Don't Starve

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Don't Starve

Post by GreenGoo »

For some reason this latest update has dampened my enthusiasm. Can't identify what the problem is. Still playing though.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The new backpack & armor change is too clunky for me. It's fine to make us have a choice, but right now you're just encouraged to keep your armor in your backpack and try and quickly swap when things get hairy. I don't like inventory clicking speed & precision defining how well I do. There should be a swap hotkey, or the ability to wield both, or it should be outright impossible to even carry both at the same time so you're stuck with whatever you chose to leave camp with.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

wonderpug wrote:The new backpack & armor change is too clunky for me. It's fine to make us have a choice, but right now you're just encouraged to keep your armor in your backpack and try and quickly swap when things get hairy. I don't like inventory clicking speed & precision defining how well I do. There should be a swap hotkey, or the ability to wield both, or it should be outright impossible to even carry both at the same time so you're stuck with whatever you chose to leave camp with.
+1
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I think he should make it so the backpack can sit in your regular inventory, but it can't be 'open' there... It can only be open on the ground, or on your back.
Also, the armor shouldn't fit in the back pack.
Then, it would work just like weapons (probably cut-n-paste most of the code) where you could right click the item (or now use the hotkeys) to put it in the appropriate body slot.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Anyone else with double monitors having trouble since the last patch? When I try to start the game it loads halfway across my 2nd monitor so I cant see left side of the game at all.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lordnine wrote:Anyone else with double monitors having trouble since the last patch? When I try to start the game it loads halfway across my 2nd monitor so I cant see left side of the game at all.
Just tested it. Nope, although the patch did muck up my video settings and I had to reconfigure them.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Beefalo make an excellent hound deterrent. The question is, do beefalo respawn? :oops:

And research is way easier. I should finish it this round without too much trouble if I take the time to play. The nice thing about not taking a ton of time to play at a chunk is that I'm more cautious. Maybe I'll live longer and learn more of the game now instead of resetting and taking 20 days to build a solid base camp.

Other changes, you need to fertilize grass when you move it and you can't stack it in the nice tiny plot you used to be able to. The good news is that you don't need to given that grass now produced 3 research and every thing is cheaper to research than it was.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Why is it that I never found anything to give me fertilizer in multiple plays and a couple of world resets but those damn hounds have found me within a couple days in my last two worlds :grund:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

JC Anejo wrote:Why is it that I never found anything to give me fertilizer in multiple plays and a couple of world resets but those damn hounds have found me within a couple days in my last two worlds :grund:
Honestly, at this point, because beefalo are so important to "easy" survival, I would generate worlds, walk the edges until I find vast fields that contain beefalo within two days walk and then replay that world from the start. If I was feeling more up for the challenge, I'd play a nomad game until I found a good camp, but I'm not, so I'm not above exploring the world for five minutes and then rebuilding the world if I don't like it.

Hounds coming after you on day 2 is not a problem if you are in a beefalo field, just keep around the beefalo and the hounds will eventually attack the beefalo. In a 1 to 1 fight the beefalo will win, however 2 hounds will take a beefalo, so it's best to run the hounds in a herd and watch the herd pounce.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Had the same problem. Feed pigs flowers and they poop fertilizer.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now build release(d?) today. Looking for what's in the update but the site appears to be down.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just watched a youtube video on the Naughty & Nice update (in Spanish, or was it Italian...I think Italian)

(perhaps this is Old news, actually)

the video showed:
Spoiler:
Looks like they added a large (gilded?) bird cage.
Also, maybe added 'rabbit' meat?? could tell.

And then they showed the guy taking one of the large blue eggs and hatching it near his campfire. and gets a pet little huge-eye bird....
and then some other guy rides into his camp and takes things...

oh boy
EDIT: I think the site is back up...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote:
Spoiler:
Looks like they added a large (gilded?) bird cage.
Also, maybe added 'rabbit' meat?? could tell.

And then they showed the guy taking one of the large blue eggs and hatching it near his campfire. and gets a pet little huge-eye bird....
and then some other guy rides into his camp and takes things...

oh boy
Spoiler:
I read in previews that you now catch stuff live and can train it or eat it. And the other guy Krampus, the thief. I don't know what triggers him but now I'm guessing your chests aren't safe. The alpha preview I watched a bit of showed a guy with a whole bunch of the bird eye beasts babies following Wilson all over the place.
Edit: Not for me.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@dontstarvegame.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, not sure I like what I saw with the NPC running into his camp and breaking his chest open like that.... :|
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

There's also a hidden image in the video you can piece together from the times the video breaks up.
Spoiler:
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

wonderpug wrote:There's also a hidden image in the video you can piece together from the times the video breaks up.
Spoiler:
:shock:
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NEW FEATURES

Krampus will punish you if you are too naughty.
Don’t make the bees angry.
Spider nests are crawling with activity.
Bird and rabbit traps are more animal friendly.
You can build a bird cage.
You can hatch Tallbird eggs to gain a new friend.
Steam client runs at 60hz on fast computers.
Game saves on exit. It also auto-saves every mornings.
Updated minimap art to make biomes more readable.

GENERAL FIXES:

Traps should work properly again.
Dead pigs respawn more slowly
Tweaked the fire fuel values a bit (they were too high after the hot fixes)
Cooked mandrakes actually have effects now.
Tallbird eggs are no longer stackable.
Enlarge Image

Have I mentioned how much I love the style/art/vision of this game.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

LordMortis wrote:
NEW FEATURES
Game saves on exit.

Awesome!
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

LordMortis wrote:
NEW FEATURES

Bird and rabbit traps are more animal friendly.

I'm not sure I understand this. I am now able to capture rabbits, but can I do anything with them other than butcher them?

