Don't Starve

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lyno

Re: Don't Starve

Post by Lyno »

Chrisoc13 wrote: I have no idea what parts would be spoilers for people and I tried to keep it spoiler free but just in case:
Spoiler:
Since starting yesterday I've played 4 or 5 games and managed to get to day 29 on my last one. But then winter came. I was holding out through winter. I had a bit of a rabbit farm going with a bunch of drying stations and a crock pot I was churning out food and staying alive just fine, in fact I was prospering. I had some rabbit earmuffs to keep me warm and I had a nice big camp with wooden walls, a bunch of berry bushes on one side, a tree farm on another side, saplings on a third side and grass on the 4th side. I was really moving along and doing well. Even winter wasn't much of a problem, I had to spend more time sitting around the fire to stay alive and my time to get things done during the day was short but I was still doing fine and even was contemplating stealing some penguin eggs. But then it happened.

I was cutting down trees from my tree farm for the much needed firewood through the winter and I had another tree wake up (my second one for this game, the first one I took to some pigs and spiders and let them take care of him) but this time I couldn't seem to get rid of him, so I lit him on fire a few times and spent two terrible nights away from my established camp with little campfires barely making it through the night without all my supplies. Finally on the third night the tree finished me off as I was trying to escape again. I had recently managed to activate an alter that allowed me to respawn but I had died away from my camp and therefore all of my warm clothes was away from camp. I tried to stay in camp to stay alive but without my warm clothes or firewood it wasn't going to happen so I ran from my camp towards where my stuff was. I almost made it there before I died from exposure. And that was the end of Wilson that time.
Spoiler:
Plant some pine cones next time. It'll turn the tree neutral. I kept dying to it over and over til I finally looked up the wiki on how to deal with it.
-Lyno!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Lyno wrote:
Spoiler:
Plant some pine cones next time. It'll turn the tree neutral. I kept dying to it over and over til I finally looked up the wiki on how to deal with it.
-Lyno!
Ah thank you much. I thought about trying it but didn't have any on me at the time.

On a new game now, day 23 and thinks are cruising for Wilson. I tried the strong man but he was so weak when he was out of food I couldn't get him to do anything so I went back to Wilson. I made wood floors etc and a nice home for Wilson now. Not sure if the walls and floors do anything for him but at least it looks like he has set himself up a nice home! I have everything going for me now I just need to hold out through the winter as it is approaching.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well... when the server crashed.. I was composing this long reply - and saved it.....

Butterknife wrote:If you don't mind me asking, Unagi, how do you deal with
Spoiler:
the hound attacks? I keep getting killed as more and more hounds attack. I've tried setting up an area with lots of traps, but if I am not near that area when I start to hear them coming ... well, I never last long.
Sure, it's not unlike your solution - but I'll go into (way too much) detail
Spoiler:
(I realize that much of this you may already understand, but I need to be complete...)

So, I start my game trying to find where I am going to set up my main base.
What I've found to be pretty important is to find a large grassland biome and set up on the side of that.
More specifically - I don't start my base building until I find a largish (>4 - hope for more like 6 or 7) herd of Beefalo in that Grassland Biome.

In the beginning I use the herd as my hound-bait. When you hear the barks, you don't want to be too far from this herd.
(If you don't already know about Beefalos and Hounds - this tip alone may be a big help... but you likely do)

Also, since Hell-Hounds cause fires, you don't really want your main base RIGHT THERE, but a little off the side of the area with the herd.

So, in the beginning, I'm using this herd of Beefalo to take the Agro from the hounds.

Soon you will start to get an inventory of hounds teeth.

And that's when the Teeth Traps come in. (as you know....)

If you have a PATH near your base, (I try and set up just off a main path too) what I have found to be good is to set up traps in an area down that path (give you a high speed exit of your camp) where you basically turn it into a Path of Tooth Traps (2 or 3 wide). You run around and get them to step on all the traps and they die without you needing to engage them at all. About 20 traps to start, but keep adding to this Trap Path, making it longer... Never 'right at' your camp... because of fires.

You need trees... which means Tree Guards.
Tree Guards can be killed fairly easily:
Frost Hound's blue gem and a spear turn into a frost staff... 4 hits on the Tree Guard and he is frozen and ready for you to spear him to death...

