Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

Post by Smoove_B »

I was about to buy one as it apparently comes with lifetime insurance, but in looking at the specs, I will most likely need a new PC to run the game. Though...I should have a new PC by November of 2014, right? :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

I showed that video to my kids. "Why can't we have it NOW?" they said. I had to explain development times.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Great video! :wub:
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

The video: One could imagine living there; Star Citizens.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

Exceeded 13 million today for crowdfunding total - current goal is to get to 21 mil and be purely crowd funded i.e. no private investor money.

Tomorrow is the last day to get veteran backer status and LifeTimeInsurance(LTI) on pledge ships Grace Period Ending
"If you loved me, you'd all kill yourselves today."
-Spider Jerusalem
Holman

Post by Holman »

Since I'm in a hurry, would someone be so kind as to explain how buying this game actually works? What is all this about lifetime insurance and melting your unplayed ships and what happens when and whatnot?

How much does the game cost? Is it a "base + DLC" model or is it a subscription?

How is what they're doing like a Kickstarter-style crowd-funded project? If I buy in now, do I get a refund if it never appears?
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

Holman wrote:Since I'm in a hurry, would someone be so kind as to explain how buying this game actually works? What is all this about lifetime insurance and melting your unplayed ships and what happens when and whatnot?

How much does the game cost? Is it a "base + DLC" model or is it a subscription?

How is what they're doing like a Kickstarter-style crowd-funded project? If I buy in now, do I get a refund if it never appears?
I will try to answer to the best of my ability

The cheapest pledge amount is $35 - that will get you the game and a basic ship - its more like Guild Wars - no subscription just the up front game cost

The Kickstarter is already over - the original goal was to get 2 mil and that would be enough for investors to throw their money in for Chris to make the game - at the end of the kickstarter they were around 7 or 8 million I think - Since then they have raised an additional 5 million - so the game is very much a go and funded at this point and 'should' appear - the first bit - a hangar module should be released this year yet (August I think) - Anticipated Release Schedule

LTI is basically insurance on the hull you buy - if that ship done gets blowed up you get a replacement - insurance can be bought in game but as a backer you get it for lifetime of that hull for free. LTI FAQ

The melting thing was basically something the implemented with new website that allowed you to return old pledges for credit if you wanted to pledge for something else
Last edited by Grafvolluth on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Spider Jerusalem
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grafvolluth wrote: I will try to answer to the best of my ability
Thanks for the answers!
LTI is basically insurance on the hull you buy - if that ship done gets blowed up you get a replacement - insurance can be bought in game but as a backer you get it for lifetime of that hull for free.
This is what confuses me. Let's say I don't have insurance: if I lose a ship in the game, do I have to pay with real-world money(!) to get a new one (as in some sort of nightmare MMO scenario), or just in-game money? If the latter, does "lifetime insurance" not threaten to unbalance the game?

Sorry to be dim--I haven't yet done my background reading.
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

dupe post
Last edited by Grafvolluth on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Spider Jerusalem
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

Holman wrote:
Grafvolluth wrote: I will try to answer to the best of my ability
Thanks for the answers!
LTI is basically insurance on the hull you buy - if that ship done gets blowed up you get a replacement - insurance can be bought in game but as a backer you get it for lifetime of that hull for free.
This is what confuses me. Let's say I don't have insurance: if I lose a ship in the game, do I have to pay with real-world money(!) to get a new one (as in some sort of nightmare MMO scenario), or just in-game money? If the latter, does "lifetime insurance" not threaten to unbalance the game?

Sorry to be dim--I haven't yet done my background reading.
Okay so the game has 2 pieces - Squadron 42 which is single player and then the Persistent Universe (PU) which is multiplayer - if you chose to play Squadron 42 at the end of it you will be a 'Citizen' and from what I understand be able to rent or buy a ship (possibly with a loan) - the same holds true if you jump directly into the PU - this part is a bit fuzzy yet - you might be even given a beginner ship not really clear

If you were to lose that ship and you have no in game money the way I understand it is you can a)Do jobs for NPCs or PCs to get some more cash to buy another ship or b)use real world cash to buy in game credits (which will be capped) - You will be able to buy insurance in game as well for in game credits and it is suppose to be 'cheap'

LTI is just a nice bonus at this point and basically a way to entice people to pledge(or preorder or however you want to look at it) now instead of waiting for release

As far as it unbalancing the game - There has been plenty of discussion around this on the forums - things like Komikazing and such (which I guess is being addressed by limited monthly production of each ship and possibly longer turn around on each successive claim) - I am not sure what things in particular you are concerned about but I think the expectation is that everyone will probably run with insurance (its a money sink) the LTI FAQ I linked in the previous post is probably a good place to start to understand it

The game is still in reality probably 2 years out so plenty of details are yet to be totally worked out - here is a good intro video from chris
-Spider Jerusalem
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

$14 million and counting... scary... please don't end up like broken age.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

People can't stop throwing money at this thing -- 19 million in funding reached, goals for 20 and 21 million revealed FPS combat on planet surfaces ($20 million) and a Salvage Mechanic career path ($21 million).

