Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by Blackhawk »

Hastily rethinks build.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, they've fixed the mirror bug (I didn't notice it in the patch notes, but I might have missed it).

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

If you haven't seen it - I got a good laugh out of this.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, your saved games in PC are at the location C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I know it sucks for others, but I sat down to play for an hour last night and it ended up being a 9 hour marathon / go to bed at 5 am kind of night. The game and story are just so enthralling that I completely lose track of time. And I don't think I've ever seen such an adult, gritty story line.
malchior

Post by malchior »

gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:49 pm I know it sucks for others, but I sat down to play for an hour last night and it ended up being a 9 hour marathon / go to bed at 5 am kind of night. The game and story are just so enthralling that I completely lose track of time. And I don't think I've ever seen such an adult, gritty story line.
That's the dichotomy. This was probably the best game I've played this year - with some hiccups - but I had a rig that probably matched up closer to what the devs had to work with. For other people, you've got the video above. It's probably one of the strangest, oddest releases we've seen in a "AAA" title.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Since I haven't even completed BL2 yet I can wait for them to patch this a bit.....assuming they survive to patch it.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:31 pm Well, they've fixed the mirror bug (I didn't notice it in the patch notes, but I might have missed it).

Enlarge Image
Oh thank god (not that it matters much; it was just stupidly irritating). Also: hey, I have that headband! (And when I first equipped it, which was after the 1.05 patch, I thought they'd fucked up hair in a different way, since that ponytail is a headband-specific look; fortunately, my hair went back to its usual style after I took off the headband).
gbasden wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:49 pm I know it sucks for others, but I sat down to play for an hour last night and it ended up being a 9 hour marathon / go to bed at 5 am kind of night. The game and story are just so enthralling that I completely lose track of time. And I don't think I've ever seen such an adult, gritty story line.
This. I am really, really, enjoying the game. I haven't ruled out starting over immediately after completing the game yet to explore the other narrative branches. My PC isn't uber-powerful but a Ryzen 3600X, RTX 2070, and 16 GB of RAM is nothing to sneeze at and I find the game world gorgeous and the narrative superb.

Sure, it's clearly not optimized (I had to turn off my RTX's ray tracing to get decent frame rates, although that was really a choice, as I could have kept the ray tracing and played at less than 4K) The game doesn't crash and I haven't been blocked from progressing. The weird graphical glitches here and there are sloppy but they don't ruin the experience. I don't really want to defend CD Projekt at this point - the newly discovered save-corruption bug is simply unacceptable, of course - but under the right conditions, it's a very enjoyable game.
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:17 pm I'd prefer it was a different developer to serve as the cautionary tale, but hopefully the industry will learn from this.
Hopefully. And, of course, 8 million people need to learn to stop pre-ordering games, of course, which is what will really solve this problem. When developers can't make a red cent until they show a finished, polished product, the incentive to released unfinished, buggy messes will disappear. And by "show" I mean in an uncontrolled, public setting, not in a stage-managed, timed or level-limited "preview" event.

Between this and Star Citizen, though, there's clearly still a lot of learning to go around.

- Ash
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm sort of glad I haven't been crafting much, I suppose. I keep waiting for something worthwhile to craft. Problem is, I'm not behind on gear in any category, and I'm constantly picking things up that are slightly better than whatever I have. If I ever -once- felt like I was behind, I'd be on it.

I came across my first dialog option that required Tech 16. I wish I felt like all that investment to get that skill up there had an impact on the dialog, though. Instead the guy I was talking to just expositioned a little more and things moved on. I'm still not minding my heavy early investment into Tech. I haven't run into a single console, car, or lock I couldn't break into. It seems like there's a lot of money laying around behind basic security measures. It just hasn't been overly useful for crafting. I dumped a lot of Perk points into Crafting options and I'm just not using them.

One tech-specific bug I have annoys me, though. I dropped three Perk points into being able to have a 75% chance to loot additional materials and mods from Robots/Drones. That's all well and good and the bonus stuff shows up - but I can't loot BOTH items off the dead machine. The second I pick up one, I'm kicked out of the loot interface and the drone shows as having loot on it still, but I can never see it.

The same thing has happened with a couple enemies that died awkwardly under objects. Something about that breaks the ability to loot them. One was under a car, and despite moving the car, the corpse was not interactive. Same for a guy who died in a pile of boxes, and another that died with his head under a table. Amusingly, too, all three kept yelling at me - even after being dismembered. Speaking of looting bugs, I've had a few "flying" enemies (drones) that never fall to the ground after dying, making them impossible to loot. In itself this isn't a big deal, but one of them had a Legendary (orange) loot icon. I'll never know what it had. Probably crafting Legendary materials, which are still very rare.

I looted a Legendary Monowire from some random thug. I've tried using it a number of times but find myself underwhelmed by it. It seems able to hit groups of enemies, but I'm rarely engaged with more than one or two people in front of me. It looks mighty cool. It's just not as much fun as charged up Gorilla Arms are to charge into a fight with. I seem to charge into fights a lot. I Snipe until I run out of exposed heads, then I charge in with my Gorilla Arms or Sledge Hammer to settle the tab.
Asharak wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:31 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:17 pm I'd prefer it was a different developer to serve as the cautionary tale, but hopefully the industry will learn from this.
Hopefully. And, of course, 8 million people need to learn to stop pre-ordering games, of course, which is what will really solve this problem. When developers can't make a red cent until they show a finished, polished product, the incentive to released unfinished, buggy messes will disappear. And by "show" I mean in an uncontrolled, public setting, not in a stage-managed, timed or level-limited "preview" event.
Every failed launch after a massive public investment in pre-order constantly brings calls for "Stop buying early and they'll stop shipping garbage on Day 1!" ... and people keep doing it anyway. I did. I have. I likely will again. I consider each Early Access or Pre-Order a calculated risk. In a way it can be fun to be invested in that uncertainty. It's like buying a lottery ticket. I do that rarely as well, and when I do it's not so much with the desire to win as much as it is with the intent to be able to dream big for a couple days. For that pleasure, $2 to $10 seems a low cost of admission.
Asharak wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:31 pm Between this and Star Citizen, though, there's clearly still a lot of learning to go around.
It's been going on for ages, though. I remember my first big pre-order disappointment. SPORE. The game simply was not what was promised. It was fun, but not the fun they sold us. I felt let down. I still have the hard plastic Special Edition box sitting on my shelf to prove it. Pre-order debacles have only been getting worse with time. I don't know if people - as a whole - are capable of learning.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I preorder maybe one game every year or two, and only from established developers who have had games I love. The last two were this one and Fallout 76.

Maybe I should reconsider.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:55 am I'm sort of glad I haven't been crafting much, I suppose. I keep waiting for something worthwhile to craft. Problem is, I'm not behind on gear in any category, and I'm constantly picking things up that are slightly better than whatever I have. If I ever -once- felt like I was behind, I'd be on it.

I came across my first dialog option that required Tech 16. I wish I felt like all that investment to get that skill up there had an impact on the dialog, though. Instead the guy I was talking to just expositioned a little more and things moved on. I'm still not minding my heavy early investment into Tech. I haven't run into a single console, car, or lock I couldn't break into. It seems like there's a lot of money laying around behind basic security measures. It just hasn't been overly useful for crafting. I dumped a lot of Perk points into Crafting options and I'm just not using them.
I like that there are different options for folks that decided to invest in other stats. I invested in Intelligence, getting it up to 11. There was one mission in a hotel that seemed to have locked doors all over that required a tech of 11 to get open, even on the balconies. Luckily one balcony had a window looking into the room where I could unleash a burn quickhack on the gang member inside. That got the rest of the gang bursting out of their rooms - including the one I needed to get into. A few quickhacks and a quick firefight later and I was inside.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been upgrading my abilities evenly, right now they are all nine. I'm thinking that perhaps this wasn't a good approach from what I read here, but too late now :roll:. I do like that the game missions often have two or three different ways to get through a certain point, like Deus Ex. I finally found a use for my double-jump implant :D.

In playing several hours yesterday I did have to go to online walkthroughs for a couple of points in missions where I was just lost or was unable to proceed. One was taking place in an almost entirely dark room and was needing more trial and error to find something that I wanted to do. The other was a brain fade on my part, I kept forgetting what to do when I was told to scan an area :roll:.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 amI've been upgrading my abilities evenly, right now they are all nine. I'm thinking that perhaps this wasn't a good approach from what I read here, but too late now :roll:.
I don't think, ultimately, the statistics play much part in progressing in the game and really just dictate the pathways you open to achieve the same goals.

I regretted dumping everything into Tech for my first 10 levels when I started finding guns and implants that needed higher Body/Int than I had.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 amOne was taking place in an almost entirely dark room and was needing more trial and error to find something that I wanted to do.
Were you told to "Follow the Lights" ...? I had that mission last night and just wandered in circles. The first "lights" I followed brought me outside. When that wasn't it, I just started exploring every corner of the darkness until I found a new path.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I have no regrets about pre-ordering this. It has been stable for me, with no crashes (I have a fairly high-end PC, or at least it was when I bought it last year)and I'm having a lot of fun playing. For the most part, the characters and stories are as engaging as I expected after playing Wild Hunt.

I sympathize with people that are having technical issues, but the most serious bug I've encountered was one where a gun fired continuously as soon as I pulled it out. Other than than, I've only seen a few visual glitches as far as I can recall.
Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 am exploring every corner of the darkness
The lack of flashlights or optical implants with some sort of night vision does puzzle me, although it's entirely possible that I've been overlooking something.
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:47 am I do like that the game missions often have two or three different ways to get through a certain point
On one gig, I was stymied by a locked door that required higher body than I had. After I spent a few minutes trying to find an alternate way into the building, the NPC I was with yelled at me "Just break the window and climb in!" So I did.
Last edited by Max Peck on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The funny thing is that for the last few months, people were up in arms that they would delay a highly anticipated game, and threatening to boycott if they delayed again. Now those very same people are up in arms because they dared to release it in such an unfinished condition. It seems like one of their biggest mistakes was announcing this sucker so early (pre-Witcher 3), then giving a deadline at all before they could be confident it would be ready.

This is why some companies (Bethesda has been doing this) don't announce until the last minute, and other companies (Blizzard) go with a "when it's done" timeline.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:28 amother companies (Blizzard) go with a "when it's done" timeline.
Back in 1976, when they first released the amazing slow-mo video introducing the game - the very last moment of it was "Coming: When it's ready" ... I think folks assumed they were really doing that. The delays were tolerable, but annoying - because it would be ready.

Max Peck wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 am exploring every corner of the darkness
The lack of flashlights or optical implants with some sort of night vision does puzzle me, although it's entirely possible that I've been overlooking something.
I kept turning my scanner on and off, hoping to pick up any detail in the room. The scanner doesn't scan things it can't see or it doesn't relay to the user if there are things it can see, but aren't interaction items. In my mind, my character was banging his scanner against his hand repeatedly and swearing at it.

The lack of low-light vision is baffling, too. I've got MkIII optical implants. I can see the explosion radius of my grenades and see outlines of people who have detected me even if I didn't know they were there. I cannot, however, see the pile of cardboard boxes in front of me, or the light switch at the end of the hall. :roll:
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Montag

Post by Montag »

Had first crash to desktop at 30+ hrs of play. Been pretty stable. Be wary of how much you hoard. Save game can get corrupted if you get too much stuff. Check the internets for details. PC Master Race byotch!
Last edited by Montag on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
words
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

This game skates a weird line for me. I'll admit I was expecting something more along the lines of Elex, at least faction wise. So there would be a corpo faction, Nomad faction, anarchist, crime lord, police, military, etc. You would do jobs for them and climb the ranks. 3-4 would be major that you would eventually join locking you out of the other main ones. It is definitely not that. Then I see some of the complaints and I generally agree with them all. Driving AI non-existent. Choices don't really mater that much (A: yes, B: Yes but mad, C: No, but really yes). Bugs. Hats: don't change my hair god damn it! Crime system and police response are a joke. Etc. all that is true.

But, if I just sit down, forget expectations and outside ideas, and play the game; it's damn fun. I have had some crashing issues (better now than at launch), but the game runs fine for me on my PC when it is running.

All that said I think I am going to shelve it for several months and let some more patches come out.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

xenocide wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:05 pmAll that said I think I am going to shelve it for several months and let some more patches come out.
If you have the tolerance for that, I salute you. I've gotten my little meat hooks into it and don't want to put it down, even if it's thrashing and threatening to bite me.

I do believe that all of the big issues are fixable. All the AI can be tweaked - vehicles, pedestrian, drone, combat. That covers like 50% of the gameplay complaints. The rest seem to be buggy movement, looting, and graphics. Actually having the police arrive in cars instead of spawning next to you, a little bigger but entirely possible. The mechanics are there. Just spawn them outside visual range, in cars, and have them drive in - then get out and fight.

Fixing the wanted system might be harder. It's too easy to lock the door or climb somewhere they can't get to you and then they vanish in moments. Implementing something like GTA, where they search in a pattern where you were last seen for a while, would be really nice.

Factions would be a more substantial rework, as well as changing the storyline so decisions had varying impacts. I don't hope for those unless they come as a big DLC package later.
Black Lives Matter

xenocide

Post by xenocide »

Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 pmIf you have the tolerance for that, I salute you. I've gotten my little meat hooks into it and don't want to put it down, even if it's thrashing and threatening to bite me.
This was my plan as well but my last play session I crashed to desktop like 4 times in 10 mins of play. So, too late now; it's uninstalled and I just downloaded Red Dead Red. II so that should take me a while.
Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 pmI do believe that all of the big issues are fixable. All the AI can be tweaked - vehicles, pedestrian, drone, combat. That covers like 50% of the gameplay complaints. The rest seem to be buggy movement, looting, and graphics. Actually having the police arrive in cars instead of spawning next to you, a little bigger but entirely possible. The mechanics are there. Just spawn them outside visual range, in cars, and have them drive in - then get out and fight.

Fixing the wanted system might be harder. It's too easy to lock the door or climb somewhere they can't get to you and then they vanish in moments. Implementing something like GTA, where they search in a pattern where you were last seen for a while, would be really nice.
I agree with all this.
Paingod wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 pmFactions would be a more substantial rework, as well as changing the storyline so decisions had varying impacts. I don't hope for those unless they come as a big DLC package later.
Factions are never happening IMO, that would take a major rewrite of the entire story. It's ok they are not happening, that was more of just a personal expectation of mine. Now I think of it more of an action/adventure with RPG elements and that is ok.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 am I preorder maybe one game every year or two, and only from established developers who have had games I love. The last two were this one and Fallout 76.

Maybe I should reconsider.
I never pre-order any more. My backlog is so huge I'm happy to ride cheap titles. The odd exception being multiplayer games that friends rope me into, but even then it's just after release at the earliest. They can beta it for me.

And increasingly pre-orders, especially digital ones, just incentivise bad behavior.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've found this cat! I discussed it in the last page or two.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

xenocide wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:23 pm
This was my plan as well but my last play session I crashed to desktop like 4 times in 10 mins of play. So, too late now; it's uninstalled and I just downloaded Red Dead Red. II so that should take me a while.
RDR2 is so good...and VERY long. I think I put 60 or 70 hours in before I even finished the main story. And I still have a crap ton of side stuff I wanna do. :)
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A good article from PCGamesN, The best thing about Cyberpunk 2077? Its alleyways and bars

Excerpt:
It isn’t difficult to find something to do in Night City, provided you make the effort to ditch your car every now and again. Just pick any direction and walk for a couple of minutes. Night City is a sensory overload, dripping with atmosphere and detail. Something as simple as a faulty AC unit throwing off a shower of sparks can set the mood perfectly – down on the city streets everything is jury-rigged or barely working. These touches are everywhere, but they’re packed into alleyways and bars.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:33 pm
RDR2 is so good...and VERY long. I think I put 60 or 70 hours in before I even finished the main story. And I still have a crap ton of side stuff I wanna do. :)
RDR2's narrative is one of the best they've ever done. It blows GTAV out of the water.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:33 pm
RDR2's narrative is one of the best they've ever done. It blows GTAV out of the water.
My problem with RDR2 is that sometimes I felt like I was doing a lot of cross-country riding compared to the time spent actually doing something.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe that was intentional. They purposely made fast travel inconvenient in order to create a more immersive experience. Riding across long stretches of painstakingly crafted environments on a horse you slowly bond with to unlock more skills almost demands it. I grew to appreciate it; and after finishing it, view it as a strength of the game.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm I believe that was intentional. They purposely made fast travel inconvenient in order to create a more immersive experience. Riding across long stretches of painstakingly crafted environments on a horse you slowly bond with to unlock more skills almost demands it. I grew to appreciate it; and after finishing it, view it as a strength of the game.
I've ridden long distances on a horse and never bonded with it. Horses fart a lot :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I grew up on a horse farm and did. But I agree they are gassy.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:21 pm I believe that was intentional. They purposely made fast travel inconvenient in order to create a more immersive experience. Riding across long stretches of painstakingly crafted environments on a horse you slowly bond with to unlock more skills almost demands it. I grew to appreciate it; and after finishing it, view it as a strength of the game.

Yep, this isn't a game you want to rush through. It's a game that demands attention. I found it to be one of the most immersive games they've made. I didn't mind the long rides, as it made me appreciate all the details they put into the landscape. It's a game environment that feels real and lived-in.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will say that what happens to your character about two thirds in both surprised and dismayed me.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Made a test Corpo character. It loaded me in to where they are looking in the mirror. It crashed. The character was all gone. So made another one. It crashed as it loaded the character in. I deleted the game again. Ill give it a few months. Looks fun but my PC specs are so old its causing too much trouble to even run it. Annoying me too as I want to play. Maybe it will be playable by 2077.

I should be able to upgrade my pc in 2024 or 2025.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Again, you're not running a fully upgraded/updated version of Win7, correct? They specifically named the build of Win7 and Win10 you need to be running to play the game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 pm Again, you're not running a fully upgraded/updated version of Win7, correct? They specifically named the build of Win7 and Win10 you need to be running to play the game.
Right. Some stuff warns me Im missing something then plays fine. But this gave no warning and wont play right. Ive gotten one guy into town and did a few things up to the bot mission. But not now days. Ill try again in a week or two.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're going to start finding more and more games that won't run on an out-of-date operating system.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant afford Win 10. And my system is sol old its not worth trying to save to do it. Cant afford new games anyways. This was a giveaway I won on here. In 2024 or so ..more likely 2025...I plan to upgrade it all together. I think the bigger culprit right now is the video card. At least by the time I can upgrade something other than Win10 will be out.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You don't need Win10 to play this (amazingly). But you do need to update/patch Win7 to whatever build they say is required.

But yeah, in general Blackhawk is right. Your time with new games might be coming to an end until you upgrade. But there's no reason not to get Win7 to whatever is required. Video card likely isn't helping, but it does work for Cyberpunk 2077; I don't think that's the culprit here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I stopped updating Win 7 because of all the people saying the newer updates started adding nags to it to upgrade to win10 constantly. I dont need that all the time. Is that all gone now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm pretty sure they did yeah. Maybe someone else can get you better info but Microsoft is still trying to get people to consider Win10 by giving out free upgrades. I know everyone is going to say "do a fresh install" but if your only option is to run an 5+ year old O/S without security updates and patches -or- upgrade to a more current O/S, well you know how I would vote.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:53 pm I'm pretty sure they did yeah. Maybe someone else can get you better info but Microsoft is still trying to get people to consider Win10 by giving out free upgrades. I know everyone is going to say "do a fresh install" but if your only option is to run an 5+ year old O/S without security updates and patches -or- upgrade to a more current O/S, well you know how I would vote.
+1. You're having daily sex in a $2 brothel without a condom. Sooner or later, that'll come back to bite you. You're also doing the equivalent of running Windows 98 in 2009 and trying to run then-modern games on it.