Really, I think the secret to my success is getting large Twig and Grass farms set up right around my base before the first winter.
This does a number of things:
1. I don't spend time running around collecting twigs and grass, I do it 'in mass' right at my base. (so I'm not caught off-guard by hounds often)
2. I have the ability to make and place a ton of rabbit traps (also, GREAT for placing all around spider nests and kiting spiders into them)
3. Ropes, need lots and lots of Ropes

(nearly 80 or so Grass plants moved, and about 50 twig plants) (I use rot mostly to re-grow the grass when needed, twigs are infinite)
I no longer use logs for fires (saving them for Teeth Traps), I only use twigs (1 twig = 1 wedge of time)

The Trap-Path is also very effective against Deerclops, I found... he needs something like 36 traps to hit him and he's dead.

So... to your point: "but if I am not near that area when I start to hear them coming ... well, I never last long."
Same thing can happen to me, but what I will tend to do is RUN like hell to my traps if I need to. (or that herd of beefalo)

So what I really sorta end up doing is hanging out around my base with some 'plans' in the works to do some adventure/exploring... I put together things for that plan... all the while waiting for the Hounds to show up. Eventually they do, and the next day I start out on my long-road-trip... secure in the knowledge that the hounds wont return for a few days at least.

At the point I am at... they come every few days and there can be like 15 of them... but they are never a problem any more as long as I:
1) continue to add traps to the path... mostly filling back in the ones that wear out.
2) Re-set the traps right away... sucks to run over there needing them, only to discover you blew off that chore.

However... I have now created 2 'satellite camps' in my world - and each of those has their own 'Patch-of-Traps', so that I can now be caught off-guard and recover in a few locations... not just near my main base.

Some other important parts:
Torches - put a few on the ground for emergencies near your base. If the Hounds Howl at the end of dusk - you need to Grab a Torch or 2, and high-tail it to the Trap Path, or the Beefalo Herd.

Lightning rods... I make sure there is one in and around my twig and grass farms (I believe their range is about a screen).
One lightning strike (or hell-hound attack) near my grass and twig farm would be crippling

Bird Cage - turns Monster Meat into Eggs. So... with a crock-pot/birdcage... you can turn (3 monster meat and 1 morsel) into "Bacon and Eggs" (a great food)

TONS of Drying Racks... I think I have 25 right now... Started with 4 or 5 right away.

What this has basically set up for me is the freedom to make certain days all about certain tasks...
1 day I will spend planting trees.
Another day I will go chopping them all down, but not collecting anything.
One day I may spend doing Honey related tasks...
Another is spent back home doing Grass and Twig farming.
Another is spent doing Rabbits most of the day (oh, that's another thing... I've started to make about 4 or 5 chests that I just store Live Rabbits in, so that I can collect meat/naughty-points at a pace that doesn't create a problem (Krampus)... and also I can go into Crazy Mode and kill those stored rabbits as Beardlings and collect Nightmare Fuel...)

And that reminds me of another thing... In the beginning, don't be afraid to store certain objects just on the ground and not in a chest... Mainly things like gems/rocks/teeth/hats/twigs/grass - none of it really needs a chest and none of it will vanish over time.

Pine cones... I don't really use em to re-plant Treeguards any more... I just let the tree guard roam until I'm ready to kill him. I also don't use em as fuel... I replant em just to renew the resource close to my base. (again, never Too close, you don't want Treeguards around the base at night)

Walking Stick... Get it. (find MacTusk, freeze him, and get his tusk)! It will help you run from the hounds very effectively, and lasts forever.
(My first '2nd Tooth-Trap Patch' was made near the MacTusk camp I found, with the idea I would lead him there... his hounds did - I had to run back to get him though, via my Frost Staff)

So, that's basically how I deal with hounds... I think the short answer is that I have such a self-contained and self-sustaining base, that I don't really ever need to be that far from it, unless I'm really ready to be... and right near my base (but not too close) is where my Tooth-Trap-Patch is.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm finally getting into this game, and coming in late. Steam sales bring me so many interesting things.

I'm going as "wiki-free" as I can and it's been a lot of fun (so I'm avoiding the spoilers here). The things I've looked up were "How to get the last two characters?" and "How do I catch the boomerang?" ... I killed myself with the boomerang the first time I made one. I had no interest in doing that again.

