Don't Starve

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Don't Starve

Post by Sepiche »

I had been eyeing this one on Steam, but my friend gifted it to me before I got around to buying it. Apparently it's buy 1 get 1 free and you can gift that second copy to who you want.

Played a few games so far, and it lives up to it's name! First game I starved to death on the second day, second game I was eaten by something in the darkness when I decided to see what happens when you walk away from your campfire at night, and the third game I starved to death on the third day. Progress!

The gameplay seems interesting so far. Basically once you wake up you can explore the map (which is random each game) and harvest various resources. Gathering twigs and flint will let you make an axe, pick, or a shovel and those lead to better materials: wood, stone, & gold among others. Once you make a pick and can mine a bit that also gives you the materials to make a science machine that you can put resources in and get research points in return that can be used to unlock new technology.

That's about as far as I've gotten in a single game so far. My main problem is coming up with a reliable source of enough food to get by. The first source of food you have are berries & carrots around the map, but I've found out the hard way these are better saved to be used as bait in the first traps you get. Those are best built next to rabbit holes and baited with berries or carrots to try to trap a bunny. Unfortunately I haven't perfected how to do that on a large enough scale yet to really feed myself.

There also seems to be some sort of level/reward system where the longer you survive in a game, more experience is added to your profile, and that can unlock new characters to play.

At any rate it seems like a clever, well thought out game so far and for the price it gets my thumbs up.

Random tips:
+ Shovels can be used to dig up and relocate grass stumps, berry bushes, etc to better locations
+ The pig people are friendly. They can be bribed with food to work for you and will also protect you from spiders if you build your camp near them
+ The single most important thing in the very beginning is getting some flint and a few logs in order to build a fire the first night.
+ Don't wander into the dark without light!
+ Certain terrain types seem to have different resources, sometimes drastically different.
+ Careful of swamps early on... they are home to tentacle creatures that don't like gentleman scientists.
Mr Bismarck

Re: Don't Starve

Post by Mr Bismarck »

If you can work out which hole the rabbit came from and come at it from the direction of that hole, then you can swat it with your axe for a tasty morsel. Even more tasty if you have a fire.

Alternately, if you find a herd of cows, you can make a farm plot or five going, then you can grow seeds into food. I got a pomegranate last night about four seconds before I was going to starve, thanks to a cow that wandered into the light of my fire place and crapped on my feet, giving me the last bit of fertiliser I needed for my farm plot.

My problem thus far has been not paying enough attention to the fire, or trying to time it so that it goes out exactly as the sun comes up, so that I don't waste fuel. Although, the pine cone - tree - pine cone loop provides plenty of fuel, so I shouldn't worry so much about it.

I like it when dinner delivers itself...

Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I found cooked monster meat to be a giant boost in food, so naturally I started hunting spiders in the evening hours. I had 3 cooked monster meats, 11 cow paddies and 1 seed. I think i just needed a few more items to start my farm plot and dig a fire pit. Well I ate the monster meat and instantly died. A poison meat? Allergy? The first meat went down fine.

-

* I wonder, is Don't Starve what Salem (the free MMO) is like?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Just a thought, but did your first monster meat come from not-a-spider? Because the game could code spider meat as poison based on the idea that spiders are venomous.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

It appears to be intended to some degree, but maybe also bugged? And yes, both my meals came from spiders.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

According to that thread raw monster meat does 5 damage to you, while cooked does 33. I suspect that's supposed to be 3 damage, but who knows for sure.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Got up to day 5 in a game last night, and still going. I think my flaw before was I didn't think to cook the rabbit meat before eating, so it wasn't giving me very much nutrition. After cooking them it only takes a few to fill you up, so now I'm looking good. The island I'm on now seems pretty good, although I haven't been able to locate any more stones to mine after the first few I found near my camp.

Definitely an intriguing game, although I think I'm close to the point where I'm going to hold off until it's closer to finished.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I stole a pig's house last night.

By which I don't mean I moved in like a squatter, I mean that he got up in the morning and went for a walk and when he came back his house was missing. He wandered over to me a little later crying and I was sitting on the steps of my shiny new house, eating a bacon sandwich.

Also, any game that measures your progress in beard length is fine with me.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm confused. How are you playing this now if it hasn't been released on steam yet? It looks like a nice little distraction that my daughter would get a kick out of.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

If you buy it on Steam you'll get two keys, (one you can gift), and early access. The game will download in your steam library.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh sweet. Think I'll grab it tonight then. Even my wife wanted to play it. Said it reminded her of a Tim Burton movie.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Octavious...I can gift you my extra copy. Don't think I have you in my Steam list. PM me the details and I'll send to you.