What's interesting is that if you read through the Chairman link, they actually need $23 million to reach their original funding goal of $20 million -- because of the various transaction / website maintenance fees.

I have to believe somewhere, a group of suits are wondering why they didn't believe there was a market for a space-themed MMO.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote:I have to believe somewhere, a group of suits are wondering why they didn't believe there was a market for a space-themed MMO.
Expect a flurry of spacecraft hangar sims in the next few years from suits who didn't quite comprehend what was happening with Star Citizen.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Done right, I'd take a Sim Crew Chief.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I expected people to post about the alpha hangar module (note that I haven't pledge anything yet).
Isgrimnur wrote:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Vorret wrote:I expected people to post about the alpha hangar module (note that I haven't pledge anything yet).
We did. It's a hangar. What do you want?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, there wasn't much you could do - walk up to your ship and get in and walk about. The fact that you could walk about inside your ship was nice to see for once.

Edit: I can't believe they had a pirate ship on sale and I think they want $250 for it. On sale. Man, they must be raking in the cash if people are buying those.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

coopasonic wrote:
Vorret wrote:I expected people to post about the alpha hangar module (note that I haven't pledge anything yet).
Video! Is it under NDA?
Isgrimnur wrote:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Vorret wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Video! Is it under NDA?
There's a ton of video out there, and it looks fantastic. I thought we'd all be making fun of the hangar module when it released--like it was useless Space Horse Armor--but man, it's the first thing I've seen that makes me really jealous of the early-access people.

The ships exteriors look amazing, as you'd probably already expect from ship model shots they've released, but what really blew me away was the level of detail and animation they've put into the ship interiors. I love all the little gizmos and whatsits that are involved with the cockpits, and I love how different the cockpit designs are for the different ships. Sometimes you squeeze into an awkward cabin, sometimes you sit in a backwards chair that rotates into place, and sometimes you actually have some breathing room to walk around.

The hangar videos made it clear to me what makes a modern Chris Roberts space sim an exciting event, compared to just a new big no-name space sim. All this absurd detail they're putting into the cockpits, control panels, and ship interiors? This is the modern extension of the detailed Wing Commander cockpits and the flavor animations of boarding & exiting your ship pre/post mission.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'd rather have Freespace 3 but Ill take this.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Checked a couple of video... I LOVE the scale, the ships actually feel big. They're also beautiful. Can't wait for some gameplay footage.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If they can pull this off it will be super mega awesome. But you know..honestly I'd be happy with a new single player Privateer. I'd love to have a game just like the first one just updated.

Am I the only one that sees $26 million and thinks they are screwed? Thats just insane and cannot turn out well. I hope it does but I really have low expectations for this release.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Daehawk wrote:Am I the only one that sees $26 million...
$27 Million
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Geez, I think 27 million is a failure before it even started.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:Am I the only one that sees $26 million and thinks they are screwed? Thats just insane and cannot turn out well. I hope it does but I really have low expectations for this release.
An absurdly large budget for a crowdsourced title can be cause for alarm, as we've certainly seen kickstarters where the developers shoot way too high and then don't realize until the end that they've squandered all their money instead of playing things safer.

In this case, though, Chris Roberts already had a giant budget in mind, it's just that he originally planned to have some sources of private funding to supplement the crowdsourced funds. Now he's just eliminating the other sources of funding instead of just gleefully diving into a Scrooge McDuck vault and wondering what to do with it all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

im sure they have tons of people on it but I see in my head no higher up stepping back and seeing 27 mil and thinking uh oh.

But I hope it makes it..I look forward to it a lot. but how much better can a game be in current tech even if you threw a billion at it?
Brian

Post by Brian »

They just hit $28 million.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The FMV cut-scenes will be *awesome*.
Brian

Post by Brian »

They've passed $29M and are well on their way to $30 million which they will likely hit and surpass this weekend.

Each donor has submitted an average of just over $95 per person. (I know I have.)