My record so far is 29 days.
Spoiler:
I have to admit to my first winter being a dismal failure involving desperately scoffing stale seeds I found laying around, snatching Tallbird Eggs and running for half a day to escape them, and finally trying to scare rabbits into my bait-less traps. In the end starvation got me by simple virtue of making me run out of options - I ended the game desperately trying to spear a Beefalo while freezing to death with zero on my hunger bar. Amusingly, I planted 40 berry bushes on the day winter started but they didn't have time to grow before I died. Those, coupled with a small stockpile of eggs and seeds, may have actually gotten me through to spring.

I only waited that long on the berry plants because it took me that long to actually find a source of manure. I was desperate to find it - and was scouring every inch of the map for it. When I did, it was quite a ways off and in a remote land connected to my well-traversed areas by just a small 2-3 wide 'land bridge' at the bottom of a peninsula - all too easy to miss.

I think my favorite character is the Automaton, by simple virtue of his love for lightning and indifference to stale foods. He also treats most foods equally, so berries are as good as meat are as good as carrots. My biggest hitch with him was playing in my berry patch during a rainstorm and being struck by lightning while standing next to a plant - which then turned my 20 plants into 20 piles of ash. I love that the lightning speeds him up and makes him emit light for 2 days. Taking 10-20 points of 'rain damage' is an easy thing to fix.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Loving this game so far.

Going to put this in spoiler in case you don't want to know, but I personally don't think of it as one, as IMO, I would have NEVER found this out via exploring in game alone:
Spoiler:
Wilson's beard acts as a winter hat, which has two big effects tied to it (see second spoiler for what those are
Spoiler:
1. restores sanity over time
2. prevents you from freezing during winter
I am staying out of caves for now, as it shows that they are still in beta. I made the mistake of going into one with all my worldly possessions in my backpack, and found myself surrounded by a nest of spiders. So I died on the spot, slinging all my stuff around at the base of the monster brood.

Of course I reincarnate at the cave entrance, but sans stuff since all my stuff is below! ooof. Big blow!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm not sure that First Point on your Second Spoiler is true.
Spoiler:
Shaving it off (in the spring!) restores sanity, but I don't believe it gives you a +sanity while it's sitting there
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote:I'm not sure that First Point on your Second Spoiler is true.
Spoiler:
Shaving it off (in the spring!) restores sanity, but I don't believe it gives you a +sanity while it's sitting there
Ooh, thanks. Did not know that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I am staying out of caves for now, as it shows that they are still in beta. I made the mistake of going into one with all my worldly possessions in my backpack, and found myself surrounded by a nest of spiders. So I died on the spot, slinging all my stuff around at the base of the monster brood.

Of course I reincarnate at the cave entrance, but sans stuff since all my stuff is below! ooof. Big blow!
Friendly Spiders?
Spoiler:
If you manage to kill a Spider Queen (a team of pig friends is a great way)... she will drop a hat.
While this hat is on... All spiders will follow you and be your friend.... just be sure they are all dead or 'gone' when the hat runs out of power.. cause they will turn on you. I should maybe also warn that other mobs will think you are a spider too
I'm actually staying out of the caves for now too... I'm tempted, but too creeped out.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Loving this game so far.

Going to put this in spoiler in case you don't want to know, but I personally don't think of it as one, as IMO, I would have NEVER found this out via exploring in game alone:
Spoiler:
Wilson's beard acts as a winter hat, which has two big effects tied to it (see second spoiler for what those are
You're right. That's not something I would have easily guessed at, or even not easily guessed at. That's a lot more beneficial than I originally thought, which was "Hey, that stuff burned real good" when I threw it into a fire.
Black Lives Matter

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, as much as I don't want to look stuff up, so much in the game is soooo random, illogical and/or doesn't give you any feedback about what it does, that at some point, you almost have to do it (to progress very far at least).

Reminds me a bit of Order of the Stick in that regard.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

I've owned this since February or March, but never really got into it. That finally changed. I think what mainly did it is the discovery that they added controller support (looks like last month, news to me yesterday.) My PC is really a console, hooked up to a big TV with a couch in front of it. I CAN play mouse and keyboard games on it, but I PREFER controller games. Turns out Don't Starve is, surprisingly, a nearly perfect controller game. I would've thought with so much item management it wouldn't work that well, but the control scheme they came up with really does work, and I like it that way much more than I did with a mouse (or touch pad on my laptop).

Anyway, my best game is still day 16 (and actually that one's still on-going, but I died in a lightning induced forest fire far from the touchstone I found, and was so distressed at the thought of that trek without my gear I just started over... and haven't lived that long in 3 games since. Heh.) and I haven't read all the spoilers in here, so I don't have much to add about the game itself, but if you're like me and are always looking for good controller games on PC, this one is darn good.
Twitter: joerumz
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It is a damn good game for what it is. It takes a long time to get the hang of the process of survival, but once you're established it seems like the real challenge is in not killing yourself foolishly as I tended to do.

My biggest non-spoiler is to say "Make sure you know all the controls" as finding out there was a Map that could lead me back to anywhere I had been was a huge game changer for me - as well as a giant facepalm.
Black Lives Matter

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I would love it if they would port this one to XBL.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Awesome game, wish I had bought it sooner.

My latest game I got to day 16. I was very happy. Wondered into a swamp to gather reeds. Deftly avoided death until I stopped to consider my options. Double penetration and death. I respawned exactly half way between my lost stuff and my base. Now I have no idea which way to go. I'm loving this :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Don't Starve Together

Now it's a team effort.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It’s actually considerably harder with multiple people. Playing with a friend we have not made it past day 14.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Apparently, since they didn't alter the seed values for the game, it's a good idea to increase the resource availability by a tick when generating the world, this is especially important with 3+ players.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I have been playing this quite a bit since Christmas (thanks, Kraken!). I'm disheartened at the early players who got to day 60. 60!!?? The best I've managed is day 30.
Winston is my longest-lived character, but I've also played Willow and Woody.

It looks like owners of this game will get "Don't Starve Together" for free when it goes out of early access. I'm looking forward to trying this with one or more friends.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm happy I'll be getting a free copy of don't starve together. I'm disappointed I have to wait for it to be released from beta before I get it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Based on people's advice that it's better to go into this game cold, I haven't read this thread.

Maybe too cold: I don't get it. I've started it four times, dying on the first night every time. Without giving too much away, can someone explain why I would want to keep doing that? I'm not understanding the love. Failing at the same thing over and over with no explanation is just too much like my typical workday.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I guess the question is why are you dying on the first night.

I haven't played in a long time but my first guess is you let it get dark and something came after you in the night and ate you.

My second guess is you starved.
Bad Demographic

Kraken wrote:Based on people's advice that it's better to go into this game cold, I haven't read this thread.

Maybe too cold: I don't get it. I've started it four times, dying on the first night every time. Without giving too much away, can someone explain why I would want to keep doing that? I'm not understanding the love. Failing at the same thing over and over with no explanation is just too much like my typical workday.
At the start of the game, I try to get twigs (from saplings), flint, grass, and any easy to get food (berries, carrots).
Make an axe from the twigs and flint. Use it to chop down trees. That way, at night you can build a campfire - keep it going while it's dark. That way you can survive the night.

edit to add: I die a lot. But I've managed to make it to day 34, so I'm pretty excited. I do look up what to do with various items I get - what I can make out of them - because I suspect that the time I spend looking through the science machine stuff is "real time" and, therefore, time I need to spend getting food and other resources.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Bad Demographic wrote:
Kraken wrote:Based on people's advice that it's better to go into this game cold, I haven't read this thread.

At the start of the game, I try to get twigs (from saplings), flint, grass, and any easy to get food (berries, carrots).
Make an axe from the twigs and flint. Use it to chop down trees. That way, at night you can build a campfire - keep it going while it's dark. That way you can survive the night.

edit to add: I die a lot. But I've managed to make it to day 34, so I'm pretty excited. I do look up what to do with various items I get - what I can make out of them - because I suspect that the time I spend looking through the science machine stuff is "real time" and, therefore, time I need to spend getting food and other resources.
Yes, that's true. There's a mod called Relaxed Crafting that pauses the game while the crafting menu is open. That's all it does, and it's the only mod I use.
Twitter: joerumz
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tiny ogre wrote:Yes, that's true. There's a mod called Relaxed Crafting that pauses the game while the crafting menu is open. That's all it does, and it's the only mod I use.
That's huge.

