Metro 2033

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Metro 2033

Post by Daehawk »

Ugh I think I need a tweak guide for DX11 in this game. I played it in 2010 in DX9 I think it was on an older rig just fine. I just reinstalled it thinking it would look really cool on my high end system with DX11. But it not only looks pixelated it is also super floaty / choppy. Empty shell casings fly out of my gun at a slow pop...pop...poppop and then sorta float in the air and then tumble away. Its SLOW.

IS DX11 borked in this game? Are there tweaks or should I just for get it? I was hoping for a DX11 high graphics FPS to play. I really dont want to play Crysis or Crysis 2 again to get that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: Metro 2033

Post by Daehawk »

Turning off Advanced PhysX helped a bit but it's still not right.

Also those blurry textures....I'm wondering if they are supposed to be like that in DX11. I have around the edge of my gas mask as seen in the pic below. But I see it on walls too. It seems the walls that are bumped have bumpy blurry looks to them. Not sure Im impressed or annoying .....

Enlarge Image
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pretty sure that's to let you know you have your mask on and indicate it's condition. As the filter runs out, it gets foggier.

The bumpmapping on the walls, not sure.

I recently played it on a 2-year-old mid-level rig with DX11 running, everything looked great.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Pretty sure that's to let you know you have your mask on and indicate it's condition. As the filter runs out, it gets foggier.

The bumpmapping on the walls, not sure.

I recently played it on a 2-year-old mid-level rig with DX11 running, everything looked great.
I agree that it looks like "fogging" but it also looks like it's being improperly rendered. I don't remember it making things look blurry and bumping as much as ... foggy.

I'd start with shutting down any "Blur" and "Bloom" effects to see if that helps, and if not - start throttling back other settings. Not knowing exactly what the game has for options makes advising a little hard.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Pretty sure that's to let you know you have your mask on and indicate it's condition. As the filter runs out, it gets foggier.
That's my recollection as well. As the the condition worsens, visibility becomes almost nil.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In the very first mission called Chase is it not possible to save the guy that has been powering the rail cart? I've watched a hand full of videos about it and in all of them he is dragged off the rail cart. In my game I shot the monster that grabs him before he did grab him but it didn't kill him. But i only had 1 barrel loaded at the time and by the time I reloaded he was over the side and gone.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:In the very first mission called Chase is it not possible to save the guy that has been powering the rail cart? I've watched a hand full of videos about it and in all of them he is dragged off the rail cart. In my game I shot the monster that grabs him before he did grab him but it didn't kill him. But i only had 1 barrel loaded at the time and by the time I reloaded he was over the side and gone.
I tried over and over to keep him alive and there just seems to be no way.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hahahah this is a great Halloween game. i've forgotten so much of this game. I just now made my way through the haunted tunnel. What atmosphere that place gave off. Was perfect for Halloween.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe I should fire up some Doom3 without the duct tape mod?

Metro 2033 has a nice atmosphere for the season, but I can't say it ever really scared me. Doom3, alone and in a dark room ... I couldn't play for more than 3 hours at a time just because of the constant on-edge stress of when the next nasty was going to pop out at me.

Hm. Actually, instead of digging through my games collection and installing Doom3, maybe I'll just fire up Dead Island from my last save after the research facility and see if I can make some progress towards beating it.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fire up Dead Space or it's sequel. those are frickin scary.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Fire up Dead Space or it's sequel. those are frickin scary.
I actually don't own either of them. I'm not a huge FPS person, and the few I have satisfy the itch fairly well when it hits. I'm not sure exactly why I've avoided the Dead Space games, but it may have been because of how long they were and the cost of them at release. I haven't really gone back to look at them since.
Black Lives Matter

Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Paingod wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Fire up Dead Space or it's sequel. those are frickin scary.
I actually don't own either of them. I'm not a huge FPS person, and the few I have satisfy the itch fairly well when it hits. I'm not sure exactly why I've avoided the Dead Space games, but it may have been because of how long they were and the cost of them at release. I haven't really gone back to look at them since.
Highly recommend the first Dead space game. If you have a nice TV/sound setup, this game rocks. A favorite in the past few years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Amnesia or STALKER. Those are scary and on sale on steam right now.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, the first Dead Space is on Steam right now too for $5. Paingod, what's your Steam ID, I'll gift you a copy
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, the first Dead Space is on Steam right now too for $5. Paingod, what's your Steam ID, I'll gift you a copy
I appreciate the offer, but money isn't currently the thing stopping me from buying games. My gaming plate is pretty full between Civ V, XCOM, and MechWarrior Online - all of them want me to give them my undivided attention - but I'll put Dead Space on my shopping list and maybe snag it for Christmas if it's that good.
Torfish wrote:Highly recommend the first Dead space game. If you have a nice TV/sound setup, this game rocks. A favorite in the past few years.
Just a 24" monitor and good headphones with a dark room.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Amnesia or STALKER. Those are scary and on sale on steam right now.
I picked up Fear because I've heard good things about it. Haven't tried it yet though.

Amnesia was really, really good but I had to work hard to keep myself in the proper headspace. A couple of things knocked me out of the moment and I haven't gone back to it, although I do plan on it. I plan on returning to all my games, but only manage it for a couple, so....yeah.

I have dead Space (it's a 3rd person shooter btw) and it was not terrible. A fair bit of tension, creepy bad things and danger. I tend not to be scared by monster closets any more (startled yes, scared, no), but games like Amnesia that work hard on atmosphere are worth trying, but immersion is important and that takes effort from the player as well as the game.

Undying had a few genuinely creepy/scary moments, but it's simply too old now.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, didn't say Dead Space was scary scary, just that it's pretty good game for Halloween and it might not be this cheap at Christmas. That's what backlogs are for - I don't have time for many other games right now either, but doesn't keep me from buying them when they're on for a good price.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

GreenGoo wrote:A couple of things knocked me out of the moment and I haven't gone back to it, although I do plan on it. I plan on returning to all my games, but only manage it for a couple, so....yeah.
Mama? :D

Dead Space definitely had some scary moments. But mostly it was just a shooter that took some getting used to (the movement drove me crazy for a while).

I played Amnesia for a while during a slow period when I didn't have much else going on. I basically did the first area. I also intend to go back some day. :wink:

I think that what makes Amnesia scary, and Dead Space occasionally scary, are the periods where you are left feeling utterly helpless. Where you know that you can't just go toe to toe with the baddies. It reminds me a little of the original Thief; where getting discovered would make your heart race as you tried to run away and find somewhere to hide. You knew that to do anything other than flee would result in death. Very few games are like that. Most of them instead invoke your fight response. To be really scared, you have to flee.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

two words....psychic monkeys.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote:two words....psychic monkeys.
The truly scary thing there is the implication that there might be someone here who hasn't played SS2. :shock:

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Daehawk wrote:two words....psychic monkeys.
The truly scary thing there is the implication that there might be someone here who hasn't played SS2. :shock:

:oops:

