Drake Cutlass - Search & Rescue (favorite of pirates)
Aegis Avenger - Retired military trainer (favorite of bounty hunters)
RSI Constellation (variants coming soon) - Heavily armed cargo/exploration/etc

Ships that were offered as limited time purchase but are not currently available:

Origin 350R - Racing variant of the the 300i
Origin M50 - Dedicated racer
Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet - Two man space superiority fighter
Vanduul Scythe - Alien starfighters captured and sold on civilian market
Anvil Gladiator - Retired bomber
Drake Caterpillar - Heavy cargo (favored by pirate boarding parties)
Aegis Retaliator - Retired long range bomber
MISC Starfarer - Heavy cargo/fuel transport
Aegis Idris-M - Military frigate
Aegis Idris-P - Light patrol frigate
Banu Merchantman - Alien cargo ship
Xi'an Scout - Alien light fighter/scout

Ships that have been announced but have not (to date) been available for purchase:

Consolidated Mustang - low cost starter ship comparable to the Aurora
Origin 890 Jump - Space Yacht (I'm very interested in this)
RSI Orion - Mining Platform
Anvil Carrack - Dedicated exploration/salvage craft
MISC Hull C - Heavy cargo transport
Drake Herald - Dedicated information runner

Ship announced but is forecast to be strictly for Squadron 42 and not available for civilians:

Aegis Gladius - Light fighter

Many of the ships (and their variants) can be found on the (out of date) Ship Specs page
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote:Currently I'm thinking of a Heinlein-esq name, as this game is bringing back a feeling of reading some of his early work - Have Starship, Will Travel!
I'm thinking I'll have to go with an Iain Banks ship name.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The ships that were limited offerings - are they slated to come back at some point?

I'm still intending to get the Origin 315p, but the 350r is a sexy ship. I was looking forward to buying it when I had the cash for it in-game.

I've read that there's a plan for non-consensual PvP anywhere in the game, which makes me nervous. No matter how harsh the penalties, there will be groups devoted to be as brutal and horrible to other players as possible, and the only thing that will slow them down are equally large groups of people working together. I'm a very independent player and don't want to feel compelled to join a guild/corp/gang just to play 'freely'... all that said, though, it might simply mean my play is restricted to my own server and the single-player campaign.
Black Lives Matter

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod wrote:The ships that were limited offerings - are they slated to come back at some point?
If there's something you want that isn't available, I know there used to be a sort of money laundering scheme you could do through an original backer to be able to get access to those options. If it still works, all you need to get whatever ship you want is access to an original backer you trust with your funnymoney.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

FWIW - I'm personally willing to setup and admin an OO PW server should the occasion arise and interest exist. I might even sponsor the cost of a hosted virtual server, depending on how resource intensive a PW stand-alone server would be. Worst case is I would upgrade my PC and use the older one as a physical host. FWIW - I don't know how PW will be implemented. I imagine that your account-based hangar and ships wouldn't exist on a PW private server.

Note: I haven't bought in to this game so far, its a bit overwhelming with all of the changing options. I'm absolutely sure I will buy and play it; I just don't really know if a pre-purchase buy in is at all worth it since they eliminated Lifetime insurance before it came on my radar as being a viable start-up. But damn am I excited to see it happen!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"