I haven't played in a very long time, but distinctly recall dying multiple times because I needed to do something on the run and couldn't - like trying to run from hounds and needing to craft a torch at the same time. Unpossible.
Black Lives Matter

Bad Demographic

tiny ogre wrote: Yes, that's true. There's a mod called Relaxed Crafting that pauses the game while the crafting menu is open. That's all it does, and it's the only mod I use.
Thank you! :wub:

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:I have been playing this quite a bit since Christmas (thanks, Kraken!). I'm disheartened at the early players who got to day 60. 60!!?? The best I've managed is day 30.
Winston is my longest-lived character, but I've also played Willow and Woody.

It looks like owners of this game will get "Don't Starve Together" for free when it goes out of early access. I'm looking forward to trying this with one or more friends.
I started playing at Christmas, as well. I've lived to Day 168, which still seems really short. Things that have helped me the most: find a beefalo camp and establish yourself near there. I use Wilson because he can survive the winter best due to his beard. Collect spiderwebs and beefalo hair to make a couple of winter hats to get through the winter. Get a Chester and a backpack as soon as possible so you can store bunnies. I try to have 3-4 chests of bunnies stored before winter. Find some mandrakes and keep them in a chest for emergencies. Find both touchstones ASAP. Since your basecamp should be near a beefalo ranging area, there will probably be bunnies. Don't waste berries and carrots on bunny traps; watch which holes they go into at dusk and put your traps over those. When they come out the next day, they'll be in your trap. I have 3-4 traps going at all times. If I do use bait, I'll put down two traps right next to each other but only bait one- the bunnies will still usually go into both. Keep a log suit in your backpack and only put it on when attacking something so that it lasts longer. Always have at least one spare weapon in case you get attacked with a low percent remaining on your primary one. Build a couple of chests and put them near both touchstones, with an axe, some food, some logs, etc. so that if you get regenerated you'll have stuff to get you started and won't just die right away again. (You can build something at your basecamp and carry it to set it down elsewhere, not sure if everyone knows that.)

Oh, and use nighttime to get yourself organized. I cook, eat, and organize my supplies at night. Empty Chester, build new chests, etc. Everything in the same place so that I don't have to panic-hunt for a spear when being attacked. Also, I like to build my camp with one side to the water and then build a stone wall against the other sides, with tooth traps stacked at the entrance for the big winter attack guy and the hounds.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Bad Demographic

Those are good ideas. I tend to leave some stuff near the touchstones (an axe, some already chopped wood, some grass) but it never occurred to me to put a chest of stuff there - really good idea.

I've made it to day 43 or so. Got lucky because the winter attack guy attacked the pig-man settlement next door. I figured this out when I passed through and saw meat, boards, and stones in places where there used to be pig houses. Maybe I should make some new pig houses over there? Does their population grow?
Also, I got really lucky when I went out to dig up berry bushes and was attacked by a hoard of hounds at night. I was way to far from the beefalo but I had a firestaff (or whatever it's called). I kept lighting the hounds on fire as I ran around and around and I guess some of them must have blundered into a beehive because suddenly the hounds were preoccupied with something else. I figured out it was bees because one attacked me. The next morning there was monster meat and stingers all over.

Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:Those are good ideas. I tend to leave some stuff near the touchstones (an axe, some already chopped wood, some grass) but it never occurred to me to put a chest of stuff there - really good idea.

I've made it to day 43 or so. Got lucky because the winter attack guy attacked the pig-man settlement next door. I figured this out when I passed through and saw meat, boards, and stones in places where there used to be pig houses. Maybe I should make some new pig houses over there? Does their population grow?
Also, I got really lucky when I went out to dig up berry bushes and was attacked by a hoard of hounds at night. I was way to far from the beefalo but I had a firestaff (or whatever it's called). I kept lighting the hounds on fire as I ran around and around and I guess some of them must have blundered into a beehive because suddenly the hounds were preoccupied with something else. I figured out it was bees because one attacked me. The next morning there was monster meat and stingers all over.
After winter, be sure to wander around where the pengulls had their areas. You can cook stale and even spoiled eggs in the crockpot, and a lot of times they will leave a LOT of eggs around. If you can get a beefalo hat, befriend some pigs and take them through a beefalo camp while the beefalo are in heat. They'll kill the pigs (and/or the pigs will kill them) resulting in easy meat for you. Pigs do seem to re-spawn even after they get killed.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Bad Demographic

Sigh. Died at night on day 53 - I think a lightning strike nearby burned up everything around me, and me.