Brian

Post by Brian »

Here are all the funding goals met so far.

I'm looking forward to the $30M goal myself.
Origin 890 JUMP – The rumors are true: Origin Jumpworks has a larger ship in the works! The Origin 890 JUMP is an interstellar super-yacht with exquisite styling and an array of high quality upgrade options. Travel the stars in style with multiple decks, high visibility windows and a small boat bay. Whether you’re outfitting it to explore new worlds or to take a pleasure cruise through Terra, the 890 JUMP is the epitome of luxury, class and refinement!
It will be interesting to see what that will look like.

They are also planning variants to the Freelancer which is one of the ships I own and am planning to use as my primary.
Brian

Post by Brian »

And they just keep rolling. $30 Million Hit
Brian

Post by Brian »

So I've been watching the live update for the last few minutes and happened to catch it as it rolled over.

$31 Million raised so far.

This thing is a Juggernaut.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

It seems they making even more money now then before.

between 250-650 k daily?! that's insane.

I have no idea how the hiring is going, but they must be hiring like crazy right now.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The huge numbers the past week have been primarily due to the anniversary sale they have been running.

I expect things will slow down again since today was the last day of the sale.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:I expect things will slow down again since today was the last day of the sale.
I was wrong. They just passed $32 Million.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, looks like Saitek has stopped producing the X65F, so I'm left waiting for the reveal of the X55 or picking up an X52 Pro. Per posts, the X55 was already supposed to be revealed last week and taking orders for Christmas delivery. Depending on the X55 spcs and price point, it might save me a bit from the $400 recommended price on X65F.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Isgrimnur wrote:Well, looks like Saitek has stopped producing the X65F, so I'm left waiting for the reveal of the X55 or picking up an X52 Pro. Per posts, the X55 was already supposed to be revealed last week and taking orders for Christmas delivery. Depending on the X55 spcs and price point, it might save me a bit from the $400 recommended price on X65F.
That is likely the route I am going to take.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't donated. Dont really see a reason other than getting the game a little cheaper or something.

Are his donations like a kick starter where if it doesn't get made you get a refund? Or does he just take it and run?
Brian

Post by Brian »

And they rolled right on past $33 Million last night.

The anniversary sale was still going on last night with rare (and expensive) ships being offered, including the Idris-P Corvette which was made available in small batches several times throughout the day each one selling for $1250 so that really spiked the numbers.
Daehawk wrote:Haven't donated. Dont really see a reason other than getting the game a little cheaper or something.

Are his donations like a kick starter where if it doesn't get made you get a refund? Or does he just take it and run?
First, at more than $33 million and constantly rising, there isn't any question about this getting made.

Second, you're not just donating, you are buying a ship that you will use in the Persistent Universe. There are many ships to choose from ranging from one man fighters and small exploration/cargo ships all the way up to 10 man crewed vessels like the Idris Corvette with many other choices in between.

Once you have made your initial pledge you can also buy additional ships to fit whatever roles you would also like to pursue in the game.

Currently I own a Freelancer and an Origin 325A. The Freelancer will be my primary ship and will be used for freighter (smuggling?) duty and possibly some light exploration/salvage operations. The 325A I am planning to use when playing with others (Any OOers interested in forming a group?) as an escort or other protective service.

Many ships have a base model and optional variants (The 325A mentioned above being a variant of the base 300i). The Freelancer is due to get some variant packages in the near future.

The big sale this weekend introduced limited editions of not normally available ships and also made some Lifetime Insurance packages available which I, sadly, could not afford at the time.

The first purchase/pledge you make gets you the game plus a ship plus additional items like starting credits, limited insurance, etc. My Freelancer was purchased as a pledge package and netted me the following:

MISC Freelancer
Business Hangar
Starting Money: 5,000 UEC
6 Month Insurance
Digital Game Soundtrack
Digital Star Map
Digital Star Citizen Manual
Digital Engineering Manual
Squadron 42 Digital Download
Star Citizen Digital Download
Beta Access
Alpha Access

The 325A was purchased as a single ship with no additional add-ons.

Also, when you purchase a ship package you will also be able to download the Hangar module which will let you walk around and inside your ship so that you can get acquainted with it prior to playing. There are many hangar videos on YouTube that showcase ships in the hangars. Like the Freelancer, 325A, and the Constellation among others.

Next month they will be releasing the Dogfighter Module which will let you actually fly your ships and try out a bit of combat.

So, yeah, they aren't just going to take your money and run.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It looks like basically Eve Online with IAP. Not sure what I think, but I'll definitely give it a try.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon