Don't Starve

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Don't Starve

Post by LordMortis »

About three months too late for winter to be coming...
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Not if it's the Game Of Thrones kind of winter!
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Vix wrote: Winter update is coming... video is here...
I would be more excited about this except I can't seem to survive past day seven :cry:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's a day 7?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Vix

Post by Vix »

Klei has been hiding clues and puzzles in their videos and the decrypting of these puzzles is sort of a game itself (taking place in their forums). Anyway here is the fruits of the latest puzzle...

The origin video.

aaand...

Eureka -> Right click on it and hit play...
Visit my webcomic: http://epicgotime.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Or maybe someone told you how to get here. In which case, I am even more impressed! Convincing others to do all of your hard work is the mark of a true intellect.
:lol: He is quickly become my favorite ever. I love his art, his presentation, and it really sounds like he's enjoying his passion.
Vix

Post by Vix »

You should see the conversation going on back and forth in the decrypting threads... the winter Morse code puzzle for instance.

Clues have been dropped by "Maxwell" by the editing of prior posts in the thread. As if he were a malicious entity enticing the response he wants... They have done a wonderful job of developing that character as an antagonist. If anything they add a healthy dose of paranoia.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've gotten an email saying the Winter Update is live. Great, more things to kill me :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Would anyone be so generous as to share their extra copy with me? - thanks moghedian! Installing now.
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Vix

Post by Vix »

A Winter's Tale
Full list of changes/updates.

Now if only I actually had time to play it.... ;_;
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Need to get back and play this... and see how hard it must be now...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If anyone has an extra install code, I'd love to give this a try. (Late to the game as usual.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Vix

Post by Vix »

Two updates have rolled through since we last visited this game... I've been busy... not playing games.

Doorway to Adventure:

Release notes.

A Little Rain Must Fall:

Release notes.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Gawd I need to get back to this.

I... Need... More... Time... (and to set Eador down)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holy crap have they done a lot with this game since last I picked it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ae9tlgS3w4" target="_blank

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/sho ... We-re-Live" target="_blank
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Aaaaand.... released.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So it sounds like you can actually "complete" the game now? I might have to get back into this. Looks like they've added a lot since I last played.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lordnine wrote:So it sounds like you can actually "complete" the game now? I might have to get back into this. Looks like they've added a lot since I last played.
As far as I can tell you can actually complete the game six times before you actually complete the game. Also they will still be adding new content for another six months.
Adventure Mode is done!
Can you escape through a long, arduous journey of 5 randomly generated worlds, and learn Maxwell’s secret?

We’ve put a lot of effort into creating randomization between and within each level, so every playthrough presents new challenges. Exploration and adaptation is key, and only the best survival experts will make it all the way to the end. There are tons of changes, tuning, and new features within adventure mode, but listing them all would ruin the surprise!

So grab that Divining Rod and journey on -- if you dare.
We’re not done updating, of course - we’ve promised six months of post-launch content updates, and that’s exactly what we’re going to do.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just tried to play and steam appears to be down as it can't connect to the key server, says there's no connection (since I'm writing this, I know that's not on my end) and the forums seem offline. Anyone else having issues?
He won. Period.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

I noticed my Steam client wasn't registering my internet connection, yeah.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trying proposed solution:
This error results from the improper delivery of necessary game files. Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:

Completely exit Steam.
Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam)
Delete the 'appcache' folder.
Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam
Will let you know
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Solution works for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like it was just a temp outage. Only lasted about 10 minutes or so. Now I'm good.
He won. Period.
elite

Post by elite »

I'm thinking about buying it, but I'm wondering if it's not boring after a couple of hours?
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

I have a free steam code for this game that I can give to anyone who wants it.

First person to PM me with their Steam name gets it.

[claimed]
Last edited by Covenant72 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

elite wrote:I'm thinking about buying it, but I'm wondering if it's not boring after a couple of hours?
It's far from boring after 39 hours played so far. It's an RTS wherein you control only one unit and the tech tree (and survival) is tied to alchemy. Randomized tilesets make each game unique.

Don't read guides/hints would be my advice. A core element that makes this game so engrossing is discovering how things work. Which usually involves some form of pushing the big red button to see if it kills you, but hey, better luck next time!

I'm stuck at ~20 days survived, so far. Somehow I always end up low on hp, low on resources, winter is coming and... did you hear that?!?
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Finally got it... Played my first game... made it to day 26ish... I was exploring as winter was hitting and night was coming, so I head back to base, knowing I'll just make it and who is waiting for me as I arrive but a gang of beasts... it gets fully dark as I cant make a torch, get my fireplace going and i die horrifically. I kill the bums, but they kill my sidekick (chesty?) and I lose the rocks I needed for a heating stone. I die of exposure shortly thereafter :)

thoroughly enjoyable game that may suck up many hours of my life.
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Covenant72 wrote:I have a free steam code for this game that I can give to anyone who wants it.

First person to PM me with their Steam name gets it.
You have pm!
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraegor wrote:
Don't read guides/hints would be my advice. A core element that makes this game so engrossing is discovering how things work. Which usually involves some form of pushing the big red button to see if it kills you, but hey, better luck next time!
I'm hepcat, and I approve this message.
He won. Period.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

I did learn one key non-spoiler thing today. It is easier to kill mobs using WASD and spacebar, instead of point-clicking with mouse. Finally managed to kill several big bads once I discovered how much simpler it was to dodge then attack using WASD controls.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Just a quick anecdote:

I've owned this for a while but didn't want to play during beta and I finally decided to jump in with the introduction of trading cards.

I specifically avoided reading about the game because I wanted to discover strategy on my own. After several 4-7 day games just learning about the mechanics I decided on what I would do. On day 2 or 3 I got hungry and ate some monster meat I had picked up and promptly keeled over dead :icon_lol:.
Lyno

Post by Lyno »

I've been playing the heck out of Don't Starve for the last week. My gf enjoyed watching it so much that I got her a copy too (and she doesn't like PC games). Now she's addicted.

The latest patch introduces Caves (an underground layer that's treated like one of the Adventure worlds, ie if you die you respawn back in the regular world). Be sure to carry a light source at all times. I died when attacked by two cave spider things from a dark patch. I killed one but didn't see the 2nd one til I was dead.

PS: Thanks mtkafka for the game!

-Lyno!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Teggy wrote: I finally decided to jump in with the introduction of trading cards.
Trading cards?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You need to be invited to the Steam trading card beta. If you are, then some games (Don't Starve, HL2, Portal 2- maybe some others) will drop trading cards as you play. It's my understanding that there are 8 per game which you can trade in for badges but you can only get 4 yourself and have to trade for the rest)

Note: I haven't done any myself so the numbers might be off
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

IceBear wrote:You need to be invited to the Steam trading card beta. If you are, then some games (Don't Starve, HL2, Portal 2- maybe some others) will drop trading cards as you play. It's my understanding that there are 8 per game which you can trade in for badges but you can only get 4 yourself and have to trade for the rest)

Note: I haven't done any myself so the numbers might be off
The number per game and the number that will drop differs (Don't Starve will only drop 3 cards and only has 5 total, vs. 4/8 for HL2, etc.) but you've got the concept right.

The benefit of doing it is crafting badges when you get all the cards for a game. Crafting will generate coupons, background, emoticons for chat and some other stuff.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh, didn't know about the coupons. That might be worth it... The rest I don't really care about
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

IceBear wrote:Oh, didn't know about the coupons. That might be worth it... The rest I don't really care about
The things you don't care about you can sell for cash on the marketplace. Although by "cash" I may mean about 89 cents a piece. Depends on how rare and the market is still figuring itself out.
Vix

Post by Vix »

It's time to notch another post. But first... since our last discourse, twin updates, it might behoove you to examine:

Update: It's Not a Rock patch notes.
Update: Underground! patch notes.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So this is on sale for $8.99 or 2 for $13.49 via the Steam Summer Sale. Anyone interested in half of a two-pack?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I decided to pass on this during the summer sale only to have a friend gift it to me for free later the next day and I must say had I known how fun this game is I wouldn't have passed on it till now!

I have no idea what parts would be spoilers for people and I tried to keep it spoiler free but just in case:
Spoiler:
Since starting yesterday I've played 4 or 5 games and managed to get to day 29 on my last one. But then winter came. I was holding out through winter. I had a bit of a rabbit farm going with a bunch of drying stations and a crock pot I was churning out food and staying alive just fine, in fact I was prospering. I had some rabbit earmuffs to keep me warm and I had a nice big camp with wooden walls, a bunch of berry bushes on one side, a tree farm on another side, saplings on a third side and grass on the 4th side. I was really moving along and doing well. Even winter wasn't much of a problem, I had to spend more time sitting around the fire to stay alive and my time to get things done during the day was short but I was still doing fine and even was contemplating stealing some penguin eggs. But then it happened.

I was cutting down trees from my tree farm for the much needed firewood through the winter and I had another tree wake up (my second one for this game, the first one I took to some pigs and spiders and let them take care of him) but this time I couldn't seem to get rid of him, so I lit him on fire a few times and spent two terrible nights away from my established camp with little campfires barely making it through the night without all my supplies. Finally on the third night the tree finished me off as I was trying to escape again. I had recently managed to activate an alter that allowed me to respawn but I had died away from my camp and therefore all of my warm clothes was away from camp. I tried to stay in camp to stay alive but without my warm clothes or firewood it wasn't going to happen so I ran from my camp towards where my stuff was. I almost made it there before I died from exposure. And that was the end of Wilson that time.
So far I do really enjoy this game but it seems they have changed the research tree from earlier (at least from what I gather from reading previous posts). My research doesn't seem to be there again when I start up and I have to start all over, so it looks like that has changed.