Black Lives Matter
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Ugh, don't setup permanent camps near boulder zones, at least in DST. Meteors fall in and around those areas to replenish the boulders, which unfortunately tends to blow up a lot of stuff.

At least they changed it so that if a meteor hits a chest, it doesn't blow up everything, it just knocks stuff out of the chest and it survives.
Bad Demographic

Good tip, Turtle.

In my new game I got lucky and found Beefalo on day 2. In my previous game it took me until day 11.

Black Lives Matter
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Touchstones?. Well crap. That would have made life easier.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Bad Demographic wrote:Sigh. Died at night on day 53 - I think a lightning strike nearby burned up everything around me, and me.
I had a really, really nice camp set up and lightning torched all the berry bushes I had dug up elsewhere and re-planted in my camp. :( I'll be able to go get more, and fortunately it only burned down half of the trees near me (well, half of the half still left after I accidentally burned some of it myself) but it was a bummer.

I found a third touchstone yesterday. I'd never seen more than 2, so that was new. Now I have a great camp and 3 activated touchstones. I'm feeling pretty good and will probably die to something completely stupid. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

MHS wrote:
Bad Demographic wrote:Sigh. Died at night on day 53 - I think a lightning strike nearby burned up everything around me, and me.
I had a really, really nice camp set up and lightning torched all the berry bushes I had dug up elsewhere and re-planted in my camp. :(
Gaps in tree lines and berry fields are now part of my regular planting patterns.
MHS

Post by MHS »

GreenGoo wrote:
MHS wrote:
I had a really, really nice camp set up and lightning torched all the berry bushes I had dug up elsewhere and re-planted in my camp. :(
Gaps in tree lines and berry fields are now part of my regular planting patterns.
That's some good advice that I should have incorporated on my own. :(

What are items that are worth making/not worth making that I might not be thinking about?

I haven't played around with the weapons too much beyond the spear and axe. I made a ham bat and was pleased with what a punch it packed, but disappointed with its short lifespan. I like things measured by use rather than days, I guess. My favorite weapon so far has been the tentacle spike, but I'm scared of fighting tentacles to get them.

I think I'll try making a lightning rod, which I'd never thought would be all that useful until my bushes burned up.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My play time is from before the DLC and before many, many patches. I wouldn't have a clue what to do today.
Bad Demographic

I think a lightning rod is a good idea. I put one in my settlement area.
The current character (who found beefalo on day 2) survived winter. I've also found four "thing" pieces but not the place where you have to take them to travel to another world, so I've been exploring. I was running around in a huge woods and there was a thunderstorm. At night! (I found that if I run around all night with a torch, the map will show anything near where you were, even if you couldn't see it at the time - good for finding resources and things to avoid). I ran and ran and eventually the fire burned itself out. I haven't decided yet if I should go back and collect many dozens of charcoal.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Damn. Died. I was being chased by a horde of spiders (spawned by a queen) and decided to lead them to a lureplant (with its attendant eyeplants) but ran a little too close to the eyeplants.

Black Lives Matter
Lyno

Post by Lyno »

Bad Demographic wrote:Damn. Died. I was being chased by a horde of spiders (spawned by a queen) and decided to lead them to a lureplant (with its attendant eyeplants) but ran a little too close to the eyeplants.
Carry 3 box traps with you at all times. You can use those to kill off spiders, frogs and any other small ground animals (like rabbits). Just lead the spiders past your trap and it'll be caught and killed.

Tentacles, Pigs and spiders don't like each other. Not sure about Tallbirds and spiders/pigs.

Make multiple permanent campsites so you're not caught in the dark if you stray too far. One to two main campsites near beefalo/rabbits/pigs. And a bunch of smaller satellite campsites that has a firepit and some logs.

-Lyno!
Bad Demographic

What's a box trap?

I made it to day 79 and was feeling pretty good. I survived two winters (was at the end of the second one), killed three MacTusks and finally found the bridge to the "island" I could barely see from multiple locations. Unfortunately, the way was blocked by a row of Killer bee hives (I lured a MacTusk family there) and I got a bit impatient, attacked a hive to try to lure out the bees, hit some wrong keys and ran right back into the hive area. Boom! Dead. Sigh. Oh well, now I know what Killer Bee Hives look like and know that I can defeat the MacTusk things.

Black Lives Matter