Edit: Saw you online in Steam so sent you a friend request
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cool thx! I'll check it when I get home.

godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

If anyone else has an extra copy, I'd love to check this out :).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

this looks really interesting.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Somehow I totally missed seeing this on STEAM. I'll keep an eye out for more impressions and look for a sale when it's released, but it sounds rather interesting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Octavious wrote:Cool thx! I'll check it when I get home.
Just a fyi, my wife is a teacher and it's parent/teacher interviews tonight so she'll be late getting home which means I will be watching our 18 month old son so I could be delayed in responding. If you pm me your email I think I can send it to you that way and there won't be any waiting for me.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

PM sent, no problem I think I can wait on getting free stuff. ;)

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I sent it via email so hopefully it'll be there waiting for you.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup I got the email.

Thanks!

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Cool
naednek

Post by naednek »

If anyone has a free copy and doesn't need it, I'd love to try it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Me too! I’ll even throw in a copy of The Ship, Portal and or Bioshock. :D
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I appear to have gained a permanent pet cow. Every night he wanders up to my camp to sleep.

Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

A week later and he's still hanging out with me... to the degree that I've named him Mr. Poopsmith and he's keeping my three plot farm going.

With the four berry bushes I have at the top and a plethora of rabbits to the south, I'm able to survive now, without too much issue. Provided I remember to replant trees. Every few days I go out exploring, looking for another Beefallo herd, so I can set up my farms over there, but I haven't found anything yet. The island to the north of me is mostly gold nuggets and spiders, which is a bit of a good news/bad news situation. I'm stocking pine cones, so I can go up there and burn those eight-legged mothers out.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Alright.. game definitely sounds strange enough to give it a try. And I certainly like survival games a lot better than generic FPSs... and I think it's on sale on Steam atm too... Let's see how this plays out.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Well, the good news is I didn't starve.

The bad news is a tree came to life, wandered through my cooking area setting itself on fire and then punched my face off.

I'm sorry Mr. Poopsmith!
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Why are you still living like a vagabond after 30 days? I expected to see walls and log armor and a home (with a roof) like a civilized creature would own.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I'm entirely too busy crafting an attractive range of hats and nowhere near busy enough advancing the useful side of the tech tree?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ill be trying this out later today thanks to MF. Looks so fun...and difficult.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Damn that forum effect ;_;

Just bought it and can't wait to try ^^
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Whoever wants a free copy, PM me.

ETA - gone.
Last edited by Suitably Ironic Moniker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
naednek

Post by naednek »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Whoever wants a free copy, PM me.
pm sent
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to all those sharing their extra copies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was doing good. Had survived 2 days and 2 nights. i went searching for more food and items to build a better fire and maybe some dung to grow food when I saw something to attack. i attacked it and its was a nest of spiders. I thought ahh food and killed a couple but then just fell over from them. That was that.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Spiders are mean in mobs, but once you have a spear they can be farmed.

If you need to clean out the nest because it's too close to your home, then Prometheus has provided the means. Just don't stand and watch -
Spoiler:
it turns out spiders who are on fire get very angry.

Wheee.... lots of silk!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it better to make a camp area in one spot and venture out from there every morning in a direction and then return at night or is it better to just keep traveling?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote:Is it better to make a camp area in one spot and venture out from there every morning in a direction and then return at night or is it better to just keep traveling?
My only success, (I'm now on Day 22) came from venturing out and finding a herd of cows that was near a rabbit community.

Setting up bushes at one camp, and having a bunch of farms being fed by the manure seems to be critical. I'm still not totally comfy - and I have 6 farms and a huge heard of beefalo to keep the farms cranking... I've just now begun to "research".
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

It sure is slow going to always get your resources.

I planted a whole lot of trees near my camp. When I wanted to chop some, one suddenly came alive ^^
In panic I thought, KILL IT WITH FIRE. Which set all my other trees on fire -_-. That does give you charcoal when you chop them though ^^.

Took a long while before I could kill it too :(. Always setting it on fire and running away ^^.

So now I have a base with a load of trees on the right, on the left there are a lot of bushes.
I have 3 patches of land to grow those vegetables on and that science engine thing.

So now I'm always on runs to find special ingredients ;_;.
My own island is all grass, the one below me is more tundra with the cows (where I get the manure) and the top island has a lot of rocks to mine.

Then there's another island on the right that I briefly visited, but that almost killed me with tentacles spreading out A_A!

Loving this game ^^
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So if you pick and area clean does it regrow with stuff?