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

SS2 is still playable, mostly due to the RPG elements. As a shooter it is too dated and clunky, even with the texture mods (imo) but the character building aspects are strong enough, and the story is strong enough that it still has a lot to offer if you can get past the ancient visuals and clunky feeling movement and such.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I must say that arriving in polis station was amazing...until I discovered I don't get to explore it at all. What kinda crap is that? I get to the largest brightest station in the Metro and all I do is ride in..go through a door..and watch a cutscene that ends with me being dumped outside in the city again. GRRRR.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Well I must say that arriving in polis station was amazing...until I discovered I don't get to explore it at all. What kinda crap is that? I get to the largest brightest station in the Metro and all I do is ride in..go through a door..and watch a cutscene that ends with me being dumped outside in the city again. GRRRR.
I admit to frustration at that as well. I was very ready to wander that place - and more than slightly annoyed that I couldn't.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Well I must say that arriving in polis station was amazing...until I discovered I don't get to explore it at all. What kinda crap is that? I get to the largest brightest station in the Metro and all I do is ride in..go through a door..and watch a cutscene that ends with me being dumped outside in the city again. GRRRR.
I admit to frustration at that as well. I was very ready to wander that place - and more than slightly annoyed that I couldn't.
I was disappointed too but I took it as the sacrifice the character has to make. Because of the urgency of your mission, you don't get to enjoy that remaining bit of "home" left in the Metro, not even for a few minutes.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well that figures. I had decided to replay Dead Space the first one again. Of course it's the one I cant find. I own it. Im pretty sure I have it in the box. But of course i can't find it anywhere. I did find the second one. I also found Crysis 2. So i do have those. i may replay Crysis 2. But I just finished DS2 recently so I wont be playing it.

I can't find DS1 on any of my digital services either. I swear I remember having the box though. ARGH.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im installing Metro 2033 Redux. Ive finished the two original games 3 times each but not tried redux yet. Im hoping with it being redone and having a GTX 950 now that it both plays better and looks better. If not I will just delete it. Hope I can have some fun with it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh?

There are only two games. The "Redux" games are just versions with improved graphics. Not new games. You have Metro 2033 and the follow-up Metro Last Light.

Though it does look like there may be some new features/content. But it isn't a different game.
Product Overview
Metro 2033 Redux is the definitive version of the cult classic ‘Metro 2033’, rebuilt in the latest and greatest iteration of the 4A Engine for Next Gen. Fans of the original game will find the unique world of Metro transformed with incredible lighting, physics and dynamic weather effects. Newcomers will get the chance to experience one of the finest story-driven shooters of all time; an epic adventure combining gripping survival horror, exploration and tactical combat and stealth.

All the gameplay improvements and features from the acclaimed sequel ‘Metro: Last Light’ have been transferred to Metro 2033 Redux – superior AI, controls, animation, weapon handling and many more – to create a thrilling experience for newcomers and veterans alike. With two unique play-styles, and the legendary Ranger Mode included, Metro 2033 Redux offers hours of AAA gameplay for an incredible price.
Edit: I re-read your comment. Appears you know this. Not sure why my first interpretation was that you thought it was a new game. Nothing to see here...

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hehe ya knew it. But hoping it improves the looks. Not sure I really want to go back again but wanted to see if there is a nice graphical improvement anyways. the new Exodus comes out this year so really looking forward to that and returning to this universe.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've played Redux of both 2033 and Last Light on my current rig, which is 5-8 years out of date. it works fine, but some of the final fight is hellacious as you need the filter life AND watch out for your own life too. I pretty much enabled cheats to finish.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ending spoilers below.

Im not sure how Ill end it this go. Ive done the burn and the save both. I really hated that the second game takes the burn as canon. But I guess they had to do it that way. Still like to save them all.

Another spoiler for the 3rd game....

I hear they are using the good ending for Metro 2 where the little one comes and saves all your asses as the canon start for the third game.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Bear in mind that the games are based on books. The burn happened at the end of the first book. So that's how the second book starts out. So it's not so much that the second game is forcing you into having taken that option in the first game, it's because... well... that's how it is.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

UGH..Im near the end of Last Light Redux now and theres a gun I want that I cant afford even if I sell all my other guns and ammo. I have looked for a cheat code for money or a trainer to no avail. Im afraid Ill screw my game up right here at the end. I really want that gun lol.Oh well.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Double check the version number:

https://mrantifun.net/index.php?threads ... iner.1704/

These are CheatEngine cheats, albeit packaged as an EXE. They are safe. I know I used them.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ty
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got the bad ending this time even though iswear I did more good than ever. I didn't kill stuff like Pavel and the momma bear and stuff either.