I think I preferred the old method, unless there's something I'm missing about filling up your inventory with live rabbits.
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

unless there's something I'm missing about filling up your inventory with live rabbits

Filling up your inventory with live rabbits IS the reward
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Hopefully the next patch gets rabbit hutches in it so they have more use. Not sure I like the vibe they are sending out that eating meat is "evil" I like the concept of making rabbits less useful as once you had a good rabbit farming traps set up hunger wasn't an issue but this is a big change with the only real good option is becoming a vegetarian or hoping to survive killing evil meat which isn't the easiest early on.
Dr.Awesome

Post by Dr.Awesome »

Hey guys, I'm new here and this game seems AMAZING, I was wondering if anybody has a spare copy because I'd love to play this game
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Dr.Awesome wrote:Hey guys, I'm new here and this game seems AMAZING, I was wondering if anybody has a spare copy because I'd love to play this game
Dr. Awesome? Unless your name happens to be Bjørn Lynne, you're using the same nick as a pretty legendary guy from the demo scene. :P
Insert witty comment here.
Dr.Awesome

Post by Dr.Awesome »

TiLT wrote:
Dr.Awesome wrote:Hey guys, I'm new here and this game seems AMAZING, I was wondering if anybody has a spare copy because I'd love to play this game
Dr. Awesome? Unless your name happens to be Bjørn Lynne, you're using the same nick as a pretty legendary guy from the demo scene. :P
Lol that's not my name, I use this username because I think it's pretty cool
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Wait - you created a new account to beg for a game that can't be lent out? It's $12 on Steam right now. Go for the AMAZING!
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

wonderpug's post reminded me to check in on this game

There's now a Spider Queen

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/blog/" target="_blank

God I love their posters.

You may now go back to your collection of fine hat making.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

For some reason, I play this game for like 4-5 days, get my guy all 'established'... and I'm all ready to look into some new content in earnest, then I do something stupid and die.

last time, I never went back and started again. Sigh. I loved my time playing - I just got a little sick of restarting entirely.

Maybe I just don't really need to 'establish' myself as much as I do... I mean - I sit there and farm and collect manuer for weeks until I have a reserve of Stacks of food... then I die from a spider being all stupid/brave.... with a freak'in Amulet in my inventory, none the less.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I think I'm going to buy this to support Klei but I'll wait until release to play it. At least I'll get $2 off and the giftable copy.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

OK, who wants my giftable copy?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'll take it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'll take it.
OK, I'll shoot it to you this evening.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you very much. I notice that you don't have SpaceChem in that mountain of games. Want a copy?
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Isgrimnur wrote:Thank you very much. I notice that you don't have SpaceChem in that mountain of games. Want a copy?
Well, I purposefully haven't picked it up because I've heard it's kind of complicated and I tend to get put off by complicated games. Unless you think I'd like it, don't worry about it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

After a few levels, it broke my brain and I haven't been back to it. It definitely requires a certain type of thought process that I do not excel at.
Vix

Post by Vix »

Two updates have rolled through... they have added food spoilage, a new pet, and the ability to dig up the terrain layer and place it where you want it.

Spoiled Rotten:
Food spoils over long periods of time. Stale and Spoiled foods are less beneficial. Rotten food is practically inedible, but can be used as fuel or fertilizer.
Health and hunger values have been re-tuned across the board. Characters have a larger hunger buffer now.
Crock pot foods are stackable.
You can build a fridge to mitigate spoilage.
New unlockable character: WX78, a robot who can eat spoiled food with no penalties, and who hates all living things.
Steam cloud can be disabled (details here)
Camera controls for streamers/youtubers: CTRL+P will freeze the camera in place. CTRL+H will hide the hud
Smallbirds grow up to become angsty Teenbirds. Teenbirds grow up to be Tallbirds and leave the player.
The mysterious Otto Von Chesterfield can be found in some swamps. (You will need a regen to find him)
Beefalo travel in proper herds now. Herds regenerate off-screen (currently with adults)
Beefalo herds become agitated when they go into heat, and will chase away the player if they are not wearing a beefalo hat.
Beefalo sometimes drop a beefalo horn, which can be used to move beefalos around.
The spiderhat is no longer craftable - you just wear the queen's head directly. It also can't be used to steal spiders from an existing queen.
Turf:
* Butter muffin is no longer invisible in the crock pot
* Items drop from hives when destroyed by Abigail
* Fixed some typos
* Fixed rabbits not respawning from holes sometimes
* Creatures keep their targets between save/loads
* Birds render in the bird trap again
* New items will try to stack into existing backpack/equip stacks
* Fixed an infinite mandrake exploit
Visit my webcomic: http://epicgotime.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Haven't checked in on this in while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 45HaGCg-EY" target="_blank

Looking like a whole lotta different game from the last time I checked in.
Vix

Post by Vix »

Insanity! Update is out... it really changes the game a lot. Now you have to cope with sanity in addition to health and hunger. Losing sanity distorts the game world. Oh and they added another new character Wes... he's a mime, and considered "hard mode".

I love this game by the way... oh and they have added modding support so people are making mods.

Full list of updates

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Insanity is a good addition to the game. It fits thematically and the art style lends itself very well to it imo.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Been giving this a try, and it seems like fun. But I keep hearing a spear is the essential tool to surviving the hounds around day six, and I have yet to see how to make a spear. Science machine gives many new things, but I don't see that as a choice -- must be blind. But needless to say, i am having trouble getting past about 6 or so days.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Vix

Post by Vix »

The spear is under the fight tab. Look for two crossed swords.

it takes a rope, two twigs, and a piece of flint (first you have to unlock/make a rope with three grass).

Winter update is coming... video is here...

They have a Livestream Event that will be shown today.